• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Of course not literally clones, just around here that's the term used.
Ah, right.

@ComradeCamera: I think it'd be great for both versions. Of course, the DS version will have customization, but nobody knows what kind. I'm hoping it's something like making your own character.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Interesting one of my friends suggested 8-Bit Link for a new Zelda rep it would be interesting but it's not going to happen.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah, he doesn't worry about staying accurate at all. It's not just with movesets either. Falcon's supposed to be like Batman: showing up out of nowhere, doing the impossible, then leaving without saying much (if anything). Marth's Smash quotes make him a braggart, but FE Marth is anything but. I don't recall Luigi ever being so camp in anything else either, or Wario being awkwardly animated.
I never understood why characters like Marth were made to be so out of character. I understand if there's not much to go, but that's the case here.

Anyway, I'm fine with liberties in movesets, but you gotta be careful with. Ness having Paula's PSI attacks was one thing as Flash and his normals gave him distinction. Lucas, on the other hand, had no real thought into his moves. Yeah, a lot of his canon PSI attacks are stat based, but that's something that hasn't been done before and would've made him stick out in a good way. At first, I was against the idea, but after seeing characters like Jam and Hakan using stat based moves, I thought it was cool if done right.

Well, considering you have a guaranteed way to heal, yes. If it's random and has a chance, it's not broken. For example, if Luigi's Forward B has a 50% chance, it'd be way too powerful.
Adding in randomness is nothing more than Fake Balance. What I thought would work for characters like Luigi and Game and Watch was for there to be a meter system, and these kind of attacks would require some of the meter to do them. This way, you don't need luck on your side so much.

Anyway, if a character has a similar body structure, or the same, they might have similar moves. That's what I meant.
That's a very big generalization. Look at most fighting game characters. Most, if not all of them, tend to be in very good shape and may have different bone sizes, but their very builds do not indicate their moves. You wouldn't think, for example, that Bob from Tekken is actually a very fast character, and then you have Makoto from Street Fighter who is actually a slow walker with very damaging combos.

In short, don't use appearances as a rationalization.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Adding in randomness is nothing more than Fake Balance. What I thought would work for characters like Luigi and Game and Watch was for there to be a meter system, and these kind of attacks would require some of the meter to do them. This way, you don't need luck on your side so much.
Welcome to Smash Bros. Which isn't a traditional fighter. That's why.

That's a very big generalization. Look at most fighting game characters. Most, if not all of them, tend to be in very good shape and may have different bone sizes, but their very builds do not indicate their moves. You wouldn't think, for example, that Bob from Tekken is actually a very fast character, and then you have Makoto from Street Fighter who is actually a slow walker with very damaging combos.

In short, don't use appearances as a rationalization.
Those games aren't Smash Bros. and have no bearing on my point. It happens to be the case for SSB and only SSB. The only reason we had the clones in Melee was that they were easy to program due to use similar body structures. This was very specifically the case for Ganondorf.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Krystal: No one gives a damn about Star Fox after 64 outside of furries. Minor side character outside of Adventures.
All take my furries over your lolis anyday.

why? because I attempted present a legitimate opposing viewpoint rather than join the mob of people ****riding mewtwo? cute.
Your arguments never hold up under the microscope. "Lucario is more popular than Mewtwo" will always be false, and Google battle or whatever is a poor choice to prove that. There is a reason why no one sides with you whenever you try to debate that subject.

@Costumes, if we get any, I don't think everyone would have them. It would probably very few characters. Like, Wario, Mario and PT or something. Ading Mr. L and Armor Mewtwo is just sort of like adding weird/unnecisary costumes that don't make as much sense as Wario's, Mario's and PT. They have Iconic characters/looks within them, who could be implemented via costumes.

Wario's Overalls 4Smash.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Welcome to Smash Bros. Which isn't a traditional fighter. That's why.
So what's your point? Randomness doesn't add anything to this kind of game. If you're trying to have a serious match, wouldn't you prefer that the outcome was made due to factors that you and your opponent could control?

Those games aren't Smash Bros. and have no bearing on my point. It happens to be the case for SSB and only SSB. The only reason we had the clones in Melee was that they were easy to program due to use similar body structures. This was very specifically the case for Ganondorf.
Again, what's your point? That was the case for the most part for clones, but that's only because those characters were added as clones deliberately. In other circumstances, I doubt that body structure would have such an emphasis on a character's moves. It's just crazy to think that for any game.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Interesting one of my friends suggested 8-Bit Link for a new Zelda rep it would be interesting but it's not going to happen.
Have you ever played Smash Bros in 8-Bit? They actually have Mario, Fox and Kirby as well, it's definetly a good a bit mugen game.

:phone:

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
I'm just going by what Toise and --- are saying about Smash characters not being 100% true to their game due to made up attacks.
Actually I was highlighting things that weren't movesets because those are obvious to everyone. On that note, I don't think there's any single property that hasn't been changed on at least one character:

- Characterization
- Voice
- Size (in relation to same-series characters)
- Design (either outfit or character)
- Movesets and fighting characteristics (occasionally excluding source material entirely)

It's not limited to characters either, but eh. Point is stuff can and will change to make characters fit.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So what's your point? Randomness doesn't add anything to this kind of game. If you're trying to have a serious match, wouldn't you prefer that the outcome was made due to factors that you and your opponent could control?
It adds fun. Or do you think that only pure technical moves with no chance of error is the only way to have fun? Both are fun in their own way. Don't act like randomness is a terrible concept by default. That's silly. It's only in competitive tournaments that it's a problem. But in the regular game, it's fine.

Again, what's your point? That was the case for the most part for clones, but that's only because those characters were added as clones deliberately. In other circumstances, I doubt that body structure would have such an emphasis on a character's moves. It's just crazy to think that for any game.
But not for Smash Bros. That's how it's been applied so far. Also, may I note the tons of Shoto Clones out there? Or clones in general? Since you refuse to not apply it to other fighters(which don't matter to Smash). Smash Bros. will always have clones, and the only clones are of the same body structure. Both are dependent on eachother.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Body structure being a good reason for making a character a clone is silly, but we know Ganon got in because of it, I think.

Outside of that, I don't think I would put too much stock into the clone by body type thing. It's only happened once so far.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I'm not talking about Grand Metropolis, Omega, you silly goose :laugh:

I'm talking about Metropolis Zone from Sonic 2.

I like both stages but Metropolis Zone is crazy difficult so that's why I said it pisses me of.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It adds fun. Or do you think that only pure technical moves with no chance of error is the only way to have fun? Both are fun in their own way. Don't act like randomness is a terrible concept by default. That's silly. It's only in competitive tournaments that it's a problem. But in the regular game, it's fine.
Not at all, in fact, I hate technical skill when it exists solely as a deliberate technical barrier (see L-Canceling). I enjoy the footsies and mix-up aspect of fighting games more because that's where my randomness comes in.

That being said, I fail to see why a move must have a random factor. It can be done well like Zappa's stances where the switch is based on the timer. You shouldn't need coded in randomness to enjoy a game.

But not for Smash Bros. That's how it's been applied so far. Also, may I note the tons of Shoto Clones out there? Or clones in general? Since you refuse to not apply it to other fighters(which don't matter to Smash). Smash Bros. will always have clones, and the only clones are of the same body structure. Both are dependent on eachother.
I never said that other games have clones. And Shoto Clones are fine as that's actually an archetype considering just about every 2D fighter has at least one.

OmegaXXII

@ --- See, you broke that discussion in an instant, btw...I'll be back tonight with a little something you guys might want to see, well adios.

Edit- nevermind, seems Kuma brought it up again.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not at all, in fact, I hate technical skill when it exists solely as a deliberate technical barrier (see L-Canceling). I enjoy the footsies and mix-up aspect of fighting games more because that's where my randomness comes in.

That being said, I fail to see why a move must have a random factor. It can be done well like Zappa's stances where the switch is based on the timer. You shouldn't need coded in randomness to enjoy a game.
L-Cancelling was an excellent skill. Removing it from Brawl just made the game more casual. More than it needed to be. I hated that it was taken out. Yeah, you see, I like the idea of something that might happen, albeit, it shouldn't be too much. There is nothing really wrong with randomness in general. Things happen. Also, saying L-Cancelling was bad is the problem. Why was it bad? Because it required good timing? There's nothing wrong with SOME technical aspects in a non-technical fighter. Just like there's nothing wrong with some randomness. Is Mr. Game & Watch Judgment bad because it might hurt you? The fact that it may hurt you or may help you allows it to have a nice variable of moves.

On the technical side, we have Marth/Roy's Dancing Blade/Whatever it was named(been a while). It was made super easy in Brawl, but it requires skill in Melee to pull it of. Skill and Randomness have always been a part of Fighters. They're nothing wrong with having both.

I never said that other games have clones. And Shoto Clones are fine as that's actually an archetype considering just about every 2D fighter has at least one.
That doesn't make them fine just because they're some archtype. What, it's accepted because it's constantly done? That doesn't make it actually acceptable any more than regular clones are. They're both clones in general. Just some are less similar.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@ --- See, you broke that discussion in an instant, btw...I'll be back tonight with a little something you guys might want to see, well adios.

Edit- nevermind, seems Kuma brought it up again.
lol. I guess I did, although I'm not sure if it's for better or worst. :laugh:

Anyway if that broke up discussion here, I wonder what would happen if I posted some of the links I have on Gamefaqs... :laugh:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I was thinking about Bomberman lately, and on the off chance that the totally deserving White Bomber got in, who would you prefer to be his AT?

Here are a few ideas I had:

Max
Black Bomber
Bagular
Altair
Sirius
Pretty Bomber

I think Kuma was referring to L-Canceling being difficult for no real reason, but I could be wrong. Sort of like how we have two jump buttons, but short jump is made more diffcult to use just because. It should have taken one of the jump buttons, but it didn't.

OmegaXXII

lol. I guess I did, although I'm not sure if it's for better or worst. :laugh:

Anyway if that broke up discussion here, I wonder what would happen if I posted some of the links I have on Gamefaqs... :laugh:
Well according to Star and SSBFan it seems they would actually need someone like you to provide such referances since it seems they also tend to use personal bias rather than logic. :laugh:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Did Chu even bring him up here? He did in the Smash 4 discussion group, but did he here? This place is dead. I know how to clear a room.
Yeah, I posted the roster here. It's kind of a crazy suggestion. I don't even think it would happen.

You know how everyone wants to make out with Takamaru? WHY? He's such a random pick, I mean there's a single quote from that one time once. I just don't see the appeal. Even more so, I don't see the REASONING behind him. Is it seriously that single quote? I mean, you like Mach Rider, I like Donkey Kong Jr because I am a total sucker for him, but why does everyone else like TAKAMARU?
He's in the same boat as Samus, Link and Pit. They are part of the Famicom Disc game which were much larger adventure games compared to Mario and Ice Climbers and the likes. He's a classic character over there.
His name hurts my throat. I just don't see the appeal. Enlighten me Oasis_Shorts.[/QUOTE]

@SHERIFF: YEP. I just think it's funny that SmashChu said he's going to go against conventional wisdom, yet turns around and says "WELP. WE GOT G&W AND ROB, SO I GUESS THAT MEANS SHERIFF." Accepting the pattern instead of thinking why it exists! FOR SHAME!
Really isn't the conventional wisdom since no one thought about the idea until I mentioned it. There has been mentions of other people for a "retro," character and Sakurai has done it twice, so I took up the challenge and tried to guess it. Of course, I think it's unlikely as ROB and Game and Watch made some sense and were important enough in their own right.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well according to Star and SSBFan it seems they would actually need someone like you to provide such referances since it seems they also tend to use personal bias rather than logic. :laugh:

Well I'm working on it right now. ;)

Although I doubt many will listen of course. :laugh:

But it's nice to know I'm moving up the usefulness ladder. :awesome:

OmegaXXII

Well I'm working on it right now. ;)

Although I doubt many will listen of course. :laugh:

But it's nice to know I'm moving up the usefulness ladder. :awesome:
Wow, that saying alot, I doubt I could handle GameFaqs myself, it's too much, also good luck. ;)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wow, that saying alot, I doubt I could handle GameFaqs myself, it's too much, also good luck. ;)

It's not that bad, honestly. The Brawl boards have a lot of people who are problemsome.(I gotta love the Elitist accusations) But some of the other boards for lesser known games aren't nearly as bad. Basically, the more popular games often have fanboys/haters than the unpopular games. It's odd, really.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
He's in the same boat as Samus, Link and Pit. They are part of the Famicom Disc game which were much larger adventure games compared to Mario and Ice Climbers and the likes. He's a classic character over there.
Okay, so he's just a cool character in Japan. He had a game they like. I guess that's similar to how Little Mac is here, so I get it now. I don't know how many of his supporters here have played his game, not that it matters much.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Thank you and it's done. :laugh:

Although I don't know what Star and SSBF see in the place though. Oh well, I'm ready to hopefully watch some sparks fly back there. "Grabs Popcorn." :cool:

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Also, in regards to GameFAQs, even with links no one will listen to you.
This is a sad fact. :facepalm:

Still I'm hoping to get at least some reaction to ease my bordom with the place.

OmegaXXII

It's not that bad, honestly. The Brawl boards have a lot of people who are problemsome.(I gotta love the Elitist accusations) But some of the other boards for lesser known games aren't nearly as bad. Basically, the more popular games often have fanboys/haters than the unpopular games. It's odd, really.
Yeah, and Smash 4 is one of those games where alot of heated discussion happens as well, at least alot of stuff that doesn't even make sense, but okay lol..

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't lolis either. I did make a moveset for Lip though.
My point was, just because a character's fanbase is perverted, doesn't mean you should stereotype everyone of them.

I like Krystal, but not her porno.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, and Smash 4 is one of those games where alot of heated discussion happens as well, at least alot of stuff that doesn't even make sense, but okay lol..

The point was that the bigger games happen to get more bad attention, that's all.

The boards themself isn't as bad as you make it. Not every board is full of annoyances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom