• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If a Donkey Kong character does make it into Mark Kart 7, but it is Cranky Kong. How would that affect your speculation in terms of newcomers for the next Smash?

D

Deleted member

I think development will start early next year. When the game gets to the stage where it starts making copies, that's when I think SSB4's development will start (I believe it's three weeks before Japanese's release, right?).

With costumes, I only see three characters getting them; Mario, Wario, and (if he's in) King K. Rool.
KumaOso said:
Adding in randomness is nothing more than Fake Balance. What I thought would work for characters like Luigi and Game and Watch was for there to be a meter system, and these kind of attacks would require some of the meter to do them. This way, you don't need luck on your side so much.
I disliked the luck factor that was needed with those characters as well. Have them charge up until their strongest attacks comes (similar to where DK winds up his punch).

D

Deleted member

zero.

we got Funky Kong in Mario Kart Wii but the DK reps were still stuck with only Diddy in Brawl
Mario Kart Wii came after Brawl. So I think Mario Kart 3DS may affect speculation or at least strength current speculations.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
I'm not talking about Grand Metropolis, Omega, you silly goose :laugh:

I'm talking about Metropolis Zone from Sonic 2.

I like both stages but Metropolis Zone is crazy difficult so that's why I said it pisses me of.

:phone:
Did you see that link I posted? Crazy speed runs haha

Sonic stages are a love/hate thing for me when they're difficult. I wish the games nowadays are more like SA and the old ones. Heroes was pretty fun, but the team thing was gimmick like the werehog thing.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Lol..you know what I always tell my bro? That Lucario resembles Piccolo's voice lol...

DBZ Smash Cast..

Sonic - Goku
Fox - Vegeta (scouter)
Lucario - Piccolo
Mewtwo - Frieza
Donkey Kong - Saiyan Monkey.

When I was REALLY young, I use to play smash and RP they were DBZ characters...

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Well, I meant overall movesets. Most of it needs to be the same to really be called a clone. And I don't mean a Shoto Clone.(which we kind of have with Mario, Luigi, and Dr. Mario)

But yeah. Luigi is more than different enough from Mario now. The rest share the same special moves, but only to an extent.
Alright, sorry to bring this back again.
So a Shoto Clone is what you're referring to with the "clones" I'm talking about right?

MechaWave

Smash Champion
How does a spin-off game influence the main series and speculation? Spin-off games have no value character-wise.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If a Donkey Kong character does make it into Mark Kart 7, but it is Cranky Kong. How would that affect your speculation in terms of newcomers for the next Smash?
If Cranky Kong is the new Donkey Kong character for Mario Kart 7, it won't do anything for his chances. Cranky Kong is not a requested character nor can he be an appealing character. He also would not represent anything in regards to the Donkey Kong series where he is usually nothing more than a background character.

The only three characters I can see Sakurai choosing for a Donkey Kong newcomer are K. Rool, Dixie Kong, and Donkey Kong Jr.

Donkey Kong Jr.'s only chance at possibly being a choice for a Donkey Kong newcomer would be if he ends up being a playable character in Mario Kart 7. There are two things that make him a possible plausible addition to be added. One is that is that he was a playable character in the first Mario Kart, and Mario Kart 7 seems to be taking some nods from the original (such as coins). Also, the Mario Kart series seems not to mind placing in younger versions of characters that are already playable in the game (see the babies).

However, if Cranky Kong did end up being the new character, I think there is also the possibility that Sakurai may decide that K. Rool and Dixie Kong are no longer relevant to the series, and end up deciding DK does not need a newcomer. However, if he does decide not to give Donkey Kong a newcomer, I can see him giving DK lots of new content in other areas (more Assist Trophies than other series, more stages, more boss fights).

D

Deleted member

How does a spin-off game influence the main series and speculation? Spin-off games have no value character-wise.
It shows that the character hasn't been completely forgotten by Nintendo and are at least somewhat relevant.

The Mario Kart franchise is one of Nintendo's biggest sellers on consoles and I have yet to find an exception to the rule. They are also high quality and IIRC, Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii sold more then Brawl.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Alright, sorry to bring this back again.
So a Shoto Clone is what you're referring to with the "clones" I'm talking about right?
I'm saying they're both types of clones. Obviously, they're not the exact same kind of clone.

Some clones use the same body structure, while other use the same moves. Shoto Clones are based upon using the same moves. They don't automatically share the same body structure though.

^^^ Agreed. I'd rather have playable characters from the main series FIRST. If you've exhausted all the other good options, okay. But until then...

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
I'm saying they're both types of clones. Obviously, they're not the exact same kind of clone.

Some clones use the same body structure, while other use the same moves. Shoto Clones are based upon using the same moves. They don't automatically share the same body structure though.

^^^ Agreed. I'd rather have playable characters from the main series FIRST. If you've exhausted all the other good options, okay. But until then...
Alright, I guess I'm using the term very loosely compared to you. So Fox and Kirby are considered Shoto Clones?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Alright, I guess I'm using the term very loosely compared to you. So Fox and Kirby are considered Shoto Clones?
No. They don't share enough similarities with how Shoto Clones work. They lack a fireball, something similar to a Hurricane Kick, and a Dragon Punch. Those are the key defining factors. I admit that have some similarities, though. But anyway.

I honestly don't care who's added as long as they're balanced, and not from only a spinoff. (presuming as I said before, all other good character options were exhausted. Bowser Jr. should be added before Waluigi, for example. And I prefer Waluigi more, so that's saying something)

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Did you see that link I posted? Crazy speed runs haha

Sonic stages are a love/hate thing for me when they're difficult. I wish the games nowadays are more like SA and the old ones. Heroes was pretty fun, but the team thing was gimmick like the werehog thing.
Yeah lol I replied to it as a matter of fact.

Dont remind of the Werehog lol

At least Generations looks dope :grin:

@SSBF- MK Wii has so far sold almost three times as much as Brawl (almost 30 million compared to Brawls 10-11 million?). TBF though now it's being bundled with newer Wiis, I think.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
It shows that the character hasn't been completely forgotten by Nintendo and are at least somewhat relevant.

The Mario Kart franchise is one of Nintendo's biggest sellers on consoles and I have yet to find an exception to the rule. They are also high quality and IIRC, Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii sold more then Brawl.
I agree with this; which is why we are bound to see K.Rool if he indeed makes an appearance being that he wouldn't have been forgotten.

OmegaXXII

@SSBF- MK Wii has so far sold almost three times as much as Brawl (almost 30 million compared to Brawls 10-11 million?).
dude, the werehog game, was it really bad as people say it is? I heard Sonic 06' was horrible, I've never played it however.

But yea, seeing as MKWii sold way more copies, one could say it will definetly have some influence in Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
dude, the werehog game, was it really bad as people say it is? I heard Sonic 06' was horrible, I've never played it however.

But yea, seeing as MKWii sold way more copies, one could say it will definetly have some influence in Smash.

MK Wii may. Although to be fair, I don't remember any spinoffs affecting character choice so far.

Also, Sonic 06 isn't horrible, it's just a bit under mediocre. It can be fun, atleast the most in multiplayer due to glitchy shenanigans. Sonic Unleashed was a fairly good game too, although it had problems too.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Sonic '06's story is the only derp I know of.

I never played it either Omega, so I have no idea what gameplay is like.

Sonic Unleashed was pretty good, but not as good as Colors.

If they had just stuck with the day stages (no Werehog, and no Chip), added Knuckles and made it more like SA3 theoretically, it would've been so kickass. :urg:

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
No. They don't share enough similarities with how Shoto Clones work. They lack a fireball, something similar to a Hurricane Kick, and a Dragon Punch. Those are the key defining factors. I admit that have some similarities, though. But anyway.

I honestly don't care who's added as long as they're balanced, and not from only a spinoff. (presuming as I said before, all other good character options were exhausted. Bowser Jr. should be added before Waluigi, for example. And I prefer Waluigi more, so that's saying something)
You said Shoto Clones are based by move sets:
Fair, Dair, FTilt, UpTilt, DSmash, UpSmash already look the same
FSmash, DTilt, Bair, UpAir, Jab are basically the same thing
That's basically all their Standards, their differences are Throws and Specials

@SSBF- MK Wii has so far sold almost three times as much as Brawl (almost 30 million compared to Brawls 10-11 million?).
Gotta look back :O

I hope Generations has some sort of Chao Garden similar to SA2. I know Heroes is pretty much a sequel to SA2 (Shadow arguably is after that) but there should really be a SA3.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You said Shoto Clones are based by move sets:
Fair, Dair, FTilt, UpTilt, DSmash, UpSmash already look the same
FSmash, DTilt, Bair, UpAir, Jab are basically the same thing
That's basically all their Standards, their differences are Throws and Specials
They could be considered clones, just not SHOTO ones, which is what I'm saying.

Gotta look back :O

I hope Generations has some sort of Chao Garden similar to SA2. I know Heroes is pretty much a sequel to SA2 (Shadow arguably is after that) but there should really be a SA3.
I'd rather wait for them to actually have atleast six playable characters AND a Chao Garden to be called "Sonic Adventure 3". Unleashed was meant to be it, but they omitted all the multiplayer for some reason. I really wish they'd have included it. Multiplayer in Sonic Games is a lot of fun.

D

Deleted member

@ChronoBound: You said yourself that almost every character the general public considers "likely" has a good chance of missing out. Aside from Mega Man, is there anyone else you consider to be "likely" (AKA one that you consider unlikely to not make the roster) as of right now?

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
They could be considered clones, just not SHOTO ones, which is what I'm saying.

I'd rather wait for them to actually have atleast six playable characters AND a Chao Garden to be called "Sonic Adventure 3". Unleashed was meant to be it, but they omitted all the multiplayer for some reason. I really wish they'd have included it. Multiplayer in Sonic Games is a lot of fun.
You said Shoto's are based off moves, which is what I listed :confused:

That's what I'm saying, there should be a SA3 like SA2, 1 or a mix of both (<-YES). Story-wise it's Heroes and then Shadow the Hedgehog after that (same characters in Heroes). I didn't play a lot of Unleashed, but the Werehog parts felt boring.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You said Shoto's are based off moves, which is what I listed :confused:

That's what I'm saying, there should be a SA3 like SA2, 1 or a mix of both (<-YES). Story-wise it's Heroes and then Shadow the Hedgehog after that (same characters in Heroes). I didn't play a lot of Unleashed, but the Werehog parts felt boring.
Ah, you misunderstood. You see, Shoto Clones are specific to 3 moves, a Spinning Move(Kick, Punches), a Dragon Punch, and a Fire Ball. They need to share all 3. But those only apply specifically for Shoto Clones, not clones in general.

As for Unleashed, I found the Werehog more fun than the day stages. I hated how it was on rails. I don't find that fun at all. Let me actually control it specifically. Overall, I thought the game was mediocre. I enjoy 06 more, truthfully.(due to Silver being a lot more fun, and well, you weren't on rails outside of some levels, but that wasn't what most of the day stages were)

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
@HyperFalcon
Ooh okay like Dragon Punch (DP/Z) Fireball (QCF) and Spinning (HCF?), other fighting game terms. How are you applying that to Smash?

I liked the dodging in the day stages in Unleashed, but I didn't play too much of the game to really judge. I played a demo of 06 and it vaguely reminded me of SA2 gameplay wise but that's about it. I heard Colors was pretty fun tho. Still, all these gimmicks don't seem to make up for how the older titles play.

OmegaXXII

MK Wii may. Although to be fair, I don't remember any spinoffs affecting character choice so far.

Also, Sonic 06 isn't horrible, it's just a bit under mediocre. It can be fun, atleast the most in multiplayer due to glitchy shenanigans. Sonic Unleashed was a fairly good game too, although it had problems too.
Well, MK may have not had any character influence towards Brawl, but since MKWii did sell alot of copies after Brawl was released and seeing as Mario Kart 7 is coming out soon, if that game is received well and sells alot Sakurai may take note of this, this is especially critical if there happens to be a character that needs a boost in relevance which would help their chances if MK7 does indeed sell well, meaning Sakurai might look at it for characters as well aside from possible music themes and stages alone.

As for Sonic 06', yeah I heard it was very glitchy as well, The werehog game should have been more like SA2, at least from what I've seen, but I'm guessing Sonic Generations will turn just fine?

I also liked Sonic and the Black Knight, yeah....I'm the only one who enjoyed it, even if it did have an ackward control style.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@HyperFalcon
Ooh okay like Dragon Punch (DP/Z) Fireball (QCF) and Spinning (HCF?), other fighting game terms. How are you applying that to Smash?

I liked the dodging in the day stages in Unleashed, but I didn't play too much of the game to really judge. I played a demo of 06 and it vaguely reminded me of SA2 gameplay wise but that's about it. I heard Colors was pretty fun tho. Still, all these gimmicks don't seem to make up for how the older titles play.
Mario, Luigi, and Dr. Mario used all 3 of those moves. That's why they can be called Shoto Clones. Also, Spinning Kicks, a Spinning Barrage of Punches(Hurricane Kick and Mario Tornado). Shoto Clone was coined via Street Fighter, but it can apply to any fighter.

Yeah, Sonic 06 actually was almost a remake of Sonic Adventure 1, albeit with some obvious differences. Many of the levels were remade. Wave Ocean was basically the same as Sonic's first level, for example.

The thing is, I'm sick of the really bad gimmicks. I mean stuff like On Rails and Werehog. Not a new and interesting style like Treasure Hunting, the Mechs, or even Guns. They all had a new style that made the gameplay different, but not directly frustrating.

^ Well, MKWii couldn't have had character influence towards Brawl due to it coming out atleast 2 months later. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if they got REMINDED of characters due to spinoffs, but I don't believe spin-off specific characters have a better chance of getting in than a character from the main series. That's my point.

Sonic 06 was pretty darn glitchy, but it still had some well made stages and excellent music. The story was a bit crazy, but not as bad as people say it is. In what way would the Werehog be more like SA2? In fact, it was closer to the slower platforming that the old games had. As for Sonic Generations, it probably will be closer to the original games and the speed will be more reasonable to play with. Black Knight? I liked it, but it was too short, and I hated that Tails wasn't playable... at all.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Damn it, moar Sonic suggestions, I must do (Yoda FTW):

Story Mode Select:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrGkRCK4dLU&feature=related

2-Player Select (:grin:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_5qGQ5a0Y8&feature=related

For True Story (my favorite SA2 moment ever):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWA42v0OUVA&feature=related

Fly In The Freedom- reminds me of my sig ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypSdAOqESWI&feature=related

Dry Lagoon (sexy):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7QyTu9LKkA&feature=related

****ing Meteor Herd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6wvK14QWhU&feature=related

Last but not least:

Aquatic Mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LIsQuFX9Xk&feature=related

Lets take a dive
In Aquatic Mine
Once was a coal pit
But now its a water ride

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Why do so many people assume they know what my intentions are for asking a question? I wasn't trying to insinuate that Cranky Kong. My question was for Chronobound because he is using Mario Kart Wii to evaluate Donkey Kong characters, and I just wanted to throw a scenario out there. Not that I needed to elaborate, still... Goodness.

OmegaXXII

^^Well, I hope that didn't include me, I was merely speculating the fact that a character like K.Rool could get Sakurai's attention due to it not being forgotten and already popular, I'm going by what Chrono and SSBFan pointed out.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well I just checked my Gamefaqs thread and surprisingly all the comments have been positive. Although the thread isn't as popular as the troll threads. :facepalm:

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
lol Yamcha, before you edited I started listening to 64 Final D after the training stage :p
There was no unlockable 64 music in Brawl? How sad...I think that brings back the missing music data Star posted like 1000 pages ago haha

@HyperFalcon
Spinning Attack was based off Senpukyaku right? I don't know if the term should really be incorporated in Smash since the attacks are based of button inputs (Z, QCF, QCR).

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I would not think too much of it. You are at least promoting intelligent discussion, that is what counts.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@Goku- IIRC, only that remix of the Staff Credits track from 64 was in Brawl. I bet someone else could probably answer that better than I can.

Oh Star honey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom