• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thino

Smash Master
So do you guys think Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends With You has any chance as a Square Enix rep? His game was successful and he has great moveset potential.

:phone:
not sure if Square Enix has expressed any interest so far when it comes to including characters in Smash

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And where are you getting that from? There were no "generation wars" taking place. There wasn't even a war taking place. I was just stating my opinion, and asage was stating his. No flaming, no ad hominem attacks, none of that. A simple debate =/= war.

)
Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh. I've been involved in too many a Pokemon discussion like that that went down in flames. I'm kind of a pacifist. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Anyway, for a surprise, and almost impossible, third-party character, Sparkster the Rocket Knight would fit Smash really well. Plus, he's an opossum. If only the more recent game was on Wii Ware along with Steam, XBL, and PSN...

Phostopheles

Smash Journeyman
So do you guys think Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends With You has any chance as a Square Enix rep? His game was successful and he has great moveset potential.

Not gonna happen. Square is on great terms with Nintendo, but if they include a rep, it will be either incredibly popular (Cloud, Sora), tied to the Mario franchise (Moogle, Black Mage), or both (Slime, random DQ character). TWEWY is neither.

Thino

Smash Master
Square has a pretty good relationship with Nintendo: it wouldnt be too unrealistic for them to have a rep in SSB4.

They sure do. but I still think since they are not developping the game alongside Nintendo , unlike Mario Sport Mix for example, they have to express the interest , just like with Snake and Sonic

at the moment , nobody really knows so maybe they have

Phostopheles

Smash Journeyman
HUFF.

I added a bunch of suggestions and now this just turned into something silly. >:I

YOU GUYS...
Yeah, that's getting pretty rediculous. Captain Syrup, Ghirahim, Prince Fluff, DHD, Black Shadow, Chibi Robo, Roy, Meowth, Deoxys, and that stupid yellow thing can all be considered out of the running.

Also, guys, I think I really, REALLY want Takamaru and Kanan in. Even more than Tingle.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
...Someone asked for Chibi-Robo?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ah, I see xD

Anyway, Phostepheles, who do you mean by the "Stupid yellow guy?" I don't see Homer Simpson on that list anywhere!

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Slime, duckhunt dog,meowth and...whatever the hell the little 8 bit man with a gun is will not make.

Calling it right now.

EDIT: and deoxys. FLAME ON!

Phostopheles

Smash Journeyman
Ah, I see xD

Anyway, Phostepheles, who do you mean by the "Stupid yellow guy?" I don't see Homer Simpson on that list anywhere!
The yellow thing beneath Meowth.

Slime, duckhunt dog,meowth and...whatever the hell the little 8 bit man with a gun is will not make.

Calling it right now.

EDIT: and deoxys. FLAME ON!
The 8 bit man is Sheriff, from Nintendo's first arcade game. He might get in on the same logic as G&W and R.O.B., which is why I don't completely discount him. Maybe Sakurai will be decent enough to give him a makeover like he did with Ice Climbers and Pit.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Muddy Mole isn't stupid...

I can give an explanation if needed.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
A good pool only needs... 20 characters at most. I thought 30 was a good number to make everyone happy. But 45...

...I did forget Jiro even though I made a little icon for him. Oh well. NOT MAKING IT ANYHOW.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Theres 2 reasons going be sakurai logic though that deny this guy brawl access.

1. Sakurai things guns are EEEVIL!
2. Sakurai only adds people that would want to be played as or our interesting. He actually doesn't think that much about series representation.

That and I mean g&w is already our wtf 8bit character. If I can choose any WTF character for the next game its gotta be tingle. :D

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Eh, the way I see it, he'd make for a nice ROB/Game and Watch-type retro. Has a bit of a following, too. Plus, he is actually shown fighting. I will admit that that isn't the most flattering picture of Muddy...

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Yeah, that's getting pretty rediculous. Captain Syrup, Ghirahim, Prince Fluff, DHD, Black Shadow, Chibi Robo, Roy, Meowth, Deoxys, and that stupid yellow thing can all be considered out of the running.

Also, guys, I think I really, REALLY want Takamaru and Kanan in. Even more than Tingle.
Nah.

10overlords

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Eh, the way I see it, he'd make for a nice ROB/Game and Watch-type retro. Has a bit of a following, too. Plus, he is actually shown fighting. I will admit that that isn't the most flattering picture of Muddy...
I honestly thought he was starfys manly older brother going by the picture. xD

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I just recently discovered something about Lip that may indirectly boost her prospects for Smash 4.

Apparently, the Japanese Panel de Pon fans were very upset that Panel de Pon DS had "no ounce of cuteness". Many of them wondering "Where's the cute?"

They were bitter over the game not having Lip and the rest of the Panel de Pon cast as the main protagonist and main theme to the game. To them the game had no personality.

This may be good for Lip because Intelligent Systems might consider re-introducing Lip to the Panel de Pon series. If she is re-introduced, then her chances for a playable spot in Smash Bros. are greatly increased.

Here is the link to the review of Panel de Pon DS that shows the discontentment of the Japanese fans:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/任天堂-13306191-パネルでポンDS/dp/B000NOLWDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316900515&sr=8-1

I think this proves that Lip is seen as the "face" of the Panel de Pon.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
you guys are saying the exact same thing
Notice Iwata, and the creator of Dragon Quest in that picture? I was being sarcastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxXEl7t5OtI&feature=relmfu

In this video, they talk about "How easy it was" for a third party to get their game working on the Wii U pad. Hopefully the rumors of the Wii U pad having trouble are just not true.

Also, guys, I think I really, REALLY want Takamaru and Kanan in. Even more than Tingle
You know how big of aa contradiction this is? You want Kanan, but you tell everyone who wants other unlikely characters it's not gonn happen. That's kind of silly.

Phostopheles

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to keep typing away about this because I find it interesting.

I think Kanan's chances are better than Shulk's. My support:

Famitsu gave The Last Story 38/40 (two perfect 10s), while Xenoblade Chronicles only got 36/40 (all 9s). This is the only review system I've found with a quick google to rate both games on an even playing field, and granted it's not that significant, but the fact that one received perfect scores and the other didn't is still something worth noting.

Xenoblade Chronicles has sold 230K copies, while The Last Story has only sold 180K. But that is on a global scale, which includes Xenoblade's recent release in Europe. If you only look at Japan sales, Xenoblade Chronicles only sold 150K. The Last Story is set for a 2012 release in Europe, and will undoubtedly make up and surprass the difference if it is similarly received in Europe.

Nintendo of America has leaked plans to eventually localize The Last Story. The same cannot be said of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Xenoblade being released earlier than The Last Story in Europe was actually more of a curse than a blessing. Sure, Shulk is more relevant now, but will he be in three to four years? If The Last Story is released in Europe next year and America shortly after, it'll be fresher in gamers' minds. Of course, this could go the other way as if either gets a sequel Xenoblade's will be sooner, and more likely to beat SSB4.

The development team for Xenoblade Chronicles was clearly second string. Takahashi and Shimomura are very talented (I'd even argue Shimomura could write circles around Uematsu)...but Sakaguchi and Uematsu are an unbeatable team. That and its art just kicks *** all around.

Kanan is a hot, scantily clad, sabre-wielding mage-chick protagonist. Shulk is a generic, spikey-haired, infinity-plus-one-sword-wielding fighter-dude protagonist. Scarcity creates value.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Actually, in terms of fan feedback, the Japanese vastly preferred Xenoblade over The Last Story. The consensus about Xenoblade over there is that it was a great game, whereas the reception regarding The Last Story was very mixed.

Phostopheles

Smash Journeyman
You know how big of aa contradiction this is? You want Kanan, but you tell everyone who wants other unlikely characters it's not gonn happen. That's kind of silly.
Kanan is just as much of a coin flip as any other new franchise. But I'm not going to pretend that nobodies like Captain Syrup and has-beens like Deoxys stand even the remotest chance of being included.

Actually, in terms of fan feedback, the Japanese vastly preferred Xenoblade over The Last Story. The consensus about Xenoblade over there is that it was a great game, whereas the reception regarding The Last Story was very mixed.
This is interesting. Because as far as I can tell reviews have been about equal.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
You know, it really just sank in just how FAR away this game is.

Sakurai won't start working on it until kid Icarus is done, which won't be till Q1 2012. Assuming they finish the actual game in January (that's being optimistic in its own right), and sakurai takes maybe a 2 week vacation before starting his next big project, pre-production won't even start till February 2012 at the earliest. And for a big game like smash, pre-production can take a long time.

Even if it only takes a few months, we'll be lucky if they even have a teaser trailer ready for E3. We'll probably only get a name and a logo. As for the actual game itself, it will definitely take AT LEAST a year and a half on top of that if it wants to be anywhere close to the size of brawl. Also, attention will have to be divided between two games, one for the 3DS and one for the Wii-u which could make it take even longer.

The dojo will probably re-open some time in 2013, which means we'll have to wait until then to start seeing characters and actual screenshots (unless we get a trailer from a nintendo conference or e for all or whatever) and at the absolute earliest I could see a winter 2013 release DATE. More realistically a Q1 or Q2 2014 release since there will most certainly be delays. Either that or we might get the 3DS version first, and then the big Wii-U version months later.

tl;dr we won't hear a thing about newcomers until at least a year from now, we probably won't get the dojo for another year and a half, and the actual game might be 30 months away. This is a long wait.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Wow, I feel weird entering this thread listening to this great Western-themed piece. I feel like an outlaw.

What do you like about Takamaru? Personally, I've never understood what makes people like him so much. Not that I'm against him, I just see better and more interesting choices than him.

In terms of the list, though, it really is getting too big. I recommend for the sake of simplicity cutting the following:
  • Prince Fluff
  • Deoxys (as much as I hate to say he's unlikely)
  • Muddy Mole
  • Captain Syrup (as as I hate to say she's unlikely)
  • Mach Rider
  • Chibi-Robo

Ah, so that's what it's from. I still don't think his chances are good.

Also, terrible thought, guys: what if instead of Kanan or Shulk we get...Ende?
Not really a terrible thought. Ende looks cool to me - I mean, just look at this gameplay trailer for Pandora's Tower.

That said, he's unlikely since Nintendo appears to have zero plans for his game to release outside of Japan and his game was the weakest sales and reception-wise in Japan among the three Rainfall titles.

Plus, I'd much prefer Kanan or even Shulk over him.

♥Actually, Ghirahim, Meowth and Duck Hunt Dog have not and rent out of the game just yet, they have plenty going for them, we don't know what Sakurai wants and is capable of including, also Shulk is more likely than Kanan, sales aren't a big concern since Shulk definetly sold more anyway, plus he's Nintendo's newest IP as well.
I take it you did not read Phostophele's latest post on Kanan Vs. Shulk?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

Edit-Nope Java, just got here. :urg:

♥Actually, Ghirahim, Meowth and Duck Hunt Dog have not and aren't out of the game just yet, they have plenty going for them, we don't know what Sakurai wants and is capable of including, also Shulk is more likely than Kanan, sales aren't a big concern since Shulk definetly sold more anyway, plus he's Nintendo's newest IP as well.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
What do you like about Takamaru? Personally, I've never understood what makes people like him so much. Not that I'm against him, I just see better and more interesting choices than him.
♥ I am somewhat in the same boat when it comes to Takamaru, I don't find him appealing at all and yet people seem to request him out of nowhere, I guess it has to do with Samurai Warriors 3 releasing in the west, considering his game is originally Japan only based.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom