• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Ruleset May Hinder Falco

Vlade

Social Outcast
If you are up to date with the brawl tactical discussion, then you may have come across this thread http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205140. Basically it's a new ruleset for brawl, with many stages that have been banned, infinite banned, etc.

Unfortunately for us falco mainers one of those many stages that have been banned is Japes.

Personally I'm outraged, but there is definitely a reason to why it is banned (along with Rainbow Cruise and other stages which probably shouldn't have been banned, but that's just IMO).

Anyway without being biased, discuss the logic in banning Japes being banned and of course, what everyone already knows, what's good and bad about this ruleset change.

Please remember I'm not saying that this ruleset will be for every tourney or anything, but I have a feeling that it will become the standard.

Hopefully this may spark some decent discussion.

Andurian

Smash Cadet
This is... interesting to say in the least.

My friends will be glad about the banning of the infinite.

I am still learning Falco and had a really bad time with Jungle Japes yesterday O_o. Everytime I grabbed the side, a croc bit me and killed me... so I can kinda see why it's banned. Somewhat....

I also kinda suck at the stage as well.

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
Yes, the new rule set takes our best counterpick stage, but it did the same to many others.

No more Luigi's mansion shutting down our laser game, not to mention the horrible matchups on that stage against ROB, Olimar, and Metaknight.
We also don't have to worry about people being saved from a spike by Norfair and Brinstar.

Then if you choose to eliminate Lylat and Orpheon, you won't have to deal with any of the horrible stages that Falco tries to avoid.

dainbramage

Smash Journeyman
At a guess, the ban is for the randomness introduced by the crocs.

Other than that, their tiebreaker damage taken deal is bad IMO. In, say, an even match of Snake vs Metaknight, you'd expect the Snake to have a higher %, compensated by his higher weight.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Insane camping and gimps.

Nothing much else to say.

If you rely to much on this counterpick, then you should probably just get better with Falco lol

Also, as Falco players, be happy that Luigi's Mansion is banned.

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
shouldnt be bad if u dnt rely on japes to win a match in a set..
and da banning of infinites can only help da smash community so.....i see nothin bad here..

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
I see no reason for banning many of these stages, personally. Corneria? The Great Sea? What the hell. The crocs are the only thing I can see wrong with Jungle Japes, and they aren't that bad. It seems like they need to focus on banning unsportsmanlike TECHNIQUES instead of stages that allow them to be used. It's like banning guns instead of punishing murderers...stupid.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Doesn't matter to me. I got Japes banned in Florida back in April. Dreadz, you probably don't care about it because you haven't experienced it's greatness.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Isn't that the point of counterpicking though? Maybe the first match should be a non neutral level, then the loser counterpicks, then the last match is fought on a neutral stage.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
The ban of Japes affects very little, because anybody who knows the Falco matchup would ban it themselves anyway, honestly.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Unfortunately brinstar is still on the counterpick list :( Final Destination will probably be our best bet from now on if these rules are made standard.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well losing Japes is a blow, but at least Luigi's Mansion is gone, I'm completely helpless on that stage.

Denzi

Smash Master
I see no reason for banning many of these stages, personally. Corneria?
A lot of characters have infinates against the wall there, and D3's is the only one actually banned.

Falco's been no more disadvantaged than any other character that lost their CP stage. my complaint is that these rules do seem to take some of the fun out of the game:(.

Mithx, what's with the Espeon?

Carbonated

Smash Cadet
Well atleast they removed a few other stages that are bad for falco. Brinstar is still there though D:

I can see why they banned Japes. Falco ***** everyone there as far as I know.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
eh....well lets just say that i personally think these rules are bull****, and JJ banned is only one of the reasons i think why. well on the bright side, at least lylat isnt a neutral anymore and rainbow cruise and luigi's mansion are banned. >__________>

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
You guys will learn why getting japes banned is horrible. This means no more final destination because that's what everyone's going to ban against you.

Mith_

Smash Champion
So you think we should be playing on 75m with all items on?

Rules are needed, and I like the new rules, they help a lot.
Hell yea dude. Falco rules on 75m and when he gets the beam sword you can't beat him.
that's not what i meant and u know it. they took out a LOT of playable levels, makes counterpicking useless.

@denzi: espeon is like the best pokemon besides mudkip rofl.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
So you think we should be playing on 75m with all items on?

Rules are needed, and I like the new rules, they help a lot.
LOL. >_>. youre right, rules ARE needed, but that doesnt mean ban like all the stages except 10. and if there's any stage worth banning, it's lylat, which is still in there. also, banning D3's infinite is stupid, stupid, stupid.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
LOL. >_>. youre right, rules ARE needed, but that doesnt mean ban like all the stages except 10. and if there's any stage worth banning, it's lylat, which is still in there Explain? I think it's totally fair.. also, banning D3's infinite is stupid, stupid, stupid So you think him with his amazing grab range being able to infinitely rack up damage on 1/7th of the cast of Brawl is OK?.
Comments in bold.

K 2

Smash Lord
You think its bad for you guys?

G&W lost his THREE best stages...RC, Corneria, and Green Greens. Wth. Do you want us all to play on FD for now on?

The crocs on japes aren't bad...you have to be in the water for them to kill you, and if you're in the water, that's your fault.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
ok you two, sorry if i dont make sense cuz im kinda pissed and tired at the same time right now...but ill try to explain.
ok first, lylat is just a personally hated stage, i think the stage tiliting is a bit unfair, but it's mostly just my personal hate, so forgot it. x]
and anyways, i think banning the infinite will just lead to more bull**** like that. i mean, there are bad matchups, like falco vs. GnW, and then there are almost unwinnable matchups, like DK vs D3 (due to infinite). HOWEVER, there are many other unwinnable (or **** near unwinnable) matchups like fox vs. pika, which also involves a cg. or take something like mario vs. MK, for example. from what i've heard, the matchup is almost unwinnable. if you take the best mario player vs the best MK player, there is very very little percent chance the mario will win? now, does that mean MK should be banned against mario? does that mean pika can't cg fox? NO. i think, even though i agree it's unfair, that by banning this we are just opening the door for other potential complainers and more bans are probably coming, which. atm, i cant say for better or worse, but still.
on an unrelated side note, you two's mains arent victimized by infinites either :p

@ K 2
i know the crocs arent bad, thats why i dont know why JJ wouldnt be banned. but then again, youre right, other "kinda fair" stages have been banned and thats why i think the new ruleset is bs, but thats just my opinion. lol

Skink

Smash Apprentice
Contrary to my little icon, I use DK and Mario. Pikachu just has the best little head icon is all. I used to use him back when I joined here. Havn't got around to changing it. I don't really think I need to argue with you. It's pretty self evident that the infinite is ********. Broken game mechanic leading to no damage kills with no skill required except to land a move that is fast, goes through shields and has loads of range to spare.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Contrary to my little icon, I use DK and Mario. Pikachu just has the best little head icon is all. I used to use him back when I joined here. Havn't got around to changing it. I don't really think I need to argue with you. It's pretty self evident that the infinite is ********. Broken game mechanic leading to no damage kills with no skill required except to land a move that is fast, goes through shields and has loads of range to spare.
oh i know. the infinite is stupid, but so are many other things. anyway, i think what WOULD be stupid is if next thing, people are going ban this, ban that, they take no skill and lead to unwinnable matchups.

§witch

Smash Lord
You think its bad for you guys?

G&W lost his THREE best stages...RC, Corneria, and Green Greens. Wth. Do you want us all to play on FD for now on?

The crocs on japes aren't bad...you have to be in the water for them to kill you, and if you're in the water, that's your fault.
Or you just got chain spiked.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Or you just got chain spiked.
Chain spiking can happen on any level except maybe Norfair (banned, a good counterpick vs D3 and Falco) and Brinstar.

I find these rules ******** and I'm glad Augusta blows and prolly won't follow these rules.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Chain spiking can happen on any level except maybe Norfair (banned, a good counterpick vs D3 and Falco) and Brinstar.

I find these rules ******** and I'm glad Augusta blows and prolly won't follow these rules.

agreed. these rules suck.

Top Bottom