• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

tw1n

Smash Champion
So I already started a bit of advertising. Bryce from AZ said for sure. Nicknyte wants some revenge too :)

And I don't want to spoil it but a big name pro is gonna come to this. Want to know who? Guess you're just gonna have to show up and see!
Lol I will see if I can actually get someone big out here :)

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
where is this japanese festival at? i like japanese things
It's at UNM. I think it's a "language" festival, but they will have Japanesed oriented attractions like origami, calligraphy, drawing, singing, martial arts, and more. I can probably get you some more information if you are interested.

Kind of in that area Davis, yea. I haven't moved, haha. I'll give you my address anyway though.

Hating on macaroni and cheese...is it possible to use those words like that in a sentence? I am going to change your mind Davis. You are going to think that macaroni and cheese is AMBROSIA by the time I'm through with you.
An address works wonderfully, though I mostly remember how to get there.

I'm not really HATING on it, per say... it's just... not my thing, but I'm more than open to trying it again. I do love me some ambrosia.

Davis, have you had macaroni and cheese and barbecue sauce?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
That, actually, sounds freaking delicious. BBQ sauce is a good way to make anything better.0

Davis, does the title appease you.
Yes. Yes it does ^____________^
Very much so actually.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
It's at UNM. I think it's a "language" festival, but they will have Japanesed oriented attractions like origami, calligraphy, drawing, singing, martial arts, and more. I can probably get you some more information if you are interested.
i thought so. all i need is what time it starts at and what building it'll be in and i'll be there. i went last year and i had some damn good onigiri.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
i thought so. all i need is what time it starts at and what building it'll be in and i'll be there. i went last year and i had some damn good onigiri.
It starts at 9:00 AM Saturday (with origami) and then there are several other events throughout the day up until 12:30 PM, I think.

I'll probably be there from 9:30 to 10:30 or 11:00 AM.

I also, if I had to guess, think it is had Oretga Hall. Not entirely sure, though. That's where the language department is and that's where it was held when I went two years ago.

Why is this so funny? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Ef0Cb4UYA

Is it because the annoying guy obviously has a homotastic crush on his roommate? Or is it because the black guy is wearing a shirt that says "I <3 Haters"? Or maybe it's because the black guy really does suck at Mario Kart.
I don't think it's funny at all. It's some mean, stupid *** gang banger ****ing with his roommate who just wants to play some video games. He's being a total ****.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
So, a couple of things proving I'm a massive bum:

1: Can somebody lend me a DS for like a couple weeks? I was unable to repair mine, and I'm not going to buy a used one when the 3DS is coming so soon, but Pokemon Black is out sunday.....

2: If I get up to Erichs, can somebody give me a ride back? I can provide gas money.

(and Erich can PM me his adress so I can find my way up there lol)

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
So, I just saw the best thing:
MBR Recommended Rule Set
Super Smash Brothers: Melee (Singles and Teams)

This is the updated and simplified recommended rule set for Super Smash Bros. Melee. This rule set is strictly recommended in an effort to maintain an encompassing standard for our vast community. This rule set is not for copying into a tournament thread, as some small personal tweaks will still need to be addressed. These are dependent solely on the Tournament Host and any authorized assistance.

*large sinp*

[*]For all Melee tournaments, use of the character Metaknight is banned.

Dekar173

Justice Man
lmao.

@Walker- you really, really need a job and to not give up hope on finding one. Once you have one, that first paycheck will be the best day of your life I assure you.

@shut up paul.

@august- no.

@Davis- when's that thing? This Saturday Molly and I are going to the fiery food show woo >:D

Dekar173

Justice Man
There's no such thing as not finding a job after a year of searching.

Either you aren't actively searching hard enough, or you aren't doing something right during interviews, or both.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
There's no such thing as not finding a job after a year of searching.

Either you aren't actively searching hard enough, or you aren't doing something right during interviews, or both.
Keep in mind the large interval working at active. I did stop looking for a while after that, but I've been looking since the new year.

I could totally believe that I would be terrible at interviews, if only I could get them in the first place >>>

Dekar173

Justice Man
Walker plenty of people told you to keep looking for a job while you were volunteering at Active, but you never listened, so I can only guess how little of this is going to be absorbed by you but, here goes-

1. Be proactive. You have to go in and ask to see the manager. Not "can I have an app?" because that doesn't work unless if they are FRANTICALLY searching for replacements for people who got fired, quit, or a combination of the two.

Speak to the STORE manager (not night manager, day manager, etc.) and convey to them that you are in fact serious about finding a job and willing to work hard, and then ask THEM if you can have a job app.

Fill the job app out at the ****ing store. The instant you leave with the app, your chances at having a good first impression are gone, because they now can't peruse your information after meeting you.

2. Be personable. In your case, this means less opinion and more "yes sir/ma'am" they don't care what your opinion of a product is, or whether YOU would buy it, they care whether you'll be able to shut up long enough to actually sell the product/service, clean it, prepare it, whathaveyou. It's business, where people try to earn a living, if you don't seem like you can handle it, they won't say anything directly to you, and they won't call you back. You're more likely to forget about their store turning you down if they just never call you back, and therefore are more likely to become a future customer of theirs.

When speaking to the manager, give them your first/last name, shake their hand firmly (without having any **** on your hand) and REMEMBER THEIR NAME. LISTEN TO THEM. Do NOT mumble under your breath every word they say, as you normally do. Just listen, and pay attention. The rest of this "mini-interview" should come naturally to you because you are a human being.

3. Be PERSISTENT. Do not wait for them to call you- go in when you remembered the store manager was going to be there, and ask to speak with them (ASK FOR THEM BY NAME, AND DO NOT REFER TO THEM AS STORE MANAGER) again. Ask them if they got around to checking out your app, let them know you're available to speak any time they might call you, etc.

4. Do NOT call every day. If you walked in, spoke with the manager again, and they haven't called you back the next day, that's fine. Wait 1 more day then give them a call, ask for them, and if they don't decide to call you back after this, there are several possible reasons, but they aren't going to hire you.

Timeline-
Day 1: Speak with Bob the store manager, ask him for an app, fill it out and turn it in.
Day 2: Go back in and speak with Bob, bull**** with him if he's not busy, but do not linger.
Day 3: Wait.
Day 4: Call.
Day 5: enjoy your new job.
Day 10-23: Cash your first paycheck ever.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Lol Timotaye nailed it spot on. Except for
Day (sometime) - Go on Vacation
5 days later - hate returning to the real world. Question if you can afford staying one more day.

Iria

Smash Rookie
As strict as it seems, I agree with Dekar's method on how to find a job. Jobs rarely find people and thus most of the time one has to find the job. The only way to get a job without really trying is to have someone you know offering it to (or creating it for) you, which requires you to network with various companies/executives/people etc. But for smaller scale jobs, as opposed to full scale careers, you need to be persistent on obtaining the job, and show the hiring group that you will perform beyond their expectations.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Well if you guys come you can stay at my place.

You have to play Mario Party with Molly though.
Yeah it would be cool! Ill tell everyone. Molly clearly cheats on mario party 2 so we have to play another one. I prefer a gamecube one cause I dont want to get ***** by 10 stars. My mario party pride was hurt bad last time :(.

Davis and Jackie Chan have to be there though.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
so is that (pregame dylan) nolan fest still happening today at 3

if thats case im going to be picking up my vehicle from the east side of town around 12 noon

would be cool if someone put up with me for a few hours cause i don't want to drive back home then back downtown for the fest

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
You can hang at my place until Nolan's fest starts Paul. I might be out until 12:30 though. Please Bring a PS3 pad though, since I can't use a stick for ****

tw1n

Smash Champion
I just saw the most recent character list anounced for MK9. It's huge but awesome! All of the well known and liked characters are in there :)

So for everyone coming tomorrow: if you have a TV or console available for bringing, please bring it. I have two TV's and one console for Brawl and one for Melee. Or two for Melee, etc. We'll need at least two of each for each game to make it fun for everyone. :) Let me know what you can bring! Thanks all yalls. :p

I might be down for a Nolan fest...I'm pretty bored for once, haha.

Top Bottom