• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*NEW* Falco Match-Up Thread ~ Week #13: Olimar

__Gold__

Smash Cadet
Lol
Well for DK you can easy just shield the attacks and try to go for a cg to spike because he has a bad recovery.....

Cloud9157

Smash Journeyman
Thats the other thing that I think DK has on us. He can avoid getting grabbed fairly well. Ground Pound, Ftilt, Dtilt, and Bair all have ridiculous range.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
No good DK is going to die from a chaingrab. All the chaingrab means is a free 60 damage. Fiending for grabs at 0% isn't going to do you any good either.

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
not sure... but yeah his punch can kill at maybe 40-50? idk... all i know is that, no matter how much hes used, hes one of the best punishers in the game.

M@v

Subarashii!
jab beats spindash. Practice stopping sonic's spindash with jab.

Lasers stop it too(duh)

You can cg him, but you have to buffer it or he spring out.

swordsaint

Smash Master
For the record, Sonic has this weird spin dash trick he can do that makes him semi-invincible. I think it makes lasers do nothing...maybe. I do know that this trick can make Snake's nades do nothing though. >_>

swordsaint

Smash Master
bair I think. on sonic it doesn't have muuuuch purpose outside of killing. but seriously. falcos smashes do land ya know. You guys should have a little more faith in your character lul.

serious note, bair and uair, sonic finds himself in the air a lot. and the uair > bair trap is smex.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
spam up and forward smash far away from him, Sonic will eventually run into it.

M@v

Subarashii!
Lollll. If it were only that easy. There are actually good sonics on the EC larry. :)

I get most of my kills with bair. A sonic will get super predictable when your in kill range. They will spam/bait/mindgame fsmash or bair to try and get the kill. Or upair if your jumping around a lot.(spring to upair is one of their favorites)

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
i use bair for damage then after around 120% i use uair to kill, which is surprisingly useful.

superlucario

Smash Apprentice
well first off a way to defeaat lucario is to not fall for are mindgame like when we get you to attack us then roll dodge but then roll behide you and wait until you try and attack us then roll and get you with forwerd smash

kismet2

Smash Ace
well first off a way to defeaat lucario is to not fall for are mindgame like when we get you to attack us then roll dodge but then roll behide you and wait until you try and attack us then roll and get you with forwerd smash
...What? :/ Not trying to be mean but I really don't know what you're saying. And you can't base a matchup off of mindgames, only on options and stuff.

Against Lucario you should Ftilt, laser, and jab because at high percents he can kill easily. His Usmash, Fair, Dair, and Nair all beat phantasm pretty easily with Usmash being the easiest, having a long lasting hitbox. If Lucario is in the air you attack from the side, he's also really easy to edgeguard. And if Lucario tries to roll alot just use the phantasm to punish him.

kismet2

Smash Ace
I want to but my computer crashed so it's difficult trying to get here. I sometimes use wiinet but I'm lazy and forgetful >_>

swordsaint

Smash Master
Hope you get it fixed soon. <3 Or remember and can be bothered to use the wiinet. More top Falco's around can only help. There's not much going on in the public Falco boards. I can't say about the Backroom though. I haven't been invited...yet. *hint hint*

Typ_Ex

Smash Lord
LOL we've stopped talking about lucario after 3 days tops. am i allowed to say that?

swordsaint

Smash Master
I still think we beat Lucario 55-45. Falco's general ability to play it safe, and cut Lucario's options with quick attacks just gives us that edge. We edgeguard Lucario for some extra damage rather well, and if we're mixing it up, won't take too much ourselves from recovering. Don't use IAP's like they're everything here, Lucario will literally break you for it. Just watch out for his low percent combos and strings by spacing and camping properly. Don't airdodge if he upthrows you, expect uptilt juggling. DI his aerial strings away properly, and you shouldn't be taking too much percent at any one time.

As already said, attack Lucario from the sides in the air, because dair will beat out anything Falco has. Also, don't be a tard and run in to ftilts and fsmashes when he's walling you away. Just don't. I can't tell you how many people I see just do stupid crap like that.

Make sure you get the kill before he does. You don't want him being on a high percent with a stock lead, because he'll tear away your second stock before you know what hit you. His stronger attacks are generally easily to avoid as long as you're not using high lag moves or being predictable. (Phantasm especially)

You definitely want to kill him at as low a percent as possible. Even if you've got a huge lead on Lucario, if you can't kill, he'll close the gap easily.

Falco's just has to know the angles that Lucario is open from, and space properly. His throws won't be killing at any noteable percent (that I know of) so if you're trying to tank a stock on high percent, just remember to shield all day and not to worry about the little hits. Once you're at that sort of percent, the little hits are insignificant because your damage is already past killing point.

Just for the love of god, don't forget to jab. It's so broken. It beats almost everything in terms of speed.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
i feel that falco is in advantage of this match up with far more options to use during the match. falco can also pin point lucarios weak points and take away his aura sphere. with proper spaceing in the air you can get past all of lucairos moves as well as bait the hell out of him into using his down air. we control the ground with lazers and when in close we can jab to grab then start lazering him again. I play this match up with my brother D Who? how is a lucario main i have experience with this match up and i am going to say 60-40 falco adv

swordsaint

Smash Master
It's not that heavy an advantage Viper. It sounds like you're just better than your brother. I'll have you know Jab > grab is only good as a mix up, and is not a true combo. We don't take away his aura sphere at all, at worst we make it harder for him to use, but in the right situations it's still a hell of a pain to worry about, especially since it can take out phantasm, if you want to kill Falco.

Baiting a Lucario in to using Dair can only work for so long until they figure out that you're relying on your baiting prowess too much.

Since Falco is a fastfaller, Lucario has enough strings on Falco to make up for it. And he can punish Falco from below really well too.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Me too. It makes for some lols when you're down a set 2-0 then bring it back for the 2-3 win. And you can just be like....you're Metaknight...why didn't you win?

Wulfy07

Smash Apprentice
Lucario isn't that bad. I think most Falcos prefer metaknight cause we know the match up better. Lucario isn't that bad. Honestly, it requires focus and we can't get lazy, but I think Metaknight is just as good at keeping us on our toes so... their both about the same level of annoying. However, we have advantages over Lucario where as we don't with Metaknight. I agree:

55-45 Falco against Lucario. (Even in MK, btw)

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Oh yeah, also, imo Falco beats Lucario pretty bad. Jab outspeeds everything Lucario has up close (his boxing is ****ing trash) and bair beats his aerials head to head. The problem for many Falcos in this matchup is that they're too afraid to challenge Lucario in the air and instead shield. Lucario ***** Falco's shield.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Challenging Lucario in the air depends on what % Luc is at cause the more damage the more priority, I have had lucarios up air beat my dair once, and its pretty unsafe to challenge Lucario in the air in general
His dair hitbox is stupid and at low %s where dair has less priority it still clanks with falco's aerials I believe.
He can also just airdodge if he predicts falco bair.
so all falco can do is bait airdodge and punish with bair.
I dont like chasing lucario in the air , I wait for him to land and dash attack/grab/phantasm.

Ftilt> jab in this Matchup imo, ftilt is very safe and if you full jab lucario you will probably get Dair'd.
Double jab is good tho, I just like using ftilt more.
Also don't dash attack at low percents, even if it hits they can still use the momentum and dair you. Lucarios dair makes it very hard for falco to follow up, thats why this is such a patient and boring matchup to me.

Also random tip but Lucarios uptilt/roll makes it VERY hard for falco to do crossups

Top Bottom