• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Neutrals and Counter Picks

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
I played Peach in Melee

Neutrals:
Distant Planet
75m
Rumble Falls
Mario Bros
Mario Circuit
Warioware

Counterpicks:
Rainbow Cruise

</don'tlistentome>

_Raef_

Smash Apprentice
Neutrals:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville

As for counterpicks, Toon Link's stage should be OUT of the question for OBVIOUS reasons.

I like Luigi's mansion, but it should be banned because it's an auto-loss for projectile-characters, and it gives TOO much of an advantage to MetaKnight's tornado. It promotes camping on the ground level of the mansion as well.

Rainbow Cruise is ******** to even consider because its a moving stage and characters with tethers cannot recover.

Pokemon Stadium 1 has WALLS. Bridge of Eldin makes chain-grab into death-grab.
Corneria is BROKEN.

Counterpicks:

Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
(Maybe a few others)

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
No im bein dead serious if allt hese gay stages are gonna be on i wanna play on
Port Town
DK Up Scroll
Mario Kart
Icicle Mountain
PStadium2
Mario Bros
Warioware

Screw that if we gonna have counterpicks lets get some REAL gay stages on there.
and while were at it instead of making custom neutral stages lets make some custom stages that will **** some people over BIG time and make those a counter pick! YEAH!

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
Wow. The maturity on this thread is fail. So to get back on topic. The discussion should be limited to Luigi's Mansion and whether or not it should be banned [otherwise a counterpick]. The argument stands that:

For Banning:

The level has a "cave of life." Therefore, ridiculous percentages can be obtained from such an effect.
Metaknight has the ability to **** on the stage.
It has breakaway features that make moves become stale.

For Keeping it a CP:

Metaknight is just one character.
It's an anti-projectile meta-type stage.
Overall it's relatively flat - especially when the stage is broken down.

To be honest, I believe the cave of life is more than enough to ban the stage. There is no need for any character to survive that much in a game where every match takes three minutes.

That said, as stated earlier by myself: I believe Fenrir's list to be the law for Neutrals and Counter Picks.
Doodah's thread is to determine the very phrases in the title. Lets finish this. :D

Gingerr

Smash Lord
I wanna play on Pictochat, Wario Ware and Distant Planet all day long. If I ever run a tournament it's going to be an opposite days tournament and those stages are going to be neutral and stages like Final D and Battlefield are going to be BANNED.

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
I still don't get why people think distant planet is so bad

It's pretty straightforward. Leaf ledges, ramp on left, rain occasionally, big bulborb that attempts to eat things (you)

not even joking, it's an okay stage.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
I've played there extensively Kamano. Initially I would have completely agreed with you. However, my study on Distant Planet has let my to believe clearly that the stage is not tournament viable. It's easy to camp. The jumping mechanics are screwy, even when you're used to them. The walk-off stage can kill characters at sadly very low percents. I was hoping for a CP in DP, but I refuse to hope. The level, in my opinion, is too gimpy for a lot of characters. *sad face*

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
I wanna play on Pictochat, Wario Ware and Distant Planet all day long. If I ever run a tournament it's going to be an opposite days tournament and those stages are going to be neutral and stages like Final D and Battlefield are going to be BANNED.
If it's an opposite day tournament, does that mean that counter-picking is backwards? As in loser picks a character, then winner picks a character, the loser picks a stage?

EDIT: and Pictochat is the best stage in the game. I always get shafted by Wario Ware

Gingerr

Smash Lord
I still don't think Distant Planet is that bad. The big slug thing eats you, yeah, but you have to be standing really far back on his head for him to snap back and eat you, and it's actually REALLY hard to effectively throw someone into his mouth when it's open. Trust me, I've tried.

Pictochat is good, it's so fun. As for the opposites day tournament plan, I haven't exactly put much solid thought into it, I just think it would be an amazing idea.

Galeon

Smash Ace
Me, Seibrik, Chaz and FIU in general did some Distant Planet matches today. I spent alot of time defending it but in the end, it probably should stay banned. On top of the walk off ledge below the main stage is such a good camping spot. Trying to peel a Metaknight off that ledge is just too dangerous and gives any character such a good position. Surprisingly, the water was not really a big issue. The camping was.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
It's a fun, cute stage, but I can't really argue that it's a good tournament stage, I just wish it was. I would counterpick it all day long just because it's cute.

I'm a girl, gimmie a break.

Force

Smash Apprentice
Me, Seibrik, Chaz and FIU in general did some Distant Planet matches today. I spent alot of time defending it but in the end, it probably should stay banned. On top of the walk off ledge below the main stage is such a good camping spot. Trying to peel a Metaknight off that ledge is just too dangerous and gives any character such a good position. Surprisingly, the water was not really a big issue. The camping was.
The best camping spot is ontop of the slug, everyone knows that >=)

Force

Smash Apprentice
Alright so Florida needs to decide what stages we have as nuetrals and counter picks.

As of right now, people want Luigi's Mansion on and I've even seen more absurd stages like Distant Planet or Picto Chat.

These are ******** ideas people.

Now, everyone seen MLG Anahiem(or was it NY?) where Ken took PC to Mute City for the last match of the Grand Finals(with like $2000 on the line).

PC lost that match, but. . .

Ken did not win that match either, Mute City did.

Let's not let that happen here, please.

In my opinion, these stages are what needs to be:

NUETRALS
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylatt Cruise

COUNTERPICKS
Halberd(could be debateable)
Delfino Plaza
PokeStadium1

DEBATEABLE
Frigate Orpheon
Castle Seige
Jungle Japes
Rainbow Cruise
Pirate Ship
Corneria

Discuss so we can get a set stage layout for upcoming tournies.

Please no one ruin this thread with MK/Snake BS.
alot of other states allow electroplankton and norfair... what's wrong with those 2??

_Raef_

Smash Apprentice
I've hosted two brawl tournys and I don't even allow ANY counterpicks.
Its just the five neutral stages, first stage is random, loser picks next.
There are also tournys that only allow you to play on FD/BF.

People B*TCH too much about the counterpicks and what should be legal.
It is obviously UNCLEAR right now as to which stages should be legal.

I think this is the best option for ME right NOW.
It also saves a lot of time as well...

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I've hosted two brawl tournys and I don't even allow ANY counterpicks.
Its just the five neutral stages, first stage is random, loser picks next.
There are also tournys that only allow you to play on FD/BF.

People B*TCH too much about the counterpicks and what should be legal.
It is obviously UNCLEAR right now as to which stages should be legal.

I think this is the best option for ME right NOW.
It also saves a lot of time as well...
I don't think Ganon can ever approach Dedede when he's under a Battlefield platform, much less Yoshi's Island. You basically have to run like heck until Dedede leaves, and it's not fun. Counterpicks are kind of necessary, I think. Ganon's not the only character that suffers from this, either.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I played on norfair a bit yesterday. I really don't think it's that bad of a stage. It could easily be a counterpick. The big lava wave is the easiest thing ever to deal with. Jump over it, shield it, use ledge invincibility, whatever. You don't ever even need to go into the pod thing. The lava coming in on either side of the screen seems similar to the rain on distant planet - all it really does is say "don't play over here, instead play over there." If you get hit into it, well, isn't that just your opponent taking advantage of the stage better than you? The only time it can be gay is when you're hit offstage and the lava starts coming in from offscreen just as you're reaching it. Lava rising is nothing new. It's the same stuff from brinstar. When it "spits" lava at you from the background, it's easily avoided/shielded, and even if you do get hit, it's only damage. Everything in this stage is completely avoidable, and gives you fair warning when it's going to happen. The fight is gonna be interrupted by stage hazards, but this isn't exactly anything new. All it means is that it isn't neutral.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I played on norfair a bit yesterday. I really don't think it's that bad of a stage. It could easily be a counterpick. The big lava wave is the easiest thing ever to deal with. Jump over it, shield it, use ledge invincibility, whatever. You don't ever even need to go into the pod thing. The lava coming in on either side of the screen seems similar to the rain on distant planet - all it really does is say "don't play over here, instead play over there." If you get hit into it, well, isn't that just your opponent taking advantage of the stage better than you? The only time it can be gay is when you're hit offstage and the lava starts coming in from offscreen just as you're reaching it. Lava rising is nothing new. It's the same stuff from brinstar. When it "spits" lava at you from the background, it's easily avoided/shielded, and even if you do get hit, it's only damage. Everything in this stage is completely avoidable, and gives you fair warning when it's going to happen. The fight is gonna be interrupted by stage hazards, but this isn't exactly anything new. All it means is that it isn't neutral.
SAMUS IS UNDER FIRE

SHE'S SENT AN EMERGENCY DIRECTIVE

JOIN THE FIGHT!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
norfair is terrible, the lava always takes the kills!!! def a no-no
My only issue with Norfair is that there are so many edges close together, but that seems okay for counterpick. The lava is a minor issue, and it's fun to see new-age Lava Comboes.

Like I said, JOIN THE FIGHT

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
norfair is terrible, the lava always takes the kills!!! def a no-no
Are you kidding? The lava is pretty easy to avoid theres many ways around it.

Norfair is pretty sick...would love to see that on the counterpick stages list, but everyone usually hates on it.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Personally i think its dumb to fight on any stage that will interrupt fighting at any point. No matter what it is, or affect fighting in any negative way and not build on it. Thats why i hate stages lik rainbow cruise because you HAVE to stop fighting to climb the stage thats stupid we arent at tournaments to play the brawl version of ice climbers. Its the same thing for stages like Norfair and brinstar, the lava will interrupt fighting just so everyone can randomly get thrown into the air. Why would you want that in a tournament.

Thats just my opinion, but hey if you listen to pros like fenrir then im dumb and i try to lower everyones IQ.

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
That's true but at least it's avoidable unlike brinstar where it rises to a point where you become engulfed in it lol.
Plus me personally I'd like to see a set of counterpick stages out eventually.

Top Bottom