• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Neutrals and Counter Picks

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes you see the light Afro!!!

You use weighted dice so you get top 3 everytime!!!

But in all seriousness I'm also of the mindset of Afro and Rock where if it interupts fighting, then I'd rather not play on it!!!

Basically why I like all neutrals!!!

:colorful:

AfroQT

Smash Master
lol that was funny.
And true.

Yeah imo i dont see why anyone would want some of these counterpicks.
Lylat cruise being a counterpick is okay by me i dont really care (this coming from a snake player).

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
Cause I'm an *******, and I want more stages :) lol

But ya I mean if one stage gets allowed like say norfair for example, then people are going to bring up why not mario kart the karts can be avoided too, or port town aero dive, etc.

So I guess neutralmongers is the best way to go to stay out of conflict ;)

AfroQT

Smash Master
Well no one respects my opinion (atleast known of the super duper smart people like fenrir) so w/e becomes tourney standard i dont care i'll beat people on there own cps then call them a f@g for choosing that stage.

Neutralmonger 4 lyfe

OTRU...

Smash Champion
im with queen, brawl has no depth...

the only thing counterpicks do is mess some characters up pretty bad, all neutrals ftw!. But if you choose to have counters, hook it up with luigis mansion!

Life After Death

Smash Champion
No offense to fenrir he still my boi but afro would beat him np just cuz he really is smater..... but then again fenrir can prove me wrong I heard he is unbeatable when he plays gay from what exarch said a while back.too bad he doesnt like playing gay cuz its gay to play gay

Finch

Smash Lord
Neutralmongers generally play top tiers that are good on every neutral stage. No one likes playing on counterpicks but for some characters they're good for evening out the playing field so we need them.

Raistlin

Smash Lord

Pritch

Smash Lord
I found I liked neutrals a lot more in melee when I picked up sheik.

Weird.

*cough*brinstarisamazingthough*cough*

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
This is mostly just boring stuff. On topic discussion begins further down this post. Most people are recommended to skip the beginning.
No offense to fenrir he still my boi but afro would beat him np just cuz he really is smater..... but then again fenrir can prove me wrong I heard he is unbeatable when he plays gay from what exarch said a while back.too bad he doesnt like playing gay cuz its gay to play gay
Why would you bring me into this?
I like it when peopel counter pick m. just mean I can humilaite them on their own level and gain more satisfaction
Yeah, like the last time we played and i JV 2 stocked you on mute city. You wrecked me on the rest of the set though.
Well no one respects my opinion (atleast known of the super duper smart people like fenrir) so w/e becomes tourney standard i dont care i'll beat people on there own cps then call them a f@g for choosing that stage.

Neutralmonger 4 lyfe
Dear God. Reading your posts is like ripping a nail off a finger. I honestly think you're the most annoying poster I've ever seen on smashboards, ahead of Hbox and Mooney. Probably even more annoying than Best101.

I understand you're 15? I know this is asking a lot, but try to act less like other 14 year olds around here (Hbox and Mooney), and try to be sensible. Please just learn to let things go. It's not funny to continually reference something which wasn't even amusing in the first place.

There's a lot more that I want to say but I don't think there's any use because you're just going to see this and take it the wrong way. You'll see it and post back condescendingly about how "i dont worry abuot lookin gud on a 4um lolol," and how "i nevar rite more than 1 paragraph olol" and how "its ok becuz i look gud when it counts wanna mm??". Yes, you are good at brawl. Congratulations. Even though you don't worry about looking good on a forum, other people do read your posts, and continual eyesores are not the most pleasant thing you could do for this community. Stop being so obnoxious and either make your posts more funny or filled with better content. Or both. Please.

------------------------------------
Stage discussion

As for the discussion at hand, I think Norfair is a totally legitimate stage and do not see how it would succumb to either one of the valid reasons for banning it I listed earlier.

Port Town would be a legitimate stage too I think if there weren't (from what I understand) random car hitboxes which fly by without any car image attached to them. This random glitch makes the level broken by randomness, if it actually does exist.

The Mario Kart level is unfair because of the walk off edges, not because of the karts themselves.

Preemptive banning of stages is the complete opposite of what tournament hosts should be doing at this point. Melee used to allow all stages on, (Lumbro and Goldwing once played Ken and Isai on Flatzone in a tournament set) until one by one the stages were found to be broken for one of the two reasons I mentioned and then banned. The idea should be to allow as many as possible and then slowly refine them.

Of course, the true idea should be the recognition that Smash is supposed to be a party game and Brawl was 'cleverly' crafted enough to ensure it wouldn't be a truly competitive fighter this time, so we should go back to FFA all items all stages.

And as for Shadow Moses Island, which is a counterpick I'm really fond of, rather than ban the level, we could instead ban the wall infinites.

That is meant as the character is allowed to do the infinite along the ground up until the character being infinited comes in contact with the wall. At that point the character must stop (within a few repetitions) and do something else.

To explain with an example:
On other stages it would be the natural end to DDD's CG, when an opponent reached the end of the stage. On Shadow Moses, DDD must stop grabbing and attempt something else once the opponent has reached the wall. Of course it may be difficult to tell when exactly an opponent reaches the wall, but for these gray areas we allow the 1 or 2 extra repetitions.

Life After Death

Smash Champion
Chill. yes you beat me in mute city but I still like playing in weird stages. I dont complain any stages that isnt neutrals anymore like back in the days

Force

Smash Apprentice
I think you're confusing me with force. I do play toon link though >_>
Lol i brought my goofy friend robert who plays wario and ganon to his 2nd tournament and he 2stocked mooney's dedede. I played so much ganon that night... I had so much fun... I'm wondering if we're missing the point on this game, anyone else notice the top tier characters are also the most boring to play in this game?? meta and snake both make me want to gouge my eyes out when i'm playing as them.

juniorv376

Smash Journeyman
Lol i brought my goofy friend robert who plays wario and ganon to his 2nd tournament and he 2stocked mooney's dedede. I played so much ganon that night... I had so much fun... I'm wondering if we're missing the point on this game, anyone else notice the top tier characters are also the most boring to play in this game?? meta and snake both make me want to gouge my eyes out when i'm playing as them.
I suck with snake but he is hella fun to play.

I can't stand playing Metaknight.... I get bored.

I hate playing against metaknight. I am forced to play a broing play style.

Playing marth is funnest.

Playing against Chopz is fun. (Hearing him say "You were sapposed to roll" after his Fsmash. Too funny. lol)

Force

Smash Apprentice
Why are floridians so afraid to be pioneers in a new game? Brawl because of how easy it is to pick up characters allows people to play many different characters and try to develop cool character/level CP possibilities. It's a different game guys, stop using melee logic. Sakurai removed alot of the killing power of some of the dumb crap that happens on the levels because of the tournament community imo. Playing 1 top tier character on all levels with 0 variation on them does not necessarily define a "better player" over someone who has 3 CP'ing characters who beats you with a superior strategy+adaptability and level knowledge. the only crap that should be removed is stuff that is completely random (and without warning) Florida needs to get with the program, there are plenty of pros who had dynasties "in melee" all around the U.S. (possibly even long before pros in FL) that are playing weird levels and weird characters and ****** it up. yet florida is just filled with mainly MK's and snakes and we want the game dumbed down to 4 levels.... u guys are making me sad. also.... icekid won with rob.... that's the kinda **** we need more of to put us on the map.

Force

Smash Apprentice
LOL @ Sakurai removing dumb crap on levels to cater to the tourney community

:colorful:
for the most part it's true. levels on SSBM made the game into mario party with how random some of them were. plus air dodging was an instant suicide over the abyss so any random uncharted abyss underneath you was just... bad... It's a totally diff game guys open ur minds up a little bit :) also we're gonna have some scary competition here for that OOS tournament that's happening in orlando so we need to not get totally embarassed b/c it's alot harder to redeem yourself when someone lives a couple states away.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Neutralmongers generally play top tiers that are good on every neutral stage. No one likes playing on counterpicks but for some characters they're good for evening out the playing field so we need them.
uh everyone is good on neutral stages, is there a character i missed out on that does bad on a neutral stages?

EDIT: DK is now top tier cuz linguini is a neutralmonger

AfroQT

Smash Master
Dear God. Reading your posts is like ripping a nail off a finger. I honestly think you're the most annoying poster I've ever seen on smashboards, ahead of Hbox and Mooney. Probably even more annoying than Best101.

I understand you're 15? I know this is asking a lot, but try to act less like other 14 year olds around here (Hbox and Mooney), and try to be sensible. Please just learn to let things go. It's not funny to continually reference something which wasn't even amusing in the first place.

There's a lot more that I want to say but I don't think there's any use because you're just going to see this and take it the wrong way. You'll see it and post back condescendingly about how "i dont worry abuot lookin gud on a 4um lolol," and how "i nevar rite more than 1 paragraph olol" and how "its ok becuz i look gud when it counts wanna mm??". Yes, you are good at brawl. Congratulations. Even though you don't worry about looking good on a forum, other people do read your posts, and continual eyesores are not the most pleasant thing you could do for this community. Stop being so obnoxious and either make your posts more funny or filled with better content. Or both. Please.
Why dont you do me a favor and
CRY
MORE
SCRUB

WAH
WAH
WAH
is all i ever read out of you, dont like my posts? Dont read em.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Why are floridians so afraid to be pioneers in a new game? Brawl because of how easy it is to pick up characters allows people to play many different characters and try to develop cool character/level CP possibilities. It's a different game guys, stop using melee logic. Sakurai removed alot of the killing power of some of the dumb crap that happens on the levels because of the tournament community imo. Playing 1 top tier character on all levels with 0 variation on them does not necessarily define a "better player" over someone who has 3 CP'ing characters who beats you with a superior strategy+adaptability and level knowledge. the only crap that should be removed is stuff that is completely random (and without warning) Florida needs to get with the program, there are plenty of pros who had dynasties "in melee" all around the U.S. (possibly even long before pros in FL) that are playing weird levels and weird characters and ****** it up. yet florida is just filled with mainly MK's and snakes and we want the game dumbed down to 4 levels.... u guys are making me sad. also.... icekid won with rob.... that's the kinda **** we need more of to put us on the map.
Florida is filled with so manysnakes,

EVEN THOUGh theres only 2 snake players in florida to ever get into top 3 (me and Chopz)
SO MANY SNAKES

Raistlin

Smash Lord
uh everyone is good on neutral stages, is there a character i missed out on that does bad on a neutral stages?

EDIT: DK is now top tier cuz linguini is a neutralmonger
If you knew anything about melee, you'd know that there were characters that did way better on neutral stages than others, and the same goes for Brawl.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Im sorry i didnt know i had to play melee to understand how stages and characters work.....

And im saying everyone does good on neutrals, obviously some do better, but its not a significant enough advantage for us to put on counterpicks that interfere with fighting.

OTRU...

Smash Champion
Florida is filled with so manysnakes,

EVEN THOUGh theres only 2 snake players in florida to ever get into top 3 (me and Chopz)
SO MANY SNAKES
wrong

just because the other snake users dont enter tourneys doesnt mean theyre not as good aka qdvs and max (doc), garbanzo also plays a good snake...

AfroQT

Smash Master
wtf? What do you mean wrong? Only 2 snake players have placed top 3 in the big tournies so far (me and chopz).

I didnt say we were super superior i was just stating the facts, nothing against any other snake players but what was said is true.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
I<3Queen

OMG AFRO. Stop wrecking FL's reputation.

Jeebus. Ever since Brawl came out there have been so many pointless, stupid, ignorant posts. But in all honestly Afro, grow up. S***. Why can't you be respectable on the forums and in real life? Gawd

Finch

Smash Lord
Im sorry i didnt know i had to play melee to understand how stages and characters work.....

And im saying everyone does good on neutrals, obviously some do better, but its not a significant enough advantage for us to put on counterpicks that interfere with fighting.
You're pretty much the only one that doesn't understand this...

AfroQT

Smash Master
w/e finch thats how i feel about the whole situation. If theres a huge list of CPs on i wont complain i'll deal with it and still win.

And sorry blank im not respectable in real life ???

I love all the hate i get.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
w/e finch thats how i feel about the whole situation. If theres a huge list of CPs on i wont complain i'll deal with it and still win.

And sorry blank im not respectable in real life ???

I love all the hate i get.
Wow. I was trying to say that you supposedly are respectable in real life. So why not be so on the forums? For doing so well, people could almost look up to you, despite your age. But you need to be mature. The way you're acting now is far from that trait. You might as well put effort into your posts here and there to at least sound intelligent. You can crack some good jokes, too. So why not be humorous and courteous on the forums, eh?

Top Bottom