• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nesu] It's so deserted here I could find Criminal Caterpillars. (Post here if you're cool)

Best Ness Outfit?

• Total voters

baconator25

Smash Cadet
The G&W match up sucks. Bair shield pokes all day and he can bucket our recovery and I can never seem to tech dthrow as Ness. Is the timing different for teching that for different characters? It takes a while to get used to fighting him since so many of his moves has such little lag on them and Ness can't really punish them too well.

I would give some advice on what I do in the match up, but I haven't really played any really good G&W's so I'm afraid that my advice would suck.

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
Going to post here because I main Ness in P:M.
Why Ness? because I have a feeling that hes going to place either Top or High on the tier list.
and my P:M smash name is Pyro. So, nice meeting you all.

baconator25

Smash Cadet
I played P:M for a few days. Ness is so good in it!

...And then I went back to Brawl and had to remember that my PK Fire won't always activate on shields and that my yo-yo's were essentially useless.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
I need help on all 3 Spacies.

Why does Wolf have to pummel so fast ;__;
As far as I know, Wolf doesn't seem to have something out of a grab-release (maybe a Fsmash or Dsmash, but I've never seen such a thing before, so I can't really say). Wolf's Reflector is a pain because it lasts a bit longer than one would expect. Wolf's Dsmash is about as fast and strong as Meta Knight's, so when you're at +100%, beware of the wolf.

The good thing is that since Wolf is much heavier than Falco and Fox, PK Fire works better against him. He is also subject to combos, which is nice.

I'm really bad at explaining a MU, but one thing I think might help if you confront one : when you do a Dthrow, be careful as Wolf can use his Reflector from above (unlike Fox, he doesn't stop in middair) and if you get hit, Wolf can follow with a Fsmash. Before I forget, he can DACUS too.

As for stages, Halberd is a no-no, at least for me. I find it hellish to fight Wolf there. I've found myself better with Ness on Smashville or Battlefield.

I think more experienced people can complete what I said and maybe correct things I've said that are wrong.:awesome:

Deadjayman

Smash Cadet
As far as I know, Wolf doesn't seem to have something out of a grab-release (maybe a Fsmash or Dsmash, but I've never seen such a thing before, so I can't really say). Wolf's Reflector is a pain because it lasts a bit longer than one would expect. Wolf's Dsmash is about as fast and strong as Meta Knight's, so when you're at +100%, beware of the wolf.

The good thing is that since Wolf is much heavier than Falco and Fox, PK Fire works better against him. He is also subject to combos, which is nice.

I'm really bad at explaining a MU, but one thing I think might help if you confront one : when you do a Dthrow, be careful as Wolf can use his Reflector from above (unlike Fox, he doesn't stop in middair) and if you get hit, Wolf can follow with a Fsmash. Before I forget, he can DACUS too.

As for stages, Halberd is a no-no, at least for me. I find it hellish to fight Wolf there. I've found myself better with Ness on Smashville or Battlefield.

I think more experienced people can complete what I said and maybe correct things I've said that are wrong.:awesome:
Wolf has guaranteed jab, ftilt, dtilt, fsmash, dsmash, shine, and laser from grab release. Wolf can probably do a fair and DACUS as well, but I'm not 100% sure whether those work. Wolf's very fast pummel means Ness will always ground release as well.

Wolf has some mean shine gimps on Ness too offstage, invincibilty frames on Wolf's shine > any defensive offstage aerial recovery option Ness has if performed well (besides a perfectly timed PKT2 utilizing Ness' initial invincibilty on the move, but the timing for that is difficult).

Besides those cheese tactics, Wolf is generally quicker and has more range on his moves than Ness. Wolf is a very tough matchup for Ness, I honestly prefer doing a spacie duel using Fox, but that may be because Kain is the Wolf I have to play against.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
I see now why Ness has it rough against Wolf. Our only hope might be to get a combo going, but that puts Ness at risk D:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I know this sounds soooooo noobish, but I never learned what a DACUS is. I never heard it in my first half year on the boards and then suddenly it started popping up everywhere...

Jamwa

Smash Champion
The reason why youve never heard of it is because Lucas' and Ness' dash attacks add such little momentum that a DACUS is pointless.

what it is though is dash attacking and cancelling it very quickly (with upsmash) so you keep the momentum from that sudden "lunge" speed if you like, and using it to make you move very far while you Up smash.

its good on lucas Project M as you can Dgrab > DACUS

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
DACUS = "Dash Attack Cancel Up Smash". Like Jamwa said, Ness and Lucas's Up Smashes momentum don't allow them to do that. The character (in my opinion) which has the easiest executable DACUS is Snake.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
When I want to use the DACUS with Snake or Falco, on the Wiichuck controls I disable the Tap Jump and I do as follow : Dash Attack -> Very fast Up Smash with the Nunchuk Stick. I've heard it's easier when the Up Smash is mapped to the D-Pad part of the Wiimote, but I prefer my controls :p

I'm guessing for a GCN Controller that one executess a Dash Attack by using the C-Stick, then very quickly push it upwards to do an Up-Smash. But I'm not sure of that since I don't use this controller.

Deadjayman

Smash Cadet
Easiest DACUS input for GC controller is dash > down cstick (to perform instant dash attack, easiest way of performing a buffered DACUS (BDACUS)) > up cstick + hold z.

baconator25

Smash Cadet
You use up on the cstick for the third step? Does that work? I've always just done up on the control stick for that.

dash > down cstick > up control stick > hold z

They both look like they same thing, so personal preference, I guess.

Anyway, it's best to practice DACUSing with Snake since he gets the biggest boost of all characters. The timing is pretty difficult to get at first and you're probably going to get a lot of accidental grabs, dash attacks and some sh dairs, but after a while, it becomes second-nature.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
That's alright. I think that's something my brother wanted to learn and it looks pretty cool. I just can't imagine timing being a very big problem for a Lucas or Ness main for very long. :p

Deadjayman

Smash Cadet
Practice makes perfect.

I'm pretty sure every character in Brawl can technically perform a DACUS, but a DACUS should only be performed if the dash attack gives you positive momentum in its initial cancelable frames which only 8 characters can do.

The characters who can perform an optimal DACUS are (I also ordered this list in difficulty from easiest to hardest to perform based on my experience): Snake, Link, Jigglypuff, Falco, Wolf, Wario, Sonic, and Shiek.

baconator25

Smash Cadet
Sheik's DACUS is really weird. You can't do it with Z set as grab for some reason. You need to set another button to attack (I usually make it L when I feel like doing it.) unless you can put your hands in a really awkward position and have them on the c-stick and A button at the same time.

But it's a lot of fun to do and that's all that matters.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Every character in the game can perform a DACUS, but only a few actually benefit from it, whether or not it's in the form of a sliding smash or a gatling combo.

Basically, characters that gain an immediate boost of movement in the very first initial frames of their dash attack get a sliding smash (cuz in a DACUS you start dash attacking, but then cancel the move into a smash, while keeping momentum), and characters whose dash attack's hitbox comes out the first initial frames get a gatling combo (your dash attack hitbox comes out, then is instantly canceled into a smash, meaning you get both the dash attack and the smash attack to hit). Some characters get both as they have both the initial speed boost AND early hitbox, like Falco for example. Unfortunately, in Vanilla Brawl though, neither Ness or Lucas benefit from DACUS in any way.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
My best friend just got married. What a day this has been :)

baconator25

Smash Cadet
Was Mame really a Ness player? Wow, I wish I knew that. I was rooting for him every time he came on stream. (I play Spider Man in Marvel too, so seeing another Spidey player was pretty cool.)

Deadjayman

Smash Cadet
That game reminds me why I love playing Ness. Ness just has so much flow, he's the character I flow with the best in Brawl (Fox is a close second).

Top Bottom