• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Needles: Best Projectile in the Game?

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Something that I've had on my mind lately was whether or not Sheik's needles can be considered Brawl's best projectile. It can do things that many other projectiles can't:

+ 18% for a full charge and easy to land? Thats like throwing a ridiculously fast moving, fully charged smash with no knockback.
+ Stops approaches and Mach Tornado with a single needle. Behold its out of this world priority and lack of a regular hitbox.
+ Sometimes the enemies just wonder where they hell they came from. Needles are virtually invisible (very ninja-like I must say)
+ *Clink, clink* pause *clink, clink, clink* pause (repeat, then throw, roll, or whatever). It can be charge cancelled in the air and the ground and has a nice clink noise; sounds like some easy mindgame-- fake em out or just annoy them.
+ It clashes with nothing :D

I personally think it tops the rest of the cast in terms of usefulness and applications. Its versatile and no attacks can stop it.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
You can't use it too well mid-air due to the diagonal trajectory, and it'll never do anything more than rack up damage.

Also, shouldn't each individual needle cause stale move negation? If it does, then it might well be one of the best projectiles due to the speed in which you can throw them.

L__

Smash Master
Rabies infected rabbits are obviously the best projectile. Needles will be dissolved in the absolute insanity of the poor bunny.

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
whoa whoa whoa, never do anything more than rack up damage? psh, ledge sliding needles ftw, lucario player is cramping our stylez >.< obviously did not read stealth sushi's applications above, nub! XD

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
whoa whoa whoa, never do anything more than rack up damage? psh, ledge sliding needles ftw, lucario player is cramping our stylez >.< obviously did not read stealth sushi's applications above, nub! XD
Needles don't kill. :D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Attack decay applies to each use of the Needle Storm attack, so if you hit someone with a full charge it still only counts as hitting them with one use of the Needle Storm.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Needles equal the demise of an opponents "once thought good" approach IMO. Too bad it isn't each needle that is counted on the attack decay but I figured as much.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Needles do kill, at 999 percent. God guys you have to know your character...

They do kill though seriously, shoot wolf with a needle during his up B fire animation offstage and watch the magic. This is situational, but I've got a stock off in sheik dittos by firing two aerial needles to stop their second jump and up b so I could edgehog. Thats what they do, stall recoveries offstage so you can edgehog. If only it was a meteor spike on MK :(

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
It looks like the Sheik forums have never heard of Pit's arrows. Haha, it's hard to say what's the best projectile, but Sheik's needles, Pika's tjolt, Falco's lasers, Snake's grenades, Diddy's bananas, and Lucas' PKT are all up there. Heck, Zamus' suit parts is also up there if it lasted for more than 30 seconds. Wario's bike can even be an omgwtfhax projectile if you get hit by it off stage.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
^lol if only. MK vs Sheik would be so much easier.

What I loved about the needles was that it cancelled out Samus' full charged shot in melee. Too bad it can't anymore. The only reason why needles can't be the best projectile in the game is b/c there is no way to cancel the post lag, (besides sliding off the edge which is situational).

I would say falco's lasers are better b/c you can obviously laser lock and it cancels out aerial approaches more effectively than needles. Needles could also do a laser lock if sheik could deal out single needles at a faster rate. Unfortunately she can't so, needles are not number one, but definetely one of the top projectiles.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Rabies infected rabbits are obviously the best projectile. Needles will be dissolved in the absolute insanity of the poor bunny.
That sounds an awful lot like Olimar's pikmin. lol

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
It looks like the Sheik forums have never heard of Pit's arrows. Haha, it's hard to say what's the best projectile, but Sheik's needles, Pika's tjolt, Falco's lasers, Snake's grenades, Diddy's bananas, and Lucas' PKT are all up there. Heck, Zamus' suit parts is also up there if it lasted for more than 30 seconds. Wario's bike can even be an omgwtfhax projectile if you get hit by it off stage.
Heh, I thought of Pit's Arrows too XD I just find Sheik's to have certain uses that just make it more invaluable like being able to effectively stop MK's Mach Tornado. Its a tough contest here for best projectile, but Sheik's needles are sooooooo essential to rounding out her game that its hard to ignore its uses and overall awesomeness :D

If Zamus could generate those Suit Parts anytime she wanted, I'd say those would, hands-down, take best projectile in the game XD Haha.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Sheiks needles are good and everything but its not the best projectile
The top projectiles are in this order: 1st Pits arrows, 2nd Zelda's Dins fire, 3rd Lucas Pk Fire
4th Olimar's Pikmin( if u count that as projectiles)
Then 5th is Sheik's needles.

Agi

Smash Lord
The top projectiles are in this order: 1st Pits arrows, 2nd Zelda's Dins fire, 3rd Lucas Pk Fire
Pit's arrows... (looks at avatar)

...Do i sense a bias? :)

popsofctown

Smash Champion
the way i see it.. Pit's arrows are not the best. To the best of my knowledge needles are more useful against both Meta Knight and GnW (Snake too?). This game isn't about how well you can obliterate captain falcon, it's about winning the hard matches.

L__

Smash Master
God I do hope you're kidding.

lil cj

Smash Lord
the way i see it.. Pit's arrows are not the best. To the best of my knowledge needles are more useful against both Meta Knight and GnW (Snake too?). This game isn't about how well you can obliterate captain falcon, it's about winning the hard matches.
Pit's arrows... (looks at avatar)

...Do i sense a bias? :)
God I do hope you're kidding.
Lol...I was jus playin
I only named those b/c I main all of them...lol
Diddy and Sheik have the best projectiles
Both have priority, very annoying, and dont heal(Lucas, Ness, G&W)

L__

Smash Master
Lol...I was jus playin
I only named those b/c I main all of them...lol
Diddy and Sheik have the best projectiles
Both have priority, very annoying, and dont heal(Lucas, Ness, G&W)
Game and Watch doesn't get healed.

Diddy...?

I lol'd.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
I think the needles in melee were much better. They easily had a nice bit of hitstun and if well aimed, could stun in opponent from getting back on the edge, or rack up a good bit of damage for an easier kill when they did get back on the edge. Unfortunately Brawl isn't Melee 2.0 and the needles are a good bit of proof. Using needles to kill is much more difficult. You can't shrug off samus's big *** laser with a single needle, which I loved doing, and used on an opponent trying to get back on is not as effective, if effective at all. Because the hitstun is basically a big pile of fish and chips [crap], it barely hinders the opponent on getting back on the stage. In fact it moves them up a little to make their job easier. I think that they only serve as a good way to rack up damage in little chunks from far away. Using the needles accurately and skillfully was something I loved doing in melee, and I thought was an accurate way to display some of my skill with sheik, but in brawl, an opponent will think nothing of it, and call you a projectile spammer if you attempt to use them more than two times... Oh woe is sheik... she/he/it isn't the boy/girl/[insert other asexual species here] I once loved. It feels like when I used sheik in melee, she was some hot chick I could go out on the town with and hit up for cheap sex at the end of the night, but this new sheik... in brawl... it's like marrying that chick and realizing that she wasn't all she was cracked up to be, but regardless of her extra boob or other deformities, you still have to love her...

Was that an accurate portrayal? O.o

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
okay.

Needles were overpowered in melee for an already overpowered character.

For "East mode" just replace overpowered with awesome.

L__

Smash Master
I think the needles in melee were much better. They easily had a nice bit of hitstun and if well aimed, could stun in opponent from getting back on the edge, or rack up a good bit of damage for an easier kill when they did get back on the edge.
You have it so far...

East said:
Unfortunately Brawl is Melee 2.0
...stop.

East said:
and the needles are a good bit of proof. Using needles to kill is much more difficult.
Welcome Captain Obvious! OBVIOUS POINT OUT!!!!!! RAAAAUGH!

East said:
Because the hitstun is basically a big pile of fish and chips [crap], it barely hinders the opponent on getting back on the stage.
See above.

East said:
Oh woe is sheik...
Woe was always Sheik.

East said:
she/he/it isn't the boy/girl/[insert other asexual species here] I once loved.
You're so funny. Did you come up with that joke all on your own?

Seriously, Sheik is a girl who used magic to disguise herself. GET OVER IT.

East said:
It feels like when I used sheik in melee, she was some hot chick I could go out on the town with and hit up for cheap sex at the end of the night,
...DID YOU JUST READ YOUR STATEMENT 5 SECONDS AGO?

East said:
but this new sheik... in brawl... it's like marrying that chick and realizing that she wasn't all she was cracked up to be,
I almost Lul'd. Almost.

East said:
but regardless of her extra boob or other deformities, you still have to love her...
Look what you said earlier.

East said:
Was that an accurate portrayal? O.o
No.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
hm, "Brawl is Melee 2.0" was a typo. It should be isn't.

Yes, I know sheik was overpowered in melee, I know sheik's sex, that's why I referred to her as a girl after the joke there. yeesh.

Really L, I figured my take on the subject with a little light-hearted humor would be nice, but if you really only want to make fun of me, I'll gladly leave.

Top Bottom