• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

polyopulis

Smash Cadet
another question: how exactly do you FF?
when can you do it and how?
do you tap or hold analog to FF?
when holding analog down and your character is immobile, will your character FF as soon as you regain control?
please describe it in detail rather than just answering those questions because there is more about it that i can't think of questions for.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
another question: how exactly do you FF?
when can you do it and how?
do you tap or hold analog to FF?
when holding analog down and your character is immobile, will your character FF as soon as you regain control?
please describe it in detail rather than just answering those questions because there is more about it that i can't think of questions for.
You can do it in the air.
You perform it by holding down the control stick.
Yes, you hold down the control stick.
Do you mean in an air dodge? If so, you are in control even then.

All you do is hold down the control stick, and you fall slightly faster. Honestly, there isn't much to explain...but I'll try.

- Jump up into the air
- Once you reach the highest point of the jump, mash down on the control stick and hold it down until you reach the ground.
- You have succesfully fast-fallen.

Of course, you can also perform it in a short-hop, and these are called SHFFs. (Short-hop fast fall) Did that help?

polyopulis

Smash Cadet
You can do it in the air.
You perform it by holding down the control stick.
Yes, you hold down the control stick.
Do you mean in an air dodge? If so, you are in control even then.

All you do is hold down the control stick, and you fall slightly faster. Honestly, there isn't much to explain...but I'll try.

- Jump up into the air
- Once you reach the highest point of the jump, mash down on the control stick and hold it down until you reach the ground.
- You have succesfully fast-fallen.

Of course, you can also perform it in a short-hop, and these are called SHFFs. (Short-hop fast fall) Did that help?
somewhat. i explained one of my questions wrong. by immobile, i mean helpless or tumbling.
also, when recovering, you can FF before you are going downward. why?
if you SH while holding down on the analog as soon as you jump, will you fast fall?
instructions for recovering after DI is to hold down on the analog and trying to do an aerial as soon as possible. this apparently allows you to FF while moving up. does any of this translate to SHing or jumping in general?

ndayday

BRoomer
Yes, I'm pretty sure you can FF when in the tumble/helpless animation.
Because of Brawl's buffering system.
No, it needs to be after you reach the height of your jump.

No, because you can not jump while you are in that state. (or do specials, or footstools)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
you can fastfall any time you're neutral falling (which is defined by being airborne, having control of your character--including during attacks--, and not having upward friendly momentum). This means that you can fastfall while you're going up, so long as you have control of your character, and were sent upward by an attack. While you cannot fastfall while tumbling or in hitstun, I speculate that, because of the 10 frame buffer window, you can input a fast fall up to 10 frames before your tumble/hitstun ends and still get a fastfall the moment you regain control.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
POKE40 said:
What is pikachu's actual height in the game?
Cause pikachu standing on his two feet he is half the height of captain falcon lol.
It is said that pikachu is 1 foot and 7 inches tall lol
Some characters where upscaled to fit in with the cast. A drastic example of this is Olimar. I'm not sure where or if there is a character height thread.

KhaosTy said:
Ok, here's a dumb question. How do you use DACUS? What is it, why is it used and what does it do?
I hear it a lot on the Wario boards.
DACUS = Dash Attack Canceled UpSmash

It's used to give a major boost in range to specific characters Usmashes. This helps with killing, damage racking, or approaching.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
If you're ever unsure on a term: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=227773

A Boost Usmash (the better name of a DACUS) allows you to input an usmash shortly after doing a dash attack. On characters with significant boosts in speed from their dash attacks, i.e. snake, wario, etc... this translates into them sliding decently far while doing the usmash. It doesn't increase power, range, priority, or any other properties of the attack, it merely makes you slide (for some characters) farther and faster than a running usmash does and can catch opponents off guard, or allow for some combos.

blairz08

Smash Rookie
hi i have a question does any one no a well yet accurate combo with mario er toonlink thankz very much if any could help!

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
How do you get out of the "tumbling" motion after you get footstooled the fastest?

ndayday

BRoomer
You would be best of looking in Mario and TL's respective character boards. If you ask in the Q&A's, people will be more then happy to help you. A very simple 2-hit combo for Mario is his Dthrow followed up by a SH'd Uair, while TL has various combos he can perform with his projectiles, zair, and aerials. Then again, that's what combos are usually made of...>__>

As for the fooststool thing, I personally have no idea. I believe it can be cancelled by Up-B/jumping.

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
Hey a quick question. I'm having a problem going to tournaments as of late, and I'm looking for someone to just train one on one. Should I or will the tourneys be enough to make me a better player.

gallax

Smash Hero
Hey a quick question. I'm having a problem going to tournaments as of late, and I'm looking for someone to just train one on one. Should I or will the tourneys be enough to make me a better player.
tournaments will make you a better player nonetheless. get as many friendlies in as you can while you are there. if you dont have anyone to practice with when you are not in tournaments there is always wifi. but i would recommend wifi for matchup experience only.

other than that, look at above post.

ndayday

BRoomer
Since I'm being lazy at the moment, I'll just copy pasta this from A Complete Guide to DI and Survival.

swordgard said:
SDI is an acronym for Smash Directional Influence. The SDI can only be used during hitlag, which means that the time frame to do it is very small. SDI can be achieved by pressing any direction during hitlag, making you travel a short distance in that direction(and I mean teleport, since you move instantly in 1 frame every time you SDI). You cannot hold a direction before the hit to get SDI on some of the frames. The main point of SDI is to compensate as much as possible for the knock back you are gonna receive after the hit simply by hitting in an opposite direction. This would mean that if you get hit by an attack like fox's forward smash, which has a near horizontal knock back. This would mean that if fox sent you to the left, you would need to go to the right this way when you get the knock back you are actually farther from the DZ(death zones around the screen). It is important to note that you cannot SDI onto the ground to force a tech when you're on the ground, but in the air, this is very doable to reduce knock back. Since there are multiple hitlag on all of the attacks in the game, it is technically possible to SDI more than once in a hit. However since holding a direction does not count as an actual input for SDI, if you want to SDI to the left twice, you would have to press left, let go of the joystick, then press left again within a very small time frame. This can therefore be very tricky, but since SDI only registers new input there is a way to avoid such impracticalities by doing QCDI.
By all means, check out the link I provided.

Shimoru

Smash Rookie
I have a question about grab releases. Is there a way to tell when a character will be air released or do a ground release? I heard that character height had something to do with it, as well as whether you attack them or just wait for the release. And if so, is there a way for me to force a character to air release to try and follow up with an attack, Wario for example?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I have a question about grab releases. Is there a way to tell when a character will be air released or do a ground release? I heard that character height had something to do with it, as well as whether you attack them or just wait for the release. And if so, is there a way for me to force a character to air release to try and follow up with an attack, Wario for example?
If while in the grab animation the opposing character doesn't touch the floor, or if they input a jump release anytime during the grab, they'll air release. Pummeling or otherwise will cause a ground release. In order to do an air release then follow up with an attack, you need to buffer your dash so you can catch them.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I have a question pertaining to mains. It seems I have too many characters mained.

Lucario, Link, Peach, Falco, Olimar, Shiek/Zelda are all of the characters I main.

Is it possible for me to play all of these characters or would it be better for me to slim down how many characters I play so I can learn a select few as best as I can?

B!squick

Smash Master
Depends on what tourny you enter. I'm sure some have it banned as well as the DeDeDe and Falco ones.

I have a question pertaining to mains. It seems I have too many characters mained.

Lucario, Link, Peach, Falco, Olimar, Shiek/Zelda are all of the characters I main.

Is it possible for me to play all of these characters or would it be better for me to slim down how many characters I play so I can learn a select few as best as I can?
Play whoever you feel like. NinjaLink mains the whole cast.

Met

Smash Ace

play metaknight

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Not to mention that they just aren't really broken. Well, maybe the infinite itself is, but there are multiple ways avoid getting chaingrabbed, or grabbed at all.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Heres two questions for you guys.

1. We were talking on the Diddy boards about campy snakes who have highest port priority are so difficult to beat. First of all, whats so good about having highest port priority? Are there any special tactics that can only be used when your plugged in to the number 1 spot? And while Im here, what makes a campy Snake so good when he has highest port priority?

2. Do you guys know where I could watch the Apex broadcast? Im doing nothing this Sunday and would definitely love to watch the end of singles.

ndayday

BRoomer
Having a higher port priority helps in a lot of things, one of the big ones being that if both opponents grab at the same time, the higher priority will grab instead of the other. If you have port priority over the other person, then that is usually good.

One of the dumb things with port priority is actually for Snake; hence why they are saying they are difficult to beat. If Snake has the higher port priority and he drops a grenade, and then he grabs you or you grab him, when the grenade explodes the port with higher priority will not experiance knockback. (Snake) You can see how that is pretty dumb for Diddy, and good for Snake. There might be more, but I don't really know more then that.

I couldn't find a link etc. for Apex's live streaming, but if you ask in the Apex thread, I'm sure they would tell you the details. If you find an answer, and assuming you don't mind, could you give me a link/pass on the information they give you?

Shimoru

Smash Rookie
Is there a list of attacks that force a getup (standup animation). I know IC's iceblock and Sheik's needles do but are there any others? Also, does the character have to be face down for the forced getup? Thanks.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
HOw come whenever I'm b-sticking I some times jump or do a neutral B? I'm using a Classic controller.

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
Thankx guys! Well heres another one for you. I wanted to join a crew to get better but they don't really want me. I could really use the one on one training, but is it really necessary, or can I do it by myself.

B!squick

Smash Master
HOw come whenever I'm b-sticking I some times jump or do a neutral B? I'm using a Classic controller.
This is one of the odd things with the C-Stick. It works well and normal for Smashes because it's a directional input + A. When you change to B-Stick you get what you described sometimes. I forget what causes the jumping, but if you have the movement joy stick at a non neutral position, but not far enough in any direction that you move or jump (there's a cerntain sweet spot) the game will read a B-Stick mash in X direction as simply pressing the B button normally. The same thing will happen if you're in the air and you have it set for tilts (you'll do a NAir). The reason why weird stuff like this doesn't happen with the C-Stick set for Smashes is that there's no Neutral Smash. Conversely, I think if you're on the ground and you do what I described with it set for tilts you'll do a Jab.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
If I have an SD card with replays on it can i somehow rip the replays onto my computer? or do I have to get recording equipment for my TV and play them while recording?

ndayday

BRoomer
Thankx guys! Well heres another one for you. I wanted to join a crew to get better but they don't really want me. I could really use the one on one training, but is it really necessary, or can I do it by myself.
It is best if you play people. You can get some stuff down by yourself, like spacing and really simple stuff, but you will see more improvement if you play actual people. Ideally, you want to play people that are better then you since you tend to learn a lot more while playing, even though you will probably loose.

If I have an SD card with replays on it can i somehow rip the replays onto my computer? or do I have to get recording equipment for my TV and play them while recording?
No, you can't. So yeah, you have to record them with some recording device.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion

You don't have to be in a crew to smash with other people. You try and find a tournament that is near you, or a smashfest...

Yea, you need other people, but crews are not the only form of competition.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Thanks man. I didnt know the grenade thing was related to controller ports (I thought it was just good spacing on Snakes part)
Anyways, the APEX thread didnt answer me so I PMed the creator of the thread and he said itll be on smash-tournaments.com and ecrc2k.com. I didnt check the first site but theres a link on the second site to live broadcasts. The window for APEX is already up. Just go there when it starts and enjoy :)

ndayday

BRoomer
Cool, thanks for that.

I actually have a question. What is craq walking, and how do you do it? I have the strangest feeling I already know what it is, just I forgot about it. A thread works if you don't want to explain anything. :embarrass

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Cool, thanks for that.

I actually have a question. What is craq walking, and how do you do it? I have the strangest feeling I already know what it is, just I forgot about it. A thread works if you don't want to explain anything. :embarrass
Jump backwards and hold in the direction you jumped as you land. You should get a nice slide as you turn around and begin to walk in the opposite direction.

I probably worded that poorly, was that clear?

ndayday

BRoomer
That was fine, thanks. So wait, your character has to be able to crawl to do it, right? Also, to answer this question:

Is there a list of attacks that force a getup (standup animation). I know IC's iceblock and Sheik's needles do but are there any others? Also, does the character have to be face down for the forced getup? Thanks.
I don't believe such a thread exists. You can force the get-up when they have fallen via a footstool, tumble, trip, etc. Not all characters trip/laying down animations result in them being face-planted, so really it can be any time they are in the animation where they can getup. I think.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I have been fighting against myself to not make a topic surrounding my question.

I seriously need to know. How long, in terms of time (seconds, preferably), does a frame last for? I need this info because I'm trying to research a couple of things, and one of the things I have no access to, is that info.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom