• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
April Fools Day 2009: All help is dead.

[EDIT] - Oh snaps, got the cyan name... Seriously though, anyone got a question today?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What's the best way to practice DI? I'm getting Tap DI down but I'm having a hard time adjusting to Smash DI. It seems like the only time where I can effectively use it is when I get stuck in long, multihit attacks like jabs and ROB/Pikachu/Bowser's Dsmash. Should I consider a different hand position?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
What's the best way to practice DI? I'm getting Tap DI down but I'm having a hard time adjusting to Smash DI. It seems like the only time where I can effectively use it is when I get stuck in long, multihit attacks like jabs and ROB/Pikachu/Bowser's Dsmash. Should I consider a different hand position?
I'm pretty sure you just get used to it, I never really had this problem. You can do it the 'normal' way, just rotating the stick, or variations of moving the stick. I personally do it like a really fluent tap, it's kind of strange, but it works for me. The advice that is generally given is to throw Smart Bombs down at yourself, and SDI out of it.

Hope that helped a bit.

Grunt

Smash Master
Yes but, like Ken, I don't think he's been on for a long time. If I had to guess, he probably hasn't been on since 2007 but, if he has, he's probably only gone to the Backroom.
this is actually really wrong.
he posts occasionally on the Pac West boards but mostly in the 64 section.
It's Malva00

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Tap DI is a rather silly term that simply refers to multiple SDIs (Smash DIs), so i'm not sure what you're getting down and what you can't adjust to. SDI is mostly only useful in multihit attacks anyways, so you're probably doing it fine.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Tap DI is a rather silly term that simply refers to multiple SDIs (Smash DIs), so i'm not sure what you're getting down and what you can't adjust to. SDI is mostly only useful in multihit attacks anyways, so you're probably doing it fine.
Basically I'm refering to when you use the analog stick for one (what I was calling tap) and when you use the c-stick for the other (smash). I'm having trouble getting down the DI with the analog stick. I think it's because of the bad habits that I established during the first Smash Bros where, probably until 2003, I thought the right way to DI was to tap the opposite direction you were sent flying. For example, if you were sent up, you'd tap down and if you were sent diagonally up to the left, you'd tap diagonally down to the right. For some reason, I can't kick this bad habit.

BigKs0n

Smash Rookie
So i made my own thread, and afterward i see this.. OK so anyways, what are some top characters in 2v2 brawl. Since I was told the tier rankings are for 1v1 I'd like to know what ppl consider great 2s characters or good combos of 2s characters. And also what are some toons that just don't bode well for 2v2.

Thanks!

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Basically I'm refering to when you use the analog stick for one (what I was calling tap) and when you use the c-stick for the other (smash). I'm having trouble getting down the DI with the analog stick. I think it's because of the bad habits that I established during the first Smash Bros where, probably until 2003, I thought the right way to DI was to tap the opposite direction you were sent flying. For example, if you were sent up, you'd tap down and if you were sent diagonally up to the left, you'd tap diagonally down to the right. For some reason, I can't kick this bad habit.
Well, the mechanic is just called smash DI, regardless of what stick you're using. If you can't do it well just because you do it wrong out of habit, then the only thing you can do to fix it is to just keep working on it.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
What's a good way to tell for sure if the directorial stick is faulty on the game cube controller?

I bought a used controller recently (since that's all they have now) and I can't tell if it's mess up or I'm just messing up from lack of play recently.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
So i made my own thread, and afterward i see this.. OK so anyways, what are some top characters in 2v2 brawl. Since I was told the tier rankings are for 1v1 I'd like to know what ppl consider great 2s characters or good combos of 2s characters. And also what are some toons that just don't bode well for 2v2.

Thanks!
good doubles characters
MK
GaW
Wario

good teams:
any of the above
GaW/Zss
Peach/Zelda

bad teams characters
DK
falco
pit
What's a good way to tell for sure if the directorial stick is faulty on the game cube controller?

I bought a used controller recently (since that's all they have now) and I can't tell if it's mess up or I'm just messing up from lack of play recently.
id say if it isnt blatently obvious that the controller is moving you when/where it shouldnt be, and it continues after you reset and replug the controller, it might be you.

theres no surefire way that i know of, i just use my insticnts

ndayday

BRoomer
@Tristan_win:

Go into training or something, and just stand there. If your character moves without you making him move, then unplug the controller and plug it back in. If this continues to happen, then the controller is probably messed up. Next, try to go left and right, as in you're walking, then try fast walking, then running. If those don't work how they're supposed to work, unplug the GCC and plug it back in. If it doesn't work, your controller is probably messed up.

Also, it may be that tap-jump is messing you up. Try turning tap-jump off if it isn't already.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well it could also be that your stick is really loose. Sometimes with an older controller that I use when I leave my good one at someones house, if you flick the control stick, it wont just go straight to neutral but will go past neutral for like half a second and then return to neutral. This really annoys when for example I run forward as like Pikachu and then FH while letting go of forward, then hit B. I sometimes do a turnaround B cause the stick went past neutral while I was in the air (the opposite direction I was running)and then I hit B causing me to do neutral B in the wrong direction.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I have a question about teching. I heard that teching in brawl is different from melee in that you have to hit the trigger button as you hit what ever you want to tech off of. But I was reading the teching thread further down on these boards and someone said its the same as melee:
During the 20 frames or a third of second after you press L or R, you will tech at the soonest time possible. But after pressing L or R you cant tech for 40 frames after a the beginning 20 frames to prevent people from just mashing L or R and teching all over the place.

Is this true or was the person mistaken?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
So its not like you have to time it exactly. Does someone know if the frames are the same or if they changed. If so, could you post it.

ndayday

BRoomer
You gotta press the shield button 20 or fewer frames before impact, with a 40 frame wait afterwards until you can tech again. I'm pretty sure about that. Also, I believe I was the person that said that. :)

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I doubt they make the tier list just to guide people towards choosing mains who are higher on the tier list and supposedly more ''tourny viable''. But I really cant say why they do make it if it isnt for that reason. There doesnt seem to really be a reason except to make it just for the sake of making a list. Maybe its just to show people how much theyve improved their character with new discoveries from one tier list to the next. I really dont know :ohwell:

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
In my opinion, the tier list is kind of just a starting point to understanding characters, and a guide to see where the characters are in relation to each-other.

The list definitely wasn't intended for people to choose higher-tier mains, and I don't see why it would hugely influence the choice of a character. Really what's more important than the list is the character's match-ups, because those are decided by the mainers of the character and the other, and those really decide a certain character's viability.

Basically, the list is just a reference to see how good a certain character is, and I would assume that's the way it was intended to be used.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
In my opinion, the tier list is kind of just a starting point to understanding characters, and a guide to see where the characters are in relation to each-other.

The list definitely wasn't intended for people to choose higher-tier mains, and I don't see why it would hugely influence the choice of a character. Really what's more important than the list is the character's match-ups, because those are decided by the mainers of the character and the other, and those really decide a certain character's viability.

Basically, the list is just a reference to see how good a certain character is, and I would assume that's the way it was intended to be used.
You have the right idea. The Tier List is an order at which the characters rate at the highest level of play, and at an equal level of play, how a character would perform. This is determined by tournament performance, match-ups, and other key factors. And yes, it is not to deter you from playing other characters. Just a back up to your own answered question =P

woody72691

Smash Ace
again, the player makes the character, the character doesnt make the player, so enough of these annoying fox, falco and meta knight players

woody72691

Smash Ace
ok so how does counter my saying. it doesnt. just because the player is using a high tier character doesnt make them a pro.

ndayday

BRoomer
Of course it doesn't. Now, I believe the person's question was answered more then enough, and if you want to continue that discussion, you should go to the Tier List Thread and discuss it there. :)

Anyway...can someone link me to a thread/some source detailing Craq Walking? Or if you can just explain it real quick, that's cool too.

woody72691

Smash Ace
not really, i used characters lower that the high tier because i beleive u can pull out hte characters true potential. me C.Falcon, everyone keeps bashing him, oo he has no recovery, he sucks monkey f***, no nothing. well he's not gonna need it if hes kicking your ***

sorry little rant there. DDD, i'll be with on that

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
not really, i used characters lower that the high tier because i beleive u can pull out hte characters true potential. me C.Falcon, everyone keeps bashing him, oo he has no recovery, he sucks monkey f***, no nothing. well he's not gonna need it if hes kicking your ***

sorry little rant there. DDD, i'll be with on that
I really dont understand what the **** you're trying to say here. His 'potential', which btw, is only really harnessed by people who realize he sucks, wont help him in his horrid match ups against better characters played by equally skilled opponents.

If you doubt any of this please go ask a good Melee Bowser, hell even Brawl Bowser player right ****ing now, I dare you.

woody72691

Smash Ace
I really dont understand what the **** you're trying to say here. His 'potential', which btw, is only really harnessed by people who realize he sucks, wont help him in his horrid match ups against better characters played by equally skilled opponents.

If you doubt any of this please go ask a good Melee Bowser, hell even Brawl Bowser player right ****ing now, I dare you.

see what i mean people. a-holes like him.

HntrDrizzt

Smash Rookie
So after looking at the enormous list of different AT's discovered thus far I cant imagine a lot of them are used consistently in say tournament or competative play. I was just curious as to what might be the most important AT's to work on mastering that will really help improve gameplay and be used efficiently in battle.

If you care to share more which character specific ones are important to learn as well.

Thanks in advance!

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
So after looking at the enormous list of different AT's discovered thus far I cant imagine a lot of them are used consistently in say tournament or competative play. I was just curious as to what might be the most important AT's to work on mastering that will really help improve gameplay and be used efficiently in battle.

If you care to share more which character specific ones are important to learn as well.

Thanks in advance!
Depends on your main, but universal ATs that might benefit you are Glide Tossing and pivoting. Who do you main, Wario?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom