• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grunt

Smash Master
Yay me, I went here instead of making a new thread. Does each grab attack count toward decay? Like, if you somehow pummel your opponent 8 times, then throw, will all your other moves be reset to full power?
yes.
this is how dedede infinities most people that he can.

DSP

Smash Apprentice
Yes. press B and the c-stick as simaltaniously gives you the same result as b sticking. so you can press the C-stick backwards while pressing B and holding forward on the control stick.
Thanks man, much appreciated. =)

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I've got a general question about something I wasn't able to pull off yet. Is there a way to wavebounce without B-Sticking? I'm a Link main and I don't want to sacrifice my DAC...
[How to do Recoil Specials without the B-stick]

1) While in the air, do a Special move in the opposite direction you are facing. If you want to recoil a side-B, just press Back+B. If you want to recoil a neutral B, do a Turnaround B by pressing Back, releasing the joystick, and pressing B.

2) Just after pressing B, snap the joystick to "forward," where "forward" is the direction you want the special to fire in and the direction you want to bounce away from. The number of frames you have to do the joystick snap differs based on which move you're trying to recoil. However, no move is particularly difficult to do this with.

Want to know if your moves can be recoiled? Check out [this list].

You're welcome.

theaddicane

Smash Rookie
I'm new here and I'm actually being overwhelmed by the amount of Smash Bros information on here. I've noticed a thread telling me to particularly work on my spacing and I've been doing that, but can anyone point me towards one or two specific techniques that at worth learning as a beginner. Just so I can have something focused to work at -- currently it seems like there's an insurmountable swathe of information just pouring out at me.

Falcon's my "main", although at this stage I'm not particularly attached to him.

chckn

Smash Ace
While this is a general board, I didn't want to start a new thread, and this one seems active, sorry if this is too character specific.

Should I be fast falling GaW's Nair? It seems to not autocancel, but they are in stun from the hits not ending. It seems virtually the same for me, but I am never sure if I am doing something that may be hurting me in the long run, so any help is appreciated.
I usually don't ff it. At least I don't do it consciously. This is maybe because I rarely aproach with it. If you see your nairs being punished by shieldgrabs try to nair and dair off the same sh. Its possible and there is even a vid of it on youtube. If they shield the nair they will often not shield the hit of the dair. If you follow the dair up with a dtilt you can often shieldpoke as well :p.

chckn

Smash Ace
I'm new here and I'm actually being overwhelmed by the amount of Smash Bros information on here. I've noticed a thread telling me to particularly work on my spacing and I've been doing that, but can anyone point me towards one or two specific techniques that at worth learning as a beginner. Just so I can have something focused to work at -- currently it seems like there's an insurmountable swathe of information just pouring out at me.

Falcon's my "main", although at this stage I'm not particularly attached to him.
Falcon is a tough main just because he is generally accepted as the worst character in the game. Small hitboxes and terrible knockback make him very hard to use. If you decide to play competitively you will have alot of trouble with cf. That said if you still would like to main him more power to you. My advice, spacing is pretty much the most important thing to practice. Also work on shield grabbing and learning how to do more than just smash attacks. LEARN HOW TO DO TILTS. Tilts are very important for just about any characters game. Also practice your DI and unpredictability while recovering back to the stage.

It may seem like alot at first, but soon enough it will be second nature to you :p.

theaddicane

Smash Rookie
Okie dokie, I'll work on those things. I've heard that Falcon's not highly rated in this game, but I'm not really looking to become a pro on it, just would like to improve so I can enjoy some good battles on Wi-Fi and against friends, so I'll just stick with him. I'm a fan of Fox too, so I'll improve with him too.

Thanks for your help.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Just a question about stale move negation. Does it apply to Nana separately from Popo or together? (Ex. If you desync and hit with 10 d-smashes with Popo and 10 u-smashes with Nana, and then do a u-smash with Popo and a d-smash with Nana, will the attacks be at full power?)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I would imagine so. Nana's damage percent is hidden, but definitely seperate. So I would imagine the same is the case with damage decay.

chckn

Smash Ace
Just a question about stale move negation. Does it apply to Nana separately from Popo or together? (Ex. If you desync and hit with 10 d-smashes with Popo and 10 u-smashes with Nana, and then do a u-smash with Popo and a d-smash with Nana, will the attacks be at full power?)
Im really not sure of this. I was thinking the other day about nana mechanics. Stuff like if she shares decay with popo and if her move knockback is equivelant to his depending on percent.

chckn

Smash Ace
I was thinking about this the other day. IF you are holding an item(Rob's gyro or Diddys bananna), and you get hit at a high percent, how should you DI so that you dont just throw the item. With ROB I usually just b-air but it wont work since you just throw the item instead.

DaveOSmasher

Smash Rookie
Hey, i really need you guys to help me out, look ive been playin brawl like a month and ive cleared most things and stuff but suprisingly, i cant get a main character! Ive sort of like played some time with one and being like: Oh yeah im going to go pro with this character but like a while after id change again :S.
If it helps, my playing style is quite offensive, i like to jump round everywhere doing loads of aerial atacks one after the other and then jumping off stage to get KO without hardly ever defending or stuff, and i also take loads of risk so normally my own KOs are SDs xD, but anyway time makes errors dissapear, right? :p

Well, any tips? or just anything really, about my strategy, character, if i should retire definitely from brawlxD(hope not).. well thx anyway guys

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Hey, i really need you guys to help me out, look ive been playin brawl like a month and ive cleared most things and stuff but suprisingly, i cant get a main character! Ive sort of like played some time with one and being like: Oh yeah im going to go pro with this character but like a while after id change again :S.
If it helps, my playing style is quite offensive, i like to jump round everywhere doing loads of aerial atacks one after the other and then jumping off stage to get KO without hardly ever defending or stuff, and i also take loads of risk so normally my own KOs are SDs xD, but anyway time makes errors dissapear, right? :p

Well, any tips? or just anything really, about my strategy, character, if i should retire definitely from brawlxD(hope not).. well thx anyway guys

If you like throwing out aerials and chasing off stage? Sonic

If you like throwing out aerials and don't mind just kicking them off the top? Fox.

It also kind of sounds like you'd like Falcon.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I was thinking about this the other day. IF you are holding an item(Rob's gyro or Diddys bananna), and you get hit at a high percent, how should you DI so that you dont just throw the item. With ROB I usually just b-air but it wont work since you just throw the item instead.
Can you use c-stick or not, and Bair is a great recovery technique for ROB, found that out the first day I started using him.:)

DaveOSmasher

Smash Rookie
If you like throwing out aerials and chasing off stage? Sonic

If you like throwing out aerials and don't mind just kicking them off the top? Fox.

It also kind of sounds like you'd like Falcon.
Awesome, thanks for hrlping me man , i kinda have to go to bed now xD, bt when i get up tomorrow ill give those three a good try thx so much ima be the best ever and thistime...

ITS FOR REAL XD.

thx man i owe u one

Dolphination

Smash Apprentice
Umm need a little help

So Im trying to figure out this pivot wave grab. When i do it, i cannot seem to get it to slide quite as far as it seems in a video i saw. If there is a better break down of how to get the timing down, can u guys throw me a bone?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@Chckn:
If you 'Z' drop the item, and aerial to help with your recovery, it's possible to regrab the item. It's kinda situational though, and probably won't work in the way you're hoping for : ]

Also, if you press a button to pick something up and hold the button you used, you won't throw the item no matter what you do as long as the button is held.

ALSO, with Diddy, if you're holding an item in your hand, if you Down + B in the air while you're already holding a banana, you'll be able to an aerial without throwing the banana. It's a strange glitch probably not counted for during the coding of the game.

@DaveOSmasher:
You'd probably like MetaKnight or Marth in my opinion. Both have strong offensive aerial games, and can follow off the stage for the kill.

@BestNessn00b:
Beside's Final Smashes? Nope. You gotta work for those stock : )
Unless you're playing with Items on, in which case there are a few different OHKO moves.

@Dolphination:
Do you mean a 'reverse boost grab?'
It's just practice. That being said, I'm not the most competent reverse boost grabber either :laugh:

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Well what you said is true Terios.

It's just that I look at the tier lists (AKA suggested character rankings) and understand them as I'm sure you do, but neither of us have chosen characters that are particularly highly ranking :laugh:

He's new, he's looking for a character to own with. So the top tier's are kinda like training wheels. He said himself he's quite fickle with character choice, so maybe he'll go with Jigglypuff someday >.<

Dolphination

Smash Apprentice
Back again

Well it would appear i was just doing that whole boost grab in the wrong order...I got it worked out. Thanx for tryin to help me out. Should improve my fox a little bit.

Ive gotten almost all those Advanced Techs down but I cannot seem to get that whole snake's sliding mortar down. I can slide if I hit someone first no problem but I cant do it out of the blue. I am probably just timing it a little off but in the end is that move really worth the practice anwyays?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero

It's just that I look at the tier lists (AKA suggested character rankings) and understand them as I'm sure you do, but neither of us have chosen characters that are particularly highly ranking :laugh:

He's new, he's looking for a character to own with. So the top tier's are kinda like training wheels. He said himself he's quite fickle with character choice, so maybe he'll go with Jigglypuff someday >.<
Well I immediately thought of characters that I play so they were the first ones I posted. XD

Sonic in particular does what he wanted quite well. Jiggs does too actually. Marth follows offstage pretty well but MK can **** there.

And on stage. And on one occasion I saw under the stage. Screw you MK.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@Terios: Lol, well, I'd only ever suggest my main if somebody misses wavedashing, or likes throwing bananas at people :laugh:

Well it would appear i was just doing that whole boost grab in the wrong order...I got it worked out. Thanx for tryin to help me out. Should improve my fox a little bit.

Ive gotten almost all those Advanced Techs down but I cannot seem to get that whole snake's sliding mortar down. I can slide if I hit someone first no problem but I cant do it out of the blue. I am probably just timing it a little off but in the end is that move really worth the practice anwyays?
You'll learn. It's already very promising that you will since you have managed to figure out how it works. I remember a time early in my Melee career when wavedashing was something I couldn't do out of the blue :laugh:

Again, it's just practice. You'll get it eventually. And yes, it is worth learning. I'm sure the best applications for it can be found in the snake forum.

chckn

Smash Ace
@Chckn:
If you 'Z' drop the item, and aerial to help with your recovery, it's possible to regrab the item. It's kinda situational though, and probably won't work in the way you're hoping for : ]
Well would you airdodge before z-dropping and then the aerial. Or does dropping an item go by a diferent time for hitstun?

Pillow360

Smash Rookie
What's the best strategy against a skilled Metaknight player?

Also one more question.

What should I do if my opponent is playing mindgames on me? Is it best to go a head-on attack or stay far away and wait until he makes the first move?

DaveOSmasher

Smash Rookie

Well, before reading all the comments i mean i just read choose sonic, fox, or falcon and i played all morning with them and then rang my friends to play and i think the best i played from those three would be fox, and after playing loads of times i chose mk and won! xD,
My friends are like rally pro cus theyve won like tourneys and stuff so imagine my face when i won :p. After that we started playing random matches like link vs ganondorf, lucas vs ness, marth vs ike, tl vs tl o.O, and i won the link and the lucas one xDDD. It was so awesome yesterday it was great

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Well would you airdodge before z-dropping and then the aerial. Or does dropping an item go by a diferent time for hitstun?
I'm not sure how to answer you question unfortunately.

The reason why I said that it is situational, and may not help in the way you are looking for is because when you Z drop, the item loses all momentum and simply drops. Therefore, you have to be reasonably stationary for it to work.

Using your aerials to grant you extra DI may not be worth your while, while you are recovering. In fact, you should just be chucking that item at your edgeguarding opponent and focussing more on just recovering in the first place.

That item will do you no good if you end up getting KO'd in the process of getting back, just because you were trying to keep it as you recovered.

@Pillow360:
If people had the answer to that question, MK wouldn't be so complained about :laugh:
Use MetaKnight?

Also, you should probably give this thread a read.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176650

It gives you tips about playing reactively, and proactively. It might help you with your 'mindgaming' friend :laugh:

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
What is all this Fair, Bair, etc. stuff? I'm a Brawl veteran, but not with these technicalities
Fair=forward aerial attack
Bair=back aerial attack
Dair=down aerial attack
Nair=neutral aerial attack
Uair=up aerial attack

Hope this helps:)

And this isn't the place for that question. Look on Smash Wiki and then go on general discussion and look on the ask a simple question thread.

Lolofora

Smash Rookie
anyone have data on invulnerability frame on dodge for character.

for exemple, if i use rob and keep dodging VS 3 lvl 9 Ike cpu, sometime i can go for like 10 seconds and not get hit. it did look absurd

Axcius

Smash Rookie
Nooby Question, but I look at the match up threads on the character discussion boards and I'm confused at how they rank the match ups. So how exactly do they, number wise? stuff like 40:60, 5/6, etc, confuses me.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
When people talk about it number wise, think of it as a percentage of advantage.

For example, Diddy Kong fairs poorly against Snake in a lot of ways, so people may say that the balance of the matchup is rated at 30% in Diddy's favour, and 70% in Snake's favour.

So people will say that the Diddy v Snake matchup is 30:70 in Snake's favour.

Speed Demon 64

Smash Rookie
To ask meaningful questions. No, I'm not being sarcastic.

/sarcasm

"what's a good way to keep your opponent guessing about what moves you are going to do?"

Do stuff you wouldn't do. Not sarcasm.

/sarcasm

I have a question... What's the best computer level to practice against?
The best level to practice against is level 9 because they have pretty good reaction time and can be challenging at times.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
The best level to practice against is level 9 because they have pretty good reaction time and can be challenging at times.
Unfortunately, that is untrue.

Lvl 9 CPU's are bad to practice against because they develop bad habits. They are challenging until you start to develop the bad habits required to beat them.

Practice against Lvl 1's if you want to practice AT's and combo's (I use the word combo loosely). To get good at Brawl, you have to play against humans, it's really the only way.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Noob question. :/

I've seen it done, or at least I think I have.

When you are on the edge of a stage, say FD. Your clinging to the ledge, how would you automatically release from it to perform a Special/Aerial attack without having to drop or let go, then jumping to reach the stage?

Not sure if I worded it to good. I am a decent player in my opinion, but never figured this out.

Cero

Smash Lord
hulk hands; said:
i need sum serious counters against olimar with my snake anyone got tips?
Try referring to the character specific boards for strategies against Olimar.

KuroZero; said:
Noob question. :/

I've seen it done, or at least I think I have.

When you are on the edge of a stage, say FD. Your clinging to the ledge, how would you automatically release from it to perform a Special/Aerial attack without having to drop or let go, then jumping to reach the stage?

Not sure if I worded it to good. I am a decent player in my opinion, but never figured this out.
If the move is quick enough, you can simply drop down from the ledge, do the move and jump back to the ledge. Or you can drop down, use your mid-air jump, do an aerial/whatever and re-grab the ledge or land back on the stage.

...AKA "ledgehopping".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom