• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B!squick

Smash Master
lol fix'd.

But no seriously, question: How many frames does the Power Shield action take up?

Edit: Btw this thread is very helpful. o_O
I think you have a 4 frame window to PS. And it gives you no shield stun if I remember how it works right. So the actual PS action takes up... no frames?

theunabletable

Smash Lord
^It DOES give you shield stun, but no knockback.

Go look at the early Brawl- Ganondorf videos that show them testing the Warlock Punch on shield and IIRC he power shields a few, which causes ungodly amounts of shield stun.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
I have a problem when I play.

I get really pressured when I don't have the percentage/stock lead simply because I believe people will time me out if possible.

and my projectile is quite easy to powershield which makes it a bad camping tool in a situation where my opponent does not have to do anything and can just stand.

How do I learn to get back into the patient mindset and get a better aggro game?

And what you recommend in the fields of being more observant/thinking more when you play.

I don't want to overthink, but i'd be lying to myself if I said I didn't play by reaction and reads sometimes.

Jane

Smash Hero
this is just one of many things you could do but,

instead of pressuring by shooting little weak energy balls at your enemy, pressure them by charging your projectile. theyll basically be forced to approach you since they dont want you to have a full charge, especially if they have the percentage and stock lead.

but a smart player will eventually figure you out if you do that all the time, so you have to mix it up, but yeah thats an option you have as lucario

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
Could someone point me to where the grab range data is located? Can't seem to find it on my own I'm afraid.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Ok I have 2 questions-

1. Who would you say is the flashiest character in the game?

2. Who is considered the best wifi character in the game? Is it still MK?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. Depends on your personal interpretation of "flash" could be MK, could be fox, or sonic, or wolf or captain falcon.

2. mk, wolf, game and watch, ike and falco, seem to gain the most from wifi.

dealth0072

Smash Journeyman
Can you light sheild in brawl?
I try holding down my sheild buttons just a tiny bit but they dont do anything until fully pressed, in which case a norma sheild appears.
I've tried on all 4 of my controllers.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
^To add on to this, nothing in Brawl with your L/R buttons will ever respond until you push them far enough to be clicked.

So you can't even air dodge or anything like that without pressing the button ALL the way down.

etecoon

Smash Hero
2. Who is considered the best wifi character in the game? Is it still MK?
wolf, ROB, lucario, toon link, and olimar seem to benefit the most from it. last time I actually looked at AIB's top rankings it seemed like ROB more than anyone was occupying WAY more top spots than he ever could IRL but I haven't looked in a while...personally I find wolf or lucario + a bad connection to be the most annoying, stupid thing ever.

MK is alright on wifi but much weaker than IRL

EternityEight

Smash Rookie
I'm having real trouble sticking with a character. I get really frustrated with one, and move on to another, only for the cycle to repeat itself. I've ended up being mediocre at A LOT of characters. Any tips for finding a character I'll stick with? Or am I going to have to wait a few more years until the next smash bros comes out?

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Is the that new Dacus thing possible with the wiimote+nunchuck if the up and down on the dpad is set to up-smash and d-smash? I know this controller stinks but I still need to know.

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
Can someone tell me what a "bye" is in tournament as well as why/how it occurs. I've heard the term around and and seen it on brackets but don't get it. Thanks in advance.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
And how do i delete a double post? I seem to do that by accident alot...
You can't. If you accidentally do so and it's obvious it's a mistake there's nothing to worry about.

Could someone explain teching and how to practice it?
Teching is also known as 'Ukemi' as it is referred to on the Brawl Dojo website made by Sakurai (the creator of Brawl).

"<Ukemi>

When a blow sends you flying, tap the shield button just before you come into contact with the ground, wall, or ceiling. You’ll bound off the surface with a little hop and, like a judo master, cancel any excess momentum that would have otherwise kept you careening around wildly."

Best way to practice it is to just try to do it anytime you get hit. You could try setting your percent to a high number in training and setting the opponent to attack.

I'm having real trouble sticking with a character. I get really frustrated with one, and move on to another, only for the cycle to repeat itself. I've ended up being mediocre at A LOT of characters. Any tips for finding a character I'll stick with? Or am I going to have to wait a few more years until the next smash bros comes out?
Everybody has this problem. I have this problem in Melee. I find that it's less about me trying to stick to a character, and more about my ability as a player in general. In Melee I tend to rotate between characters because I believe the problem is in the character and not myself, and that may be what you are experiencing.

Find a player that's better than you, who plays a character that you like and get them to teach you. Practice up!

Is the that new Dacus thing possible with the wiimote+nunchuck if the up and down on the dpad is set to up-smash and d-smash? I know this controller stinks but I still need to know.
I don't honestly know, but if you can Dacus with the Wiimote, I can't imagine why you couldn't.

Can someone tell me what a "bye" is in tournament as well as why/how it occurs. I've heard the term around and and seen it on brackets but don't get it. Thanks in advance.
A bye is an empty spot in a tournament bracket. When you have 12 people for a tournament, you can't have a bracket with only 12 spots. You have a bracket with 16 spots, with four empty ones because nobody is there to fill them.

Because elimination brackets are designed to work evenly towards one person being left at each end of the winners and losers brackets, they have to double in size as they accomodate for more people, otherwise they won't work.

They go up from 4 people, 8 people, 16 people, 32, 64, 128, etc

They can't work any other way.

+-+-+-+

Now finally, I'd like to direct everyone to the new thread located here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=266590

This thread has been made to accomodate the purpose of this thread, plus give people a space for discussing the competitive scene, etc.

I'll now be closing this thread, please direct new discussion to the new thread.

If you have any concerns over the closure of this thread, please send me a Private Message. I want to know if people would prefer that this thread stay open instead of the new one. Also feel free to direct questions not answered here to the new thread.

:056:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom