• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NC Brocator Thread!

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I almost got in a car wreck on the way home today, although it wouldn't have been bad (would have rear-ended another car doing 3-4 mph) it helped me realize that I am lacking sleep and burnt out from working 12 hours a day, EVERY DAY. This most likely contributed to my general lack of patience lately with people getting on my nerves. My bad for not acting like my normal self. I could have been easier on josh and Kyle for sure. Kyle I still hate you though. Lol jk

:phone:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Thanks for understanding josh. I value you as a friend.

edit: speaking of stress, over the summer I caught shingles. ****ing shingles! You normally don't get that **** until you're ****ing old as **** lol. For those of you that don't know, singles is a relapse of chickenpox. After you catch chickenpox and your body finally fights it off, it is stored in your upper spine for the rest of your life. During your life if your immune system drops to a certain level (due to lack of sleep, stress,etc) chickenpox can come back as shingles. They start in the center of your upper back and spread quickly if untreated. And during that time if you come in contact with anyone that hasn't had chickenpox, they can catch chickenpox from you. Shingles don't itch like chickenpox, but they HURT... felt like I was constantly being bitten by 50 biting flies on my back. Some felt a bad as wasp stings and the worst part in the center occasionally felt like someone was putting a cigarette out on my back. I seriously thought if go through my entire life without a prescription for Valtrex rofl (anti-viral, the herpes medicine), but that **** really works.

Ok hopefully after that rant I can go back to sleep.

I have vacation coming up, flying to Miami with my girl in a week, renting the sickest car/SUV on the lot and spending a week in the keys, living like a baller. Lol honestly I just can't wait to sleep in. Too bad I didn't hasn't this week off as well, I'd so go to apex.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Dave, that sounds like serious bad ****. I'm sure the skin medicine could not have started working soon enough. haha I did not know that about Shingles though, interesting stuff.

Also, Dave's big rant made me think of something that I had been meaning to talk about that has nothing to do with Smash but general life appreciation so worth sharing. Feel free to skip but I thought some of you might find this interesting.

-----

Last Sunday, myself and a female accomplice went to Crabtree when it was at its most bustling. We bought a cheap pair of sunglasses from one of the mid-mall huts and I put them on so that we could start. I was going to try to be blind for the rest of our visit. The sunglasses make it much less obvious that your eyes are closed and also give social context for why you are having to be guided and don't seem to be looking in reasonable directions. haha

I had gotten the idea when we were leaving the food court the other day and I had her walk me out with my eyes closed just to see what it was like. It was an overwhelming experience, even from the food court out to my car on the parking deck. Here is why.

When you walk around as you normally do, your brain documents moments and experiences kinda like movie files on your computer. If you think about it, when you recall something, the things that flood back first (for me at least) are the visual and the audible experiences; the sight and the sound. I have a harder time remembering typical smells, texture and tastes, maybe because they tend to not be as prominent in day to day use as sight and sound.

So having been thinking about this, I wanted to try it for a longer period of time in a place full of varying sounds, hence choosing Crabtree Valley Mall.

Anyway, I put the shades on and while holding hands (and sometimes arms) with my Y-chromosome deficient accomplice, proceeded through the mall. As a major advocate and user of vision, I must confess to you that walking around in even a moderately familiar place full of unfamiliar people without being able to see where you are going is TERRIFYING until you get more comfortable. There is this incredible sensation that you are going to trip over something, run into something, be ran over or just be straight up impaled by whatever might be waiting around any corner, for the sheer reason that you don't KNOW what is there.

We walked all through the mall. The variations in light are very apparent through your eyelids but past that, the visual experience is absent. The product of this is that all of the people you "meet", as passerby's or direct encounters, are experienced in terms of movements of noises around you, tones of voice and things that are said. I found myself remembering the last five, ten, fifteen minutes in terms of audio files only; like an iTunes playlist of individual sounds files. I found this contrasting starkly with the giant majority of ALL OF MY OTHER EXPERIENCES. This is a unique (albeit limited) way of experiencing the world.

The escalator is a terrifying experience, by the way. You can hear the noises of things moving in front of you and kind of awareness of motion (this sense got better and better the longer I walked around) but again, how far away it is and your pre-existing understanding of escalator movement makes this scary. I depended very heavily on being told when to step on (while holding the moving rail) and step off. The sensation of rising diagonally was also much more apparent.

Passing by stores with strong aromas (Bath and Body Works, for example) gave me context clues as to my location. Going in and out of stores was always strange and jarring when the smallest thing touchs you unexpectedly. It was supremely humbling to be so in need of help. I gradually got more and more comfortable with being "blind"; something to be said for our ability to adapt to adverse conditions. I realized I also got to really trust my friend leading me around. I had no choice (in the experiment) so I found myself letting go of my fear and doubts about being guided through this environment.

The most important part of my experience though was when I finally opened my eyes, sitting on a bench in a well lit part of the mall. I don't really have words for how I felt but I'd have to start with "overwhelmed". The vivid collage that stretched in every direction was stunning. The diversity in colors, textures, shapes, everything, is just something we are so numb to. The day to day experience of vision is so easily glossed over by its constant use. I couldn't help but tear up some at the flourishing environment around me. Once again I felt so silly for ever underappreciating this aspect of my life and it's renewed my want to see and experience everything while so blessed with such a trivial seeming gift as "sight".

If this sounds silly (of even if it doesn't), I recommend you try it out for yourself sometime.

TL;DR: Vision is too incredible so appreciate yours while it works. Guidance and the help of others is fundamental sometimes. Keep a fresh point of view however you can and trust those close to you when you need it most.

lord karn

Smash Master
I think that might be why descriptions of smells or textures can be the most evocative in writing; they are the ones we are most apt to ignore in everyday life.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Alex, I think that's likely true. When I think about the writing and descriptions that really stand out to me, I think about the ones that invoke some kind of synesthia between senses or ones that describe some sensation in a personal or unique kind of way.

Lucas, one of the first lines of the post was "feel free to skip". I don't think I've posted an actual story about anything in my life in several months. But whatever, do what makes you happiest.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ace, take it easy, I know my dad got this as well very recently though he got it under control pretty quickly. Don't stress.. =P

Josh, it took you this long to notice? ;)

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Josh, it took you this long to notice? ;)
Of course it didn't. ;]

I've had many many fantastic moments and appreciations of my sight, as well as the aid of others. This one was just unexpected and I think it's an interesting experiment to try for yourself so I thought I'd share.

Alex: Really? I'll have to check him out. Any suggestion on works?

Also, I finally finished reading an Illustrated Brief History of Time by Hawking today. So good. Starting The Universe in a Nutshell now.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Its a gif of spiderman throwing his hands up in a night club and the caption is "the club cant even handle me right now"

Just a basic funny gif to start everyones afternoons off right.

most of my brodies are going to apex and no ones gonna be home to sit on the computer and read my important post about dash dance mind games and my secrets to pizza kush spacing

so Im going to post meaningless gifs

- Juno Aberdeen McGrath

Moophobia

Smash Champion
I'm gonna be at home playing skyrim and wow when everyone is loving apex.
My life there is none of it.
-Fear of Moo's (not moons you faggles)

Moophobia

Smash Champion
Yo I definitely might if I remember the outside exists. Only reason I'm not playing right now is because I'm ****ting. The joy of smart phones

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Alex: Really? I'll have to check him out. Any suggestion on works?
There's always Lolita.

I think you'd really like it. Very rich prose. I personally had to stop reading half-way through because it made me ill in the same way eating too much chocolate fudge makes one ill. I could probably try reading it again, but I'd have to pace myself. But if that kind of reading is your thing, Nabokov is a real treat.

Dostoevsky is the same way. I think it's a Russian novelist thing.

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Oh wow, that's right. I have an excerpt from Lolita saved in my bookmarks here actually. I really loved the passages of Lolita in the link (http://www.randomhouse.com/features/nabokov/lo_excerpt.html) but I haven't gotten a chance to read the full book.

Brothers Karamazov and Lolita are very high on my need to read fiction list.

PS: Anthony Green is playing at Cat's Cradle tonight. Just FYI. Also, Dylan, I'm not going to Apex so no johns on not seeing me sometime this weekend.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
You guys are lucky I'm busy this weekend, because I've been putting a lot of work into becoming faster and more technically accurate, and my Ganon would own all of you.

Top Bottom