• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Thought's on Our Community, etc.

Veril

Frame Savant
There have been a number of threads making reference to the state of the community, discussing how we can improve, what has gone wrong, or putting forth some theory as to what our focus should be.

There are a few points I want to cover in this thread.

1. These threads have often highlighted a philosophical divide in our community; individual development through tournament attendance and results vs. character development through research and advancement of the metagame. Of course, both of these positions are valid, however, the second has never been adequately defended against the proponents of the first.

2. Our community is fundamentally sound and productive. There are flaws; no online group is perfect. These flaws are present to a much greater degree in other boards, and when a serious issue has arisen here, we have always dealt with it. These issues are:

-spam
-infighting
-elitism
-tech obsession vs. rejection
-level of activity

3. We can help eachother progress as players. Many of the quieter ones here are actually pretty good (rinoh comes to mind). That said, we are making a huge mistake by playing primarily Jiggs dittos.

A Philosophical Divide:

Tech development and Discussion vs. Personal Development and mastery of the basics
For those who read Lonejedi's thread regarding our community, you have an idea of the extreme of the personal development side. As you can probably guess from my... intense... response to him, I fall on the far end of the other camp. If you viewed it as a spectrum, most players fall closer to the middle. In regards to research, only a few players have been seriously involved. The same goes for tournament attendance. The Personal Development side has been very clearly and eloquently espoused by Thinkaman and many good ideas were put forth by Lone. Guess what comes now... my rebuttal.

The most obvious point is that this is a forum. People come here to read about techniques or matchups to keep up with the metagame. Most of the players who focus on mastering the fundamental aspects through practice actually contribute relatively little to our development as a community. We can all get better by playing... no s***. People who are trying to incorporate new tech into their games AND have a tourney record, like PNDMike, are really our best asset in that they determine what actually works. The assumption that people discovering or implementing new tech have no tourney or even legit offline experience is completely asinine.

In order to determine what tech is viable, it must be attempted. If you've never done so and don't intend to, you've been talking out of your a**. The reason I got so angry with Lone (thankfully we're cool now, he's a good guy) was that probably the prime example of new tech, rest interrupts HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULLY USED IN TOURNEY. Sorry about the caps, it was necessary. For many interrupts, you don't need crazy SDI (a common false assumption), all you have to do is hold down, and press b. That's it.

Jigglypuff, if you ignore all the new developments, and the possibility for future growth, even if all the basic aspects of smash were mastered, would not be viable at a high level. This is pretty much accepted by 99% of players here, or at least grudgingly acknowledged. Players like thinkaman are huge exceptions, and we haven't learned anything from watching him... because he has no (as far as I know) videos uploaded. Jigglypuff needs any and all tricks available to her, especially if they guarantee both a combo break AND a KO move hitting. "cough"

The Personal Development side has excellent points however, reading about techs won't improve you. It does give you the potential to improve in a way that would be impossible without the research. As a player, it is up to you to decide what you want to implement or not. If you aren't playing good people, you won't get better, period. This isn't exactly a radical idea. I've got some ideas as to how we can help eachother that I'll detail later on.

Our Community

Is a good one... perfect, no. We share flaws that are pretty much unavoidable to a certain extent on any forum. However, all of these could be minimized simply through player recognition of them and a concerted effort to correct our own mistakes.

Spam is in my opinion are most significant issue. It was terrible before Illinialex got things under control, from what I hear. For a period of time, it was very low, basically from when I got here to late February. Whatever the reason, the amount of spam has been increasing steadily since then. STOP F***ING SPAMMING... as much. A little spam is good to lighten the mood and for the lols. There is simply too much now. I spam, I admit this, but I keep it to a minimum. There is no excuse for it. We have a chatroom. I'm actually glad Airgemini has been infracting people. We don't have a spam epidemic. If you want to see a board whose reputation is really hurt by their absurd spam, look at the Sonic boards. Funny guys, but WAAAAY too much spam. Lets not be like that.

Infighting has been a big issue as of late. I'm not gonna name names. Things have calmed down a lot, but this bs is probably one of the worst things a community has to deal with. Look at the Peach boards and the absolute insanity that went down there. Now, I have been guilty of this as well. I got extremely upset with Lonejedi and it took a little while to get that resolved. The point here is it was resolved. He and I apologized and I respect and like him, even though initially I really wanted him to stfu and gtfo. I was wrong, but it didn't disrupt the board in any long term way.

Level of activity is way less of an issue here than it used to be. We have an influx of new talent, and there are people consistently working on... whatever really.

Tech obsession vs. Rejection... that arguement is basically detailed already. I honestly don't really give a s*** about any criticism directed at me regarding that at this point... Unless its from Illinialex, who has actually put in more work testing than me. If something is useless, by all means say that you think so, but avoid blanket statements. Especially if you don't even know how to execute something. The Yoshi boards have a tech addiction, we don't.

Elitism. Ok, most of the frequent posters are guilty of this. On the other hand, people say stupid crap on an almost constant basis. We obviously aren't the absurdly elitist Marth boards or tactical board a****** argument junkies. Mostly, we all need to be nicer to Woodman. I'm guilty simply by not trying prevent all the insults. He's good. So is rinoh. Woody: edit the things you write. You will be respected literally 10000x more, in other words, the amount you deserve.

Practice Practice Practice:

Jiggs dittos are crap. Borderline useless. I've learned infinitely more playing Airgemini's Peach on a red connection than playing anyone's Jiggs. Why? Well, for one thing, I might actually play against a Peach in tourney. And Air is legit. I could wifi John but it really wouldn't be fair (PUN!). He beats me the majority of the time we play. The margins are smaller and smaller, but he is still winning. And offline I am so much better against Peach now.

Most of us have other mains or secondaries. While Lone did own my Lucas last time we played, I usually win any Jiggs vs. Lucas match. The same is true with MK vs. Jiggs. Or how I lose to G-regs Samus. But I'm beating GWs now, because I've played so many of those f***ers. Its a terrible matchup, but I know it well enough that I can, with difficulty, overcome that.

My point. Use your other characters more often, especially if its GW or any tourney viable character. The experience is much more useful than a rollout lagfest. And try to play people with better connections, it makes a big difference for Jiggs. The AiB ladder is your friend (OMG was Lonejedi right about that).

We should get some kind of practice routine, idk, thoughts.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
The spam is coming back up because of the lack of useful threads. When it was mostly spam free, there were stage discussion threads, character matchup threads, and some other general things. Those threads have stopped, and now serious discussion is lost. If we start those back up, we could have some more serious discussion. When we have nothing to talk about related to Jiggz, we talk about other things. This is because we're a community, and we're all friends.

The issues with infighting have died down. We were all pretty violent. Let's pretend that never happened and settled down. We should try and only bring it back up if there is another similar fight, and only if bringing it up would be productive.

Tech rejection vs. acceptation isn't really a problem. All of us play on wifi. There are few exceptions. Many of us, have most of our practice on wifi (Some only practice on wifi). Jigglypuffs techniques, are insanely difficult. Light stepping, or whatever the jump/sing tech is, is very hard. Perfect resting requires practice for many moves. I don't know what works at what percentages, and that makes it more difficult.

...The spam on the Sonic boards really, isn't that bad. It's an assumption people still make because of the rep they got from when Brawl first came out. They have an xat, and all that spam goes to their xat. I won't lie and say it isn't spammy, but it's not as terrible as people think it is. They still have insightful discussion, and take things somewhat seriously when need be. This paragraph is pretty offtopic, but it's something I wanted to make clear.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
The spam is coming back up because of the lack of useful threads. When it was mostly spam free, there were stage discussion threads, character matchup threads, and some other general things. Those threads have stopped, and now serious discussion is lost. If we start those back up, we could have some more serious discussion. When we have nothing to talk about related to Jiggz, we talk about other things. This is because we're a community, and we're all friends.
I do agree with this part, and I've wanted to say so for a while but didn't quite know where. Things like matchups and stage discussions need to start up again. Like, they really do. If not so much for the matchup or stage itself, but for the discussion.

The issues with infighting have died down. We were all pretty violent. Let's pretend that never happened and settled down. We should try and only bring it back up if there is another similar fight, and only if bringing it up would be productive.
Veril meant in general, not that specific incident. I don't see much fighting though, but then again, I'm pretty much oblivious. After the Veril/Lone incident, I'm pretty sure most people are on at least on amicable terms with everyone else.

...The spam on the Sonic boards really, isn't that bad. It's an assumption people still make because of the rep they got from when Brawl first came out. They have an xat, and all that spam goes to their xat. I won't lie and say it isn't spammy, but it's not as terrible as people think it is. They still have insightful discussion, and take things somewhat seriously when need be. This paragraph is pretty offtopic, but it's something I wanted to make clear.
They still have the terrible reputation though, in the same way the Captain Falcon boards have their bad spam rep, and the Peach boards have their infighting rep. We want to have a good reputation, such as how we were thought of as the most forward-moving (in terms of research) character board. At least, back when the Jigglypuff Front Room thread was made.

Veril

Frame Savant
1. Things like matchups and stage discussions need to start up again. Like, they really do. If not so much for the matchup or stage itself, but for the discussion.

2. Veril meant in general, not that specific incident. I don't see much fighting though, but then again, I'm pretty much oblivious. After the Veril/Lone incident, I'm pretty sure most people are on at least on amicable terms with everyone else.

3. They still have the terrible reputation though, in the same way the Captain Falcon boards have their bad spam rep, and the Peach boards have their infighting rep.
1. I agree, I'm starting the Lucas matchup discussion. I've wanted to since I got here anyway.

2. That incident was definitely not anywhere near the uber-drama we had... I just mentioned it so as to not open up any old wounds.

3. The peach boards 100% deserve that reputation. I watched that fight during the brief period I considered picking up peach. It really turned me off to those boards.

@Manic: Not all Jiggs tech is hard. True interrupts are almost purely reflexive, just requiring practice getting used to the cues. DACUS is also really easy once you've mastered it.

I still have way more offline than online experience.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Spam is in my opinion are most significant issue. It was terrible before Illinialex got things under control, from what I hear. For a period of time, it was very low, basically from when I got here to late February. Whatever the reason, the amount of spam has been increasing steadily since then. STOP F***ING SPAMMING... as much. A little spam is good to lighten the mood and for the lols. There is simply too much now. I spam, I admit this, but I keep it to a minimum. There is no excuse for it. We have a chatroom. I'm actually glad Airgemini has been infracting people. We don't have a spam epidemic. If you want to see a board whose reputation is really hurt by their absurd spam, look at the Sonic boards. Funny guys, but WAAAAY too much spam. Lets not be like that.
I disagree very heavily, well sorta. I hate spam, but I think as a community we need discussion about everyday life. Spamming memes and ******** **** is just ****ing stupid. Talking about life stuff, similar to how Mike, Alex, and I used to talk about girls and stuff on here is what builds communities. Chat groups sucks. It's annoying to get to and the User CP doesn't tell you if someone posted there. We need to get rid of spam, but we need chat on the boards.

rinoH

Smash Lord
wait so what did i have to do with this but good summary overall
I suck with Jiggs dont lie Veril

Metatitan

Smash Master
Once i convince my parents to let bigfoot drive me to tournies ill represent both yoshi and puff (if they dont take the all yoshi rule outta their power rankings then i just wont post tourny results for them) so not only will i be repping puff veril ill be repping a resting puff.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Once i convince my parents to let bigfoot drive me to tournies ill represent both yoshi and puff (if they dont take the all yoshi rule outta their power rankings then i just wont post tourny results for them) so not only will i be repping puff veril ill be repping a resting puff.
He's not alone. I'll be driving in two weeks and I'm looking forward to some low tier ****.

35/36 > 1.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
but we need chat on the boards.
If you remember correctly when almost every character board had a "General Discussion" thread which basically focused on life issues and such it didn't turn out too good. All of them got locked and it was basically a +1 post for everyone.

I'm not saying that it's like horribly wrong if you make a couple of off topic posts, but as long as you have some relevancy to the thread.

Things like "L01 Ji661ypuFf is a 8aT!" is what spam is pretty much. Things like "Wow (whoever) great thread. I've done some testing on this myself and...(w/e). Oh yeah yesterday I (insert real life situation here)." Is generally better and probably wont be infracted opposed to the other one.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
If you remember correctly when almost every character board had a "General Discussion" thread which basically focused on life issues and such it didn't turn out too good. All of them got locked and it was basically a +1 post for everyone.

I'm not saying that it's like horribly wrong if you make a couple of off topic posts, but as long as you have some relevancy to the thread.

Things like "L01 Ji661ypuFf is a 8aT!" is what spam is pretty much. Things like "Wow (whoever) great thread. I've done some testing on this myself and...(w/e). Oh yeah yesterday I (insert real life situation here)." Is generally better and probably wont be infracted opposed to the other one.
I get touchy with this topic and I'll get to that in a minute, so I apologize ahead of time if I get a testy...

We had a thread designated specifically for chatting for a few months. It even had chat in the name. We had it going strong with no stupid internet meme spammy **** for the whole time. Almost the entire thing was actual discussion about either stuff in life or recent tournament stuff (generally tourney stuff not having to do with jiggs).

feel free to check it out: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201081&page=11

We had it going for 563 posts. It started as something else, but within the first few weeks it got changed to the community chat thread. We proved for a few months that we could have actual discussion without being spamming **** heads...

and to double check, I just went through almost all of it and couldn't find any ******** pointless meme like posts. And if there are any, I'm sure I would have flamed whoever did it, which would have prompted them to stop pretty quickly.

either way, when you talk about the past experiences with ******** people in chat threads, do not include this board in your generalization. we have proven to be responsible and now we're suffering because other boards don't know how to talk like normal people.

Veril

Frame Savant
I honestly don't see what the problem with the chatroom is. I like it...

We cannot have a chat thread. This idea has been repeatedly shot down by the powers that be.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
what keeps happening to the jiggs chatroom?
groups suck

wtf why not?!?
It's been this way for a while. The boards went through like a purge all spam period and closed everything up. I've sent dozens of PM's back and forth with multiple mods about this and no go. They're too bent on talking is evil, only discussion of your character is allowed. I've gotten a few responses almost exact in wording to "it's not our job to make sure your community is strong or survives, it's only our job to enforce the rules."

Veril

Frame Savant
The xat is good. I'm on it a good deal. Talked with SNO about getting hit by a car today...

I'm on it now... because I am awesome, xat is awesome (at this time). Come on, Bowyer, bask in the awesome (modesty).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
To be fair, only a few of them got out of hand, then all the others got locked on general principle (which I personally think was a bad idea, since, at least for the Kirby boards, the disappearance of that thread upped the spam by a lot until Xiivi started infracting. I'm getting off-topic.).

I agree. The Jiggz dittoing needs to stop
Oh god... why would people do Jiggs dittos? They're about as boring as ROB dittos...

Veril

Frame Savant
Oh god... why would people do Jiggs dittos? They're about as boring as ROB dittos...
I had one really amazing ditto with Glick. It was offline obviously. Even he was like, "wow, that didn't suck"... not in those exact words (actually, it might have been).

All other Jiggs dittos have been mediocre at best. There's no reason for them, just about every single player here has another main, or at least a secondary.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Haha, I wish I had that experience... I've only done a few Jiggs dittos, and after the last one, I have sworn off of them completely.

Oh, and I got sidetracked before, but awesome OP Veril. I might have to steal the idea and make my own version for the Kirby boards... A lot of this seems to apply there too.

∫unk

Smash Master
Marth boards aren't really elitist just the noobs ironically

The good marths have lost too many times to be elitist

Jigglypuff is a really bad character but it's boards are near the bottom too which is something you can control.

Good luck. If anyone is going to whobo I'm acceptin any mm with any jiggs.

Veril

Frame Savant
Marth boards aren't really elitist just the noobs ironically

The good marths have lost too many times to be elitist

Jigglypuff is a really bad character but it's boards are near the bottom too which is something you can control.
Well, I mean, not all of the peach players are hostile towards eachother and not all Yoshi players are insane... So I assume not every Marth is super-elitest.

What do you mean by "its the boards are near the bottom too"? I assume that was a typo of some sort.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Well, I mean, not all of the peach players are hostile towards eachother and not all Yoshi players are insane... So I assume not every Marth is super-elitest.

What do you mean by "its the boards are near the bottom too"? I assume that was a typo of some sort.
yeah its just induvidual peach clashes that are there.

i didn't know Yoshis were insane though. >.>

im part of the lower contributing list though, ask me about peach Fox or Zelda/sheik and i can write you a good book. ask about most others and you get general stuff usually though. and at my previous tourneys i've only been counted as peach/zelda XD.

RhedKing

Smash Journeyman
Account inactivity, huh?

err... well we can't all have internet.

anyway I agree in summary about the jiggs dittos, people, just do rotating jiggs fights, one person uses jiggs, the other just uses a secondary, rotate, and so on.

As far as contributions I do my part, but no one wants to hear the stuff I talk about

Veril

Frame Savant
anyway I agree in summary about the jiggs dittos, people, just do rotating jiggs fights, one person uses jiggs, the other just uses a secondary, rotate, and so on.
This^^

Is a really good idea.

i play like 10 characters so anyone who plays me can play lots of things lol
I can play a decent Ganon, MK, PT, or Lucas. Tolerable Pikachu and Ike. Hilarious Ness and GW. Randomly effective random...

and Jiggs.

Top Bottom