• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My original fears of Nintendo balancing Smash are coming true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I'm not saying it SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be removed based on universality, I'm neutral towards its removal BECAUSE of its lack of universality. I'm not HAPPY it's gone, but I'm not SAD it's gone either. I'm simply saying it would've hit me a lot harder had it been more implemented with a bunch more characters and was more central. As of right now I'm not excited its gone nor am I really disappointed, it is how it is to me.

@ Prawn Prawn if this was unclear before, my apologies.

Last edited:

Prawn

Smash Master
I was only referring to the ones who went out of their way to say something negative regarding my stance.

YOU came in the thread smugly and called into the question of people who "needed to win using silly exploits" and others gave you the same treatment you gave us. Don't play a victim. I'm a huge **** sometimes, it's mostly when someone instigates it(and when they are wrong)

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Although it did kinda suck for a bit because Ganon's DACUS was ****ing hilarious, there's still a vine of it uploaded from the 3DS version, **** was crazy.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Edit: also no....zelda ain't wavedashing in melee. Lots of characters don't really benefit from it in any meaningful way.
I know the Melee player who was probably the reason Zelda was considered high tier in Melee back in 2002 (they won a few NorCal tournaments), and they're still a top Zelda player (although they aren't winning anything but low tier tournaments, lol). I've faced them at multiple tournaments over the last 6 or 7 years of me entering Melee tournaments on and off. They wavedash quite a bit for spacing.

Besides that, wavedashing does balance the game more, even if Zelda can't do it that well. It also does add depth to the game in the form of more options, more setups, and opening up the game more defensively and offensively.

Prawn

Smash Master
Although it did kinda suck for a bit because Ganon's DACUS was ****ing hilarious, there's still a vine of it uploaded from the 3DS version, **** was crazy.
I get what you're saying now, and I'm honestly mostly neutral to it too. My discussion in this thread has always been about what these changes mean for the future of patches in smash4 and the direction nintendo is taking.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Yeah, wavedashing as a mechanic, regardless of how much or how little it benefitted, it did add an option to SOME degree to most if not everybody in at least one single situation. I respect it as a mechanic because of this because it does that naturally and seamlessly.

@ Prawn Prawn as for the future, I hope that if Nintendo's QA can FIND and PATCH ATs in the WiiU version, I am just as confident that if they feel like it in the future, they could slip some in. They removed vertical vectoring, at this point I have no idea what the **** they gonna do.

If we wanna talk about the removal of options, the character specific ATs that Peach had (mainly edge cancel turnips I think?) and lag cancel stuff that applied to her and the Links, that's a more intriguing discussion for me. THAT comes off as a removal of genuine options.

Last edited:

Prawn

Smash Master
Yeah, wavedashing as a mechanic, regardless of how much or how little it benefitted, it did add an option to SOME degree to most if not everybody in at least one single situation. I respect it as a mechanic because of this because it does that naturally and seamlessly.

@ Prawn Prawn as for the future, I hope that if Nintendo's QA can FIND and PATCH ATs in the WiiU version, I am just as confident that if they feel like it in the future, they could slip some in. They removed vertical vectoring, at this point I have no idea what the **** they gonna do.
Noted about the zelda thing, I didn't mean they never did I just mostly meant that the uses for Marth and the uses for zelda are very different.

Yeah honestly it's pretty cool that they are messing with the engine like that.

If they add ice climbers then they can do no wrong in my book :p

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
A ton of the opinions being expressed in this thread are very clearly coming from complete lack of competitive experience and using "it's just my opinion, man" as a shield for it.
That's a problem with this competitive board a lot of the time. There are newer players who instead of asking about things they don't know just assume their opinion is the correct one.

In order to grow you must first learn. In order to learn, you must first be willing to learn instead of assuming they already now best.
First, "the way the creator intended it to be played" is noncompetitive. Sakurai wants an extremely simple party game.
Exactly. The person who invented football (soccer for Americans) didn't foresee its' great depth, with things like all the fancy dribbling and advanced goalie angling tactics being a thing. When Thomas Edison invented the lightbulb, he didn't foresee them being "energy efficient." The person who invented the wheel didn't imagine motor vehicles using them to go tens or hundreds of miles/KM per hour. The person who built the first house didn't foresee gigantic 100 story buildings with impressive architecture and even in home heating, air conditioning, plumbing, electricity, etc. being built.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to achieve these things or perfection and that we should abandon these things because the creator didn't have the foresight to see these things.

This is a common practice in many things: people make or invent things or ideas, and others improve or even perfect it. Competitive play's purpose is to further how well a person can play in a game, possibly to perfection. By doing this, you must explore every avenue and use every tool at your disposal to ever hope to achieve anything close to perfection.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Even if the game ends up having the lowest skill gap in the series (which seems to be the direction this game is heading) I'm positive the gap will still be large enough to reward dedication and allow professional players to dominate at a high level.

Basically I feel that even without ATs the core mechanics of all Smash games are still deep enough and allow enough options to show a clear distinction between a "casual player, "good player," and "professional player." As long as that distinction is still there I'll be satisfied since I've always loved Smash at its core while ATs are just the cherry on top (most of them at least... some of them are jank and I'm glad they're gone).

Now whether this leads to a more FUN competitive experience or not is an entirely different discussion. As we've seen in this thread some are going to enjoy the accessibility, while others are going to be irritated with the lack of options. Then you have those that are neutral and are dedicated to learning this game regardless of how it turns out. It all comes down to personal preference really.

LightLV

Smash Ace
We have a game about holding the ball and running. Football is very popular.

But besides that. I'm fine with some advanced techniques. But I want them to feel like techniques, not glitches. Wavedashing looks and feels like a glitch (I slide if I airdodge into the ground? The heck?), and as much as I enjoyed DACUSing in Brawl, it also felt like a glitch, compared to dash-smashing (at least, that's what I call a running Upsmash), which does the same thing with significantly less distance, and doesn't feel like a glitch, as all characters slide some when you stop inputting a dash.
Football is absolutely nothing l....nevermind.

DACUS is understandable, but wavedash? You're 100% in control of the entire process, It's just an emergent factor of 2 well understood abilities, and the entire cast could put it to use.

What would you add in place of a glitch? A tweak that works LIKE the glitch without feeling like a glitch? What if they made it so that a dash-smash gave reduced friction during the upsmash, making it functionally identical to a DACUS? I'd love that, but I have no doubt some people would complain that it lowered the technical gap, even though the "advanced technique" is still there, just less advanced from a timing standpoint.
Man, look. There are completely sensible mechanics that people in this community will sware to death is a glitch. L-Cancelling is commonly described as an "exploit" or "glitch", despite the fact it's clearly hardcoded in the game with a specific window, specific input, and specific effects. It wasn't even hard to do...L-Cancelling was exactly what you are describing, since it was added in place of Z-cancelling in Smash64.

But i'm convinced that such an idea would be lost upon the Smash community, they complain about anything that involves any amount of input past tilts/taps + a button.

I like a low technical gap, it lets more people compete, which grows the scene and makes it easier to get new blood into the system. Plus, this is only the first of what will hopefully be many balance patches. Who knows, they may re-add some techniques in the future, but come up with some for the whole cast to make it a level playing field.
The most ideal scenario would be for Nintendo to design its characters with an amount of intended, emergent depth that would render advanced techniques worthless because they're included by design. But there's no indication this is ever going to happen in smash.

A game doesn't need a high technical gap to be competitive, it just needs to have a nice amount of respectful options and rules. Smash has been watering down those options and rules, and it's competitive nature suffers because of it.

Just like everyone should be able to have fun and win when playing around with friends, anyone should be able to stand a valid chance with their character at the highest tier of play, as well.
This literally makes no sense.

How can you think you can create a competitive game, where 2 people practice at different intensity, yet still come out equally matched? The idea of practicing and improving is the whole point of competitive play. Mastery is the CORE of competitive games. It can't happen.

You want to bridge the gap between competitive and casual players? INCLUDE BETTER HANDICAP OPTIONS...Ironically, yet another feature that was drastically nerfed after Melee.

Smash 4 should have used the opportunity to include a new button, or add a new mechanic. Air grabs, throw break, a different shield, a comeback mechanic, or maybe even a dedicated tech button that does something different for every character. That way it could keep its simplicity and just add another layer onto gameplay that doesn't have to worry about being better or worse than it was in Melee. But instead it's just dancing around the concept of being competitive without really putting forth any effort to make the step.

Last edited:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
@raji yeah, and there really are a ton of characters and moves in this game too, even if the skillcap is low there's so much learning to be had, so many strategies to be uncovered and moves to be explored and pitted against one another and no metaknight to render them all useless in the end

I don't see the metagame staling anytime soon

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Dude, have you actually played competitive Chess? It requires tremendous memorization of openings and positions. There are tons of situations where if you open wrong, you're probably going to lose based on the first three moves of the game. You have to know every subtlety of the game. It's complex. Can you imagine how bad Chess would be if it was consistently "patched" to remove good setups and positions? It'd probably be easier to get in to, but it'd be shallow at high levels. The complexity, the peak, would be gone. And guess what? That may be what Nintendo wants. The board game Chess.

The last thing Chess is in competition is simple. Simple tools build to complexity. The number of options you have out of any given position is almost limitless, yet people are able to figure out how to respond to a given situation. Appraising a complex position and making the right move fast is prized. This is much more like Melee.* Smash 4 and Brawl have very limited options out of any given situations.

* And this is coming from someone who has made a Brawl-Chess analogy before (because Brawl has a lot of complexity and abstract spacing).

And even if we ignore your simplification of chess, why is it you want to take any complexity out of the game? Is Basketball a better game if we take out dribbling?
Each piece is simple yes, and obviously the goal is simple (checkmate the king), but the combination of all those options and all those pieces is nearly infinitely complex. There are literally thousands of valid theories on how to achieve this, each long and numerous with hundreds of long processes you have to go through.

You have to play 20 turns ahead and map out all the options of how the board could look in 20 turns if you ever hope of beating just the 100,000th best player in the world at chess.

Literally each piece on the board squares the amount of options you can do or take. I don't know about you guys, but even if it is as limited as say 10 to the 16th power (written in math terms as "10^16"), that is a HUGE NUMBER.
The funny thing is that people made these exact posts at the beginning of Brawl's life. Eventually, they gained experience or left. This is the launch flood.
All this reminds me of the tournament I went to where Mario Bros was legal because people didn't understand why some stages are legal vs. some stages banned.

The funny thing is someone counter-picked my Toon Link with that stage with Ike after I told them it was a bad move. They didn't listen (they felt the random elements would throw me off; people don't realize I play every smash stage at least 100 times to know them all [sans Smash 3DS because that game isn't competitive).

So, I "reward them" by circle camping them to purposefully hit him into the stage hazard NPC's on the stage so they could get all 3 of my KO's in a JV 4 stock win to rub salt in his wound! :laugh:

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
DACUS is understandable, but wavedash? You're 100% in control of the entire process, It's just an emergent factor of 2 well understood abilities, and the entire cast could put it to use.
To use, yes. To good use, Bowser would like a word with you, amongst others. And with the exceptions of Peach and Jigglypuff, the entire top tier of Melee relied heavily on the ability. Its results are not consistent with the properties of the component inputs, at least in my opinion. You call it an "emergent factor", but what it really is is an edge case: multiple tangentially related options come together in a not-particularly apparent way. It makes sense once it's learned, but perhaps I and all Smash players I've ever met are simply too casual, but not one of them discovered Wavedashing on their own across thousands of hours playing the game. It's not a maneuver you expect to appear out of a low airdodge, much less one that an average player can be expected to apply in their practice. And again, maybe I'd feel differently if it wasn't a competition-mandatory easter egg. But as it was deliberately included in the game, it makes zero sense for it to have not been included in any documentation.

Man, look. There are completely sensible mechanics that people in this community will sware to death is a glitch. L-Cancelling is commonly described as an "exploit" or "glitch", despite the fact it's clearly hardcoded in the game with a specific window, specific input, and specific effects. It wasn't even hard to do...L-Cancelling was exactly what you are describing, since it was added in place of Z-cancelling in Smash64.

But i'm convinced that such an idea would be lost upon the Smash community, they complain about anything that involves any amount of input past tilts/taps + a button.
L-canceling is known to not be a glitch. The bigger issue there is that it isn't publicized in the manual, or the game itself, only on an ancient website and, nowadays, through word of mouth/wikis/whatever. The game doesn't teach you how to L-cancel, you simply stumble upon it or are told that it works, then learn it. That's an entirely different issue. My only qualm with L-canceling is that it adds zero depth, only complexity - it is always the best choice when landing.

The most ideal scenario would be for Nintendo to design its characters with an amount of intended, emergent depth that would render advanced techniques worthless because they're included by design. But there's no indication this is ever going to happen in smash.

A game doesn't need a high technical gap to be competitive, it just needs to have a nice amount of respectful options and rules. Smash has been watering down those options and rules, and it's competitive nature suffers because of it.
I can't disagree that it waters down options, but as it does so by enforcing the rules via bugfixing, I cannot consider this a bad thing. If it's an intended design, then it should be designed within the current rules, and not as an exception to a rule. i.e. Yoshi soaring to impractical heights after pressing the button that normally leads to a very well-known height follows no conceivable form of reasoning (aside from whatever the computer did to make it happen).

This literally makes no sense.

How can you think you can create a competitive game, where 2 people practice at different intensity, yet still come out equally matched? The idea of practicing and improving is the whole point of competitive play. Mastery is the CORE of competitive games. It can't happen.

You want to bridge the gap between competitive and casual players? INCLUDE BETTER HANDICAP OPTIONS...Ironically, yet another feature that was drastically nerfed after Melee.
Not at all what I was saying. You mentioned that Nintendo's intent seems to be for friends to play and whoever to win, which at least implies a level of balance at the casual level. My point was that the game should also be balanced for competitive play, which I thought was sufficiently obviously tied to "and yet having mechanics that grant good characters better options and only give mediocre characters less trash options does not result in balance." I apologize for the assumption.

I feel like a diehard Fox fan and a diehard Bowser fan should be able to practice to some arbitrarily defined level of "Perfectly equal skill" and they should be able to have at least close to an even 50:50 match where the winner is determined by who plays better that round. But they can't, because Fox is good, and gets indefinitely more mileage out of wavedashing, L-canceling, and virtually every other mechanic in the game, advanced technique or otherwise, than Bowser does. Virtually nothing in Melee can be done by an equally good Bowser player to stand a chance against a Fox player.

A better player should always beat a worse player. But two equally matched players at the highest level of skill should not be forced by character imbalance to pick from a small subset of the roster of characters in order to stand a reasonable chance in the competition. I'm aware that there will virtually always be tiers (whether due to the general play style or simply because of innate character properties), but that does not mean that tiered character viability is a desirable game state. Balance patches are the biggest step towards that, and if you have to remove an unequally-beneficial property to better balance the game, then so be it. Balance with fewer options is far better than option-rich extreme imbalance.

Smash 4 should have used the opportunity to include a new button, or add a new mechanic. Air grabs, throw break, a different shield, a comeback mechanic, or maybe even a dedicated tech button that does something different for every character. That way it could keep its simplicity and just add another layer onto gameplay that doesn't have to worry about being better or worse than it was in Melee. But instead it's just dancing around the concept of being competitive without really putting forth any effort to make the step.
I agree on this point (after all, even Gamecube controller loyalists rarely need to use both shield buttons for the same function, or both jump buttons, and there's always reassigning control options). However, I don't think what they've done is make Smash non-competitive. On the contrary, all skilled play I've seen indicates that it's a very competitive game. It gives more validity to defensive play than Melee, more validity to offensive play than Brawl, and even across its character tiers, the tiers seem closer than they have in the past, at least to me.

All of that, and even without advanced techniques, players are still competing, and the better player is still winning (or the player using the better character, or the player better with the better character, or what have you). Any one of them would still beat any non-competitive-level player. The removal of technique has done nothing to dilute competitive play, it has simply made it more streamlined and understandable. Not only are these players still able to practice and improve their play both timing-wise and intellectually, but any up-and-coming player who watches a tournament can finally do so without suddenly seeing some mystical sliding that they've never run across in their own play.

It makes it easier to learn and play without making it easier to win. That is a sign of good design.

Even if the game ends up having the lowest skill gap in the series (which seems to be the direction this game is heading) I'm positive the gap will still be large enough to reward dedication and allow professional players to dominate at a high level.

Basically I feel that even without ATs the core mechanics of all Smash games are still deep enough and allow enough options to show a clear distinction between a "casual player, "good player," and "professional player." As long as that distinction is still there I'll be satisfied since I've always loved Smash at its core while ATs are just the cherry on top (most of them at least... some of them are jank and I'm glad they're gone).

Now whether this leads to a more FUN competitive experience or not is an entirely different discussion. As we've seen in this thread some are going to enjoy the accessibility, while others are going to be irritated with the lack of options. Then you have those that are neutral and are dedicated to learning this game regardless of how it turns out. It all comes down to personal preference really.
You captured my thoughts perfectly. Thank you.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
People still consider Z and L-cancelling are glitches after they were on the Smash 64 and Melee official website, mentioned by smash developers before, and thus was clearly put in on purpose=???

I could say something negative there, but I don't go for low hanging fruit, other than to say this:

If you think people shouldn't use such mechanics or even exploits that are similar to this, you should never post in the competitive section of this site until your mind changes, because that kind of logic doesn't belong here.

hariooo

Smash Apprentice
Alright someone who doesn't think Puff and Peach put wavedashing to good use at the top levels of play really, really shouldn't be making judgments about high level Melee. Armada won Genesis 2 off of a wavedash out of shield to runoff nair that was actually the only possible option to punish Mango's fox's weirdly spaced up-b. Having that niche punishment option available and executed well made that moment. I'm just not sure why you talk with such self-confidence about a game you clearly don't even play or watch seriously.

Also, balance is desireable but people need to have some reasonable demands. There should be no realistic expectations that a game with dozens of characters should have near even matchups between all the characters. Even games developed to be competitive in the first place don't really approach that level of balance. So if the diehard Bowser fan is upset that he can't beat the diehard Fox fan, they're going to have to deal with the fact that they consider "winning with my favourite character" more important than "winning, period". There must be some corollary to Godwin's Law in terms of namedropping Sirlin's "Play to Win" around here but like, seriously. I want world peace but it's not a practical desire. The gap between Melee's top tier and bottom tier is vast, but it's not out of the ordinary for fighting games or indeed, even serious competitive fighting games. It's not a legitimate criticism of Melee unless you're taking all games into your sights.

Balance is overrated in terms of importance to a competitive game. The "game" part of that term is more significant. The game has to be fun. Long combos (at least the ones that aren't braindead like wobbling) are fun. Having a dozen different ways to move and control your character is fun. Having many unique mechanics that can be influenced in different and unexpected ways is fun. And those are common components of the most well-regarded competitive fighting games.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You lumped me with the rest, but I'm not like them. I don't agree past the glitches should be removed, as I will use them as necessary regardless. I will always do whatever it takes to win but I won't complain if a glitch I used gets removed. I would just rather play a game as it was intended instead of it being full of glitches. Believe me, I've seen and played enough competitive multiplayer games with glitches develop, and subsequently be ruined, to understand how the progression of said glitches works.

If Sakurai didn't want people to fight 1v1 without items, not only would he of not allowed items to be disabled back in SSB64, he wouldn't of made Glory mode. The argument holds no water.

Last edited:

Mac2492

Smash Apprentice
To us, Smash is a competitive fighting game (or at least we'd like it to be). This is likely the core of the disagreement.

Praxis' post is key here. He is absolutely correct about fighting games in general. My first venture into multiplayer games was Gunz Online. This was a niche third-person shooter that flourished upon the discovery that the animation for an aerial slash could be canceled with other motions. This spawned the most over-the-top abuse of glitches and game mechanics I've seen in any game and that game is still holds a special place in my heart for it. One advanced technique involved a jump, two dashes, a slash, and two gunshots executed in the time frame of a second or so.

However, Smash is not like other fighting games. Other fighting games primarily target the fighting game audience, while still trying to appeal to more casual players. Smash targets more casual players, while still trying to appeal to the hardcore audience. Wavedashing in Melee was GREAT, but they did not develop the game with fast-paced, high-skill 1v1 action in mind. That was just a fortunate, unintended result of the mechanics they implemented. Advanced techniques can and often do improve gameplay.

Smash has always tried to level the playing field across skill levels (smash balls are a prime example) with simpler controls and comparatively small movesets. This doesn't mean they are trying to remove the distinction between a good player and a bad player. It simply means that a casual player and a hardcore player should have access to the same tools. I understand completely if you're thinking "well the bad player should just learn advanced techniques because they aren't THAT hard to learn" and I agree, but that is the mindset of a competitive gamer. If I play a match with my Smash friend and use Robin's triple jump he'll say "how did you jump again". If I play a match with my sister and use Robin's triple jump she'll just have trouble killing me and not understand why. Nintendo's solution for this disparity was removing the glitch.

When an advanced technique arises, the developer has the choice of removing or keeping it. The ones that are "fair" could theoretically be kept so that hardcore gamers have more tricks to develop, but this is purely a service to the competitive community that is so grounded in exploiting game mechanics to make their games more interesting. Nintendo has made it pretty clear that they aren't just catering to us.

We can agree that the removal of advanced techniques is not necessarily good. Is it necessarily bad? No. I believe that advanced techniques are perfectly healthy for the competitive community, but I also admit that they create an invisible power gap between a competitive gamer and a non-competitive gamer. My feeling is Nintendo wants the superior gamer to beat the inferior gamer because they are better at using the same tools, not because they have more tools.

The balance patch was essentially spot-on. It's too soon to assume every advanced technique will be removed, as I have the feeling Nintendo might officially support a technique if it has a clear, reasonable effect that isn't simply canceling lag. For example, Robin can still buffer tomes by casting spells before the tome is thrown. In addition, weaknesses that advanced techniques are used to overcome can be directly addressed by tweaking the character movesets themselves. If a character has too much landing lag and they use a move to cancel it then why keep an obscure glitch when you can just decrease the character's landing lag?

IzE

Smash Cadet
People still consider Z and L-cancelling are glitches after they were on the Smash 64 and Melee official website, mentioned by smash developers before, and thus was clearly put in on purpose=???

I could say something negative there, but I don't go for low hanging fruit, other than to say this:

If you think people shouldn't use such mechanics or even exploits that are similar to this, you should never post in the competitive section of this site until your mind changes, because that kind of logic doesn't belong here.
I don't believe it's an argument of should vs shouldn't.

In competition, as explained to me by others, that "tech" like the previous ZSS infinite on Robin would be allowed. The staple notion that the competitive community regards to balance is that we cannot regulate people's inputs or restrict the player's options. Although many may not like the various advantages this provides in certain matchups, I agree, it is a standard that must/should be implemented. This should remain constant with the removal of tech.

However, unlike previous titles, this game has been changed. Although this standard has been broken before due to technicalities unaware to me. (1.0 vs 1.1 vs 1.2 vs PAL) Logic? Arbitrary? Anything?

Wavedash, chaingrab, l-cancel, and various other "tech", these options are removed unlike the previous game(s) and should be taken as a way to adapt to the current game. People argue about Brawl's removal of wavedash and l-cancel, previous Melee mechanics that were never implemented again in the series. Brawls meta evolved around its own mechanics. The arguments to disallow tech in a competitive setting can be used against the (re)implementation of said tech from previous and current titles.

Philosophy;
"We shouldn't allow (AT)" : "We can't limit the player's options allowed in game": "Players must adapt "
Smash 4
Before patch:
"We shouldn't allow (ex)infinite" : "We can't limit the player's options allowed in game" : "Player must adapt"

After patch:
"We should be able to, infinite" : "You can't be given an impossible option" : "Player must adapt"
"We should be able to, chaingrab" : "Option impossible through the game" : "Player must adapt"
"We should be able to, wavedash" : "Option impossible through the game" : "Player must adapt"

ZSS can chain attacks infinitely on Robin > option is possible > Game's standard constant > Adapt
ZSS cannot chain attack infinitely on Robin > option is impossible > Game's standard changed > Adapt

The competitive mindset strictly relies on adaptability; towards your opponent, character, and even its physics. There is no perfect balance, but there is balance in those who choose to adapt and those who stagnate. Smash bros is an evolving game, whether people to choose to evolve with it or turn away from it.

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
To use, yes. To good use, Bowser would like a word with you, amongst others. And with the exceptions of Peach and Jigglypuff, the entire top tier of Melee relied heavily on the ability. Its results are not consistent with the properties of the component inputs, at least in my opinion. You call it an "emergent factor", but what it really is is an edge case: multiple tangentially related options come together in a not-particularly apparent way. It makes sense once it's learned, but perhaps I and all Smash players I've ever met are simply too casual, but not one of them discovered Wavedashing on their own across thousands of hours playing the game. It's not a maneuver you expect to appear out of a low airdodge, much less one that an average player can be expected to apply in their practice. And again, maybe I'd feel differently if it wasn't a competition-mandatory easter egg. But as it was deliberately included in the game, it makes zero sense for it to have not been included in any documentation.

L-canceling is known to not be a glitch. The bigger issue there is that it isn't publicized in the manual, or the game itself, only on an ancient website and, nowadays, through word of mouth/wikis/whatever. The game doesn't teach you how to L-cancel, you simply stumble upon it or are told that it works, then learn it. That's an entirely different issue. My only qualm with L-canceling is that it adds zero depth, only complexity - it is always the best choice when landing.
You or I didn't find or use wavedash in our time playing Melee because we didn't possess the type of competitive mindset that would cause us to look at the mechanics of the game past face value. It's not something I learned or even cared about doing until I started playing real fighting games. Dash and dodge roll was every option to me, because it was all that was put in my face. I knew about short hop during my time in smash bros, but giving it application was something that escaped me. Dash dancing is as simple as jiggling the stick back and forth. It's not hard to find out about, it doesn't do anything that simple movement cant, and it would be completely useless if you found it out on mistake...but it's a mindgame tool, and an effective one. Do you think Melee should have included that in the manual? Would it even be the same thing if they did?

And, Bowser's spot on the Melee tier list has nothing to do with wavedashing; It's a result of a basic outclassing of factors, the same ones that allow the S-tier to excel even more when you factor wavedashing in. Bowser had a wealth of issues with his intended playstyle that didn't quite pan out for him the way im sure they intended, and he'd likely still be trashtier even if wavedash didn't exist.

I feel like a diehard Fox fan and a diehard Bowser fan should be able to practice to some arbitrarily defined level of "Perfectly equal skill" and they should be able to have at least close to an even 50:50 match where the winner is determined by who plays better that round. But they can't, because Fox is good, and gets indefinitely more mileage out of wavedashing, L-canceling, and virtually every other mechanic in the game, advanced technique or otherwise, than Bowser does. Virtually nothing in Melee can be done by an equally good Bowser player to stand a chance against a Fox player.

A better player should always beat a worse player. But two equally matched players at the highest level of skill should not be forced by character imbalance to pick from a small subset of the roster of characters in order to stand a reasonable chance in the competition. I'm aware that there will virtually always be tiers (whether due to the general play style or simply because of innate character properties), but that does not mean that tiered character viability is a desirable game state. Balance patches are the biggest step towards that, and if you have to remove an unequally-beneficial property to better balance the game, then so be it. Balance with fewer options is far better than option-rich extreme imbalance.
What you describe is a balance issue, in a game released in 2001, where the only concept of "rebalance" was "factory reprint". Like I mentioned, bowser was just a weak character, who's strengths didn't live up to the evolution of the metagame. Putting aside the fact that a true 50:50 matchup in a fighter is only ever going to be guaranteed in a mirror match, yes, tiers are almost always going to exist, and shift around. I agree though. The sign of a truly balanced game is when any character has a chance of placing high in a tournament, and smash has never been one of those games. But the way games get to that point is by having well-designed factors and options avaliable to their characters.

However, it's really pointless to complain about the state of melee's metagame because there's nothing that can be done about it. It says nothing about the integrity of the game, or the strength of its features; only the time period which it was released.

I agree on this point (after all, even Gamecube controller loyalists rarely need to use both shield buttons for the same function, or both jump buttons, and there's always reassigning control options). However, I don't think what they've done is make Smash non-competitive. On the contrary, all skilled play I've seen indicates that it's a very competitive game. It gives more validity to defensive play than Melee, more validity to offensive play than Brawl, and even across its character tiers, the tiers seem closer than they have in the past, at least to me.
This is just something that's going to have to pan out. It's still way too early to draw any conclusions at this point, and, clearly, nintendo is going to have a hand in it...With no patch notes to make the whole process as slow and unintuitive as possible, naturally.

All of that, and even without advanced techniques, players are still competing, and the better player is still winning (or the player using the better character, or the player better with the better character, or what have you). Any one of them would still beat any non-competitive-level player. The removal of technique has done nothing to dilute competitive play, it has simply made it more streamlined and understandable. Not only are these players still able to practice and improve their play both timing-wise and intellectually, but any up-and-coming player who watches a tournament can finally do so without suddenly seeing some mystical sliding that they've never run across in their own play.

It makes it easier to learn and play without making it easier to win. That is a sign of good design.
Smash 4 is going to be "competitive" no matter what happens...if Brawl is any indicator. The question is, will it be an interestingly competitive game. And that depends entirely on the strength of its mechanics. Accessibility is wonderful, but depth and mastery is what makes a game survive the time. It's how Melee, a game made in 2001, was kept relevant enough to find a spot amongst current-gen fighters in EVO this year.

Honestly, that's all people are hoping for. A game that can become something other than a campfest between the characters with the best glitches left in the game. The tragedy of smash though is, that, following the trend of Brawl anyway, the removal of the glitchy **** is honestly the only way matches aren't predictible and shallow.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Warning Received
I am so glad there is someone else that agrees. Hence why I canceled my pre order of the wii u version.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Sorry folks, but glitches should be removed. The last page was kind of depressing to read in how many people equate more options with depth. Unfortunately it at least seems Praxis was mistaken, playing to win is about a competitive mentality not designing a game. Obviously its annoying if constant patches don't allow the meta to develop, but given a choice between patching out glitches in a new game or not patch that **** out.

I do agree developer intent is more or less not relevant, I think any smart developer would understand they have little control or ability to forsee how thing will play out.
Honestly? A game without technical barriers is just a ****ty scrubfest. Basketball wouldn't be much of a sport if you were allowed to just hold the ball and run. The rules on dribbling are a technical barrier that pretty much defines good players from the bad. Same concept with competitive videogames.
Theres crazy amounts of deep games that dont rely on technical barriers.
"You only won cause you kept doing that move over and over! Scrub! I could beat you if you used a different character and didn't rely on your petty exploits!"
True. Also they're prolly paying people to find them. Not to mention there's probably barely anything else game changing left to be discovered.

But eh. Still seems somewhat valid
Generally people complaining about removal of the things are just as bad as those who complain about wanting them removed. It's an equal level of scrubbery and very few times are the complaints valid. In the end it comes down to which is better in terms of design. However I understand they started it.

And yeah I think pretty much anything major was taken out with this update.

Why? Why does every character "need" a DACUS? why doesn't every character have a projectile then? Or a throw to follow up into combos? Or multiple jumps? Or a good roll? Because it's a "glitch"?
Not sure about every character needing one, but the game isnt balanced around random characters having a DACUS.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Okay I know it wasn't you who first mentioned this but I'm sick of this nonsense about these newer games being more like chess because they're slower and so require more thought, apparently.

First of all, this is a flat out lie. Just because the games give you more time to think, that doesn't make them inherently more thoughtful. Whoever believes Melee players think the game is better due to LOLBUTTONS is delusional. You could make l-cancelling automatic and wavedashing less awkward and they'd probably like that change. The best players would still be the best without a doubt.

But I digress, the reason why the chess analogy is totally wrong is because chess is am inherently aggressive game where you pressure your opponent into making bad moves, the defensive element comes from making sure your moves aren't punishable within the next turn or two.

Brawl and Smash 4 are hugely more defensive in their approach, which is fine if you like that style of play, but to liken them to chess and say Melee is just mindless tech skill is flat out wrong.

On the topic of patches, I just really hope they don't make it a regular occurrence, otherwise it negates the point of even committing to learning stuff.
No offense, but give my post another read. That way you're not making strawmen. Same for the other guy.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wavedash, chaingrab, l-cancel, and various other "tech", these options are removed unlike the previous game(s) and should be taken as a way to adapt to the current game. People argue about Brawl's removal of wavedash and l-cancel, previous Melee mechanics that were never implemented again in the series. Brawls meta evolved around its own mechanics. The arguments to disallow tech in a competitive setting can be used against the (re)implementation of said tech from previous and current titles.
The thing is even if Brawl had a very narrow offense generally speaking (Meta Knight being an exception), it still had sooooo many advanced techniques that helped cover it. It had way more than Melee ever had. I only ever really tried to play Toon Link competitively (he was the only character in the game I enjoyed), and when I played the game there were at least 30 different AT's I would regularly use and practice. Over a dozen more were found after I stopped playing Brawl. While yes, few of them were "advanced", they did add little bits of depth that equaled a huge amount of meta game change.

With this game, so far we haven't found nearly as many as Brawl had, and few are nearly as impactful as a few of the Brawl techniques or the Brawl combos/chain grabs that were found. It's kind of startling how much less there is of that then Brawl after that in Brawl being one of the bright spots (well sans the chain grabs). Still, the execution of this game feels more like Melee in the sense that it feels more action heavy.
The competitive mindset strictly relies on adaptability; towards your opponent, character, and even its physics. There is no perfect balance, but there is balance in those who choose to adapt and those who stagnate. Smash bros is an evolving game, whether people to choose to evolve with it or turn away from it.
I think I speak for not just myself but most competitive smashers in saying that we are fine with adapting regardless of whether things get better or just more different. That's all fine and dandy.

The problem is the lack of communication from Nintendo on these changes really hurts the desire from a lot of players to play the game. We don't even know what we're stepping into anymore. I mean, that comes with the territory when you first start a game, but if this kind of patching continually happens, people are going to move away each time it happens. Smash 4's competitive scene will get lose steam at an accelerated rate. If this isn't changed in future patches, Nintendo runs a major risk of isolating Smash 4 from the Smash competitive community.

Heck, they run the risk of isolating super dedicated non-competitive smashers as well (although that's another story for another sub-board).

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
This thread has devolved into an argument that I'm not sure really belongs on this thread, as it has me wanting to talk about that argument instead of the thread itself. Oh well. Such is life.

Anyway, I think that if the Smash team is considerate of both competitive and casual players (and, although they arent making the game specifically for us, they do understand we are a large part of the audience, and won't do anything to intentionally screw us over) we'll be okay. I dont forsee them bringing back wavedashing, because that would likely require an entire physics engine change to properly replicate(since, wavedashing wasn't actually a glitch but rather an oddity of the physics engine that the team knew about and left in.

I'm sure the QA team working on Smash related things are patrolling our forums at least occasionally, because they are aware of our existence and understand that if they keep doing things that make us upset, their game wont sell very well after launch and will be stuck with a reputation as bad as or worse than Brawl's. Sakurai clearly actually cared about this game, because there is a lot put into it, and a lot is good about it.

I honestly believe that his patch was for nothing more than to accommodate the final version of the Wii U's game, so that the gameplay would be the same. Basically, it is the product of the work they were still doing on the Wii U version. Meaning, we wont see another patch like this for a while, until some new game-breaking glitch is found. Its safe to assume that patches we will see from now on will be relegated to bugfixing, and not true gameplay changes, IMHO. We may see some more balancing done in the future, but I dont see that being a constant thing. I'm sure even the big N knows that if they mess with it too much, its going to ruin it.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Sorry folks, but glitches should be removed. The last page was kind of depressing to read in how many people equate more options with depth.
All glitches, no matter what? I find it depressing to read how many people equate glitches with bad. Just because the developer didn't forsee it doesn't mean it can't turn out to be a good thing. The competitive Smash community was founded on emergent tactics that Sakurai never expected. To spout such a closed-mindedly prescriptivist sentiment is to **** on the entire scene.

Not once has anyone even said that all options add depth, you are making up strawmen here. What we are saying is to check them out and see if they're good before instantly condemning them with "OMG, glitch, automatically bad, must go immediately!" DACUS is an example that we've been checking out since Brawl and PM, and guess what? It's good!

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
No offense, but give my post another read. That way you're not making strawmen. Same for the other guy.
Don't use that word when you don't even know what it means.

I wasn't trying to directly refute your post, that was the first thing I even made clear, specifically said I was attacking the chess analogy and the notion that melee players are only interested in complex mechanical techniques.

Therefore not a strawman because OH WAIT I made it clear that I was targeting the cherry picked parts and stuck with them!

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Don't use that word when you don't even know what it means.

I wasn't trying to directly refute your post, that was the first thing I even made clear, specifically said I was attacking the chess analogy and the notion that melee players are only interested in complex mechanical techniques.

Therefore not a strawman because OH WAIT I made it clear that I was targeting the cherry picked parts and stuck with them!

Yeah, no, I read your post. You seem to have missed the entire point of the chess analogy; no one was talking about Brawl/Smash 4's defensive nature. Intentional cherrypicking, fine. But you attacked a completely different chess analogue never mentioned in this topic, and certainly not in my post.

Also, no one said anything about "more button presses." My post said "more technical options," (i.e. ATs). In short, your tirade had nothing to do with my post.

(Also, strawmanning != cherrypicking)

...Sorry if I'm being a bit of a ****, I'm trying to balance studying and Smash :(

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Advanced techniques were always about "pushing the metagame forward", how they helped characters would often shift perceived (and applicable) power level of characters. When we discovered dacus, the characters who had usable ones were 'stronger', it made them better than they were before. Buffered chain grabs on Pikachu? Huge boon to him.

But when we have balance patches, shouldn't we be happy with the options we have assuming they're powerful/viable enough or eventually will be?

It's a bizarre prospect to us for the first time to actually have balance patches, and thus far not ones that were unfounded other than arguably "glitch" removals. But does Robin need a dacus? If they're not strong without one, shouldn't we hope and expect minor tweaks elsewhere to make them better? What about a chain grab/infinite discovery that suddenly places an unheard of character towards the top?

We used to accept it, because everyone got this **** in various capacities, but ideally we don't have to anymore. It was scrubby to ban techniques because we had to take a hands off approach to these things assuming it is better for the metagame to develop with all things there ("how can we find counters if we ban it/remove it?"). We're looking at the balance team as scrubs, that's completely absurd; we can complain about the impact of their changes, but we're not in the position to complain about what those changes really are, this is how it's always been; the game gives you lemons and we make lemonade (or we get something too sour; like MK and Ice Climbers), same story just in a different tune.

There's obviously intended mechanics, because just about every character has access to them. If they all combine together to make a strong, fun character and the game still takes skill to succeed and rewards the best player (WE STILL HAVE POWER SHIELDING) shouldn't this be more than enough?

I don't necessarily agree either that more options are "bad". As long as there is a humanly possible solution to all options, then more options to me creates an enjoyable game; if those things require more skill to use, I'm ecstatic to achieve them. Can't take away my enjoyment of power shield punishes in all three games ;)

[Someone's probably said something similar already, but I'm now keeping an eye on the thread to either keep it on track or kill it if gets cyclical/petty/etc]

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah, no, I read your post. You seem to have missed the entire point of the chess analogy; no one was talking about Brawl/Smash 4's defensive nature. Intentional cherrypicking, fine. But you attacked a completely different chess analogue never mentioned in this topic, and certainly not in my post.

Also, no one said anything about "more button presses." My post said "more technical options," (i.e. ATs). In short, your tirade had nothing to do with my post.

(Also, strawmanning != cherrypicking)

...Sorry if I'm being a bit of a ****, I'm trying to balance studying and Smash :(
Yes because any mention of those gamed and chess in the same breath irks me to no end. It just doesn't work, ever. Still if you really want let's address your point. It's not the removal of ATs that's the biggest issue when the game is stripped down (which is what you were alluding to with the added ease of execution, which is actually welcomed), it's the fact that things were changed/removed that massively decrease the number of safe options, centralising the game's mechanics into a shallower experience. With added aerial lag, low hitstun, low shield stun, and a weakened grab game, many of the fundamental tactics of Smash (that even existed in Brawl), are no longer really possible with these new changes.

Also more technical options = more button presses, that's the entire definition of technical, the physical execution.

Strawmanning is the act of cherry picking a point not entirely relevant to the overall argument and picking it apart to create the false illusion that you're refuting the main point to win a debate. That's not what I did because there was literally no veil, and I made it perfectly clear what I had a problem with.

\o__o/

otter

Smash Ace
For many players, adapting to opponents and adapting to a changing game game are comparable. competitive players are inching towards mastery together, using each other as rungs of a ladder that is infinitely high. If you knock the ladder down periodically and replace it with a "better" ladder, it's not going to appeal to many.

we will never see a mastered character in smash 4.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Yes because any mention of those gamed and chess in the same breath irks me to no end. It just doesn't work, ever. Still if you really want let's address your point. It's not the removal of ATs that's the biggest issue when the game is stripped down (which is what you were alluding to with the added ease of execution, which is actually welcomed), it's the fact that things were changed/removed that massively decrease the number of safe options, centralising the game's mechanics into a shallower experience. With added aerial lag, low hitstun, low shield stun, and a weakened grab game, many of the fundamental tactics of Smash (that even existed in Brawl), are no longer really possible with these new changes.

Also more technical options = more button presses, that's the entire definition of technical, the physical execution.

Strawmanning is the act of cherry picking a point not entirely relevant to the overall argument and picking it apart to create the false illusion that you're refuting the main point to win a debate. That's not what I did because there was literally no veil, and I made it perfectly clear what I had a problem with.

\o__o/
From wiki:
"The so-called typical "attacking a straw man" argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and then to refute or defeat that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the original proposition."

By attacking a different chess example as opposed to the one I actually used, you created a strawman by definition. It is not blowing up a proposition, but replacing it.

Your response in this post is on topic, and I can understand your concerns. But ultimately, it comes down to what one believes is fundamental to Smash, and what one believes the community can work with.

Finally... as per your own example, there are certain techniques that could be made simpler to perform without removing them (that is, they can be made to take fewer button presses). The techniques would still exist even if simplified, so saying that I (and/or others) believe that you want "more button presses" is reductive. Yes, more techniques require more button presses by nature (or not, as with your example of making some techniques automatic). But do you really believe that saying players like you prefer more technical options = you want more button presses?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
From wiki:
"The so-called typical "attacking a straw man" argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition by covertly replacing it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and then to refute or defeat that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the original proposition."

By attacking a different chess example as opposed to the one I actually used, you created a strawman by definition. It is not blowing up a proposition, but replacing it.
The fact that the games are so fundamentally different makes analogies to chess I relevant by nature.

Your response in this post is on topic, and I can understand your concerns. But ultimately, it comes down to what one believes is fundamental to Smash, and what one believes the community can work with.
It's mostly compounded by the fear that every time the community develops a stable and understood metagame, patches will come in that intentionally stifle the established playstyles until there is literally a shell of a game at the end. But yeah we'll see I guess.

But do you really believe that saying players like you prefer more technical options = you want more button presses?
I'm a nutshell, yes, absolutely. It's pretty much what 90% of people mean when they say something along those lines. It's good that you don't mean it like that, but trust me, most do and it's really annoying, especially since my first course of action in improving Melee (yes it can be done *gasp*) would be to decrease the difficulty of the mechanical execution.

Last edited:

kujibiki57

Smash Cadet
It seems people have two huge misconceptions about stuff

Firstly, advanced techniques and complex stuff, in smash's case, don't make an "entry barrier" into the game. Raising the skill ceiling isn't equal to raising the skill floor.
It baffles me how people think complex ATs are bad. Have you ever played any smash game without a competitive knowledge? I believe most of you did, and guess what? Past games had a ****ton of complex ATs (less in 64, more in brawl [melee isn't full of them, but due to the game's speed they seem more complex]), and it didn't interfere in low-level battles in the least.
ATs aren't an auto win button, they require understanding of the mechanics and reward players that use them well. If someone is better than you, they'll crush you wether there are ATs or not.
It seems to me that people simply project their own feelings. I see people saying "they create a barrier and may scare away new players". Were you scared away when YOU discovered new stuff? Could you explain your personal experience instead of throwing in on "the people's" laps?

Secondly, I think it's funny how people think that PM or Melee are more about being able to execute complex input sequences than having excellent notions of spacing, timing, prediction and so much more stuff.
Those games have an even higher level of everything that you need to be good in brawl and sm4sh, the only difference is that you get rewarded more for doing things right, which speeds up the game (hence having more stocks).

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Poster above me, what we're seeking is depth not complexity

And @ Shaya Shaya perhaps this is what you meant, but Thinkaman had a great post on a previous page making comparisons to options, bredth, depth, and complexity. In a sense, adding options that do not provide sufficient depth can unintentionally remove it, or maybe it's more correct to say dilute it (round of applause for l-cancelling being the poster child for this). However I feel when you use the word you imply that the options are meaningful in such a way, while most in here seem to use it more generically. (tl;dr semantics)
it's the fact that things were changed/removed that massively decrease the number of safe options, centralising the game's mechanics into a shallower experience. With added aerial lag, low hitstun, low shield stun, and a weakened grab game, many of the fundamental tactics of Smash (that even existed in Brawl), are no longer really possible with these new changes.
No offense Teran, but do you really feel you are an authority on this? Particularly with comparisons, I think the large majority of players with a high level understanding of Brawl would say differently. Maybe you could add more reasoning to your stance.
For many players, adapting to opponents and adapting to a changing game game are comparable. competitive players are inching towards mastery together, using each other as rungs of a ladder that is infinitely high. If you knock the ladder down periodically and replace it with a "better" ladder, it's not going to appeal to many.

we will never see a mastered character in smash 4.
I would say, that assumption is premature for the time being. Nintendo and Sakurai dont strike me as the sort of company that enjoy constantly patching games, do you feel differently? It would certainly be surprising to me. Outside glitches there havent really been any major changes, even the top tier nerfs were fairly tame. Compare this to 3.5 where entire movesets were changed.
All glitches, no matter what? I find it depressing to read how many people equate glitches with bad. Just because the developer didn't forsee it doesn't mean it can't turn out to be a good thing. The competitive Smash community was founded on emergent tactics that Sakurai never expected. To spout such a closed-mindedly prescriptivist sentiment is to **** on the entire scene.

Not once has anyone even said that all options add depth, you are making up strawmen here. What we are saying is to check them out and see if they're good before instantly condemning them with "OMG, glitch, automatically bad, must go immediately!" DACUS is an example that we've been checking out since Brawl and PM, and guess what? It's good!
Shaya provided the best response to this. In particular that there must be a differentiation between games that are and aren't patched.

Last edited:

Lichi

This is my war snarl
ATs do not create an entrance barrier to the game itself, but the competitive scene in Melee. There is a very noticable jump between 'good players' that play without ATs and those who play with them, even at the lower end of the competitive spectrum. Melee's ATs speed the game up drastically, so much that you'll most likely get totally whooped when playing against them with just conventional inputs. Even if you are able to read you opponent and have all the other stuff like spacing and timing, you(r character) simply cannot keep up with the pace.
I don't know how this compares to other Smashes like Brawl, but I'd say the amount of technical skill required for performing certain inputs reliably at such a fast paced game (we're talking about hundreds per minute) prevents you somewhat from gradually slipping into competitive. The game is very unforgiving to mistakes at high level play, and as long as you are not proficient with enough ATs, there's a big gap between you and the pros. Again, I want to underline that this does not mean this is not the case for the other Smashes as I do not care enough about them to research.
Compared to other games, the technical learning curve might not have that jump. Playing SC2 for example, there is no difficult input in itself. The technical aspect becomes more a question of chaining these inputs together faster and faster, but you cannot really 'fail' an attack move. A failed SHFFL in Melee though would mean a considerable loss in momentum, possible break of combo and potential opening for your opponent.
Of course, this statement does not by any means claim to be a complete representation of any skill required to be considered pro at any game. I just wanted to point out that technical skill can be a barrier - not for playing the game at all, but entering a certain level of competition.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

Shaya provided the best response to this. In particular not that there must be a differentiation between games that are and aren't patched.
Although I don't believe I was intentionally replying to that, what I will say is this.
How we used wave dashing may not have been intended, air dodging into the ground was completely "intended". It was no glitch. Fox/Falco shine jump cancels? Not glitches either, a bit shortsighted but not glitches.
L cancelling? Completely intended.
Crouch Cancelling, both in the form of cancelling dashes and hit stun? The latter probably not expected to create such degenerative game play (the single greatest thing that decided tier lists early on and still, your character either was good against it, stupidly good at using it, both or low tier).
Stuff like Samus' super wave dash? That's a glitch, that doesn't make sense. What about wobbling? It definitely wasn't something they were expecting to be possible in a 1v1, that's for sure. Are we upset about their removals? Pretty sure we aren't.

Although I have no idea how DACUS ended up in two games, I'm pretty sure there was no such 'value' or flag, or whatever, that existed within character's moveset data or data otherwise. It was a consequence of the physics engine, movement states and buffering, from what I gather we still weren't entirely sure about it in Brawl. I think we can all agree it was a glitch that randomly worked for some characters but for others it did nothing worth the effort. Kinda silly in my opinion.

With the removal of wave dashing, an option which practically replaced shield dropping and other movement options; we got multiple air dodges in the air. This slowed down and limited grounded options that existed from it.
With the removal of L cancelling, an arbitrary technical barrier was taken away, in a lot of cases the game slowed down for it. It also gave relevance to auto cancel frames, which existed in all games since the original but was otherwise ignored because "short hop fast fall L Cancelling"
Sakurai fully being aware of these options prior to and after Melee chose to put focuses elsewhere, that focused more on timing and also a slower pace.

I honestly cannot think of that many more things that are really glitches which were healthy 'tactics' but rather just the untested limits of Sakurai's design and balance decisions in Melee. Smash 64 has barely any 'advanced techniques' based off of glitches. However, it's an extremely technical game still due to L Cancelling, the lack of buffered inputs and no c-stick (i.e. the win stick).

Not expecting glitches to be removed in a game which has the intention of being actively balanced is pretty silly. "Oh peach has this landing cancel thing we didn't know about", "gah, this means that those XXXX hours of play testing for balance we had in between revisions to fine tune Peach's numbers just right are completely off, what do we do?" "well guess we need to invest another XXXX hours of play testing to gauge where she is now and then another XXXX hours after we retune her numbers with this unintended mechanic in mind!".
What do you think is the logical choice? How is this balance team expected to be able to plan around glitches they never saw coming?
THINK ABOUT IT

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
No offense Teran, but do you really feel you are an authority on this? Particularly with comparisons, I think the large majority of players with a high level understanding of Brawl would say differently. Maybe you could add more reasoning to your stance.
Wait what are you talking about? Also even though it doesn't count for much I was in BBR once lol.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Not expecting glitches to be removed in a game which has the intention of being actively balanced is pretty silly. "Oh peach has this landing cancel thing we didn't know about", "gah, this means that those XXXX hours of play testing for balance we had in between revisions to fine tune Peach's numbers just right are completely off, what do we do?" "well guess we need to invest another XXXX hours of play testing to gauge where she is now and then another XXXX hours after we retune her numbers with this unintended mechanic in mind!".
What do you think is the logical choice? How is this balance team expected to be able to plan around glitches they never saw coming?
THINK ABOUT IT
This assumes the game was flawlessly balanced before taking the tech into account, and that the developers could perfectly predict the entire metagame and foresaw every other strategy, combo, or technique players might possibly come up with. This is not the case. This never has been the case in any game ever, and never will be. Balance will not be perfect either way, and the only way to truly gauge balance is to hand the game off to the community and let them develop a metagame. Many times it will turn out that the tech is perfectly fine and can be allowed to exist. It might even help salvage otherwise underpowered characters - I mean come on, have you ever even heard anyone say that Peach is too good in this game? Let alone that slightly faster turnip plucks is the big gamebreaker that makes her so? We'll never know if it's good or bad if they just start axing everything the moment players discover them.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I mean come on, have you ever even heard anyone say that Peach is too good in this game?.
I feel like you kinda missed the point of my post, but to answer this...
Yes I have. From many people. Character Impressions thread frequently and people like dabuz on facebook.

THE GAME IS GETTING PATCHED, POTENTIALLY ON A REGULAR BASIS; they're going to see how things act out on the metagame and are also likely acting out on bugs found independent of us due to extended play testing.

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
THINK ABOUT IT
Glitches need to be removed. All of them. Even in fighting games, this is never a good thing. Technical skill is one thing, but silver lining bad programming is something else entirely. (*stares at GunZ*)

I agree with most of the stuff in this post. Alot of the things people complain about are just shortsightedness in the scope of a few moves that proved good enough to create an entire playstyle (1-frame shine). While i'm indeed someone who wishes the game had more technical skill to it GLITCHES are not something to be proud of in a competitive game. While they may take technical skill to execute, they stem from a different place. People can complain about melee all they want, but the amount of actual glitches abused in high level play was very, very low, if there were any at all. The game was fast, there was tons of freedom of input -- it didn't NEED any glitches, the game provided enough player control to have the physics of the game be sufficient enough to provide technical freedom.

DACUS is something that really baffles me, it's essentially a kara cancel, but i don't really understand why its possible to cancel dash attack state frames and not others, unless they planned for you to be able to execute attacks out of dashing anyway.

On the subject of removing glitches? The only reason glitches are so prevalent in smash bros now is because the system mechanics were nerfed so incredibly hard (hitstun, gravity, movement physics) that abusing glitches is one of the few ways players can break the mold anymore. Either way, I wholeheartedly disagree with building a character's meta off the strength of a non-intuitive glitch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom