• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Little Pony General

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents want to discuss the Apex trip in person during thx giving break, so for now I'm halting any real preparation

Heartstring

Smash Legend
aaand now i find out that two others are going. so uk makes four people, why is the smash scene so bad at being organised? XD

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
These tables require moar Ponies going.

Attending
AXE 09
Golden-Psycho
Philomena Lord
ph00tbag
Rainbow Mink
Slush

Maybe Attending
Doll666
Espy
john!
Leaf.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'll have much more freedom next year myself. Might be OoS a lot more on my own time around then.

Need to get situated with my job necessity, too.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Am I the only one that thinks it's weird that everyone's been doing nightmare night for years but didn't know who nightmare moon was when she showed up in ep one? The only 2 options is either a) it's bee several years since the first ep and they've been doing nightmare night once a year ever since or b) they were doing nightmare night before nightmare moon's return. I never got the impression that twi has been in ponyville for more than a year. It just seems like some odd inconsistency to me, unless this is everyone's first nightmare night.
Nightmare Moon before the 1000th Summer Sun Celebration was just an old mare's tale, remember. She was like a terrifying Santa Claus, regarded by ponies as a fun story, but certainly not real. No doubt young ponies on the cusp of adulthood, just beginning to exercise critical thinking, realized the "candy sacrifice" ritual was just a ploy that adult ponies used to justify getting some candy of their own.

When Nightmare Moon returned, this probably made her all the more terrifying and confusing to the ponies, as they didn't know anything about her intentions. Afterwards, most ponies probably didn't associate the presence of Luna during the end of the pilot with Nightmare Moon. The latter had been defeated, and I dunno, Luna helped or something I guess. That's frankly the business of the Royalty, and I'm going to go back to my work-a-day life after this.

So Luna's much more imposing appearance in this episode--somewhere between the frail pony of the pilot, and her formidable alter-ego, on the very eve when ponies are most apt to believe the stories of Nightmare Moon, probably explained the initial terror everyone expressed. Furthermore, the subtext of the episode implied that most of the ponies (e.g. Pinkie Pie) were aware that Luna was no monster, but played along in the spirit of the holiday.

This interpretation actually informs some other moments in the show. For instance, go back to the scene where Applejack helps Luna to loosen up. Applejack is cowering right up until Twilight tells her Luna would like to fit in. It's important that this confuses Applejack; she thinks Luna's playing the part of horrible spectre perfectly, and Applejack can't fathom that Luna is actually displeased by the role. But she switches gears immediately when she realizes Twilight is serious.

A lot of the scenes change context when you look at them through this lens.

Except Fluttershy. I can't explain that. I really don't see how any of the mane 6 can be scared of Luna, as they were there for her liberation from the clutches of Nightmare Moon.

Heartstring

Smash Legend

in other news: apex is going to be awesome, the only thing that it neds to increase amazingness is tekken 6, because its my best non smash fighter XD

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Guys, for the last time, linking directly to images on 4chan DOESN'T WORK.

And learn how to Triforce too.

Damn new****.

in other news: apex is going to be awesome, the only thing that it neds to increase amazingness is tekken 6, because its my best non smash fighter XD
Nice gif.

You play T6? We need to talk bro. I'm trying to get myself more familiar with Tekken since TTT2 is coming out next year.

john!

Smash Hero
nice theory, except that when nightmare moon appeared in the pilot, nobody knew who she was at all. i think this is just a discontinuity in the storyline that we're forced to accept.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
What?! Discontinuity in MLP:FiM?! Blasphemy! There is a logical explanation for this, damn it, and it WILL be found!!!!!!!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Nice gif.

You play T6? We need to talk bro. I'm trying to get myself more familiar with Tekken since TTT2 is coming out next year.
thanks, i have it bookmarked for an instant reply to text walls :B

and yeah, i like to paly it but im the only person in the uk smash scene who actually follows tournaments and stuff from it, theyre all bigger fans of street fighter, and i simply suck at it XD
you use anyone in particular? i'm a lili player but i enjoy dragSwagonuv ganryu and king, because

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
nice theory, except that when nightmare moon appeared in the pilot, nobody knew who she was at all. i think this is just a discontinuity in the storyline that we're forced to accept.
Beg your pardon, but they knew who Nightmare Moon was. Twilight was simply the only one to put two and two together. Once Twilight revealed who she was, notice that the other ponies all gasp in fright.

john!

Smash Hero
so they have a statue of a pony

and they know the statue pony's name

then statue pony shows up

and they can't think of the name

then twilight says it and they all freak out

wow, ponyville

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It wouldn't be the first time Ponyvilleans turned out not to have their heads screwed on nice and tight.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
They are the exact opposite of anthropomorphic, Slush.
Sentient, yes. Anthro? No sir.

Unless you want to play semantics, because if you do that, then they have SOME anthropomorphic qualities. Only some though.

@john: You're talking about a group of ponies who discriminated against a zebra for being a zebra. If you choose to believe that they failed to recognize Nightmare Moon, then this shouldn't be of any surprise to you.

:applejack:

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
@ leaf: I was never even in the same state.

I really want to go to APEX but I would need a miracle at this point in time to have the money and be able to pay for school next semester.

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
Except Fluttershy. I can't explain that. I really don't see how any of the mane 6 can be scared of Luna, as they were there for her liberation from the clutches of Nightmare Moon.
She's just a scaredy-cat is all, and the fact that it was Nightmare Night wasn't helping her.

You weren't locked in roller's basement for a week.
That doesn't sound too bad.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Silly animators, always putting sexual innuendo scenes in your cartoon.

Season 2 has had so much already, too.

I'm off to go write a flutterluna fanfic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom