• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My essay as to why I think clones are necessary for future Smash Bros. insallments...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
NOTE: I got permission from SamuraiPanda to post this topic. This topic also deals with the entire Smash Bros. series not just the original, as it is a celebration of the entire series turning ten years old.

To coincide with the tenth-year anniversary date for the release of the original Super Smash Bros. in Japan I have decided to create a new topic commemorating the release of the title that launched one of Nintendo’s most popular and acclaimed series, Super Smash Bros. There will be a new topic introduced each week in this thread celebrating ten years of Smash Bros. I hope to discuss both Smash Bros. history and the future of the series with this topic, as well as the community to share their experiences with the Smash Bros. and what the series has meant to him or her. I will edit the opening post each week with a new essay relating to Smash Bros. I hope you will enjoy this topic.

The topic I wish to discuss this week is the history of the roster to the Smash series, and the reasoning behind the decisions that were made for the roster to each Smash game.

Why I think clones are necessary for future Smash Bros. installments

Clones have been a staple in fighting games. Ken, one of the most popular characters in the Street Fighter series, started off as a clone of Ryu. However, I don’t feel like lecturing you all about the history of clones in fighting games, so I will just talk about the history of clones in the Super Smash Bros. series. The first Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64 only had one clone Luigi. Many people did not mind the presence of there being a clone since the character in question (Luigi) was quite popular.

However, in Melee, clones would get the scorn of the Smash Bros. fanbase. In this game, there were six clones and one Luigified clone. A Luigified clone refers to a character that shares most of the same specials, but either has some different A-moves or completely different A-moves. Luigi was the only Luigi-fied clone. The clones themselves consisted of Ganondorf, Falco, Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link. While some of these clones became popular (Ganondorf, Falco, and Roy), the other half was despised (though Doc earned a niche for himself due to him being tourney viable). Doc, Young Link, and Pichu were hated by many casual fans of Smash Bros. for being different versions of the same character (though upon retrospect Dr. Mario was a really wise choice, even though Sakurai put him in for the wrong reasons).

Many people cursed the inclusion of clones and felt that Sakurai only placed them since his team lacked the creative ingenuity to craft more movesets. However, as some of you may know, this was not the case. Originally, Sakurai was only planning on having 19 characters (20 including Sheik). However, once the team was done programming, they felt the roster was a bit too small, and realized they had enough time to either implement one more unique character or six model swaps (as they are referred to by Sakurai). Sakurai opted for the six model swaps, as he felt people would enjoy six new characters over one new one. I explain earlier in this topic why Sakurai selected the clones he did for Melee, so I am not going to repeat it. However, I will say that had it not been for clones, Falco probably would not have ever have gotten in Smash Bros. as a playable character (as that as of late both Wolf and Krystal are more popular, though Falco is saved due to him being one of the most used characters in both Melee and Brawl due to his high position on the tier list), and it is likely that Wolf would have been the only other character that Star Fox would have gotten in Brawl. The same goes for Roy and Doc (as well as Pichu and Young Link), however, those characters have less of a fanbase than Falco. I will elaborate on how clones actually dramatically increase the prospects of certain characters.

Prior to Brawl, many people were hoping for the abolition of clones, and at the very least hoping for a declined Ganondorf. However, in an earlier essay not in this topic (the essay I made regarding the fate of the Forbidden 7) I mentioned that Sakurai entered Brawl’s development with the same mindset that he had when making Melee, which was that clones are a good thing and help to boost up the roster. Sakurai was likely planning for Ganondorf, Falco, Roy, Dr. Mario, Toon Link, Lucas, Wolf (though there is a good chance that he was not on the originally planned Brawl roster), Plusle & Minun, Dixie Kong (though it has been said by Sakurai that she was simply going to tag-team with Diddy), Toon Zelda, and Toon Sheik to be clones.

However, somewhere along Brawl’s development Sakurai caught wind of the disdain his fans had for clones and cut many of the planned clones he had on his roster (Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, Plusle & Minun, Toon Zelda, and Toon Sheik). He then decided to make the clones he decided to keep in (Ganondorf, Falco, Toon Link, Lucas, and probably Roy) Luigified in some regard. (Later on Sakurai would swap Mewtwo and Roy’s place on the roster for Sonic and Wolf). Some “clones” such as Wolf and Lucas were only similar to their original counterparts for their specials and final smash, and had completely different A-moves and throws. However, some such as Ganondorf, Falco, and Toon Link, were only given a few different A-moves (especially in the case of Toon Link, who is the closest to a regular clone in Brawl).

However, despite there being more of an effort this time to make the clones more unique, many Smash Bros. fans still complained about them. Many people don’t realize that clones are actually a blessing. Clones help to boost up the roster (especially when development time is limited), increase the chances and allow for less likely characters to get in over more important ones (like how Dr. Mario was able to get in before Wario). A character such as Vaati would never be seriously considered (assuming he does not get any more games) for a newcomer list that only consisted of non-clone characters due to him not being important enough to warrant the development time needed to make a unique character. However, he would be one of the top contenders if Sakurai’s team went “clone crazy” as he would be an easy Zelda clone (really he would only need to have the magic changed to wind and dark magic, as well as have a new down-b and Final Smash).

Clones are especially important now more than ever. Sakurai’s struggled to get to 39 characters in Brawl, and since it is likely that Nintendo’s next console will have a sizable leap in graphical and technological prowess over the Wii (it should be about on par with the 360 or PS3), then Sakurai’s team will have an even more difficult time implementing a sizable increase for the roster. Assuming no characters from Brawl are cut, I can only see ten newcomers for this possible situation. However, many people make up the Smash Bros. fanbase would be hungry for more characters, and I would “rage” to find out that Smash 4 only have 10 new characters.

That is where clones come in. Making five clones takes the effort of making one character (or at least that was what Sakurai implied back with Melee). Putting in five clones would boost the roster up to 50. However, I can see many people objecting to this. However, I think one of the main reasons people object to clones, if that in Melee, some of them (in their eyes) were poor choices. If I were to select 5 clones for Smash Bros. 4, I would try to select characters that were popularly requested and important to their respective series. I am hoping this list will show you the potential that clones could offer in Smash Bros. 4, and how their inclusion would probably help boost the prospects for a lot of your favorite characters.

Here is a list I compiled for characters that I might select if I was told to place in five clone newcomers (as a result of not having enough time place in five unique characters):

*Note: Yes, I realize that a lot of these clone characters have the potential to be unique characters with unique movesets, however, I am simply listing characters that would also make good clones to select. I don’t have a reasoning for every character on this list, however, I can say that most of them are important to a degree within their respective series. Also, I would not clones that are third-party characters, as I feel there should only be one character per third-party series.

Mario:
Bowser Jr. (Bowser clone)

Donkey Kong:
Dixie Kong (Diddy clone)
Funky Kong (Donkey Kong clone)

The Legend of Zelda:
Vaati (Zelda clone)
Tetra (Sheik clone)

Metroid:
Dark Samus (Samus clone)

Star Fox: (though I don’t think the series needs a fourth character)
Leon (Falco or Wolf clone) (though its already redundant)

Pokemon:
Pichu (Pikachu clone)

Mother: (though I don’t think the series needs as many characters as it has games)
Kumatora (Lucas clone)
Masked Boy (Lucas clone)
Paula (Ness clone)
Poo (Ness clone)

F-Zero:
Black Shadow (Captain Falcon clone)
Pico (Snake clone, though he is not that important)

Fire Emblem:
Roy (Marth clone)
Sigurd (Marth or Ike clone)
Celice (Marth clone)

Dr. Mario:
Dr. Mario (Mario clone)

Golden Sun:
Isaac (Zelda clone) (yes, surprisingly, Isaac could be pulled off as a Zelda clone assuming he was given a different down-b and final smash)

Mach Rider:
Mach Rider (Captain Falcon clone)

A lot of the characters in the above list are quite popular, and I am sure many people would rather have their beloved character in as a clone as opposed to not in at all. The likelihood of clones being used, also dramatically increases these characters’ chances of being in. I think if the clones that were chosen were of popular or important characters and if it was explained that there was simply not enough time to flesh them out into unique characters, then I think most Smash Bros. fans would understand. I am hoping that this essay has helped to convince you that clones are not something to be admonished, but are something that may be utterly necessary in order to boost the newcomer count for Smash Bros. 4 and also help make characters, who otherwise would not get in, a shot of being placed in the game’s roster.

The whole point of Smash Bros. is represent Nintendo’s history all the while playing as your favorite character. If the clones in question fulfill both of these obligations, then why object to them? One more character is simply one more character, and if the clones help to represent an aspect of that series (or even an unrepresented series) then they definitely have a place in Smash Bros. If Sakurai, or anyone else were to direct Smash Bros. 4, I am hoping their team would have time to implement all the characters on the planned roster, however, if he doesn't have the time, I am hoping that some of the clone selections will make up for it, and that fans enjoy these characters as much as the original additions he had planned.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I never read of it, I never heard of it.

But... I got it. I had saved some pocket money for a new game, because I wanted something different for my N64 back then. Nearly daily I checked my local electronics store for new stuff, and suddenly, it was there, Super Smash Bros. I knew all characters displayed on the boxart, so I was surprised to see Mario alongside of Fox and Pikachu. I checked it out, loved the idea, and bought it.

I started out with Mario, played Single Player, and of course, failed horribly, because it was so different to the fighters I played until then. I played it with my friends from the neighbourhood, and I was the only one knowing that Samus was female and who Ness was... God, I felt so nerdy.

But I grew attached to the game, learned to love it.

Aiko

Smash Champion
I read about it loads in magazines and loved the idea of it from the start. It came out in UK just before xmas so I got to play it on my friends N64.

I asked for it for christmas but was told it was very hard to get hold of (which was true) and that my parents couldnt find a copy for xmas. Secretly, they had actually bought it and gave it to me as the last present on christmas day.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Ugggh font.

I just bought the game because I saw Mario and link and I was like ´DAAAAMN´

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ugggh font.

I just bought the game because I saw Mario and link and I was like ´DAAAAMN´
Which kind of font do you suggest for me to change it to?

Edit: This is the normal font, albeit, only with a much larger size for easier reading.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
I was, unfortunately, about 12 or 13 when we heard about that game. We got it a bit late (that being me and my older brother). My reaction to characters was:

Mario: hay luk its meryo
Link: Isn't his name Zelda?
Samus/Fox/Kirby/Ness/Captain Falcon: Who?
Luigi: =O <33333333 *mains*
Pikachu: (before unlocking Luigi) Finally, someone I know that doesn't have anything to do with Mario.
Jiggypuff: What... the... heck?
Yoshi: It can fight?
DK: Ok, DK's in but... no one else? ;_;

I was a COMPLETE nooblet back then. I only used smashes and some specials. I won matches occasionally. This habit carried over to Melee in its earlier days.

I'll type more once I fid batteries for my keyboard. >.<

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I never really remember ever buying smash bros for n64, I just remember always having it. It's weird when I think about it, because I seriously can't remember how I got it. I know though I wanted it because of the commercials.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I never really remember ever buying smash bros for n64, I just remember always having it. It's weird when I think about it, because I seriously can't remember how I got it. I know though I wanted it because of the commercials.
The commercial for the original Smash Bros. was hilarious (Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, and Yoshi skipping through a field of flowers only to starting beating each other up a few seconds later).

Marine Snow

Smash Rookie
I heard about the original in Gamepro back when it was worth subscribing to and tried to rent it, but didn't find any copies. Eventually, I was like "nuts to Blockbuster" and bought the game. Despite it being horribly limited, I played it for countless hours.

Due to the fact I grew up with a Genesis, I have never heard of Samus, Captain Falcon, or Ness and only had a vague idea who Link was.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
The commercial for the original Smash Bros. was hilarious (Mario, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, and Yoshi skipping through a field of flowers only to starting beating each other up a few seconds later).
lol yea, with "Happy Together" played in the background. I'm gonna go find that video

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Got melee in 2002, but I never got competative. I was addicted to it untill 2003 or so. When brawl came out I discovered this site and knew of the competative scene of SSB. epic

:088:

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I saw the commercial probably the weekend directly after its release and had to have it. I think is was 4th grade for me... I played it non-stop for the entire weekend and when I went to school during the week all my friends had done the same thing as me.

We talked about how to unlock characters and stuff and I was the only person who knew who Ness was... which made me happy.

That weekend we got together to play and it was so fun, but I kept being called cheep because of the character I was using... Jigglypuff, Sing to DownB was apparently cheating. And so was Kirby's brick attack. I was the only one out of them who actually stuck with the series though.

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
I was over at my friends house when i first heard and played super smash brothers 64... when i saw it i was like omg i have got to get this game... so i made my parents rent it for me everytime until they decided that it would just save them money to buy it.. and ever since then i have been hooked... smash is like my drug.. im hooked and addicted and nothin is gonna get me to stop smashin... :D

justaway12

Smash Master
I was in a shop I saw mario and bowser then peach so I wanted to buy it then I saw other characters since wasn't in england alot i didn't know any other caracters i only played super mario bros. 1 ALOT in yemen but i wanted to play as the other characters as well, it was alright but i really but i though it was mario saving peach.

:034:

Smash Hero
Ah, good times, good times. I remember first meeting Smash at a friend's house and thought it was really amazing. I was... 7 or 8 at the time, and after playing it at my friend's I immediately wanted it too. I don't actually remember when or how I got it (in fact, I don't remember a lot of things), but I remember going for Samus straight away. The 'cool robot' after all. *sniff*

Anyway, I got the gist of it fairly quickly, but I seemingly never quite got smash attacks right. I would always call Samus' usmash "that fire attack" but I didn't know how to do it. XD

My cousin and I once spent 2-3 hours playing a 99-stock game against 2 lvl 9 CPU Ness'. Him as Link and me as Samus. We figured Ness was the strongest since he was the hardest to unlock.

Yep, good times, good times.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I read about Smash 64 in Nintendo Power, did a double take, and re-read that article about 50 times. I remember the article made Pikachu sound like the best character so it was the first one I tried using I think, but that didn't end too well. I basically only used special moves and throws and was pretty awful in general, but I eventually found my way to Ness after some hardcore practice with steering Pk Thunder. I basically just played with one friend who used Samus, and it was funny how we realized that at least certain items needed to be turned off and about how we needed to shield if we wanted to not die and about how we need to use our full movesets and about how Yoshi's stage was just not playable. Even as we got better, I remember that the biggest defining moments of our gameplay were him complaining about how unfair Pk Thunder juggling was and the mindgaming around PSI Magnet vs Charge Shot.

I'm not going to go through my whole smash story, but here's the best evidence that we were still super bad when melee came out. I remember being upset that Samus's new special move was so awesome while Ness's was so lame; none of the other changes seemed important to me. Then mindgaming around Charge Shot got so much harder because you can't absorb a Super Missile... Luckily we got more people playing with us, and we very slowly uncovered how to play the game seriously and not suck. It's been fun; smash bros basically became the centerpiece of every time my friends and I got together. It's almost sad that these days I'm a lot better than them...

Patinator

Smash Champion
I found out about smash after a friend of mine brought over Melee. We were pretty fail at it, if you'll pardon my grammar. I think the main reason I never discovered Smash 64 was because I didn't really know what a "franchise" was during the time of its sale.

Eventually I found out about SmashWiki, which led to an epic guide by XiF, who I believe is a moderator here. From there, I found this place, which occurred after I found out about Brawl; that was from a Nintendo Power magazine, I believe...

lol I'm the first one to post here from the group, Chrono.

:059:

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Well, I got into smash because i'm into fighting games, and it has all my favourite nintendo characters, I was fascinated by the fact I could play Donkey Kong and kick the snot out of Jigglypuff. I didn't play SSB64, but I heard it was z-amazing, so I was on my seat waiting for melee to arrive since it was announced.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
When I looked at the box cover of Smash Bros, when I saw Kirby was on the box, I automaticly fell in love with the game. And to add a plus, the creater of Kirby made the game which made me twice as happy to play this game sieries.

Ange

Smash Lord
I saw a game called Super Smash Bros. Melee once and wanted it right away cause it was an unique fighter game with NINTENDO CHARACTERS?!?
But I only knew like... half the cast by that time.
Honestly I dont remember how I heard of Melee the first time.

I never heard about SSB64 until I saw it once on a store, but I thought it was just the same as Melee but on the N64 (which is techically is), so I desided I didnt want it.

I remember me and my sister had countless of Pokeball-only matches with items set on high with level 4-5 CPUs (So they wouldnt fight so much, as the point was to own everyone with Pokemon). Dayum that was so fun. :bee: TRIPPLE LEGENDARIES. 70% of the time we got so many Pokemon onscreen the game lagged.

Tho that was mostly just for fun, we did fighting ashwell and all that other stuff.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
My cousin had super smash bros melee, and when i was at his place we spent hours on it. So i bought it:D
I knew about the smash scene a little about a year before brawl was announced, but i never made an account lol. I watched the Advanced how to play melee video's, and that really helped me get better and showed me smashboards. Now i know a lot more of course.

Oh and i was also like:
Mario peach and bowser: Thats cool lol.
Link: Yeah thats zelda
Zelda: But who's that then?
Samus: Samus is the best guy in melee.
Pikachu: Omgpokemonlol

And i never knew how to play sheik lol. I saw her picture in the booklet but never knew hot to "unlock" her...:D

nightSN

Smash Ace
omg i remember the commercial! : D where pikachu mario yoshi and DK were walking down a field in a costume and then they started just fighting each other out of no where! LOL : D i loved it.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Which kind of font do you suggest for me to change it to?

Edit: This is the normal font, albeit, only with a much larger size for easier reading.
It's not easier, it completely throws off the black to white ratio (IE Too much white clustered) and is a pain to my eyes.

Frown

poekmon
I played the game at a friend's house back in 2000. I thought it was a fake game when I saw the cartridge. Samus and Mario AND Pikachu?

I picked it up again in 2007, when a guy brought it to school. Every lunch break, eight guys sat down in the basement and played instead of eating. It was that much fun.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I've told this story before, but it's a good one worth retelling. Plus, it's pretty funny. See, way back when, in middle school, 6-7 grade or so, I went to a sleep-over birthday party at one of my friends' house. He had rented Smash from like Blockbuster or something. I still have no idea how he heard of it, but I had no idea what it was. We played it practically all night. When it was my first turn to play, I asked them who was good. I was a big Zelda fan, but they said Link was terrible. Instead, they steered me towards Captain Falcon. They explained the controls to me, and told me to just press B; it was a really strong, good move. Long story short, I spent my first match Falcon Punching my heart away. Let it suffice to say, I was hooked, and bought the game with Christmas money pronto.

Melee was given to me along with my GameCube, and I was a big fan, though a lot of my old friends lost interest. High school brought me new friends around this time, though, and they were into it. And I found more at college, with whom I spent the months of the countdown and hype in a Melee revival, after some time off for Soul Calibur. Good times.

Zylar

Smash Ace
I never owned the game, but I played it at my school's fundraisers.

Always beat everyone with pika. They were so easy, even the older graders.

Shortly later, I saw a couple of guys playing Meele. It had Mewtwo. I was like =0, must have NAO!!!
And i didn't get THAT until I earned the money.

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
I love that commercial! I got bored on Youtube and watched it again lately just for kicks!

I never had an N64; at Christmas time my whole family would go to my great aunt and uncle's house. Their kids (my cousins) had a LOT of systems, one being the N64. I remember playing that game and always getting my @$$ handed to me because I was like 7 when I first tried playing it, and I had no honest to God clue of what I was doing. I just wanted to play Pikachu afterall (this was when Pokémon was still epic), and Fox was cool-looking even though I had no clue who he was lol. Like a year or two before the Wii (Revolution then) became promtoed and advertised and hyped up, I got a GameCube and got Melee. Instantly fell in love with it, then I got Brawl and a Wii, and the rest is history...

Hey Chrono, I'm second from the group (behind Patinator)!

thechunkylover

Smash Apprentice
I played it at my cousins house a long time ago, must of been 1999 about. I was quite young, maybe 6 or 7 about. I had never played an N64 before, but was used to the gameboy, and playstation controller. When my cousin handed me the controller I refused to use the analog stick, as I was used to d-pad. I'm not sure who I first used but I know I promptly got my *** kicked because the character I was using couldn't move.

A few months later another cousin had gotten an N64 with SSB for Christmas. I saw this cousin more often so I constantly played the game with him. I started using the analog stick so I could actually play the game. I remember using Samus until my cousin unlocked Captain Falcon which was when I started using him. I remember using, but not knowing, certain characters in it. I had no clue who Falcon, Samus, Fox, Kirby, Yoshi, DK, Link, Ness actually were.
I remember seeing one of my cousins play a Kirby game for the gameboy withhim saying "It's the guy from Super Smash Bros."

I got my own N64 in Christmas 2000 specifically for Super Smash Bros.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
It had Mewtwo. I was like <=0, must have NAO!!!
/QUOTE]

I thought that smiley was something else... must me my sick mind. Anyways, Mewtwo had a really big part in me getting melee too. He was like a combination on Dragonball Z and Pokemon (both shows were popular at the time I think, I can't remember). It was perfect. I sucked with him though and just ended up playing multiple characters

Top Bottom