• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Comeback, thoughts, and analysis of Samus and the Metagame

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Ahhh, HugS' is in the best place in the world for Melee to get back on form. Plus, it means frequent vids of him with Waffles commentary, which is always a good thing.

Talvi

Smash Journeyman
Hugs you are so beautiful. Such an inspiration for Samus (or any character actually) players.

brg

Smash Ace
Hey hugs I watched your matches vs lucky and mango and I was wondering why you dont use the ub-b more? As an ex samus main, and now falco main, it kinda puzzled me: probably less than half the time you were shield pressured you up-b'ed. the other times you wd oos, but to no great result.
Is it cause the timing of these guys is so tight they WILL shine you? Or youre working on different defensive tactics?

In any case you still did very well, i used to watch your matches back then, before brawl, so its a pleasure to see you playing again.

Tyserification

Smash Lord
His lack of UpB was because both of those players have incredible spacing and he would have missed the UpB and got owned.

Lucky just kept light shielding right next to HugS and UpB doesnt work on light shield (as far as I know).

Then Mango speaks for himself. That guy has the most absurd spacing with Falco. He'll hit you with aerials but space them so much so that he wont get punished. Again, he's Mango, he doesnt get UpB'd :p

If Im wrong, sorry. That's just how I saw it.

brg

Smash Ace
His lack of UpB was because both of those players have incredible spacing and he would have missed the UpB and got owned.

Lucky just kept light shielding right next to HugS and UpB doesnt work on light shield (as far as I know).

Then Mango speaks for himself. That guy has the most absurd spacing with Falco. He'll hit you with aerials but space them so much so that he wont get punished. Again, he's Mango, he doesnt get UpB'd :p

If Im wrong, sorry. That's just how I saw it.
thats a good guess, I guess

that means my spacing with falco sucks though lol

HugS™

Smash Lord
Tyser was right about everything.

Lucky was trying to bait upB's the whole match.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Hugs you need to INTERCEPT!

EDIT: Oh random thought on the 5th match of you vs lucky, at 1:22 wes would of grabbed.

Pi

Smash Hero
My friend who plays falco eat's UB's all day
It actually has got me to UB less because I feel like it's too easy
I hate it
I need to juss spam it every time I know it will hit ffs
I keep trying other **** and getting hit
T.T

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
your friend needs to get better at not eating those upbs then

i would say just up-b when you absolutely have to (which is probably a lot) and then try whatever else you can in every other situation

at least
that's what i would do

Pi

Smash Hero
He very very rarely beats me
So I never feel like I really have to
So I think that's partially the reason for me not doing it as much
But then in matches where I should be doing it
I don't because I'm not in that habit
So I think I really juss need to be more conscious of having it T.T

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
yeah you need to seriously sit him down and tell him his mistakes
scold him for anything that he shoudn't be doing
obviously if you get him better, you'll get better too

i would recommend up-b'ing anyways so that he learns not to get punished by it, also just to keep you in the habit of doing it, if you really do have problems doing it when you have to (tournaments)

if he's not a serious smasher then i guess ignore everything i just said and just get off lol

Tyserification

Smash Lord
My friend used to always get hit by UpB. Not so much anymore though -_- Its quite annoying.

As for your friend and UpB. Abuse UpB against him for poor spacing. Dont be merciful. If he wants to get better, he will hopefully switch up his game and think more. Also, give him advice when/if he asks for it but only when he asks for it. It'll show that he wants to become a better player.

Pi

Smash Hero
Yea, I will, it also might be me trying for better punishes (WD out -> stuff)
But I'll start spamming it because I play against a samus who really uses it efficiently and I feel like it's something I should work.

JELLYHEAD

Smash Cadet
YaaaaY HugS is back!!

When you cancel the reflected missile with a dash attack, you are immediately free to do what you'd like, and when fox/falco reflect a missile, they are in reflection stun. They cannot shield, sidestep, or even jump cancel their shine. You are completely free to dsmash/dtilt/ftilt/and fsmash.
Hey HugS its GREAT that you've finally returned and all of the new sets of you that I've seen on the tube so far are epic; you're definately the best Samus going around - do us a favour and take the win at Pound 4 all you have to do is beat m2k, mango and armada, cant be too hard right?

Anyways about the reflector punish, usually when you get the opportunity to do this its because you were chasing a missile and then they reflected it, when in this situation I prefer to jump over the missile into a Dair this is because it has combo opportunities for literally any aerial attack including Samus' specials, regardless of their direction of DI the stuntime associated with Dair is high enough to allow basically whatever follow-up the Samus chooses which makes it a great punish if you have your cannon charged, on lower damage this can even lead into an early Utilt gimp, the only thing to watch out for is platforms above which they may be able to tech onto in which case one can easily still hit them with the cannon or Uair, Fair, Nair... whatever you all get the point.
I prefer to use your approach for a punish if the opponent is on a fresh stock since the Dair doesn't launch them on super low damage.

I'll also definitely be looking into that shield dashing stuff, it sounds really useful :p

PS: Please people don't take my lack of posts to mean I'm a n00b and need to be ignored; I've had Melee since its release date nearly 10 years ago and been maining Samus the whole time, whilst I read threads and watch vids I just generally don't post a lot in here because whatever I would say has already been said by someone else.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
HugS, it seems like your playstyle is very...grab vulnerable. Is it just me or does like nobody in California grab you. It may be that you react with Up-B or WD back to something, but i just don't see people going for grabs that often against you.

He spaces himself so that he can't grabbed easily.

I'm also betting he can react to grabs by up-B'ing or wding back.

A lot of characters also have no incentive to grab a Samus. I mean, what's Fox going to do with a grab? Only Sheik has a real reason to grab.

Pi

Smash Hero
He's juss doing what they allow him to do I'm sure
If they started grabbing him he could juss UB or spot dodge to counter it
But honestly this happens a lot with samus
Once people get UB'd OoS a few times they are real hesitant to approach, or juss stubborn to get that hit in so they seem to forget about grabbing, which is fine by me.

I shield all day till they pick up on it and start grabbing, then I juss look for patterns in their grab game and try to UB it.

.45ACP

Smash Rookie
I did the dash attack reflected missile trick, and the Falco I play against now just shoots a lazor before he reflects it, and then I get hit by the laser which stops my dash attack and then I get missiled :(

Pi

Smash Hero
I did the dash attack reflected missile trick, and the Falco I play against now just shoots a lazor before he reflects it, and then I get hit by the laser which stops my dash attack and then I get missiled :(
So now all you need to do is PS the laser, then PS the missile
>=)

Mars-

Smash Champion
Wow it sounds like you failed that is too bad but maybe next time you should try to dair instead ohh and maybe add some periods in your sentences you know to make it easier to read but that is up to you I mean if you really like typing like this it's not my decision but it is kinda annoying to read.

Top Bottom