• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Comeback, thoughts, and analysis of Samus and the Metagame

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
I wouldn't ban FD against Marth. You don't have to wait for the Marth to mess up, even though thats an option you can decide to take. You have to play against Marth aggressive, safe, and definitely mad tricky. Grabs work real good in the matchup.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
HugS, I don't know if this may help, but since this is (was) the only top player Samus in the world besides you (and, well, maybe Wes in middle age) you may find something useful here, I don't know.
Oh, and absolutely no offense to other mad good players like IHSB, DarkMike, etc of course =).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Qn5DvMcNM

Obviously Tani is not M2k and this was 2007.

Watty

Smash Lord
Hugs my experiences with marth is that the matchup is 65-35 marth. I disagree that being inside is the way to go and u cant camp, it either. Marth can pretty much do every style better than samus, a great marth can beat you any way.

I also enjoy the matchup because there are things that samus can take advantage of. Low percents CC moves is key IMO its easy damage and messes with there mindset, its alot of hit and run, get in get out with tilts, pretty much picking ur spots.

Grabs to me in this matchup can be huge, alot of marths sit in there shields thinking we acnt do anything, you have the dash grab just a stand and JC all should be utilized so its more difficult to side step.

pretty much what ive learned is to win the match you have to exploit things they do, shielding to much overly aggressive, and when they adjust u have to adjust just as quickly. I know this is obvious stuff for ya buddy but ya that to me is how it works. You learn there habits and out smart em because character wise marth owns samus

Geist

Smash Master
Aniki doesn't wavedash.

I disagree with the general idea of "don't camp marth". Actually the marths I play with continuously tip me off that missiles are stressing to deal with. Missiles done correctly really help, even if it doesn't look like it's doing anything.
Because that's where they get you.

Pi

Smash Hero
When I said wait for the marth to mess up
I don't mean camp his *** till he dash attacks your shield
I mean the only guaranteed hits you're going to get is if the marth messes up because marth can outspace samus 100%. None of your moves are better than his unless he uses his first.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Hugs also lost to my Marth in tournament. :)

Seriously, Marth vs Samus is a stupid matchup. Just spam sword in her face and she gets shut down.

Regarding missiles... Missiles are useless and do not apply any pressure to a good Marth due to him having a huge ***sword.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
I think every aspect of marth is pretty much a counter to Samus.
His fair can easily make him approach samus and combo her.

Watty

Smash Lord
missiles help a bit but u cant rely on them to win a match. they arent instant kill.

Geist

Smash Master
Hugs also lost to my Marth in tournament. :)

Seriously, Marth vs Samus is a stupid matchup. Just spam sword in her face and she gets shut down.

Regarding missiles... Missiles are useless and do not apply any pressure to a good Marth due to him having a huge ***sword.
I don't play super high level though... :[

Generally I use missiles as a distraction. I guess that wouldn't work with the top level players lmao.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
If only missiles were like jpuff's rest. Massive invincibility frames for Samus and huge damage and knockback. She would still get countered by Marth.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
If only missiles were like real missiles, I'd blow everyone up and the explosion would take up the whole screen.

GreatFox64

Smash Journeyman
the only hope samus has against marth is punishing him. this implies that a marth NEEDS to mess up, or else samus is screwed. her only hope is a charged shot, but a consistent marth won't let even the best samus charge. the only solution is to momentarily charge your shot between attacks/approaches until you fully charge it.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Only chance Samus has against Marth is to take that Marth user out for 2 dollar drinks am I right Cactuar :laugh: Then Samus player still loses good times though

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
the only hope samus has against marth is punishing him. this implies that a marth NEEDS to mess up, or else samus is screwed. her only hope is a charged shot, but a consistent marth won't let even the best samus charge. the only solution is to momentarily charge your shot between attacks/approaches until you fully charge it.

I completely agree with this statement.

There are 2 different kinds of Marths I've played:

-Those that like to Grab/ Foward Smash/ Dash Attack

-Those that like to spam Aerials/ Tilts

The former is what makes Samus players like myself smile, as you can bait them out to do the laggy F-Smash or Up+B their persistent grab attempts. This is what I'd refer to as 2001-2006 era Marth.

Note: Now of course a good Marth won't spam F-Smash blatantly and knows how to use their aerials/tilts as well, but even good Marths can't help but be tempted when their spaced perfectly for a Tipper. Basically, you can pretty much sense when a Marth is in range for a forward smash and counter accordingly.

The latter is what made me realize that the match is probably the Samus' most technically "impossible" matchup. That is, if you had 2 frame perfect AI players using Samus and Marth, Marth would always win.

Why? Because Marth's tilts and aerials destroy every aspect of Samus' playstyle. To defeat Marth you have to get into the mind of the player, not trying to probe for technical advantages too much.

None of your tilts or aerials are safe against Marth are safe, NONE- even when perfectly spaced. So you have to either prey on their ignorance if they don't know this, or pray for openings in their defense if they do. (Heck, even Charge Shot can be beaten by a clean Forward Smash. =/ )

And once you get in past mid range, you're now in grab range, another hurdle. Smart Marths will only dash JC grab, because they know full well that Samus can't wait to Screw Attack if they're both shielding and stationary. In M2K vs HugS, you'll notice how M2K did retreating Fairs away from any pressure situation, and Samus simply doesn't have an answer to that.

Against these tilt happy semi-defensive Marths, I've caught on to a few things:

-They have the timing for destroying Power Missiles down pat. Power Missiles may be a decent distraction to setup for things, but it won't really stop a Marth from closing in. The lag experienced from a Missile and a clashing Fair is negligible, so you can't rely on that collision delay to do much if they're SHFFLin' like mad.

What does work are un-charged or semi-charged shots, and random homing missiles. Marth players simply don't have the timing for these down and they often stumble trying to deal with them. Un-charged shots are wonderful because the hitboxes are deceptively small and will often go through their tilt attempts or scare them to shield. Even better, semi-charged shots add a little stun and they will often DI it poorly, allowing you to set up on them with a grapple or whatever.

Homing missiles do the same thing, and although can be easily destroyed, when used in tandem with charge shot can often distract Marths enough to force errors. They obviously work well in edgeguarding too.

-If a Marth is above you descending Uairs are a nice tool deal with their advance, and it can set up combos or grabs. The worst that can happen is you getting Dair'd, which you couldn't really stop anyway.

-Like DJ Nintendo said situational grapples, though highly risky depending on %, are pretty much necessary if you want to get some kind of damage on a Marth. What makes the match tolerable is the fact that Marth can be pretty much comboed or chased fairly easily by Samus, especially from a grab. I find mixing it up between JC Standing Grapples and Dash Grapples useful in throwing off their timing.

-Retreat! Knowing when to retreat is important, because Marth can turn the pressure back on you in a flash, all he needs is one Fair and you're now his play toy. Sometimes I like to get greedy if I get a weak Nair hit and try to follow it up with 2 or 3 more. But if a Marth is DIing properly he can easily do a mid-combo Fair and turn the tables back on you. (most likely you'll be DIing towards him to follow up, which gives him an easy combo opportunity as well)

I notice when you act really aggressive and back off, Marth players get frustrated and start chasing you down... which leads them to do risky stuff that you can take advantage of. So if I get a dash attack, and I follow it up with say, an Uair, instead of trying to double jump and chase them again- possibly getting Fair'd in the face, I fast-fall or waveland back and throw out a missile. Marth will either do a defensive Fair/Counter or Double jump, which you can intercept with a Charge Shot or w/e.

Following up aggressively is obviously essential in some cases to get a kill, but forcing it can backfire badly.

GreatFox64

Smash Journeyman
yup, marth pretty much covers all of samus's approach. it pretty much causes samus players to rely on baiting, punishment, and mind-games.

one cool thing samus has against marth is a bomb-attack cancel. let's say you're descending towards a marth that's ready to up-air or up-tilt you. if you time it right, you can jump off of his attack by planting a bomb.
some pretty advanced type of approach i've been thinking of is missile cancelling 2-3 missiles, then timing a SWD so that you arrive at marth right after he attacks a missile, then following it up with an up-b (if on ground or air) or down-tilt lead by follow up aeirials (if he stayed on the ground).
it'd be hard to pull off and would probably work best on FD.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Shoutout to knihT and his Purple Drank Samus, it's hella legit! Making me realize the power of a perfectly spaced Bair! IHSB would be proud. Great games man.

When I get the game I'm going to go to the lab and practice those techs.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I rep the Varia Suit.

But only because the black recolor is not the Phazon Suit.

Alukard

Smash Hero
WHOA WHOA WHOA ... its all about that ninja turtle samus ... right space nutz ^_^

Pi

Smash Hero
Shoutout to knihT and his Purple Drank Samus, it's hella legit! Making me realize the power of a perfectly spaced Bair! IHSB would be proud. Great games man.

When I get the game I'm going to go to the lab and practice those techs.
Very fun games, I'll catch you next time I'm down in sfl

Also I got a chance to play version 1,
I want version 1 now.
Lol.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm not sure why they felt that Bowser's Flame Cancel was ugly programming but Fox/Falco's autocancel laser looked adorably clean.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Canceling the ending animation looks a bit more natural than canceling the starting animation.
By which I mean that a tiny laser gun suddenly disappearing is less jarring than a huge flame suddenly appearing.

Top Bottom