• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

finalark

SNORLAX
So, just saw the Karate Kid remake and was presently surprised.

I think the film's biggest weakness was the part with the girlfriend, all of her scenes felt forced and you can't help but feel she was only thrown in because in the original movie there was a girlfriend. I really would have preferred if the film was entirely focused on the relationship between Smith and Chan's characters.

I still really liked it, though.

soap

Smash Hero
the girl was kinda horrible. But that kind of akwardness would prolly actually happen when you don't speak the same language hardly at all

I thought Jackie Chan's backstory was the worst

Olikus

Smash Champion
Have been watching allot of Hayao Miyazaki lately. His movies are so great. I still need to see My Neighbor Totoro.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
@the karate kid I thought Chan was fantastic.

I wish the movie was more of its own. It should have been treated as a revamp or sequel rather than a remake.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I really enjoyed Spirit away and Howls Moving Castle. But so far I do think my favourite Hayao Miyazaki movie is Princess Mononoke. But as said need to watch Totoro =D

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Bored with Netflix tonight, so I decided to watch the movie Dreamcatcher. Going in with an open mind, completely oblivious to what the movie was even about, I was enjoying it. That is until it got weird beyond belief and seemed to turn in a complete 180 degree movement and sprint in a whole new direction about a quarter into the movie. It was really like they mixed 2 or 3 different movie settings and genres into one movie. I can't really explain it without spoiling it, but wow it got weird quickly.

I... think I enjoyed it. Really it is hard to tell, there was a lot of confusion throughout the whole beginning, a lot of confusion about what some of the character's roles were in the movie, and a lot of confusion about why some of the main characters just.. died for no reason, but then again, that is usually what goes down in a Stephen King movie.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
So, seeing as though the next year and three quarters have so many highly anticipated movies, whats everyone excited to see?

Gatlin

Conclusion to Harry Potter
Fast and Furious 5
Hangover 2
Sherlock Holmes 2
Bourne 4
Crank 3
District 10
Terminator 5
Wanted 2

Olikus

Smash Champion
So if you had to choose what would be your favourite movie decade? With that I mean the decade so far that you felt has most of your favourite movies. Which one would it be?

Mine would be the 70's.

Godfather part 1 and 2, The Deer Hunther, Apocalypse Now, One flew over the Cuckoo's nest, A clockwork Orange and ofc the masterpiece Taxi Driver to name a few.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
^ohemgee, tru dat!

@Olikus
Honestly, honoring any particular decade as #1 would feel wrong. I walk over to my collection and cannot find any major association in time among my favorites.

I can say however that the last ten years have at least been good to me.

Peeze

Smash Master
Saw "The Tourist" the other day.
What a crap fest.
Also saw "The Next Three Day's" with Russell Crowe.
Totally underrated.
I love RedBox

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
^ohemgee, tru dat!

@Olikus
Honestly, honoring any particular decade as #1 would feel wrong. I walk over to my collection and cannot find any major association in time among my favorites.

I can say however that the last ten years have at least been good to me.
Agreed on both counts. It really bugs me when people say that they don't make good movies anymore. Soooooo many amazing films in the 2000s.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Yeah 2000 has produced allot of good movies. I meant it more like which decade i felt had most of my favourite movies in it, rather than other decades dont have good movies. But ofc its hard to chose a decade, and my favourite movie is probably from the 2000s.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
So I got Black Swan today and watched it.
I loved it. I felt really bad for Nina with all the pressure she faced and her mom treating/trying to 'preserve' her like a child. By the end of the movie I was starting to question what all events in the movie actually happened in her head vs. real life. Anyways, I enjoyed it heavily. :)

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Saw Sucker Punch last weekend. I haven't been so bored watching a movie in a long time. Seriously, how can a movie with undead steampunk Nazis, gunfights with dragons, and scantily clad women wielding machine guns be so uninteresting?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Insidious was a dissapointment okay.

The first half is pretty good. It freaks the audience out in almost brutally nonchalant ways that I haven't seen much of before. The mixture of what appears to be multiple entities terrorizing the family also adds new layers of unpredictability.

To suspend our disbelief walking into a horror film is a given, but the second half started to fall apart when they enforced a resolution to the conflict that just got too surreal for me to stay attatched.

Also, there was the occasional shot that simply seemed low budget. I can't really explain it any more, you can just tell that the Paranormal people had their miserly fingers in the pie.

Also, Rose Byrne is gorgeous

camerino1

Smash Lord
Sucker Punch had an identity crisis, I'm telling you. It had no idea as to what it wanted to be and told it to your face. It was something about a girl and a labotamy

camerino1

Smash Lord
Bored with Netflix tonight, so I decided to watch the movie Dreamcatcher. Going in with an open mind, completely oblivious to what the movie was even about, I was enjoying it. That is until it got weird beyond belief and seemed to turn in a complete 180 degree movement and sprint in a whole new direction about a quarter into the movie. It was really like they mixed 2 or 3 different movie settings and genres into one movie. I can't really explain it without spoiling it, but wow it got weird quickly.

I... think I enjoyed it. Really it is hard to tell, there was a lot of confusion throughout the whole beginning, a lot of confusion about what some of the character's roles were in the movie, and a lot of confusion about why some of the main characters just.. died for no reason, but then again, that is usually what goes down in a Stephen King movie.
I actually really enjoy his movies, I'm not much of a reader so I haven't been able to get the story any other way. I'm probably gonna try and watch Dreamcatcher then. I'm trying really hard to read The Stand, and I'm only at about page 30... got it for Christmas.

Anybody else into Stephen King, or do most people find him to be the most pretentious writer ever like one of my friends (poor children, they never see it coming in his stories, but we do.)

ThePrime

Smash Lord
oh wow im pretty sure Dreamcatcher is on my list as one of the worst movies i've ever seen. The stuff towards the end of that movie is just lolzy to a point i couldnt even take it serious anymore.

Gatlin

To me, it is kind of like one of those movies that you have to not take all the way seriously, and look at it as completely a movie where anything is possible. It isn't the worst movie, I wouldn't go that far, but you either hate it or love it. Lots of mixed feelings, but I can definitely say you can't feel "meh" about it. That is, unless you weren't paying attention.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I think that's his writing style though, I have one friend who adores his writing, and the other thinks he is a terrible writer. No one is "meh" with him it seems.

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
I think that's his writing style though, I have one friend who adores his writing, and the other thinks he is a terrible writer. No one is "meh" with him it seems.
Me.

I've read like....maybe 20 S.K. books, some of them were great (The dark tower series, Rose Matter) Other's were so terrible, and the movie adaptations were even worse (like Desperation seriously, don't read the book or watch the movie, it's so bad, and The Langoliers too)

A lot of the times King makes sorta okay plots, like The Secret Window and The Running Man. Then some sh*tty director comes and f*cks everything up. Although, Secret Window is bad example, Depp was pretty awesome in that movie in my opinion.

I don't think that S.K. is a profoundly great writer, but I don't think he's a terrible one either. Thus - meh :)

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I am meh with both Stephen King and Dreamcatcher.

On that issue, has anyone noticed lately that a lot of films, filmmakers, and actors are being billed as "people love it or hate it" types? It seems like a cheap way to promote something as interesting and controversial when really that description should be reserved for when it's more apt.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Stephen King is to me overall the best pop-author but he's pretty hit-or miss, and has been mostly miss in the past like 15 years.

Dreamcatcher was an okay novel, but I thought the movie was a horrible POS. It had some neat scenes though. I like how the inside of the mind was visualized as this complex labyrinth of books on shelves, like a nightmare library or something.

My favorite Stephen King book is one I don't hear get talked about very often. Gerald's Game is actually not fantasy horror or supernatural at all. It's still pretty terrifying though, and is actually moving because it is a lot more down to earth through and through.

The Shining was disappointing because I originally read it solely because the movie. It's one of the rare cases where the movie is undoubtedly better than the book. Then Stephen King got mad and made his own miniseries that was more faithful to the novel, and it was a total piece of crap.

My least favorite King book was either Insomnia or Desperation...or Regulators. All pretty much horrible books with nothing but senseless shock value. Insomnia had its moments though I guess.

As for Stephen King movies. As you might've guessed, my favorite is The Shining. Misery is really good as well, as are Green Mile, Hearts in Atlantis, It, Stand By Me, Salem's Lot, Carrie...etc. etc.

But then there are horrible ones like Dreamcatcher, The Dark Half, the Langoliers miniseries, The Shining miniseries

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Green Lantern trailers starting to pop up on TV. It looks like it's going to be more of a kid friendly Spiderman/Iron Man-type superhero movie than say, a Dark Knight-esque one. Still looks like a winner to me.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
You guys are talking about Stephen King in a movie thread and Shawshank hasn't been brought up yet? :awesome: 1408 was a really good horror movie too.

Was never a Green Lantern fan to begin with but the trailer doesn't get me that hyped :embarrass:

Top Bottom