• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
OOO, THAT REMINDS ME

.................I think I haven't asked this already...
So I was arguing discussing with a guy at work about which Disney movie is better: Hercules, or Aladdin.

We mainly talked about cast, music and story. I think Hercules is better because:
Hades > Jafar (and I KNOW many will disagree, but he is more funny and scheming and has fire for hair)
Muses > whatever they sing in Aladdin
Hercules' story > Aladdin's (imo)
He countered with Robin Williams and Gilbert Gottfried, but it wasn't enough imo. Oh, and that Jasmine was responsible for more first boners.

What are your favorite NON-CGI Disney movies?

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Pretty sure "The Fox And The Hound" was my favorite (Disney) movie when I was a kid. Watched it literally over and over. Nostalgiaaaaa~

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Lion King, followed by Beauty and the Beast, followed by Hercules, followed by Aladdin

I also liked Tangled, Fantasia, Tarzan(first movie I ever saw), and Emporers New Groove

Olikus

Smash Champion
Hard to say favourite Disney movie. I do prefer Hercules over Aladdin though. Mulan got the best soundtrack at least!

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Has anyone seen CatFish yet? Wondering if it lives up to the small hype it generated.
Catfish is nowhere near as good or thrilling as any advertisement say. But if you happen to have nothing else to do and come across it for free, it's at least a better use of time than, say, Nicolas Cage :troll:

I know it isn't Disney (Miramax I think), but all this talk has reminded me of a fantastic film that's probably one of my childhood favorites. The Thief and the Cobbler. Please someone tell me they've seen it.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
^^^saw the NC review of that. He was not kind :glare:.

I should say that Tarzan was the first movie I REMEMBER seeing, at least. I saw it in theaters when I was...three I think.

Since the I love asking questions, anyone remember they're first trip to the movies?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
^^^saw the NC review of that. He was not kind :glare:.

I should say that Tarzan was the first movie I REMEMBER seeing, at least. I saw it in theaters when I was...three I think.

Since the I love asking questions, anyone remember they're first trip to the movies?
I remember seeing Lion King in theaters back in 1994, on a pre-school field trip. It was amazing. I wonder if that has anything to do with why I love movies so much.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
First memory of seeing a movie in theaters was seeing Mufasa get thrown off by Scar...I actually had to leave the theater with my dad, cause I started crying and got scared LOL.

Aladdin is my favorite though. Hercules is funny as well. I've watched both many times, but Aladdin takes the cake mainly because I never found the Muses' singing attractive.

Staz

Smash Lord
Aladdin really is the best. The movie shows alot and tells alot I think

what about megamind? for sure one of my favorites right now.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
as far as modern cgi, I'll always have a thing for Wall-E

But I think Up's first 10-15 min. is one of the best 10-15 Pixar has ever made

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I think the first 15 minutes of Up are some of the best and most emotionally moving few minutes of any movie ever. On a whole, I think the rest of the movie is pretty good, although I perfer WALL-E personally, and the Toy Story Saga is my favorite animated movie series.

There's something animation can do with no or minimal dialogue that live action can't, such as the first 30 minutes or so of WALL-E or the few minutes in Up where they show The Fredrickson's marriage up until
his wife dies.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
^ anyone who would have it ruined by that spoiler tag not being there should seriously not be in a movie thread :p

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I was in love with WALL-E. Totally totally in love...then the humans appeared.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a great movie...but imagine if they had the balls to go a whole movie without any real dialogue. The first half of the film is magnificent. I also love the little space "dance" scene. Stuff like that was really touching, it's too bad they had to shoehorn in speaking roles and really cram the environmentalist message down our throats. If the whole movie was like the first 20 minutes or so, it would probably be my favorite animated film ever.

speaking of Pixar, I finally saw Toy Story 3. I don't really get the hype. It's good and all, but I had so many people tell me it was the best thing ever and it made them cry and etc etc. hell, it was even Quentin Tarantino's top film of 2010. I saw it and was mildly pleased and satisfied, but it was not mindblowing or heartmelting like I was expecting. I liked it a little more than 2. The first one is still my favorite by far.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I think the
furnace at the end where they all embrace each other
was a remarkably beautiful scene. I dunno, TS3 just did so many things well.

I was in love with WALL-E. Totally totally in love...then the humans appeared.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a great movie...but imagine if they had the balls to go a whole movie without any real dialogue. The first half of the film is magnificent. I also love the little space "dance" scene. Stuff like that was really touching, it's too bad they had to shoehorn in speaking roles and really cram the environmentalist message down our throats. If the whole movie was like the first 20 minutes or so, it would probably be my favorite animated film ever.
I can imagine no dialogue being seriously considered by the writers, but then it would be incredibly hard to introduce more of a story. No dialogue (however they would go about that) would make it seem like just a really long version of those introductory shorts they make.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Kung fu panda is one of my favourite animated movies. Looking forward to the sequel as well =)

Peeze

Smash Master
speaking of Pixar, I finally saw Toy Story 3. I don't really get the hype. It's good and all, but I had so many people tell me it was the best thing ever and it made them cry and etc etc. hell, it was even Quentin Tarantino's top film of 2010. I saw it and was mildly pleased and satisfied, but it was not mindblowing or heartmelting like I was expecting. I liked it a little more than 2. The first one is still my favorite by far.
I've been saying this for a while. Glad someone agrees.
I think the 10 year wait is what hyped it up more than it should've been.

Gatlin

I agree with the view on Toy Story 3. I know a lot of my friends and reviewers gave it outstanding ratings, saying it was the best out of all 3. Maybe I just have too much of a grown-up mind, or the nostalgia is playing with my decision, but I still think the original Toy Story was the best. I didn't really like 2, to be honest, and 3 was okay. I could see how it could be considered a tear-jerker at the end simply for it being set up that way, but I didn't feel it was enough to outweigh the first.

1>3>2

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
It is still one of the few series in that every movie has been consistantly good. How many 3rd movies can you think of that can even hold a candle to a previous movie?

Saying 3 was better than 2 or 1 was better than 3 is like saying 1,000,001 dollars is better than 1,000,000 dollars.

Gatlin

Well ya, they have all been entertaining to watch, but I don't really view them as all giving the same amount of entertainment. I just felt the second movie went a little too far with the introduction of new characters, areas, and such, I know it is necessary to increase the popularity of the series and to not get stale, though. It is true that I did like the first more than the other two, but I am definitely not saying the other two were terrible, no matter my opinion on the second. Just my opinion on which ones I enjoyed more.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of 2. Like 3, it's a good movie in its own right but compared to the first one it just wasn't as memorable to me.

I won't deny that nostalgia might be a factor there. Toy Story was mindblowing when it came out and I have watched it like 40 times at least. It's one of my favorite movies in general. The sequels are fine, but I don't think they are classic like the first one still is. Just how I feel about em though.

And still, my favorite Pixar movie is probably Monsters Inc. That's a movie that nearly did make me cry. I think it is underrated.

The only Pixar movies I haven't liked are Cars and A Bug's Life.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Ya know, Pixar may have the spotlight, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how close a 2nd Dreamworks Animation holds to it. For example, Rango was fantastic

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I think Toy Story 3 blew the first one right out of the water and it was definately my favourite film of 2010, possibly even my favourite film within this past 5 or so years.

:phone:

Gatlin

Yeah same, the last one was good and had a really suspenseful cliff hanger. Only a couple months I believe until it hits theaters. Probly gonna watch them all before I go again to refresh, lol.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I can't wait. The final huge battle is something I've been waiting for since the book came out.

As far as the series goes, I think from best to worst it's:

Order of the Pheonix
Deathly Hallows, Part 1
Half-Blood Prince
Chamber of Secrets
The Philosepher's Stone
Prisoner of Azkaban
Goblet of Fire

My personal favorite is either Deathly Hallows, Chamber of Secrets, or Half-Blood Prince

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I stopped reading the HP books after Order of the Phoenix, and stopped watching the movies after Goblet of Fire. No particular reason, I just lost interest in the wait for book 6.

My favorite book is Goblet of Fire. My favorite movie is Prisoner of Azkaban.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I enjoy watching Harry Potter, I think it's a better medium than the books are.

Not that I don't realize a lot is missed with the movies, I just don't like the books in general

Gatlin

Harry Potter's probably one of my favorite movie series, dunno why, I just have liked them since a kid and still now. I think Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite, it's whichever one they control time in. Still like the Sorcerer's Stone as well just for the introduction of a lot of things important to the plot and such.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Ya know, Pixar may have the spotlight, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how close a 2nd Dreamworks Animation holds to it. For example, Rango was fantastic
For some reason, I was pretty unimpressed by Rango. I loved the art style and the characters, but it just didn't capture my imagination for some reason.

"I found a human spinal column in my feces once."

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
haha, too good

SO,
Fast Five was fun. It's probably the most quintessential guy's movie you'll see all year.

Not to mention extended trailers for things like Transformers and Hangover II

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I stopped reading the HP books after Order of the Phoenix, and stopped watching the movies after Goblet of Fire. No particular reason, I just lost interest in the wait for book 6.

My favorite book is Goblet of Fire. My favorite movie is Prisoner of Azkaban.
You missed out, the 5th book was the worst and the 6th and 7th were by far the best.

:phone:

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Like I said, man. Anyone who regards actionaction as a worthwhile genre will like Fast Five

Top Bottom