• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
It was... alright.

The actual production was done well and, like you said, what screen time Voldemort has is quite entertaining
but it follows the HP story. So meh

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Has anyone heard that Taxi Driver 2 is filming this year? DeNiro, Scorsese, and Lars von Trier are attached. Hmmm...

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Idk, it's never been too appealing to me.
quest for this, quest for that, aqcuire conveniently soon-to-be-needed item, teenage sexual tension, repeat

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Probably for the best. While I am sure they are all capable of creating what could be a great movie using what I consider the perfect movie, I'd rather not even mess with it.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Idk, it's never been too appealing to me.
quest for this, quest for that, aqcuire conveniently soon-to-be-needed item, teenage sexual tension, repeat
The 7th book mixes things up a bit. The threat levels in it are much higher seeing as though anyone can die now it's the final instalment. It doesn't arse about either, one of the least likely to die supporting characters gets killed in like the 2nd or 3rd chapter.

I wasn't that big a HP fan but the 7th book was incredibly well written. It is one of the few things that lived up to all the hype.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I expect the second part to be better.
And I do think the actor who plays Voldemort should be awarded SOMETHING. He was great for the probably 20 minutes of screen time he had

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I admit, this HP was the first I was willing to see in theaters since Chamber of Secrets.

marthsword

Smash Ace
This is really interesting. I'd be happy if it was released, even if its a poor effort it would still be a topic of discussion. But the question is, would a sequel be logical?

At the end of the original, the real ending, when Travis is hailed as a hero. Not the climactic bloody shootout. Travis is finally, on some level, at peace. Many have argued that this scene was a coma-induced dream, or for a different reason, not reality. But on second viewing you realize that doesn't matter, it's a fitting ending because Travis has finally escaped his inner demons, and on an emotional level, is content.

Now where would a sequel begin? Our most logical hint is the final moment of the film, where Travis drives Betsy home, Betsy flirts with him, he has forgiven her for rejecting him and is happy beyond words to be with the woman he wanted to (and now can) love. He drops her off, she walks inside, Betsy is no longer in his view. As he drives off, a sharp ringing sound drowns out the drone of the taxi, Travis adjusts his mirror to see what's going on, and stares behind him. It's hard to explain why when typing this out, but its entirely clear that this represents how despite his success in becoming a hero, his bout with mental instability will always be a step behind him.

So if there IS a part two, I only see one starting point. A brief catch-up scene which shows us what's happened since Travis put his demons behind him, and then soon after, their resurfacing. This story, being the plot of the sequel. If anyone else can think of a different plot, that would be cool. Because I can't.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Man I saw HP. I've read the books so I knew exactly what to expect but it seems a lot of parents clearly hadn't read the book and decided to bring their incredibly young kids along.

In between the torture, constant murder, finding a dead body in the closet, depictions of suicide, a python slithering out from the inside of a corpse, naked kissing and a general feeling of hopelessness throughout the film, I realised that this film definitely wasn't for young kids.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
This is really interesting. I'd be happy if it was released, even if its a poor effort it would still be a topic of discussion. But the question is, would a sequel be logical?

At the end of the original, the real ending, when Travis is hailed as a hero. Not the climactic bloody shootout. Travis is finally, on some level, at peace. Many have argued that this scene was a coma-induced dream, or for a different reason, not reality. But on second viewing you realize that doesn't matter, it's a fitting ending because Travis has finally escaped his inner demons, and on an emotional level, is content.

Now where would a sequel begin? Our most logical hint is the final moment of the film, where Travis drives Betsy home, Betsy flirts with him, he has forgiven her for rejecting him and is happy beyond words to be with the woman he wanted to (and now can) love. He drops her off, she walks inside, Betsy is no longer in his view. As he drives off, a sharp ringing sound drowns out the drone of the taxi, Travis adjusts his mirror to see what's going on, and stares behind him. It's hard to explain why when typing this out, but its entirely clear that this represents how despite his success in becoming a hero, his bout with mental instability will always be a step behind him.

So if there IS a part two, I only see one starting point. A brief catch-up scene which shows us what's happened since Travis put his demons behind him, and then soon after, their resurfacing. This story, being the plot of the sequel. If anyone else can think of a different plot, that would be cool. Because I can't.
It's not a sequel (if it even happens at all), it's a remake.

I don't believe the ending is a dream, though that interpretation seems to be pretty popular. The irony of it all is that he is hailed as a hero, when he is more or less a complete monster inside.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The idea of a sequel would fall in line with the writer who said Travis wouldn't survive a secons time. He was nearly a few seconds feom being a reviled assassin. A grizzled Travis that somehow made it to old age would be a haunting film.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I can't believe Paranormal Activity 3 is being made.
When a studio can make millions off of a movie that is made on a low budget, you should expect plenty of sequels. :urg:

White Dog, 1982

A woman hits a stray dog in the middle of a highway. She takes it in and nurses it back to health and begins to grow attached to it. Soon, it becomes apparent the dog has been trained by their previous owner to attack black people.

What a loaded concept! Surprisingly, the filmmakers treat the subject matter with appropriate caution and thoughtfulness. The film ponders the question of learned racism- is it something you can "cure"?

The movie has a couple of cheesy parts but they don't detract from the whole picture. A great performance by Paul Winfield as a black zookeeper who's intent on changing the dog's behavior, and a very effective "performance" from the dog itself.

4/5
And now I understand the joke in Family Guy. It's a terrible show, but hey, at least I now understand another reference.

Anyway, I'm planning on watching a movie this weekend, and I can't decide between Pulp Fiction, a movie which I haven't seen in a long time (I can barely remember most of it), A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey (the book was great), There Will Be Blood, or Sweeney Todd. Any thoughts?

marthsword

Smash Ace
The idea of a sequel would fall in line with the writer who said Travis wouldn't survive a secons time. He was nearly a few seconds feom being a reviled assassin. A grizzled Travis that somehow made it to old age would be a haunting film.
Sounds like Godfather III done right. The writer was Paul Schrader, who had a very interesting quote. Which in a way hints that in his mind, there have been multiple sequels already. Or at least, spiritual successors. Paul seems to believe that the protagonists of "Taxi Driver", "Light Sleeper", "American Gigolo", and "The Walker" were one character, each film depicting them at a different stage of their life. Absolutely fascinating!

"a certain character... who drifts on the edge of urban society, always peeping, looking into the lives of others. He'd like to have a life of his own, but doesn't know how to get one." This character is angry in his 20s (Taxi Driver), narcissistic in his 30s (American Gigolo), and anxious in his 40s (Light Sleeper)."

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
"a certain character... who drifts on the edge of urban society, always peeping, looking into the lives of others. He'd like to have a life of his own, but doesn't know how to get one." This character is angry in his 20s (Taxi Driver), narcissistic in his 30s (American Gigolo), and anxious in his 40s (Light Sleeper)."
Has Paul Schrader forgotten Bringing Out the Dead? If there is any movie that is a spiritual successor to Taxi Driver, that would be it.

I also don't think Schrader meant all those are literally the same character, it's just that they reflect the same themes that always come up in Schrader's writing.

Anyway, I'm planning on watching a movie this weekend, and I can't decide between Pulp Fiction, a movie which I haven't seen in a long time (I can barely remember most of it), A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey (the book was great), There Will Be Blood, or Sweeney Todd. Any thoughts?
I say watch all of them except Sweeney Todd, but especially 2001 and TWBB.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Harry Potter was very good.
I enjoyed all the action scenes and everything.

The main downside to this film for me was that throughout the whole film I was more concerned on when and where it would cut off rather than the actual movie. It took some of my focus off of the film. Other then that, I thought it was very good and I'd watch it again.

Oh, and I felt that some characters weren't given a lot of screen time. I love how much older all the characters look. It makes me feel nostalgic and reminds me of the older films and how much they've grown up and such.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
You've read the book and you never guessed it was going to cut off at Shell Cottage? As soon as I heard they were splitting it into 2 parts I said "Shell Cottage is where it's going to end".

They couldn't cut it off after Gringots because that would just make Part 2 one massive fight scene, and they couldn't cut it off before Malfoy Manor because that would leave the events in Part 1 lacking and the events in Part 2 too clustered.

Plus Shell Cottage is half way through the book.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Why have I not found this thread before?

I have yet to see the new Harry Potter. Been too busy making short films, haha.

Last film I saw was Due Date--sheer trash.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I enjoyed Downey Jr.'s character, and it got a tad sentimental, but overall it was pretty garbage

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I never understood why his character was such a jerk all the time, and I similarly didn't get why Zach's character was so utterly dumb. As a result, I didn't buy their relationship, which is supposed to be the whole movie.

I blame the script--it didn't really give the actors enough to work with.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I never understood why his character was such a jerk all the time.
Why is any character the way they are? He was an upper-middle class american ***hole.
***holes so fo' no reason are too cool for school

I'm actually kind of getting annoyed at Galifianakis(?) becoming typecasted as ridiculous but charming idiots. His stand-up is actually really funny and different. er, was, back when he did stand-up, unless he still does, in which case :awesome:

Should be seeing Catfish soon. I'm told it's a good'n

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
^so I did

It was good, but not what I was expecting.
I remember the hype, saying "don't let anyone ruin this for you!" These warnings may be slightly overemphasized

mzink*

Smash Ace
The new HP was good but it kinda makes me sad that there's less and less happy/funny moments as the story goes on. I miss the lightheartedness of the older ones. I mean yea they are always fighting a great danger in all of them but there seemed to be more fun and less despair and depression and death before. Not that I was expecting any different. But yea it was good, saw it twice.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Well, it is the final installment.
Finding horcruxes is serious business. I personally like the dark feel to it. It makes the series feel way more mature and captivating. It actually had quite a few funny moments. I don't think the seventh book/film is meant to be happy. They're traveling everywhere to find pieces of Voldemort's soul to destroy them and ultimately, him. If it was all lighthearted then it wouldn't have much of an impact imo.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I recently got done watching Titanic. Honestly, I really dont see what other people do.

I mean, I find the characters quite uninteresting, the Romance and Story bland, and the ending just...not that good. I suppose that knowing what happened at the end throughout the movie, but imagine being someone unaware about the disaster(i did know, this is just an example). When they hit the Iceberg, it seems like an entirely different movie. Dont get me wrong, the size and scale of this movie is fantastic, and for what its worth its actually pretty well made.

If I had to list my favorite Camron movies, itd go like this:

T2>Alien>Terminator>Avatar>Titanic

Thats all I've seen from him, but theres probably more

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Uh, crashing into an iceberg resulting in a sinking ship is going to change things no matter what. Titanic is a very cohesive film. Were you hoping JAck and Rose just ignored the sinking ship and continued on with their giddy romance? Of course the film has a different tone in the last half, it's because THEY'RE ABOUT TO SINK TO THEIR DEATHS.

I know it's cool to hate on Titanic but it is one of my favorite 90s films and probably my favorite Hollywood blockbuster since Terminator 2.

My main gripe with the film is that it could have been so much more. I would have preferred it to be an ensemble piece with many different stories and characters on the ship instead of completely focused on one romance. Oh well, it worked really well for me. Leo and KAte Winslet are incredibly endearing and the story, while a bit trie and predictable at times is just so well-executed and charming.

mzink*

Smash Ace
Lol like i said, i didn't expect lightheartedness. Just missed it.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I was born after, or just slightly before, it was made. I knew it was a romance before I saw it. I HATED the romance in the movie. I thought that the movie wouldve been better without it.

Romantic movies really arent my thing. I can see why its an acadamy award winner, they eat that **** up. And I guess I can see why other people enjoy it. Its just too much of a chick flick. I know it sounds horrible...but after watching the romantic light-hearted movie at the beginning Im so bored that I dont care when the ship is sinking. I wouldve liked that bleak suspenseful feel of the last half for the entire movie.
Of course, if Camron would've done that I doubt it wouldve made as much money as it did.

And what you said about it being an ensemble peice is kind of what I was wanting too.

marthsword

Smash Ace
dear God

I feel so old right now
It's cool, being an old timer is the last thing to be ashamed of, I've seen furries on this forum. x]

What's the deal with Due Date. I've only seen the previews, it seems to be a kind of spiritual successor to The Hangover. But reviews seem to be mostly negative. Did anyone enjoy it? If not, where did it go wrong?

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
dear God

I feel so old right now
I read that post and felt the same way lmao.

Some movies I've seen from this year recently:

Buried

A Heavily Hitchcock inspired film starring Ryan Reynolds where he's...well, buried. The entire film takes place in a coffin and uses Hitchcock-esque camera techniques to bring out the claustrophobia, suspense, and to distort Ryan's character through out his escape. For those thinking it may sound tedious or boring, it really is the opposite of that impression. He is given some tools such as a pencil, flashlight, and cellphone by his ransomers, and interacts with criminals, the government, and family, not knowing who to trust. I reccommend it to anyone either looking for something different, suspenseful, or is a fan of Hitchcock and would like to see a modern Hitchcock film (with propaganda and all, Iraq War instead of Cold War!).

Exit Through The Gift Shop
Whether it's a documentary or staged, it doesn't matter, this movie is awesome. This film follows the filmmaker, Thierry Guetta, as he tries to learn about the world of street art and interviews notorious, elusive street artist, Banksy. The opening is the most beautiful I've seen all year, showing clips of street artists creating and displaying their art and running from police while the song "The Streets are Ours" is playing. The rest of the movie features an elaborate story of how Guetta came to be an "artist" himself, with many street artists commenting how they believe he's just a crazy guy with a strong interest rather than an artist. Nevertheless, his story is heartwarming and full of fun.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
It's cool, being an old timer is the last thing to be ashamed of, I've seen furries on this forum. x]

What's the deal with Due Date. I've only seen the previews, it seems to be a kind of spiritual successor to The Hangover. But reviews seem to be mostly negative. Did anyone enjoy it? If not, where did it go wrong?
The Hangover was successful because the relationship between the main characters was believable, and the script was actually smart.

On a side note, I recommend Tangled.

soap

Smash Hero
I loved the new Harry Potter. I loved the little tim burton-esque animation they used for the three brothers story.

that half naked harry hermione makeout session out of the horcrux was slightly inappropiate i thought. there were ten year olds sitting right behind me....

Top Bottom