• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I've read and enjoyed every HP book but as far as the films go HBP is my least favorite of the series. I have a feeling they'll make up for it with the DH movie(s).

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Guys. Christopher Nolen has confirmed a few things in regards to the Dark Knight Rises.

1. Tom Hardy has been cast in an unnamed role
2. With Ratchel dead, The film will have a new romantic interest, and
3. The villian will, in fact be female.

What excites me alot is the last one. We pretty much have 3 choices, at least in my oppinion:
1. The most obvious: Catwoman. The one everyone wants. Nuff said.
2. My choice: Harley Quinn. Considering we had Joker in TDK, I'd like to see this character as a female counterpart of the Joker, maybe playing a similar role.
3:poison Ivy. Not likely, but this character deserves better than Batman & Robin. Yeah.

Also, anyone thinking Barbara Gordan as Batman's love interest?

Food for thought.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I've read and enjoyed every HP book but as far as the films go HBP is my least favorite of the series. I have a feeling they'll make up for it with the DH movie(s).
Yeah, I agree. I liked it but the end was very underwhelming. No big battle at all. I remember feeling disappointed in the theater when the movie ended.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Guys. Christopher Nolen has confirmed a few things in regards to the Dark Knight Rises.

1. Tom Hardy has been cast in an unnamed role
2. With Ratchel dead, The film will have a new romantic interest, and
3. The villian will, in fact be female.

What excites me alot is the last one. We pretty much have 3 choices, at least in my oppinion:
1. The most obvious: Catwoman. The one everyone wants. Nuff said.
2. My choice: Harley Quinn. Considering we had Joker in TDK, I'd like to see this character as a female counterpart of the Joker, maybe playing a similar role.
3:poison Ivy. Not likely, but this character deserves better than Batman & Robin. Yeah.

Food for thought.
I'd bank money on Talia.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
I've never read the comics and don't know much about Batman beyond his movie history, but would it be possible for Poison Ivy to be his love interest as well as villain???

marthsword

Smash Ace
If I am going to the movies and paying for a 3D ticket, I need a plot that isn't just rehashes of others. The plot was so unimportant (and extremely bad if you really break stuff down), but I cannot ignore plot for impressive visuals. It's the exact reason I hated Transformers, Saw, and any other movie that relies on a sole gimmick to make up for massive shortcomings.
The Dances with Wolves argument right? If you're feeling cruel, point that out to an Avatar lover in face-to-face conversation. Their smiles fade, the movie is ruined.

Tried again to get people to watch Eternal Sunshine with me. Everyone point blank refuses.
One of my teachers showed me something really interesting. The plot is entirely non-linear. It's a puzzle. Clementine's hair is actually the key.

What guy from Scrubs? The guy from Dexter/Oz was in the movie.
Somebody remembers Oz! The most daring drama ever created. The Godfather of of this decade's psychological 1 hour dramas. It's too bad it's gritty as ****, can only be watched in small doses.

I've never read the comics and don't know much about Batman beyond his movie history, but would it be possible for Poison Ivy to be his love interest as well as villain???
I'm reading Batman: Hush right now, Poison Ivy is more relevant than ever. I was jotting down notes of the character's histories since Hush is a difficult jumping in point. Here's Poison Ivy (as a villain) for those who don't know. As a love interest, Ivy and Batman shared a kiss. She kept an antidote across her lips. Unfortunately R'as Al Ghul, another eco-terrorist (in a sense) already saw a character arc in Batman Begins, so Talia is less of a possibility. But in the future I believe Talia and Batman have a kid?

When the plant toxins reached her brain, the plant cells spiritually connected her with all the world's flora. Soon after she became fiercely protective of Gotham's plantlife. Her protective relationship grew more extreme over the years, using acts of eco-terrorism to protect Gotham's plantlife. She used her jailtime constructively, deciding to live among the plants, as her conservation efforts could never fully succeed. Ivy created her own Garden of Eden, filled with the world's most beautiful flora. But her paradise was short lived, her island becoming the target of an American nuclear test bomb. Her "one bad day" enraged her. She takes vengeance on those responsible through a kiss, using her enhanced pheremones to seduce each victim, then redirecting her plant toxins from her bloodstream onto her lips.
The most important note on a love interest: Batman is married to his job, his love interests will always be seductive villains. Harley Quinn despises Batman, and is infinitely loyal to The Joker. She could play a supporting role, but not as a love interest. Catwoman was ruined by her movie.

Brilliant. The tragedy of the film would revolve around the events of the iconic one-shot. The Killing Joke. Would have to take some liberties though, romantically connect the two before The Joker ruined her. Easy to fit in Harley Quinn as well.

As for villains. Rule out Killer Croc for being one-dimensional. Rule out Catwoman for being tarnished in Catwoman. Rule out Clayface, Blackmask, not so compelling. Rule out Bane, doesn't belong in a movie. R'as and Scarecrow have already been portrayed. Deadshot could have a minor rule. Mr Freeze is a good contender, in comic films, tragedy works. The Riddler would be ideal for a secondary plotline.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
Hey Marthsword, I saw you post about an updated list from AFI of the greatest movies of all time. The Moving Arts just released a list of their own, which I think is a bit better of an indication of the greats, although I have a few problems with it. TMA includes foreign films while AFI does not, but it's still a better list even when looking just at American Films. Raging Bull is #18 on this one.

#1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Kubrick)
#2. Citizen Kane (1941, Welles)
#3. The Godfather (1972, Coppola)
#4. Andrei Rublev (1966, Tarkovsky)
#5. The Rules of the Game (1939, Renoir)
#6. Casablanca (1942, Curtiz)
#7. Vertigo (1958, Hitchcock)
#8. La Dolce Vita (1960, Fellini)
#9. Seven Samurai (1954, Kurosawa)
#10. The Godfather Pt. II (1974, Coppola)
#11. The Third Man (1949, Reed)
#12. The Wizard of Oz (1939, Fleming)
#13. Dr. Strangelove (1964, Kubrick)
#14. Goodfellas (1990, Scorsese)
#15. Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972, Herzog)
#16. 8½ (1963, Fellini)
#17. Singin' In The Rain (1952, Donen, Kelly)
#18. Raging Bull (1980, Scorsese)
#19. Lawrence of Arabia (1962, Lean)
#20. Solaris (1972, Tarkovsky)
#21. The Night of the Hunter (1955, Laughton)
#22. On the Waterfront (1954, Kazan)
#23. Intolerance (1916, Griffith)
#24. L'Atalante (1934, Vigo)
#25. Apocalypse Now (1979, Coppola)
#26. Birth of a Nation (1915, Griffith)
#27. Battleship Potemkin (1915, Eisenstein)
#28. Taxi Driver (1976, Scorsese)
#29. Chinatown (1974, Polanski)
#30. Rashoman (1950, Kurosawa)
#31. The Searchers (1956, Ford)
#32. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966, Leone)
#33. Yojimbo (1961, Kurosawa)
#34. Nights of Cabiria (1957, Fellini)
#35. The Curse of the Cat People (1944, Fritsch, Wise)
#36. Annie Hall (1977, Allen)
#37. Tokyo Story (1953, Ozu)
#38. M (1931, Lang)
#39. Brief Encounter (1945, Lean)
#40. Rear Window (1954, Hitchcock)
#41. Barry Lyndon (1975, Kubrick)
#42. Ikiru (1952, Kirosawa)
#43. A Clockwork Orange (1971, Kubrick)
#44. Metropolis (1927, Lang)
#45. City Lights (1931, Chaplin)
#46. Bashu, The Little Stranger (1986, Beizai)
#47. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951, Kazan)
#48. Badlands (1973, Malick)
#49. The Asphalt Jungle (1950, Huston)
#50. Pather Panchali (Ray, 1955)
#51. Touch of Evil (1958, Welles, Keller)
#52. The 400 Blows (1959, Truffaut)
#53. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928, Dreyer)
#54. King Kong (1933, Shoedsack, Cooper)
#55. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927, Murnau)
#56. L'Avventura (1960, Antonioni)
#57. The Empire Strikes Back (1980, Kirshner)
#58. The Apartment (1960, Wilder)
#59. The General (1927, Keaton, Bruckman)
#60. Pierrot le Fou (1965, Godard)
#61. The Seventh Seal (1957, Bergman)
#62. Talk to Her (2002, Almodóvar)
#63. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971, Altman)
#64. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962, Ford)
#65. Do the Right Thing (1989, Lee)
#66. Pulp Fiction (1994, Tarantino)
#67. Ugetsu (1953, Mizoguchi)
#68. Manhattan (1979, Allen)
#69. Star Wars (1977, Lucas)
#70. F for Fake (1973, Welles)
#71. Blue Velvet (1986, Lynch)
#72. The Leopard (1963, Visconti)
#73. Modern Times (1936, Chaplin)
#74. Sweet Smell of Success (1957, Mackendrick)
#75. Yi Yi (2000, Yang)
#76. Grand Illusion (1937, Renoir)
#77. Out of the Past (1947, Tourneur)
#78. Mulholland Dr. (2001, Lynch)
#79. Wild Strawberries (1957, Bergman)
#80. Synecdoche, New York (2008, Kaufman)
#81. Psycho (1960, Hitchcock)
#82. Nayakan (1987, Ratnam)
#83. Wings of Desire (1987, Wenders)
#84. The Big Sleep (1946, Hawks)
#85. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004, Gondry)
#86. Ulysses' Gaze (1995, Angelopoulos)
#87. Notorious (1946, Hitchcock)
#88. Nashville (1975, Altman)
#89. Days of Heaven (1978, Mallick)
#90. The Maltese Falcon (1941, Huston)
#91. The Bicycle Thief (1948, de Sica)
#92. A Touch of Zen (1971, Hu)
#93. Fargo (1996, Coen, Coen)
#94. Breathless (1960, Godard)
#95. Children of Paradise (1945, Carné)
#96. The Wind Will Carry Us (1999, Kiarostami)
#97. Rio Bravo (1959, Hawks)
#98. Jaws (1975, Spielberg)
#99. There Will Be Blood (2007, P.T. Anderson)
#100. Japón (2002, Carlos Reygadas)

The list is good, but it's predictable and reminds me of similar lists I've seen. It's also kind of inconsistent, because they have choices like Birth of a Nation and Wizard of Oz that are high because of their historical context, with some other films around it that weren't as historically important placed there simply because they were really good. Also, it seems like they're afraid to put in films that aren't directed by critically acclaimed directors and anything that would probably be able to compete in the cult category are ignored, which is odd because TMA is known for praising certain cult films.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Good find :) I'm not able to comment on the list as a whole, not familiar with the films that fill out the bulk of the list. But I can say that I'm impressed with The Moving Arts. I am very impressed actually, in that they chose the lesser-known films that inspired all the classics. For example, Seven Samurai took the place of Star Wars on AFI's list. Seven Samurai being George Lucas' inspiration, one of the most influential films of all time. Blue Velvet too! When else has a forced you to take the perspective of a voyeur. Do The Right Thing is as good as you can get on racial commentary.

#64, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance, is almost forgotten as a good Western since High Noon and The Searchers always come to mind. But a few of the shots became famous among directors, still used to this day because they are still effective as ever. How many times has this resurfaced:

Down the list, I have to complain. I love Phillip Seymour Hoffman, but Synecdoche New York is too young. There Will be Blood isn't a classic gangster film yet, but it has potential. Jaws is incredibly dated, although they did a good job of representing former favorites that haven't stood the test of time. Never heard of Mulholland Drive.

Polar, was this a user-voted list, or in house (not sure what you would call that)? You're right about the lack of cult films. But AFI was much more conservative, and every critic has followed in their footsteps, so I can only praise TMA. Not sure what Andrei Rublev is, though. Good post.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
I know it wasn't user voted, so my guess is that it was a contribution of a few editors. I didn't even notice Synechdoche, New York on there, definitely too young to be considered. Although it's actually a film I would consider in my personal top 5, for it to be in the greatest list I think it should age more.

A few of the bottom choices could have easily been replaced by cult films that have inspired so many. Eraserhead was on their list of greatest debuts at #2 beating out all the other films on this list that are debuts that aren't named Citizen Kane, but it's not on here. They also ignored animation films. However, in their introduction they noted that not everybody is going to agree with the list, and that they shouldn't, which is a nice touch.

Mullohand Drive is a film by David Lynch, which I've seen once. It's definitely something to be seen multiple times, a difficult film to grasp. By the time it was over, I wasn't sure what exactly it was about. Then I read some analysis on it, wondering why it's been so praised, and figured there was a lot I missed. I'm looking forward to seeing it again. Even though I didn't understand it, it was still interesting simply because of Lynch's direction, which I find really hypnotic for some reason.

marthsword

Smash Ace
I'll try it, thanks for the recommendation. I'm sure there's no one out there to agree with me, but animated films can hardly be compared with live action. It's a different field, there's an inevitable divide between them.

Most importantly. What do you think about 2001 in the top spot? It's a brilliant movie, it's ambiguous and surreal without being irritating. Even today all Kubrick's camera tricks hold up. I'm not one to discuss cult films, just no familiar with any. But I'm sad to see no One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest. And The Graduate, it's just a part of pop culture, everything in it. And Butch Cassidy. And Breakfast Club, forget American Graffiti. And as for a Coen Bros. film, you can never expect a critic to place one above Fargo, but I prefer No Country for Old Men. Believe it was an instant classic.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The Dances with Wolves argument right? If you're feeling cruel, point that out to an Avatar lover in face-to-face conversation. Their smiles fade, the movie is ruined.
Or Pocahontaus, Ferngully, or Smurfs.

marthsword said:
Somebody remembers Oz! The most daring drama ever created. The Godfather of of this decade's psychological 1 hour dramas. It's too bad it's gritty as ****, can only be watched in
While Season 6 fell off, the show was amazing.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Some random things:

Lists are ********.

There Will Be Blood isn't a gangster film in any sense of the word.

2001 is a good choice for a #1 film of all time though.

Synecdoche New York is my top film of the 2000s

Mulholland DR. is one of the best movies of all time. David Lynch is possibly my current favorite filmmaker.

Jaws is barely dated at all. It's still a perfect example of how to build tension.

Goodfellas>Godfather

I've seen 51% of the movies on that last list. The only decision I have major issue with is Do the Right Thing being so low. It is top 10 quality no doubt. It's my favorite film of the 80s...but like I said, lists are dumb.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Some random things:

Lists are ********.

2001 is a good choice for a #1 film of all time though.

I've seen 51% of the movies on that last list. The only decision I have major issue with is Do the Right Thing being so low. It is top 10 quality no doubt. It's my favorite film of the 80s...but like I said, lists are dumb.
Lists form the bad habit of drilling other people's opinions into your head. But they make good discussion when crafted by the American Film Institute.

2001 is brilliant. It opens your eyes more on every viewing. What's your theory on The Monolith? For arguments sake don't bring the book into this, too many details were changed.

I'm also watching Once Upon a Time in America later tonight or tomorrow maybe. I'm sure it will be good. James Woods and Robert Deniro in a film by Sergio Leone (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly).

And on Goodfellas: Howard Stern interviewed the REAL Henry Hill on his show sometimes recently. It's quite sad, he's so burnt out on years of drugs and alcohol, something like Syd Barrett post-Pink Floyd. If the mob tracked him down, it would be more like putting him to sleep then anything. It's a worse punishment for him to ride off the success of Goodfellas by making crayon paintings of Tommy and Billy Batts and destroy his own liver, then take a bullet to the head.

On Jaws: Not a Spielberg fan.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I don't remember the 2001 novel to be honest. I read it a long time ago and just found that I liked the movie way better.

I think the monoliths are a symbol of human evolution. Or in literal terms, they are the actual "kickstart" that causes evolution. I think they're placed on Earth, the Moon and outside of Jupiter by some extraterrestrial or cosmic being. But, I think of them more as a symbol more than a literal "evolution stone". The film is far too vague and ponderous to think in literal narrative terms, and symbolism is all we have to go on especially for the second half of the film.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Not true.

Clayface would be a great vehicle for suspense

gonna be watching There Will Be Blood for the first time soon.
Possibly. Clayface just seems too Golden-Age to fit. Even the new incarnations haven't really deviated. If Nolan will be following the comics, there isn't much place for a tie-in. Basil Karlo has been a relevant character, just is yet to have his own Killing Joke, or Hush, or Knightfall. Which almost seems like a necessity. Besides organizing all the living Clayfaces to kill Batman. But if Nolan will also include Poison Ivy or Mr. Freeze, he could tie-in a couple fitting storylines, when Clayface held Poison Ivy captive, when Clayface and Mr. Freeze both held Batman captive. The other Clayfaces don't have much material to pull from.

But I spoke too soon, Black Mask WOULD be interesting, but you need his origin in there too. And that was during Batman's childhood.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
I'll try it, thanks for the recommendation. I'm sure there's no one out there to agree with me, but animated films can hardly be compared with live action. It's a different field, there's an inevitable divide between them.

Most importantly. What do you think about 2001 in the top spot? It's a brilliant movie, it's ambiguous and surreal without being irritating. Even today all Kubrick's camera tricks hold up. I'm not one to discuss cult films, just no familiar with any. But I'm sad to see no One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest. And The Graduate, it's just a part of pop culture, everything in it. And Butch Cassidy. And Breakfast Club, forget American Graffiti. And as for a Coen Bros. film, you can never expect a critic to place one above Fargo, but I prefer No Country for Old Men. Believe it was an instant classic.
I disagree on the animated films part. I think they can be on par with the greatest live action films. Akira (the anime), Grave of the Fireflies, some of Walt Disney's works, Some of Pixar's works, Hayao Miyazaki's films, Jiri Trnka's works, and I'm probably forgetting some others, are really fantastic and I think can stand up to the live action heavyweights.

I'm happy with 2001 at number one. It's not one of my personal favorites, but I could see why it could be the greatest. As for Fargo, I don't think I've actually met a Coen fan that holds Fargo as their favorite. I haven't seen No Country For Old Men, but I'd rank a bunch of their other films as better than Fargo (The Big Lebowski, A Serious Man, Barton Fink, The Man Who Wasn't There, and Miller's Crossing).

Olikus

Smash Champion
Mulholland DR. is one of the best movies of all time. David Lynch is possibly my current favorite filmmaker.
One of my friends met him personally, and stayed with him for a week to make a documentary about him. And showed him around in the city. I'm so jealous. He also handed Lynch the movie he directed, which i had a small part in. Its a low budget silent film. Hopefully he like it.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Just to be clear: Nolan has Ruled out Freeze and Riddler(cry) and has opted for a female villian. Clayface as a diseased character(like in Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth), while not a Villian, would be a cool alt. storyline. I stand by that Catwoman is most likley, since this isnt in cannon with that Halle Berry peice of garbage, but I'd love harley as the villian. Of course, Ledgers character wont be appearing, neither will Dent, but both in the series have 2 villians, so why should this be any different?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Fargo is my number one Coens, but it's tied with Big Lebowski. They're both perfect in different ways. My least favorite Coens is probably Intolerable Cruelty.

@ Olikus: That is so awesome. Was the documentary entitled "Lynch"? If so that's a great documentary, it shows David working on INLAND EMPIRE (which is my overall favorite film of his) and the passion and dedication and creativity the guy has towards his work is amazing.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
@ Marthsword, I'm pretty sure Nolan has said that his movies are within his own Batman universe, so he probably won't follow too closely with comics (considering how many authors have/are picking up Batman).
_________

I've probably said this several times in this thread, but A Serious Man is definitely my favorite by the Coens

Olikus

Smash Champion
Fargo is my number one Coens, but it's tied with Big Lebowski. They're both perfect in different ways. My least favorite Coens is probably Intolerable Cruelty.

@ Olikus: That is so awesome. Was the documentary entitled "Lynch"? If so that's a great documentary, it shows David working on INLAND EMPIRE (which is my overall favorite film of his) and the passion and dedication and creativity the guy has towards his work is amazing.
No it wasn't that one. He met him just recent. In the beginning of october, so the documentary is probably not finish. I shall give you the name on it as soon as it gets out :) I think the documentary is about Lynch as a person, since he was so close on him for a week. Maybe like Tintin et moi from 2003 if you seen that one. Is much about his obsession for Transcendental Meditation. but Im not 100 percent sure on this yet. I shall hear with him.

And on the Coen discussion. Its very close, but I have to choose No country for old men, just before Fargo. It was such a mood in the film as I never have experience before or after. The opening with Tommy Lee Jones talking while the dead landscape passing by was really effect full. It sets up the whole film. The three stories also gets in to each other perfectly even if you actually almost never see the three of them in the same scene.

I also liked the timing. It can be slow without being boring. I often dislike films for not being fast enough or what you will call it, but its comfortable slow. Hard to put word on it. But the editing was well conducted and thoughtful.

And I dont need to go on with Javier Bardems performance. Its brilliant imo.

And the gas station scene is maybe my favorite movie scene. Its just perfect.

marthsword

Smash Ace
@ Marthsword, I'm pretty sure Nolan has said that his movies are within his own Batman universe, so he probably won't follow too closely with comics (considering how many authors have/are picking up Batman).
_________
Good to know. The Nolan-verse. I was referring more to the classic stories. Dark Knight Returns, The Long Halloween, The Man who Laughs. Stories like those don't get retconned, and it goes without saying they're intelligent enough to fit into any smart movie. Though in a way, it was retconned, I believe A Death in The Family would be a perfect fit for this new film.
Joker beats Jason Todd, the second Robin, within an inch of his life, then blows him up. Even more tragic when you consider how he and Batman were in a rough spot, with Jason feeling obselete.
It could easily serve as the new film's tragedy (Dark Knight's being the origin of Two-Face). It fits into the timeline quite well. Though, I'm not suggesting he stay loyal to what we've seen in the comics, but use plot points, and craft the surround details on his own.

Admittedly, I'm just delving into the Coens. So far I've loved their trademark style. You can expect major characters to die off in an anticlimactic matter. But you'll never see it coming. But of what I've seen, (Big Lebowski, Intolerable Cruelty, Fargo, No Country). I'll still have to go with Lebowski. Granted, I understand the films don't reveal themselves on first viewing, and as far as I can remember I've only ever been a one to two time viewer. Perhaps it's just more accessible. But for now I'll have to go with The Big Lebowski. The film that made 40 year old, grungy, uneducated deadbeat stoners seem pretty cool. And even more impressive, it's a film that made bowling seem not only trendy, but the solution to every difficult situation.

Also: loving the Media Metropolis!

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
here's some crap I watched:

Unforgiven
, 1992

The anti-Clint Eastwood Western. Clint is an old pig farmer who used to be a hardass cowboy who killed a bunch of people. He hears word of a prostitute who got her goods cut off with a knife and decides to kill the perpetrators for the reward money.

There's a lot more to it, but it's mostly about deconstruction of "The Old West" mythos.

4.5/5

The Hudsucker Proxy, 1994

This is about big business in the 50s, and every character is a 1950s pop culture stereotype/archetype. Sometimes it works- for instance, Jennifer Jason Leigh is perfect as a fast talking tom-boy news reporter. Other times it doesn't. This is probably one of the weakest Coen Bros. movies I've yet to see but it's still really entertaining.

3/5

HORSE the Band EARTH TOUR 2008, 2010

Experimental heavy music rock group HORSE the Band set out on a massive worldwide tour of 45 countries in 3 months. Not only do most bands not have the balls to do this at all, HORSE booked, funded and managed it all themselves.

The film documents the entire journey. There is plenty of footage of the band acting like drunk *******es in most of the countries, but to my surprise there is much more to the film. The group set out on the tour with vague hopes of learning about themselves, the world, or improving their own spiritual outlook. By the end, each member is assured of the pointlessness and nihilistic nature of life. It must be a humbling experience to rush through so much of the world in such a small amount of time. Some highlights:

-A public toilet in China: a cement shack with a hole in the ground that leads to the river. After the band uses the toilet, they look a little bit down the river to see citizens bathing in the same river.

-The band being forced to travel through seperatist nation Transnistria to make their way to a Ukraine show. The sense of unease and fear in this part is palpatable. Then they miss the Ukraine show, get wasted in a hotel room, and proceed to cover it in yogurt and flood it.

-The band tries to hit on Swedish girls by approaching them, getting in their walking path and doing pushups.

-The vocalist breaking his shoulder and cracking his collarbone with 2 weeks left of the tour. He played every show before seeing a doctor and getting an X-ray in the States. That's punk ****ing rock.

Most special to me was that these guys have a very similar outlook on life as I do. Nothing matters, nobody knows anything, but we are completely and utterly free. It is liberating. The last scene shows the guitarist and keyboardist counting their "profits" (they made no profit, and all they had to show for the tour was a lot of credit card debt). The cameraman asks how they did, and the keyboardist just laughs.

"I used to believe in nothing...but I don't anymore."

5/5

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
nice, ill have to check out that horse documentary
They released a limited edition DVD set of it for fanatics like myself, but the band are going to be torrenting the whole thing for free and uploading all of the photos taken on the tour.

The whole thing is 10+ hours but it is split into 1.5 hour long Volumes. So it's much easier to watch it like a TV show rather than a whole movie.

marthsword

Smash Ace
I'm looking for good Westerns? I'm completely new to the genre. Mainstream, obscure, it will probably be new to me. I've seen every mob movie (which in a sense is a genre kind of linked to Westerns).

Mob films: Godfather I, II, III, Goodfellas, Casino, Raging Bull, A Bronx Tale, the 80's Scarface, Donnie Brasco, On the Waterfront, Carlito's Way, The Public Enemy. Too many for one year. At least, I can't handle anymore. For now.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
my favorite Western is Once Upon a Time in the West. I'm more into spaghetti-westerns and the grittier American Westerns that followed rather than the old jingoistic 50s John Wayne type movies.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
One of my favorite westerns (maybe my absolute favorite) is The Oxbow Incident. It stars Henry Fonda and Dana Andrews. It concerns two drifters who stumble into a hostile town outraged over the murder of a farmer by cattle-rustlers in the area. The men take part in searching for the murders so as to not give the impression of being suspects themselves. The search posse they take part in are quick to react for justice, allowing their prejudice to harm other people's civil rights.

Some other personal favorites of mine are the Clint Eastwood Dollars Trilogy, Red River, Stage Coach, The Shootist, and My Darling Clementine. The Coens have a True Grit remake coming which will probably be really good.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I'll be watching these on my apple TV, and let you know what I think. Also, I'm a huge fan of Watchmen the novel (and DC comics in general), and I'll be watching the movie this week as well. The special effects I saw in the trailers had me hooked. Though, these days a major trend is creating films solely for box office profit, relying on explosions and mindless action to sell out and carry the plot. I'm hoping Zack Snyder didn't skimp on the narrative and direction like we've been seeing. It's something Watchmen could easily become. But we'll see. Here's hoping Watchmen is in no way reminiscent of the films of Michael Bay.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I love the Watchmen movie, but noone else here seems to :/

HP7pt1 tonight. Ill tell you guys if its any good.

Jane

Smash Hero
man, i love watchmen the movie. although if you've already read the graphic novels, youre PROBABLY gonna be disappointed. i mean if you read the book before the movie interpretation of the book, chances are the film wont live up to your expecations.

but watchmen, and kick ***, are my favorite super hero movies.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
White Dog, 1982

A woman hits a stray dog in the middle of a highway. She takes it in and nurses it back to health and begins to grow attached to it. Soon, it becomes apparent the dog has been trained by their previous owner to attack black people.

What a loaded concept! Surprisingly, the filmmakers treat the subject matter with appropriate caution and thoughtfulness. The film ponders the question of learned racism- is it something you can "cure"?

The movie has a couple of cheesy parts but they don't detract from the whole picture. A great performance by Paul Winfield as a black zookeeper who's intent on changing the dog's behavior, and a very effective "performance" from the dog itself.

4/5

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
DAWWWW, Watchmen the novel is SOO good. It's a shame you saw the movie first

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Okay Just got back from HP7pt1.

Its fantastic. Its MUCH darker than HP6, definitly not for the kids to see.
The plot moves at a quick pace, but its never hard to follow. This is also the closest to the book, hardly leaving out ANYTHING. Some scenes are legitimatly scary, too.
The actors are all fantastic, the one who really stood out for me was Lord Voldemort, who in this movie gets much more screen time. Among the main 3, I thought the best was Rupert Grint, even though hes in the movie far less than the other two.
The special effects are great, too. Especially in one particular scene featuring Nagini the Snake, and another Horcrux scene.
Overall, though, I thought that this half of the book was not as interesting as the last half, and my favorite movie in the series is still HP6.

9/10, Its definetly worth seeing

Top Bottom