• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Because of where I live I rarely get to go to the cinema (the last time I went was 7 months ago) so I have to choose my films carefully, so despite hearing nothing but good things about the Avengers I decided to pick Prometheus over it, because come on a superhero summer blockbuster or a semi-prequel to Alien produced and directed by Ridley Scott? There is no way I'm missing a chance to watch a movie like that at the cinema, heck I even watched Alien 2 nights ago which got me even more excited and tipped the balance in favour of me going to see Prometheus.

Some parts are just so nonsensical that people started laughing.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Yeah I know, it's just that I love those 2 Alien films, if you are going to watch this movie don't try to makes sense of anything that happens.

The incredibly ironic part of the film is that the android is (almost, Theron arguably beats him) the most human character in the film just because everyone else can barely act/don't react like a normal human would in certain situations. Theron is supposed to be a cold, almost emotionless woman and she out acts everyone except Fassbender who is on her level and he's the android, and for some reason Guy Pearce is put into the most fake looking make-up ever. Why did they make him old? Couldn't they have gotten an actual old guy to play his part?

Severely disappointed, even if you read the few good user reviews on IMDb you will notice that they suspiciously leave out the plot. Almost all the bad reviews have spoilers and I think I might make a review in spoiler tags, because seriously I'd suggest spoiling this film for yourself.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
This movie mad me :mad:

I think a better slice-of-life-interweaving-plotlines movie is Playing by Heart.

The Master, on the other hand, looks totally badass.
Magnolia will probably always be my favorite movie of all time. I can kinda understand someone not liking it, but I can't understand people who hate it. Only a very few movies have affected me on the same emotional level as that one does. It helps that I can relate to almost every single character in it. It also helps that it's incredibly well-made, well-acted, well-filmed, well-composed, and well-paced.

It's also not about interweaving plotlines. If you went in expecting all the characters to coagulate on a narrative level then I guess it's understandable why you wouldn't like it. The characters are connected on a spiritual and cosmic level, not in a simplistic Babel or Pulp Fiction-esque way. In fact, it's the very essence of the movie that most of the characters do not even interact with eachother. The ending would be meaningless otherwise.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Ah that would explain why the ending seemed exactly that-meaningless. I obviously need to see it again.

Edit: just saw In Time. anyone else see this? I am not sure what to think. I liked it but I feel as if it could have had more background exposition, especially in character development

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
So I'm getting my review/plot of Prometheus out the way to show why I didn't like it, I want to see if any of you notice these glaring plots holes that I did when you watch it. Massive spoilers here though I detail the whole film:

[collapse= Spoilers]
So the film starts well enough, if not slightly subdued and undramatically, but then again this is an Alien film directed by Ridley Scott so if you're expecting a massive action packed opening you're at the wrong movie. The CGI at the start is a little iffy, some things look good whereas others are clearly obvious despite only being shown for the breifest of moments (like David's basketball and the waterfall) and the fact I noticed those things instantly was a bit odd for a blockbuster. Anyway things roll fine until about 20/30 minutes in when they finally reach these caves, where the android reads ancient alien carvings on a wall and then instantly touches it in specific points in a certain order, and it's revealed he's typing in a password or operating these glyphs to make things happen somehow. As odd as it is there could be a vaguely plausible explination as to why knowing ancient human languages means he knows ancient alien passwords, but no one even questions him on this or seems in the least bit bothered, and that's quite jarring. Then, upon coming across a 2000 year old alien corpse no one seems to be as excited as you would be for coming across the greatest discovery in human history, and the geologist actually gets angry and decides to leave (with the biologist who for some reason isn't interested in a dead alien, and who the geologist previously hated) and shouts at the main character when she questions why, as her boyfriend stands there and does nothing to back her up. You will notice this, you expect humans to act like humans or at least ask the questions you have, but they haven't so far.

Anyway they look at stuff and leave with an alien head because of a random sandstorm that puts the main character in mild danger (she's the main character she's not going to die this early in the film), the android sneaks an alien device on the ship, meanwhile the geologist with the 3D map and a radio, and the biologist, are revealed to have gotten lost despite having a map and the rest of them not stuggling to get back to the ship. Anyway one of the mapping devices has stopped and keeps on picking up a lifeform from time to time, so they captain dismisses this as a glitch, informs the 2 guys and says he'll pick them up in the morning. Those 2 guys then decided to go through the door they avoided in the first place and sleep in that creepy room, and they are greeted by a live snake alien that hisses at them. Despite being scared off by a dead alien they're not in the at least bit scared by this live alien, and through stupidity (wanting to touch it repeatedly, not doing anything when it attacks the biologist) get themselves killed. That is another scene in which you can't help but notice the strange, inhuman, reactions of the characters. They act completely differently from scene to scene, and while this might be good in a horror movie this film is so far devoid of tension and is trudging along quite slowly.

Anyway the rest of the crew electricute the alien head until it explodes and the archaeologist makes an oddly specific, and correct guess, on some biology of it, and then the head is never mentioned again for the rest of the film. David (the android) secretly infects the main characters boyfriend with some black goo he found in the device and then ignores him for the rest of the movie, and the boyfriend sleeps with his infertile girlfriend. Everyone heads back to the cave the next day and finds the 2 dead guys and notice the snake alien coming out of the biologists mouth, but this is almost ignored as the important part is the boyfriend is getting sicker, so they rush him back to the ship and the snake alien is never mentioned again for the rest of the movie. Upon getting back to the ship with a big fever and sweat everyone, apart from the main character who suggest something stupid like giving him medical attention, decides it'd be best to burn him alive with a flamethrower, so they do and it's never mentioned again for the rest of the movie.

After that it's revealed that the main character is pregnant with an alien, so she's quarantined, she escape and knocks over 2 people who tried to subdue her and runs away to a super advanced emergency surgery machine and demands a c-section, but it's only calibrated for men. She tricks it into giving her one anyway (how it never noticed she was a woman when it scanned her body is beyond me) and it cuts an alien out her stomach and then literally staples it back up in about 5 seconds. She then traps it in that room and runs into the same people who were trying to subdue her, and no one says anything or questions why she's covered in blood and sweat and why there's staples in her stomach and she doesn't mention the alien, instead we learn that Guy Pearce (Weyland, the guy that funded the mission and is dead) in terrible old man make-up (why not just use a real old man?) is actually alive and on the ship, only about a handful of crew knew. Why was he keeping it secret? Who knows. Meanwhile the rest of the crew get attacked by the zombie geologist on the ship, he kills a few of the background characters who've had no lines and they kill him and no one ever mentions it again for the rest of the movie. No one even seems that shocked.

I was getting quite annoyed by this part, I wanted people to act normally but all the characters were incredibly alien, the most human character was the android so far. Anyway the android has discovered an Engineer in stasis during the events of the film and leads Weyland (who thinks it can cure death), the main character and the 2 people who tried keeping her in stasis (everyone is too shy to mention that still I guess) to the Engineer and wake him up. At that stage the main character demands the answer to pretty much all the questions we have, and David asks him in an ancient language, so the engineer smiles, rips David's head off, and kills everyone except the main character who can run pretty fast despite having her abdomin cut open like 10 minutes ago. Upon seeing this through video link on the ship the captain, the 2 co-pilots, and the completely pointless Charlize Theron (who, despite being one of the best actors in the film has no point in being in the film) calmly decide it's time to go home. Seriously they walk calmy and aren't very phased by the events they see. After the main character begs them to stop the Engineer because he's off to destroy Earth they suddenly change their mind and, despite the captain telling them it's pointless he can fly the ship by himself, him and the co-pilots (who even smile whilst they unecessarily throw their lives away) fly into the Engineer ship and crash it. Charlize Theron is the only person who thought that was a bad idea so escapes in a big escape pod (the one with the abdomin alien in it) and her and the main character decide to run away from the crashing ship in a straight line, despite the fact that the main character avoids the ship by rolling sideways 2 or 3 times (seriously, it was that easy, I'm not making that up) and Charlize Theron gets squished because she wasn't smart enough to run at an angle. By this stage I realised the film was almost done, and I took a deep breath and had to actually stop myself from walking out. Just before this part of the film someone did walk out.

Anyway David's head (which is in the exact same place despite the massive crash) tells the main character that the Engineer is coming to kill her. 0.2 seconds after saying that the Engineer breaks into the pod and attacks her, and she opens the escape pod with her abdomin baby in it (which is now 9 feet tall and super strong despite being trapped in the room with no resources) and her abdomin baby mouth ***** the Engineer. Then David informs her that there are other ships, and she asks if he can fly them because she wants to go to the Engineer's home planet and ask them why they want to wipe out humanity, and her and David fly away in a different ship towards their planet. The End.
[/collapse]

Ok so that review more or less turned into a detailing of the movies plot, but seriously I'd suggest reading it if you're not that fussed, because it helps detail my frustations of the movie. The characters are just so nonsensical, they overreact to stupid things and underreact to massive world changing events. They're not consistent and the movie has massive plot holes and explains nothing in the end. Urgh.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Ikr? They got bowser, eggman, that zombie dude from house of the dead, the bulky guy from street fighter, one of those weird looking ghosts from pacaman, and many other stuff I geeked out at.

Just take my money, Disney.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
Ikr? They got bowser, eggman, that zombie dude from house of the dead, the bulky guy from street fighter, one of those weird looking ghosts from pacaman, and many other stuff I geeked out at.

Just take my money, Disney.
All these Super Hero movies (Batman, Avengers, etc.) Those movies so outway whatever Disney might be doing.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Yep, hence why Shuma-Gorath was in the trailer I'd assume.

I know the one common complaint that everyone is making is that they listed Zangief as a bad guy...when he really isn't. Granted I don't really care cause idk, he kinda fits his position in the trailer.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Regardless of cameos and nostalgia exploitation, it's a movie about an 80's arcade villain who gets tired of his game and moves onto other games including some satire about current gen shooters. If disney can do this on the level they did toy Story, I'll ge tit on blu-ray.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Prometheus

I didn't really like this movie.

I liked about 45 minutes overall. The rest of the time I was mostly checking my watch.

I don't care about plot holes or leaps from reality logic. I just hated all the characters, didn't understand the point of it. I thought the message about faith was hamhanded and fell flat on its face over and over throughout the movie. The dialogue was torturously bland and sleep inducing. The pacing was dreadfully slow (and I love movies like Jeanne Dielman) and there simply just wasn't...enough of anything to really care about.

Charlize Theron was cool.

I liked the David android guy.

I liked the black guy.

I liked the dream in the beginning and a lot of the interior set design.

I liked the body horror and gory bits.

I liked the last scene even though I don't understand the reasoning behind it. In fact I don't understand how 98% of the movie is related to Alien. The last scene struck me as clumsy fanservice. It looked cool, at least.

I wish I could say the whole movie looked cool, but it oftentimes didn't. The exterior scenes are cast in unremarkable, depressing shades of grey and...darker grey. the 3D glasses didn't help this much.

Everyone I was with loved the movie so I felt like a jerk, but it was really pretty lame overall.

2/5

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
yeah that guy was a definite highlight of the movie. he was given pathetically short screentime and through most of the last 40 minutes I was daydreaming about him instead of paying attention to the movie

Peeze

Smash Master
He had very little screentime in Thor to0, but he had one of my favorite lines in the movie that went something like:
Thor: I dont plan on dying today
Elba: Few men do

Somethng like that

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Prometheus

I didn't really like this movie.

I liked about 45 minutes overall. The rest of the time I was mostly checking my watch.

I don't care about plot holes or leaps from reality logic. I just hated all the characters, didn't understand the point of it. I thought the message about faith was hamhanded and fell flat on its face over and over throughout the movie. The dialogue was torturously bland and sleep inducing. The pacing was dreadfully slow (and I love movies like Jeanne Dielman) and there simply just wasn't...enough of anything to really care about.

Charlize Theron was cool.

I liked the David android guy.

I liked the black guy.

I liked the dream in the beginning and a lot of the interior set design.

I liked the body horror and gory bits.

I liked the last scene even though I don't understand the reasoning behind it. In fact I don't understand how 98% of the movie is related to Alien. The last scene struck me as clumsy fanservice. It looked cool, at least.

I wish I could say the whole movie looked cool, but it oftentimes didn't. The exterior scenes are cast in unremarkable, depressing shades of grey and...darker grey. the 3D glasses didn't help this much.

Everyone I was with loved the movie so I felt like a jerk, but it was really pretty lame overall.

2/5
I'm one of the ones that get caught up on plot holes and stupid moments (and I think this film has the most I've ever seen outside of a comedy) but what also got me was the lack of tension.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Truth is, there are so many contrivances and holes in the movie that I have trouble believing they were unintentional. To what end Scott was working towards I have no idea, but the movie is almost defined by its ridiculous characters and plotting. The ones that really ever bothered me a lot were the two guys in the cave, and the
old man reveal and declaration
near the end.

Totally agree on tension though.

Grandeza

Smash Master
I saw Prometheus a couple weeks ago. I thought it was pretty good. Overall, I was expecting more from it, but it was solid in my opinion.

Saw Rock of Ages yesterday with some friends and didn't think too highly of it. I wasn't expecting much going in, but it was all very silly (sillier than I thought it would be). I wouldn't really recommend it. I'm pretty sure I liked it more than all of my friends though which was ironic since I was the only one who said we should see a different movie.

Hyped for Spiderman and The Dark Knight Rises.

CableCho57

Smash Lord
whoa a movie thread!

Looper looks pretty cool. A part of me is getting tired of bruce willis action movies, but I <3 Joseph Gordon levit and Emily Blunt even more.
Speaking of Emily Blunt, anyone see Your Sister's Sister? Not really for mainstream audience, but it was a great film I would recommend.

I'm super excited for Safety Not Guaranteed this weekend (Aubrey Plaza, Mark Duplass (Your Sister's Sister! lol), producers of Little Miss Sunshine) looks great.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
So I watched Batman. Wow this movie was great. Go watch it.

For those of you that have seen the film only (SUPER ULTRA ALMOST LAST SCENE MEGA SPOILERS):
I did like it how Batman went off to be forever **** teased by lesbian Catwoman. It's a nice happy end but it sucks to be Batman lol.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
So I watched Batman. Wow this movie was great. Go watch it.

For those of you that have seen the film only (SUPER ULTRA ALMOST LAST SCENE MEGA SPOILERS):
I did like it how Batman went off to be forever **** teased by lesbian Catwoman. It's a nice happy end but it sucks to be Batman lol.
What?
That was Holly Robinson, and Selina was never gay with her.

Top Bottom