• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Montreal Thread - You better comming!!!1

what do we do now?

• Play Brawl.

Votes: 127 41.4%
  • Play Melee.

Votes: 167 54.4%
  • Steal Airman from the Toronto guys, think about it later.

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVdA9ABzpg

Votes: 19 6.2%

• Total voters

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Meh, it's just that I don't think about DI out of it. This game is too fast for me !!:( And I bet your happy that Jiggly's bair has so much priority. :p Don't worry, it'll be a fight to the death !!!
Random first page quote cause it's funny.

FIND THE CRAZY GUY

zaf

Smash Lord
i haven't tried bbrawl, but if its still similar to vbrawl with the lack of true combos, then i don't think ill try it at all. I mean, what reward is there for "getting in" on an opponent if you can't follow up. Yes, you can tech and mind-game your opponent for additional hits, but there aren't true combos. Its hard as hell to make a 2 stock comeback in vbrawl, just getting hits in without being touched at all basically. i like that in brawl+ and even melee, that you can have a better chance at coming back if you land those needed combo's. Granted your opponent doesn't need that much more to win the match, but the less opportunities you give them the better.

swordgard

Smash Hero
i haven't tried bbrawl, but if its still similar to vbrawl with the lack of true combos, then i don't think ill try it at all. I mean, what reward is there for "getting in" on an opponent if you can't follow up. Yes, you can tech and mind-game your opponent for additional hits, but there aren't true combos. Its hard as hell to make a 2 stock comeback in vbrawl, just getting hits in without being touched at all basically. i like that in brawl+ and even melee, that you can have a better chance at coming back if you land those needed combo's. Granted your opponent doesn't need that much more to win the match, but the less opportunities you give them the better.
I dont see the point in giving true combos to everyone if there is no challenge in doing them, most of the time you may just as well give the char stronger attacks, since you cant DI out of most brawl+ combos in any way due to insanely long hitstun and the reduce of hitlag frames.

BentoBox

Smash Master
There is a big difference between B+ and Melee. In the latter, you are actually given defensive tools (DDing, WDing, CCing, DI, Shffl, etc) so if you happened to get caught up in a combo, its mainly because you got punished for not being able to use these tools appropriately. In B+ you are given a much looser dashdancing and... yeah that's it. Getting in on someone therefore requires much less work and reading and the reward for doing so? Quasi inescapable combos. If vB was too defensive, B+ is overly aggressive. I truly don't get the fascination for true combos when they are as badly implemented. Risk:Reward. It always comes down to that. In Melee, nothing was free.

swordgard

Smash Hero
There is a big difference between B+ and Melee. In the latter, you are actually given defensive tools (DDing, WDing, CCing, DI, Shffl, etc) so if you happened to get caught up in a combo, its mainly because you got punished for not being able to use these tools appropriately. In B+ you are given a much looser dashdancing and... yeah that's it. Getting in on someone therefore requires much less work and reading and the reward for doing so? Quasi inescapable combos. If vB was too defensive, B+ is overly aggressive. I truly don't get the fascination for true combos when they are as badly implemented. Risk:Reward. It always comes down to that. In Melee, nothing was free.
I dont recall anything being free in brawl either : (

You guys just need to step it up XD

BentoBox

Smash Master
Yeah, the lack of hitstun made it so you constantly had to think to press an advantage. But thinking is overrated apparently; as long as your character goes zoom zoom across the screen, all is good 8].

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
You guys always seem to ignore fun and excitement.

I am in no way advocating the competitiveness of Brawl+, notice how I don't really play it, I just think it's fun. I do, however, believe melee is competitive while maintaining the fun and excitement. Honestly BB is a good idea, I just don't think I'm gonna go out of my way to play it.

I mean, just watch this set and maybe you'll understand what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkBOfAKcrQ4

I do still sorta enjoy playing brawl because I like the mental battle between me and my opponent. The reason I like melee better is because it still has all that and more.

BentoBox

Smash Master
You guys always seem to ignore fun and excitement.
I am not. But I see no incentive in participating in tournaments for a game that I do not deem competitive. Just like you don't see me play UNO or Rock-Paper-Scissors with money on the line.

I am in no way advocating the competitiveness of Brawl+, notice how I don't really play it, I just think it's fun.
I am only discussing B+'s integrity as a competitive standard.

I mean, just watch this set and maybe you'll understand what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkBOfAKcrQ4

Yes; now look at Silent Spectre's first KO (most of the KOs in the match actually...). Reading and Tech Chasing, that's all there was to it. And its still mad fun to watch because its fast paced and because you do acknowledge the skill it takes to be so precise. Hitstun isn't what made Melee competitive; hell aside from Falco's shine/d-air shenanigans there is almost no display of true combos.

Yet, the feature in B+ is praised as the solution to cure Brawl from its monotony. Does it make the game any deeper? I would actually argue that it just got shallower.

Now try and find me a B+ video displaying these same elements that make Melee so fun to watch. (I realize its not really fair as B+ is relatively new but w/e, I believe I've made my point)

Blitzmidfielder

Smash Journeyman
It's a different game. Sometimes people just look for a new game to enjoy that fits their style. BBrawl is a step up from vBrawl because it at least attempts to balance the game; which is not a bad thing.

B+ is just a different kind of smash game from Brawl, Melee, or 64.

Wait, people are still discussing this?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I enjoy the vBrawl style far more competitively. There's less pressure and I can use my strongest tool to my advantage: My brain.

bBrawl is a step up, because they have SEVERELY tightened the gap between top and bottom.
You are not immediately a "scrub" for maining Falcon or Yoshi. They're viable now. Everybody is tournament viable.

I don't see why you'd even consider vBrawl to be better than bBrawl as a competitive standard. Popularity has nothing to do with competitive potential. In fact, by saying "Oh it's not popular right now so I won't get into it", you're actually preventing it from getting popular.

cemo

white walker
Swordgard asked me if I mastered Kage's bull**** when I footstooled his Snake to death.

Game and Watch is 2 gewd. Plus Yanic is a mad scrub, step up your game guyz.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I enjoy the vBrawl style far more competitively. There's less pressure and I can use my strongest tool to my advantage: My brain.

bBrawl is a step up, because they have SEVERELY tightened the gap between top and bottom.
You are not immediately a "scrub" for maining Falcon or Yoshi. They're viable now. Everybody is tournament viable.

I don't see why you'd even consider vBrawl to be better than bBrawl as a competitive standard. Popularity has nothing to do with competitive potential. In fact, by saying "Oh it's not popular right now so I won't get into it", you're actually preventing it from getting popular.
Yes well the smash community is not large enough for freaking 2 more smash games made from scrubby players that can't win tournaments. What the hell do they know about balancing a game. A fighter is suppose to have strongest characters.. no matter how much you balance the game there's always going to be a strongest character that will always win. Balancing a game already made by competent designers is a waste of time. There's no reason to divide the community even more with B+ or BB. Why would people follow something like that? It's fun at best, not competitive.

Saying more characters are tourney viable is a myth, sorry.

Swordgard asked me if I mastered Kage's bull**** when I footstooled his Snake to death.

Game and Watch is 2 gewd. Plus Yanic is a mad scrub, step up your game guyz.
No one can master Kage bull**** except Kage.. now gtfo. =P

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Do not make wild assumptions when you have not played it.

There is character viability now. Characters were worked on in a matchup-by-matchup basis, giving them tools to even out each matchup.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Do not make wild assumptions when you have not played it.

There is character viability now. Characters were worked on in a matchup-by-matchup basis, giving them tools to even out each matchup.
So what? If you are one of the 5-6 people that support BB.. what's that gonna give you? No competition. Popularity is competition, that's the truth. The more players, the more high level play is possible, and then the more players that want to challenge top players.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
There are far more than 6 people. Check the thread in my signature, and you will see how much support it has. Full communities have converted.

All I ask is that you give it a shot as a community before shutting it away.

You are continuing to ignore the fact that it won't grow if people refuse to try it.

Take steps forward with it like I am.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
There are far more than 6 people. Check the thread in my signature, and you will see how much support it has. Full communities have converted.

All I ask is that you give it a shot as a community before shutting it away.

You are continuing to ignore the fact that it won't grow if people refuse to try it.

Take steps forward with it like I am.
You make it sound like some cult or something. I won't blindly join something unless I believe it's good to begin with. I already have attachments to melee, I have no need to become friends with other people. Melee community is ****ing awesome.

swordgard

Smash Hero
You make it sound like some cult or something. I won't blindly join something unless I believe it's good to begin with. I already have attachments to melee, I have no need to become friends with other people. Melee community is ****ing awesome.
He looks way more like hes trying to convert you from say weed to a way stronger drug.

Jarc

Smash Lord
TO THE CORNFIELD... BYAAAH!!!!!! (Montreal, Canada
I am not. But I see no incentive in participating in tournaments for a game that I do not deem competitive. Just like you don't see me play UNO or Rock-Paper-Scissors with money on the line.
Dude, UNO money matches are so ****ing awesome.
Gotta choose your colors wisely n stuff.

He looks way more like hes trying to convert you from say weed to a way stronger drug.
Non.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
Co-signed. Especially the overagressive part. and I like melee. B+ is ******** agressiveness. It's all good and all, but watching krewman's falcon+ makes me cringe. Too much reward for bad decisions.
All in all pretty much scrubs trying to find another game because they can't get good at Melee or Brawl. GG no rematch. =)
=O I swear I didn't laughahahah.
So what? If you are one of the 5-6 people that support BB.. what's that gonna give you? No competition. Popularity is competition, that's the truth. The more players, the more high level play is possible, and then the more players that want to challenge top players.
This is also true. It's the basis of all fighting game. Which is why I don't really like this melee brawl brawl+ balanced brawl bs, especially since montreal has about 30 active smashers. We're just watering down everyone's skill.
Hey Jer, this is the really ridiculous rest I wanted to show you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK79upbEfuM
oh my crap wtf is this regular jigg+ rest? or some mutant hacked rest some dude created?

swordgard

Smash Hero
This is also true. It's the basis of all fighting game. Which is why I don't really like this melee brawl brawl+ balanced brawl bs, especially since montreal has about 30 active smashers. We're just watering down everyone's skill.
Yup, you pretty much got it.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
If Popularity was the basis of a good game, there needs to be more Madden tournaments.

Oh, and Halo is the best shooter of all time.
Halo being the best shooter of all time is debatable and each his own opinion. Personally I've liked Natural Selection as a shooter the best because it was a sort of Starcraft FPS which was awesome. It was basically Marines vs Aliens and you had to build your base to have stronger guns for example and you can get Weapon dmg and Armor upgrade. As Aliens, everyone started as Skulks (Zerglings pretty much) and then you had to evolve your form into either a builder, a support flyer, or a super quick Fade hit and run type of upgrade or Onos.. and trample over everything. Every map has 10 resources nodes and you gain resources by killing people/buildings or get resources equal to the number of resource tower you have per second, so you had to fight for resources in order to gain upgrades faster obviously.

Fun game all in all, I used to be in a CAL league in this game I was pretty good.

And ya Halo has huge competition sponsored too.. so if you want to challenge the top teams.. then you better be **** good, no johns. Do people complain about Halo being a broken shooter hell no, they just keep playing until they get good enough. If you keep running away from one game and change into another game, you'll never become a top player. A top player is one who freaking works his *** off at least 5 hours a day of gaming and loves the game.. you gotta want it really badly as well. If you want to play for fun, then ya go play your BB or B+... that's not where the competition it's at... the community is too small. Only the legit games Brawl or Melee has enough players to bring the correct hype.

Co-signed. Especially the overagressive part. and I like melee. B+ is ******** agressiveness. It's all good and all, but watching krewman's falcon+ makes me cringe. Too much reward for bad decisions.
I agree as well, Triple signed. =P

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I used to do that for vBrawl. I didn't go to bBrawl because I "can't win at vBrawl". I very much can. I went to bBrawl because it's clearly better for tournaments.

It's not like I main somebody inviable. I main Lucario. bBrawl is actually HARDER due to Lucario being in the top half and having new competition.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
If Popularity was the basis of a good game, there needs to be more Madden tournaments.

Oh, and Halo is the best shooter of all time.
You didn't understand us at all.

Popularity is not the basis of a good game, but popularity is often related to the skill level of a game, and consequently related to the learning curve of said game due to the amount of dedication invested into it.

Madden is very popular, most likely there are a lot of good people, and people better than others, but then again I don't think there are people waiting for Madden at MLG. Besides, that's a bad comparison because anyone who has experience with sports games know that you should never put money on the line for them. Sport games are only good until you find the way to always score. Once you get there, you'll probably drop the game after a few weeks to play some other game.

I have little experience with FPS aside from a bit of Halo 3 so I can't comment on that Halo is the best shooter bit.

kr3wman

Smash Master
So you wouldn't want Brawl64 to be added to the mix?

=(

Sphyra

Smash Apprentice
I said it before and I'll say it again, all fighters are balanced. You get to pick from the same pool of characters as anyone else playing the game.

Characters are tools, stop picking the ****ty ones.

Top Bottom