• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Montreal Thread - You better comming!!!1

what do we do now?

• Play Brawl.

Votes: 127 41.4%
  • Play Melee.

Votes: 167 54.4%
  • Steal Airman from the Toronto guys, think about it later.

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVdA9ABzpg

Votes: 19 6.2%

• Total voters

kr3wman

Smash Master
Wasn't DBZ' explanation that there was two different timelines or something?

Man I don't remember it at all.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
When you make any action you create a new dimension where you made that action. A different dimension exists for every other possible action you could have taken and did take in that dimension. This being the case, there is an infinite number of dimensions and the number is always growing.

If we take the above to be true, choosing to go back in time is a decision, which creates another dimension. The you from the dimension you went through time in will still be alive and will always have been alive. The you you went back in time to kill will be the you of another dimension. This must be the case or else you would have never been able to go back in time to begin with.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Usually I don't try to explain physics in fictional universes but Fizzi sure did it in a clear fashion and totally not vague in any way.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
my ROB was the master planker.

in other news NHL10 and Scribblenauts are both great candidates for GOTY.

Raiden IV is pimp as ****.

Shadow complex rules ****.

and im excited as **** for Fifa 10

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Great fest on the 2nd floor, Dom. Thanks for hosting!

1st floor was horrible, though. Ugh. D:

vrud

Smash Apprentice
Hey dom merci pour le fest. Also downstairs was awesome... 99 stocks pokemon battle 3 people ffa is legit. Sword can u send my this replay thats on ur wii of me and krew in teams... i dun no how replays work on the wii but if u can send it to me id like it ^^

cF=)

Smash Lord
À propos de ce que Fizzi a dit, une autre explication possible du voyage dans le temps serait qu'on puisse voir notre passé à la manière d'un fantôme; les événements défileraient donc devant nous sans qu'on puisse y faire quelque chose, ce qui ouvre la porte à dire que des gens pourraient actuellement être en train de nous observer sans être distingués.

Now get paranoid, son. Time travellers are watching you fap, day and night, and probably upload that **** in the future on youtube3000 for money.

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
Merci Dom pour ce smashfest =)

-J'ai finalement réussi à battre holy avec bowser no johns son ;)
-New King Dedede challenger approaching !!!
-le pivot grab, le futur de brawl ?
-dsl pour l'assiette dom :(

est-ce qu'il y a quelqu'un qui voudrait jouer onlince ce soir entre 10h et minuit ?

BentoBox

Smash Master
À propos de ce que Fizzi a dit, une autre explication possible du voyage dans le temps serait qu'on puisse voir notre passé à la manière d'un fantôme; les événements défileraient donc devant nous sans qu'on puisse y faire quelque chose, ce qui ouvre la porte à dire que des gens pourraient actuellement être en train de nous observer sans être distingués.

Now get paranoid, son. Time travellers are watching you fap, day and night, and probably upload that **** in the future on youtube3000 for money.
Good thing its impossible :D

-le pivot grab, le futur de brawl ?
Toute nouvelle decouverte recente concerne X personnage etant capable de chaingrabber/infiniter Y. C'est le trajet que le metagame s'est dessine ca fait plusieurs mois maintenant :<

ouais merci a tous pour etre venu ;) pas mal cool les games
Merci bcp pour la fest :D

I heard B+ is pretty broken, confirmation?
**** yeah. CF is ridiculous lol. *goes back to SF4*

vB/B+/Melee are just as broken, in their respective ways. *still believes BB is the way to go*

Jarc

Smash Lord
TO THE CORNFIELD... BYAAAH!!!!!! (Montreal, Canada

I knew it all along, but didn't say anything because I knew people wouldn't believe me.
There is a group of around 20 of us ready to take on the time traveling threat, via time travel.
Bring your own weapons, but fear not, I have done this many times before.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36

Eh **** that! That's a load of bull.

fap fap fap fap

RageKev!

Smash Journeyman
That's cuz my father is Vinnie Paz, YOU ****IN MAGGOTSÈ

WORMS

lol

Good stuff.

Edit@Swordgard: I know and admit it's gay, I just find it more enjoyable than the other arguably gay options I have when choosing which game in the SSB series to play,
with the likely exception of SSB64

cF=)

Smash Lord
I read that on the web today and I fell off my chair, laughing uncontrollably...

EDIT: I warned ya

BentoBox

Smash Master
Yes, you do.
The evidence is striking. I take competition seriously, to some extent; competition that cannot exist without a community. I don't even play vB anymore (who still does aside from ally, holy, sword, kkong, agora, joel, steb & dom?), I bought melee a week ago and am already losing interest and I've already expressed my thoughts concerning B+. If there is nothing for me to involve myself with, what is it I'm being serious about? I could get srs about bB if people gained interest but that's not happening.

See what?

That the people that 'balanced' brawl didn't even change the movesets even though imbalances come from there?

Viability has nothing to do with unwinnable matchups, but everything in putting the odds in your favour and that why top tier characters in any game win exponentially more tournaments than high/mid characters even if people argue that characters in those two tiers are viable theoretically and havne no unwinnable matchups.
...Let me quote what you wrote previously:

Better moveset = Better Character = Better Matchups.

It's funny how you respond to your own question.
Now let's take CF. Bad Moveset = Bad Character = Bad Matchups => Unviable.

MK? Good Moveset = Good Character = Good Matchups => Viable.

If MK wasn't viable, one of the elements of the chain forcefully has to be broken (omitting the degree to which a character is considered good, for simplicity's sake). If he isn't viable, it might be because he is a bad character, and bad characters have bad matchups. Why is it being said that D3's infinite hurts DK's viability in the competitive scene? Because the match-up is unwinnable (extreme case & debatable). Yet, DK is a good character all around. Good Moveset = Good Character = Good Matchups => Unviable.

Of course, everybody's definition of viable is different; I believe it to be defined by total self-reliance i.e. a character who doesn't have to counterpick due to lopsided matchups is viable... A character with plenty of 40:60s isn't likely to make it to the grand finals, but it doesn't mean that the character cannot win, just more effort will be required from the player. The less a player has to fight to cover his own weaknesses, the more adaptable he is to the game in play and the more likely he is to win.

ROB isn't considered viable by many, that doesn't stop Holy from winning against unlikely odds.

And about your last paragraph, you are basically just repeating what I've already said about top tiers having greater risk:reward ratio options; bB attempted to correct that by having the lower tiers pack more punch for the higher risks they'd have to take to land hits. Something AA explained thoroughly:

I would caution against a style of absolutism that's easy to settle into. It's easy to say a character with poor priority will "always" be low tier. It's easy to say a character who has generally unsafe moves will "always" be bad. That's just wrongheaded. What if we reverted every change on Ganondorf and made his jab so powerful that it always killed every character at 0% on every stage (well, to the extent that's possible, 255 damage, base knockback, and knockback growth)? Ganondorf would be the best character in the game by a huge margin; nothing else would even matter because that jab would be so good. It would also be terrible design, but that's aside the point. What really matters on a character is risk-reward-cost. Risk is the danger you expose yourself to by taking any given action. Reward is what you stand to gain if the action is successful. Cost is a measure of the resources you consume to take that action (free time, good position, charged moves, staleness, double jumps, etc.). Having low priority or a general lack of safety causes most of your actions to have an above average risk. This is obviously a bad thing, but your character can be just fine so long as they have appropriate reward (high risk, high reward is every bit as good as low risk, low reward), and cost is usually difficult to factor in, but things that make your character good at procuring "resources" are effective ways of lowering the cost of everything. Captain Falcon's new Falcon Kick puts opponents above him giving him the "resource" of good position; that makes the cost of going for, say, Falcon Dive to catch opponents coming down much lower (you aren't wasting something quite as precious if you fail).
[...]
etc etc

Top Bottom