• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Montreal Thread - You better comming!!!1

what do we do now?

• Play Brawl.

Votes: 127 41.4%
  • Play Melee.

Votes: 167 54.4%
  • Steal Airman from the Toronto guys, think about it later.

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVdA9ABzpg

Votes: 19 6.2%

• Total voters

BentoBox

Smash Master
He's the best Falco in Europe from what I've gathered and he is indeed Armada's toughest opponent. (so he says himself)

kr3wman

Smash Master
anything Friday/Saturday/Sunday would be cool.

Just putting it there for people that don't think about it too early

BentoBox

Smash Master
I can see the vBrawl lovers being way more easily swayed into trying out BB over B+ any day, seeing as the core mechanics themselves remain untouched; with less gay. Though we are about to have our first B+ tourney shortly, I can't say if the community is exactly split at this point. I just see people who still enjoy Brawl and people who don't and are open to new things. I thus do foresee both "communities" getting back together if this really takes off as a possibility. /wishful thinking

It doesn't even need homebrew =o

RageKev!

Smash Journeyman
Get them to fix Sheik Jerhoney. thx

Hi Bento =D

I'm officially in Montreal now. I'll be buying a cell phone card in a few days so if anyone wants my number to randombly call to play smash or hang out or whatever, pm me.

A fest soon would be cool.

Edit: I'll be at the weeklies, this time. I'm just too lazy to open the appropriate thread.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
BB looks pretty stupid imo.

You can try and balance a game all you want, there's still gonna be op stuff. More importantly to my argument, however, is that there will still be hordes of people that complain about X character's Y move no matter what. The stuff that needs to be nerfed and the stuff that needs to be buffed is very opinionated, even if they do draw upon many people to decide what changes to make, the masses are not always correct. I mean just look at the world today... most people in the world are religious of old, most people thought the world was flat. They were all dead wrong.

So what I'm trying to say is, even though they will try to balance the games, certain characters will still be good and other characters will still suck. They will attempt to patch the game again only for the same results, maybe getting closer to their goal every time. It will take them far too long to finally reach a balanced game. People have been playing brawl for a while, introducing changes just throws..... Alright I'm sick of writing about this I'm not finishing. I just think it's stupid.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Brawl has been out for more than a year now and the metagame has matured since then; so has the community. Comparatively to B+ where changing the engine itself obviously brings along balance issues which remain to be fixed, mainly due to lack of oversight... in the case of Brawl, it is not much a stretch to acknowledge that some players do know a fair amount about the game and consequently, what is wrong with it. You do not need to be a wizard to acknowledge that some characters do need help, and some of the most obvious of these aspects have been fixed accordingly. It is true that there will always be characters who are worse off, but that isn't the point. The team behind BB isn't trying to create a game where everyone goes 50:50, far from it actually; it simply strives to remove some hindrances that kept the current metagame from evolving and that, frankly, weren't needed. Of course, infinites (D3) and grab release shenanigans (Wario) come to mind. They have also buffed several of the lower tiered character (just look @ the changelist) and they did go through intense play testing before releasing this; it isn't just a mindless attempt @ coming up with a new competitive standard.

The hordes of people complaining about X and Y have little influence over the final outcome anyways as Amazing Ampharos is leading the project and he, along with Thinkaman have the final say on everything. B+ turned out to be pretty stupid (imo) because everybody wanted to have their say. Anyways, as everybody will tell you: play it before judging it. You felt the same way about Brawl+ before (albeit, in its early days), and then what happened?

Agora

Smash Journeyman
They're off to a much better start than Brawl+ was, if you ask me.
Hell, they'd only take away chaingrabs, grab releases, UpB lag and tripping and I'd be sold already. They even fixed banana shenanigans.

swordgard

Smash Hero
They're off to a much better start than Brawl+ was, if you ask me.
Hell, they'd only take away chaingrabs, grab releases, UpB lag and tripping and I'd be sold already. They even fixed banana shenanigans.
I really need to make brawl -.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
I'll try it. Also as far as Brawl+ goes, it's the game I play the least out of the three. An unofficial hacked version of the game will most likely never become as widespread as the official version. I honestly don't believe, however, that it is cgs and grab releases that make the game not fun. It has more to do with the defensive and campy nature of the game. Are they addressing that aspect? I haven't looked into it. I don't necessarily believe that "balance" leads to fun.

BentoBox

Smash Master
A Wario would not have to aircamp you all dai if the reward for grabbing him was less. You are also forced to camp against D3 knowing that one grab can lead to your death (<3 link). The way I see it is that the game is campy by nature exactly because the better characters have disproportioned risk:reward options. You fix that and the game automatically becomes much more dynamic, involving and thus, fun.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Dom will camp your *** all dai unless you have better camping options than him. :p

But in all seriousness, air camping will still be a very rewarding strategy. Camping in general will still be very rewarding, it's not just cgs and grab releases that you're avoiding by camping, it's everything.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Camping also works so well because few characters actually do have good offensive options, or like said I said, decent risk:reward options. Dom likes playing campy and that won't change with BB. There will simply be less reward for playing in such a dull manner. :p (Tilts have been toned down, d-smash was buffed)

Planking was done in Melee. Camping is also feasible with sheik/space animals. It is just so fast paced that you don't notice it, but its there. Camping is not the problem; it is done in every game. One of the most prevalent strats in melee is to dashdance until your opponent ****s up. That is camping. Its what a player can do about it that matters towards balance, and that is what BB tries to fix.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Maybe you're right. I'll try the game for sure, and I'll decide on how I feel about it then.

Agora

Smash Journeyman
LOL.
Check your PMs. I'm looking for BlazBlue games too.

Anyways, lets see how Balanced Brawl is tomorrow so we can have a better idea on what to complain about :).
Wait, Phen plays Blazblue as well? Unexpected!

RageKev!

Smash Journeyman

swordgard

Smash Hero
DO IT F*GGOT

lame censorship is lame

Dom will camp your *** "all dai" anyway. It's just what he does and he does it well.

It'also because he sucks at comboing and mostly at "not getting comboed.

wat

Sucks at not getting comboed? This is brawl +, DI is useless : )

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
He probably figured he was Canadian or something.
Since you didn't specify it in your first post.
chet: this

also I bailed on weeklies again. I'm gonna play melee with jazzy jazz.

*brushes shoulders off*

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Well I'd invite you to my place but I only have a mindgame TV so we gotta find somewhere else to play.

Top Bottom