• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG is extremely irresponsible towards smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.P.I.C. TOM

Smash Ace
competitively.

Just ignore me, as i like to leave key words out of my statements to add excitement to my posts. -facepalm-
I have to say you are wrong in that aspect because there are still people playing GOW competitivley and it has a pretty good scene still. People just wait and good things will come.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
I think it's pretty funny that MLG uses the excuse that "we can't host another game on the pro circuit like smash because it would cost too much". And to make sure that happened, added some ****ty game like WoW or GRAW/Shadowrun.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
There's no way Shadowrun is more popular than Smash. MLG is just ********.

M2K come to the GA tournament. Free money!

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sounds like a John.
And you are who exactly?

More to the point, mistakes happen. Complaining about it like this just makes us as a community look bad. Just forget it, it's really not a big deal that you don't get to watch yourself ****** other pros M2K. When it comes down to it, as one of the best players you should be first in line to acknowledge that sometimes **** happens and let it go instead of creating drama where there shouldn't be any.

I bet this wouldn't even be an issue is MLG had picked Brawl up already. People are just looking for any kind of reason to ***** about them not treating.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Well, unfortunately, in many consumer/company relationships, complaining usually gets you what you want.

However, this isn't the type of scenario where complaining can affect the decisions of the customers that would otherwise deal with them. Halo players will still play Halo at MLG even if M2k is upset with smash.
I think some people are just confused about when and where to complain.

I stopped complaining the moment I realized that Smash no longer had the type of pull to have its community's demands met. So rather than complaining, I hope all you MLG haters are just venting. The latter is more productive than the former.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I have to say you are wrong in that aspect because there are still people playing GOW competitivley and it has a pretty good scene still. People just wait and good things will come.
People still play pacman competitively. That doesnt exactly merit center stage at something such as MLG.

Drephen

Smash Master
Like a gay mexican? Would that mean that Drephen eats pink hot sauce?
yes i do?

a few comments

1.) ROFL @ changing the topic title M2K

2.)
battousai555 said:
Sounds like a John
At no point did i ever make a john, m2k beat me at FCD fair and square (though i've ***** him many times since then (*waits for a stock for stock analysis from M2K about how many times we've actually played lol*))

3.) What happened with that match is that battlefield was not on random for the first stage. Battlefield was our first stage and we started playing but due to the fact that battlefield is usually on for tournaments no one caught it or stopped us. On my last stock watty came up and said "Hey isn't this supposed to be off of random." and i was like "Oh yeah it is" Now normally i woulda just finished the match because its battlefield and IMO should be a neutral anyways, but I was facing M2K. I hate m2k. So i felt no shame and no regret in restarting the set. But M2K won the set anyway so i guess it really didn't matter (but if i would have won i would of argued that **** for forever lol) And like i said before i was ROFL'ing when M2K got all pissy nerdy about it.

4.) Why the hell are people complaining about vids? MLG sponsored FCD. We shouldn't expect anything from them. I agree that if we knew the vids were going to be lost we would have placed the responsiblity of recording into someone elses hands, but **** happens. Its not like "OMG lets screw over smash by not releasing videos" im sure thats not their intentions at all. We should thank MLG for improving the smash community as they have. I think most would agree, that the MLG season was the high point of melee. So M2K i think you should STFU and stop being so selfish and try to represent the whole smash community by not getting your personal vids (im pretty sure you dont care about anyone else's vids considering your first post)

M2K said:
i don't need to say anything else, cept that that's pretty ****ing irresponsible especially considering I think I played really well in the matches that I've been waiting almost a year for
instead of dissing MLG we should be thanking them. And vids are just and extra gift that goes along with tournaments. You won the ****ing tournament anyways and gots tons of money you selfish a$$hole. Stop complaining.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea, then they hired JV to be in charge of the underground circuit. Most of this thread is just *****ing and moaning over...well, nothing.

When Smash was run in 2006, no one complained.
When Smash had an underground circuit in 2007, no one complained.

The only complaints toward MLG are:
-Lost FC vids, and this was likely a problem at a low level on MLG (intern or something, for example, its not like you should expect Sundance to record DVD's, there is no hidden agenda)
-Poorly chosen video winners for the contest, but, they realized this and fixed it partially with community choice voting, so don't say they don't listen
-No Brawl in 2008, but, for some reason I don't think MLG can be faulted here, espcially since none of us knows if Brawl could be picked up, because it is still a possibility, Shadowrun was added halfway through last year and WoW was added just a few days ago for this year, things can still happen.

This is basically an example of how people are biting the hand that once fed them, MLG doesn't owe anything to the Smash community, really, but if we prove our game to be worth it and they pick it up, we owe A LOT to them, and you know what, they did cater to Smash, in 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007.

M2K: Your right, sucks that the vids are lost, things could have been handled better. Mistakes happen. I'm sorry about it, I'm sure JV is sorry about it, and I highly doubt MLG intentionally lost any vids and I'm sure the guys in the video department are sorry about it. However, what can be done? Complaining, especially nonconstructive complaining, doesn't help, doesn't get you anywhere, and just makes you and many of the people posting in this thread look like spoiled children, which, since your one of the top players, poorer reflects on the rest of the community as well.

Not true. Melee wasn't chosen because of popularity, but it become popular as it the scene grew with MLG's help, we would not be where we are today had MLG not been there between 2004-2006. R6V2/GoW are not popular tournament titles, they are popular games, but tournament wise, not so popular. Madden was dropped because of sponsor issues, the sponsor wanted to run their own tournaments and they still do so today.

In other words (in terms of tournament attendance:
MLG 2008L
Halo 3: popular
R6V2: not popular
GoW: not popular
WoW: popular

MLG 2007
Halo 2: popular
R6V: not popular
GoW: not popular
Shadowrun: not popular

MLG 2006
Smash: popular

MLG 2005
Smash: not popular (maybe somewhat later in the season)
random traditional fighters: not popular
AZ I don't think you understand something: this is the internet. You are not allowed to post intelligently and with a level-head. You must stop this logical diatribe and ***** about something insignificant or else face the wrath of the internet gods!

M2K sorry bout your loss bro. I know that sucks. Don't let it get you so bad.

PXG

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played Halo 3 in a while, and after seeing the official MLG rules for Halo 3, I'm glad Smash isn't part of it. They have some very odd policies and rules.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think it's pretty funny that MLG uses the excuse that "we can't host another game on the pro circuit like smash because it would cost too much". And to make sure that happened, added some ****ty game like WoW or GRAW/Shadowrun.
They never said this.

And WoW is paying paid for mostly with sponsors, for example, ALL the computers.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
4.) Why the hell are people complaining about vids? MLG sponsored FCD. We shouldn't expect anything from them. I agree that if we knew the vids were going to be lost we would have placed the responsiblity of recording into someone elses hands, but **** happens. Its not like "OMG lets screw over smash by not releasing videos" im sure thats not their intentions at all. We should thank MLG for improving the smash community as they have. I think most would agree, that the MLG season was the high point of melee. So M2K i think you should STFU and stop being so selfish and try to represent the whole smash community by not getting your personal vids (im pretty sure you dont care about anyone else's vids considering your first post)

instead of dissing MLG we should be thanking them. And vids are just and extra gift that goes along with tournaments. You won the ****ing tournament anyways and gots tons of money you selfish a$$hole. Stop complaining.

You are exactly right.

RDK

Smash Hero
Keep in mind that heads would have most probably rolled if Halo finals vids got inexplicably lost in translation somewhere. The guys have MLG have some hardcore bronze balls to mess with us that way and not expect people to get royally p!ssed about it.

Slayers8anFTW

Smash Rookie
Alright guys, is there really a need to complain about this? The vids were lost, and I admit, had I attended the tournament, I would've loved to have seen the vids over and over again, but we don't always get everything. Also, Brawl is one of the top 3 played ladders on Gamebattles.com (MLG's official online competition site) and I firmly believe that Brawl will see MLG play at the beginning of the '09 season, maybe earlier, but personally I hope not (still way too early in the game's life) think about how long it took for us to get Melee on the roster, but we showed that we supported our game as a community and acted with mature mannerisms. One last thing, then I'll shut up...I seriously doubt anyone important at MLG is going to lose sleep tonight because you're ranting and raving on Smashboards...so don't waste your energy.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
At no point did i ever make a john, m2k beat me at FCD fair and square (though i've ***** him many times since then (*waits for a stock for stock analysis from M2K about how many times we've actually played lol*))
lol

You're some top pro and you lost a match and almost lost a set to a Marth player I consistently defeated 2-0 nine times in a row in sets. You also almost lost to my horrendous-by-top-player-standards Sheik at VLS. Mew2King played the worst I've ever seen him play in recent memory and you still barely won.

Congratulations on beating space animal players when they play like trash and then calling yourself amazing.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol

You're some top pro and you lost a match and almost lost a set to a Marth player I consistently defeated 2-0 nine times in a row in sets. You also almost lost to my horrendous-by-top-player-standards Sheik at VLS. Mew2King played the worst I've ever seen him play in recent memory and you still barely won.

Congratulations on beating space animal players when they play like trash and then calling yourself amazing.
Way to be douchbag on and off the boards.

Drephen claims to be a top pro because he has tournament placings to back it up. All you've ever had is a permanent place on M2K's jock. GG

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Way to be douchbag on and off the boards.

Drephen claims to be a top pro because he has tournament placings to back it up. All you've ever had is a permanent place on M2K's jock. GG
I care so much about your opinion of me.

lol, not really. I argue with M2K about Smash enough. I just agree with him here. He happens to by my friend if you haven't noticed. Also, I've done fine in Melee and I'm doing great in Brawl, so lol @ that dumb comment.

Facts are facts. The stuff I said was true.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
I really do hope MLG picks up Brawl. Some of my favorite Melee matches came from MLG tournaments.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
i doubt it because there gay and Drephen >.>
to tell m2k to stop complaining, wouldnt u be mad if this same situation happened to you? if not then ur dumb :p lolz

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
This is all pretty pointless...

The vids were lost and so they shall remain. What is the point of dragging such a futile case on M2K?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't know, maybe he's upset that MLG poured about 100k or more into the Smash community over the years.

Or maybe he thinks EVO's ruleset is a lot better than anything MLG ran, and you know, the vids EVO put out for their 270 sized event was amazing, at least as long as you spent, what, $50 on a dvd.

Drephen

Smash Master
lol

You're some top pro and you lost a match and almost lost a set to a Marth player I consistently defeated 2-0 nine times in a row in sets. You also almost lost to my horrendous-by-top-player-standards Sheik at VLS.

yep your obviously good. Our match was close? Nope dont seem to remember. Did you make it outta pools at VLS? I can't seem to remember

Inui Gay said:
Mew2King played the worst I've ever seen him play in recent memory and you still barely won.
that sir, is a john

Drephen

Smash Master
i think ur sig tells it all Drephen. And Inui gay? did you make that up, if so that very dumb, sir
yep im havent proven myself in tournaments at all, stfu who are you?

and inui almost beating me is nothing to brag about, anyway we should get back on the subject of MLG and smash (aka M2K complaining about yet another thing) or else this thread needs to be closed

Big_R

Smash Champion
that's funny someone said something about being friends with m2k. life has to suck for that guy. roflz

MLG = Major League Garbage

thats all they are now

I really wonder how you got a chick with THAT kind of booty meat. You lucky *****

I only know 4 girls who've come even close to that. One moved away to Midlothian, Texas, another was some waitress in an Italian Pizza restruant in Italy, One's generally considered a s*** by almost all of my Freshman class, (And is one of my best friends <_<) And the last one I increasingly suspect every day is a lesbian >_<

Alejandro_P

Smash Ace
You all are a bunch of ****ing drama queens. Shut the **** up and deal with it. Be happy with what you have, greedy *******s.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
I know all the people involved with the situation within MLG feel extremely bad about the loss of the FC vids. Especially me. Anytime I tell people something will happen (In this case that MLG would record and post the FC Vids) I take large degree of personal responsibility. During the course of me getting the DVDs to the VoD guys, them getting them to the office, the VoD guys dealing with some immediate work, and then getting back to the whole uploading process the DVDs were probably misplaced and later thrown out. Given that someone snagged my only permenant marker at FC when i was off doing other functions the dvds were mostly unlabeled. So I am sure how you can see if you deal with mountains of DVDs/Content it would be easy to mistake them and accidentally pitch them.

I am not trying to say it is an acceptable thing, but lets keep some perspective here. MLG has had what 15+ other smash tournaments where all the content has gone up. For the last 2+ years it has been completely free and MLG has not charged a dime for it. I/we/MLG allowed much of the content from FC to be streamed live so much of the content did go up.

Lets look at how many tournament circuits that have folded up and never even payed the winners after taking in all the entry money. Does anyone remember Vgames?

MLG has given out an incredible amount of prize money, sponsored 4 smash events in 2007 making no money on any of them, has never had a problem before or after getting the content up, and has consistently has had well run tournaments with good rule sets from the beginning.

But I am not going to get into an entire essay of the things MLG has done. Any person or company is going to make mistakes along the way. Nothing is ever going to be perfect. Honestly, if you have not already, straight up you will learn that is life. So once again I am sorry it happened. However, if you look at the big picture extremely irresponsible towards smash is a pretty crazy thing to say. No one anywhere can argue any one company has done more or more good things for competitive smash or the community than MLG has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom