• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mississippi Thread - MSU Monthlies!

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
D*amnit Daniel, stop telling those f*cking thugs to qiut throwing bricks threw my windows at night. I'm gonna give your money. Can u wait til Tipped off 3. :mad: That's the last time I buy crack from you on credit.
lol, what? I don't know what you're talking about. I SWEAR, OFFICER.

:mad: Still. Where's my ****ing money? :mad:

Also, I think you scared Ken off. Ken I'll probably be in Madison this weekend, if you want to play Friday or Saturday PM your phone number or something.

KenAlleman

Smash Rookie
*Runs away from scary drug dealers*
I was wondering since I have an interview at BCBSMS relatively soon. I'm not in MS now... and if BCBS hires me it'll be after the school year.
I think my interview is Sept 4th (Thursday)... so that may not work with your schedule. *shrugs* was just throwing out a question and seeing what kind of response I would get. =P

ragnarock

Smash Lord
lol, what? I don't know what you're talking about. I SWEAR, OFFICER.

:mad: Still. Where's my ****ing money? :mad:

Also, I think you scared Ken off. Ken I'll probably be in Madison this weekend, if you want to play Friday or Saturday PM your phone number or something.
I'm not gonna scare him off you are. Ken go over daniel's before the weekend and see whats happens. I've heard people start going missing and sh*t if you see his operation. Be the f*ck careful ken.:(

theshortgamer

Smash Cadet
AH! I finally found the MS smash thread. Wish I found it sooner, we got a tourney coming up in a few days in Yazoo City. A lot of us have been talking about hosting a tourney monthly in Yazoo. We have a good number of smashers for such a small town. We even have at least one person that comes up from starkville regularly. I'll see about forming a team here, but since I'm going to be over the coming tourney, I can't participate, so sad.

KenAlleman

Smash Rookie
AH! I finally found the MS smash thread. Wish I found it sooner, we got a tourney coming up in a few days in Yazoo City. A lot of us have been talking about hosting a tourney monthly in Yazoo. We have a good number of smashers for such a small town. We even have at least one person that comes up from starkville regularly. I'll see about forming a team here, but since I'm going to be over the coming tourney, I can't participate, so sad.
Melee, I hope. =)

theshortgamer

Smash Cadet
Melee, I hope. =)
Sorry it's brawl only.

<rant>
As much as I loved Melee, and as much as Samus DIDN'T suck in Melee, Brawl is the new deal and we will all have to move on eventually.
</rant>

Not only that but we don't know what the attendance will be like, nor do we have the time/funds to host separate tourneys(cause I sure would). This tourney is being hosted by a ministry - http://www.thewaycafe.org

After this tourney I'm going to work on hosting my own on a monthly basis probably rent out a meeting room at a local hotel or rent out space at the ministry when they are not using it. This is only IF we can get enough attendance. Other than that we will have to go through the ministry to continue having tournaments, which would probably be the easiest route.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Huh, Yazoo City isn't really all that far... how long is the Brawl tournament going to run, do you think? And how much is the payout?

EDIT: Oh, and what about the ruleset?

theshortgamer

Smash Cadet
Huh, Yazoo City isn't really all that far... how long is the Brawl tournament going to run, do you think? And how much is the payout?

EDIT: Oh, and what about the ruleset?
From memphis? not really. I spend a lot of time with family up in memphis, the drive is 2 1/2 to 3 hours depending on how fast you drive(within speed limits).

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196590

right there is most of the info.

Ruleset is recommended SBR. Except that if we have massive attendance I will have to cut the matches to one round each instead of 2 out of 3 in order to fit the time constraints.
The tourney runs from 6:30pm to 10:30pm-10:45, the sooner everyone arrives the faster we can start.

The reason it's in such a short time frame is because it's being run by a youth ministry and they cater to... youth, who most likely have to be home at a decent time. Any subsequent tourneys will be hosted by me and will last much longer.

Pay out depends on attendence, $3 entrance fee, all entrance fees go towards the payout. We already have about 20 entrants from in town. Math is up to you.

Once this is over I'll keep you guys updated on future SSBB tourneys which will be hosted by myself, at least once a month.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I'll bring it up to Iori, but odds are we're going to pass on this... $50 in gas and 6-7 hours to get there and back, for probably around $50 in winnings doesn't really sound like a great Saturday.
If it was Melee I'd do it no questions asked, but Brawl... meh.

theshortgamer

Smash Cadet
I'll bring it up to Iori, but odds are we're going to pass on this... $50 in gas and 6-7 hours to get there and back, for probably around $50 in winnings doesn't really sound like a great Saturday.
If it was Melee I'd do it no questions asked, but Brawl... meh.
I totally understand not wanting to spend the time and money, it's a bit much considering. However the next tourney will be much less restricted. So I would say to skip this one and come to the next. I can get it organized quickly, I will just need more participants.

What I don't understand is the disdain for Brawl, if tripping were ever taken out. I think it would be just as competitive as melee.

I was a pro at Melee and I lived in Memphis for a year and a half and couldn't find a decent challenge, and didn't have the money to go to tourneys. Now that I have money Brawl is the new deal and I'm excited to find a challenge.

Hopefully I'll see a few of you soon.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I totally understand not wanting to spend the time and money, it's a bit much considering. However the next tourney will be much less restricted. So I would say to skip this one and come to the next. I can get it organized quickly, I will just need more participants.

What I don't understand is the disdain for Brawl, if tripping were ever taken out. I think it would be just as competitive as melee.
I was a pro at Melee and I lived in Memphis for a year and a half and couldn't find a decent challenge, and didn't have the money to go to tourneys. Now that I have money Brawl is the new deal and I'm excited to find a challenge.

Are we serious here? I mean really serious. lol Melee pros who don't go to tournies are obviously amazing. And yes....Brawl is that bad of a game NO joke.

Sorry if this is so harsh....but when you say Brawl is as competitive as Melee without tripping and then say you were a Melee pro without going to any tournies. That is just way too silly. Plus, there is alot of small Brawl tournies being hosted like I have a Play N' Trade tourney near here at the same date. >_>

So to be honest, I don't think anyone would go to those kind of tournies especially a Brawl tourney.

theshortgamer

Smash Cadet
Are we serious here? I mean really serious. lol Melee pros who don't go to tournies are obviously amazing. And yes....Brawl is that bad of a game NO joke.
Well if you're in the vicinity of Yazoo City some time and you feel like seeing if I'm good, drop me a line.

Also Brawl is different and yes some of the differences hinder competition, however it doesn't make Brawl totally inferior, it makes it different.

I understand what people mean though, the difference between a pro and a newb in Melee was a giant chasm that only years of practice could cross. The difference in Brawl is much less severe. Brawl is not a bad game, it's really friggin fun, and it can still be competitive.

Anyway, I choose both I still play Melee once in a while but Brawl is the future of the game which can only be improved. If Nintendo wants to see the competitiveness improved IMO the first major step would be to remove tripping.

You can still enjoy and compete in Melee, it's a great and enjoyable game, but that shouldn't mean Brawl was sent from Satan to destroy the Smash community.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master

It's not disdain for Brawl. I do have disdain for Brawl, but my unwillingness to travel for Brawl comes from me not finding the game fun. With Melee, the car ride and gas money would be worth it because I'd get to play Melee for several hours with lots of people, but there's no driving desire like that with Brawl.

And no, you were not a pro at Melee, especially if you're from Memphis and I don't know who you are. And if you "couldn't find a decent challenge", that means you've never played Chad/Nite/Iori, which are the closest things to Melee pros that we have in Memphis.

theshortgamer

Smash Cadet
Alright guys, you got me. I totally suck at Melee and Brawl is total trash.

Seriously though, if you just want to have some fun one weekend, I'll be trying to get tournaments together for people to have fun. If you hate brawl, don't come. If you enjoy it, do come. I'll try to get Melee in there as soon as I can, but I'm working with what I got.

I'd like to play against each of you when I get the chance, good competition is always enjoyable. Next time I'll be in memphis I'll PM ihavespaceballs and we can set up matches or something.

@3GOD

I can't give his name but if you end up coming to this tourney or a future one I'm sure you could be introduced.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I am no Melee pro, but I had heard all those lines too many times before. I was considering actually going down there, but it is freaken 3 hours away. I thought it was more like an hour and half, but it is twice as long. bleh. Maybe everyone should just meet up in Starkville. only 2 hours yay.

theshortgamer

Smash Cadet
I'll add you to my friends list since I go to Memphis a good bit, if I have time I'll contact you for some games.

I'm counting on 30 people attending this tournament, I'll probably post the results. That is if any of you care about Brawl.

KenAlleman

Smash Rookie
Sorry it's brawl only.

<rant>
As much as I loved Melee, and as much as Samus DIDN'T suck in Melee, Brawl is the new deal and we will all have to move on eventually.
</rant>

Not only that but we don't know what the attendance will be like, nor do we have the time/funds to host separate tourneys(cause I sure would). This tourney is being hosted by a ministry - http://www.thewaycafe.org

After this tourney I'm going to work on hosting my own on a monthly basis probably rent out a meeting room at a local hotel or rent out space at the ministry when they are not using it. This is only IF we can get enough attendance. Other than that we will have to go through the ministry to continue having tournaments, which would probably be the easiest route.
You don't HAVE to move on. Melee is still such an amazing game. A lot of people still haven't stopped playing Melee just because of Brawl. I understand that the tourney is being held by an organization (maybe?) so I guess you're forced to play Brawl if you want to play at all, but one could always host Melee tournaments independantly.
And honestly, even people who prefer Brawl have to admit that Melee is better suited for tournaments. It perplexes me that people actually compete seriously in Brawl after what Sakurai did to the game.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Ken we need to play some time, I'm in Jackson (well, Madison, but it's close to Jackson) almost every weekend, and this week I'm here until Tuesday (Fall break). PM me your number if you want to play.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
ok I made a new account cause I didn't like my old name. . Contact me at this name only please.

Formerly theshortgamer

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
MS is definitely not the best place for Barwl.
I totally agree with that statement. Which is why I've been forced to run tournaments myself.

MS just isn't a gaming friendly state at all. From table top to CCG's to RPG's to video games, this state just lacks...

DarkPhoenix87

Smash Apprentice
New MS smasher

^Gulfport, eh?

I'll be living in Biloxi next year, if you'll still be there in Gulfport I'll be able to play you pretty regularly if you're up for it, since it's not too far of a drive.

Btw, I'm Phoenix everyone, and like I said, I'll be living in Biloxi pretty soon (by February 15th I believe). I've never been to a tournament, but I recently hung out with KOkingpin (Tennessee smasher) and played a couple hours of smash with him. He can vouch for my skill. I'm very dedicated to improving, and I'm looking forward to becoming a regular in the Mississippi smash crowd.

I main Ganondorf and Mario, and I low-tier DK, Mewtwo, and Roy. I also play Doc, Falcon, Falco, Fox, Sheik, Link, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Marth as secondaries. I'm good with a few others; no one worth mentioning, but I'm always improving and expanding my game.

So, this is just me saying hi. I won't be able to play any of you for a while, but if you think the MS area is dry, hopefully this can give you a bit of a reason to keep practicing your Melee.

I also play Brawl and 64, but my main game is definitely Melee.

(I also am interested in Tekken/Soul Calibur if anyone else is, though I'm nowhere near as good in those games as in Melee)

-Chad-

Slackerator
At event 52 I played some Melawl (That would be Melee-Brawl, meaning it had L-canceling and a very bad version of wavedashing. Of course bad wavedashing really means that they can't air dodge through everything forever, meaning pressure actually did something)

It wasn't half bad, cmon hitstun hack.

3GOD

Smash Ace
*In the voice of General Pepper* - WHAAAAT?!?!?!?! Activity in the MS Thread?!?!

I think I'll change the thread title to, "We have returned to Melee" or something along those lines. Maybe it will inspire other states to make Melee a competitive focus again (since MS doesn't ever host).

It's a shame that we have so many people who say Melee is their main game, yet we have no tournaments to bring us all together.

At event 52 I played some Melawl (That would be Melee-Brawl, meaning it had L-canceling and a very bad version of wavedashing. Of course bad wavedashing really means that they can't air dodge through everything forever, meaning pressure actually did something)

It wasn't half bad, cmon hitstun hack.
I'm interested in the hacked Brawl so that I can waveland around on platforms with Wario. How bad is the wavedashing? Is it just different from the Melee version or what?

-Chad-

Slackerator
It's awkward to do to say the least, so I didn't try it too much. But there were about two instances where this other guy wavedashed back to predict my roll and f-smashed me =O and another time I did a sweet waveland from a ledgehop with squirtle.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
might as well just keep playing melee for that...

who thought they wouldn't take out wave dashing anyway? I seriously doubt it was meant to be part of the game at all.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Before Brawl came out, the only way anyone could seriously think of that could get rid of wavedashing would be to fundamentally change the way airdodging worked. Since no one had any ideas on how else it could work, it was assumed that "airdodging into the stage diagonally" would still produce ground momentum.

So now instead of airdodging creating hundreds of relatively balanced attack, defense, and movement options.... it just makes one hideously broken defense option. Great job guys.

Top Bottom