• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Mii Swordfighter Competitive Discussion and Q&A Thread

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
I used Stone Scabbard because I wanted something that be used out of shield to catch people off guard. The thing is the recovery is pretty bad so I made sure to stay at the center of the stage.

I used Power Thrust to cover my movement as the swordsman doesn't really run fast. I also use it to quickly get to the stage when I'm in the air.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I see. Next time use Hero's Spin. It kills at 130%, has the best recovery and hit both sides. I believe Small with Medium Weight is the best Swordfighters. I cannot stand Small and Thin. The hitbox (even though it is an illusion) feels weird to me.

Also, Trieste, what was your overall strategy/playstyle? What were characters you were up against and how did you come victorious? We got an idea with Sonic but who else were there?

Also, thank you for your contribute.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Only tournaments that are following the stupid Apex Rules one, then yes, you are correct. Other tournaments (mainly small or online) have additional options.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
I see. Next time use Hero's Spin. It kills at 130%, has the best recovery and hit both sides. I believe Small with Medium Weight is the best Swordfighters. I cannot stand Small and Thin. The hitbox (even though it is an illusion) feels weird to me.

Also, Trieste, what was your overall strategy/playstyle? What were characters you were up against and how did you come victorious? We got an idea with Sonic but who else were there?

Also, thank you for your contribute.
Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks !

My strategy was to play patient and punish every chance I got. The matches that I was faced were with wario/GnW, greninja, captain falcon/fox, and finally sonic.

wario/GnW was pretty straightforward. greninja was tricky but you just gotta play smart. captain falcon/fox was actually harder than diddy to me but you just have to play territorial and use thows.. My main tip with him to not get grabbed. This is very important. Fortunately most of my opponents didn't know how to react because they never saw a swordfighter before. So I was able to catch them by surprise.

As for sonic... I don't wanna talk about it :facepalm:

However, I can honestly say that you wont see swordfighters winning any tournaments any time soon. I'm gonna keep him as one my pocket characters though.

Yep, anytime man.:chuckle:

Last edited:

Swordmaster

Smash Rookie
Wait seriously? How does that work? Do you drop the on ledge before someone get to it and Ledge attack? I need to try this or need a video
Sorry for the late reply. I think it would work that way. But i footstooled pit grabbed the ledge and used the ledge attack as pit used his up b. He was directly under the ledge so looking at the animation it didn't look like it should hit him. Also it was near the end of the ledge attacks frames.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Hmm... I am trying myself but I cannot seem to recreate this. Perhaps I am doing this wrong. Anyone else has better luck?

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
So, I'm thinking of joining some online tournaments using Mii Swordfighter. Of course, I will have Kirby as a backup or might go full Swordfighter. However, I will like some training or practice with you guys, if you don't mind. As you can tell we cannot use Mii in FG, sometimes my friends are not online, and CPU are not cutting it. Also like some tips on how to improve.

My Skype is chitrima and NNID is Unknownkidx. I will drop my 3ds code once I return home. Thank you.

Edit: 3ds Code is 2466-3948-3191

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Just to let folks know, I too am in the lag working on Mii Swordfighter, but on top of this the online events I host allow for unrestricted Miis for those who want a good place to practice.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Just to let folks know, I too am in the lag working on Mii Swordfighter, but on top of this the online events I host allow for unrestricted Miis for those who want a good place to practice.
I'm assuming they're Wii U only, :/
3DS for life

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Nice! Welcome to the club. What is your set?

I use 2333. Power thrust is neat for roll punishing or off-stage edgeguarding (Do it grounded from the edge)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Reversal Slash is like Cape. Edge-guard trolling like that is too good for me to pass up. And I might just be seeing things but I swear Reversal Slash makes Swordfighter hover more in the air then Mario's Cape.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I use 2222 for the following reasons:

If Miis are only be able to use 1111,2222 and 3333 sets, I'm covered.

SoL is the best projectile of the two availibe for slot 1.

Slash Launcher gives Swordfighter some legit mobility.

Skyward Slash Dash is the best recovery IMO

Reversal Slash is just better as the other two. (Counter is less versatile, while RS is a get off me move too with even more applications, like being a safe reflector)

Just Rainbow Slashed a Level 9 Robin's Thoron. Yesh

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
While Rainbow Slash is more versatile, I have an easier time landing Counter and Killing with Power Thrust than RS. Heck, even Mario's Cape is easier. Maybe it just me....

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
While Rainbow Slash is more versatile, I have an easier time landing Counter and Killing with Power Thrust than RS. Heck, even Mario's Cape is easier. Maybe it just me....
I'm in the same boat as you. I still find landing RS once to be more worth it than landing PT

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Glad I am not the only one. Anyways, we need to go to the lab and figure Swordfighter out. No one else is going to do it. Too many casual players are parrotting what they hear about Swordfighter. It is starting to get on my nerves.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I have a lot of odd random facts about Swordfighter, I should try to compile them and get them posted. I'm not a strong player (hand hands have nerve damage) but I can help out in the lab for sure!

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Glad I am not the only one. Anyways, we need to go to the lab and figure Swordfighter out. No one else is going to do it. Too many casual players are parrotting what they hear about Swordfighter. It is starting to get on my nerves.
not just casuals but the pros who decided to pick "a better character" too

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I have a lot of odd random facts about Swordfighter, I should try to compile them and get them posted. I'm not a strong player (hand hands have nerve damage) but I can help out in the lab for sure!
Sure I love to see what people think or state. Let me get you started:
"Swordfighter is the worst character" (I'm fine with this until proven otherwise. Though, Dapuffster thinks Swordfighter 1111 is better than Brawler 1111. And we all know Swordfighter is not good.)
"He has weak moves, a lot laggy attacks and no (very little) KO moves" (Weak Moves - Compared to everyone else. Sure, I guess they are overall below average. Laggy Attacks - Meh I guess. Depend on the Mii Size. No (Very little) KO Moves - Wrong. Swordfighter has more Kill Moves than Mario with a 1111 set. Of course, I guess one can argue that Mario has better gimp options (Fair, Fludd, and Cape). However, if you need a KO (like 120-130%) then we have more options.

not just casuals but the pros who decided to pick "a better character" too
Yep Yep. That's why we need to show that Swordfighter is not that bad.

Anyways, there is something I need you guys to help me check. I have been spend time reading the Full Frame Data here (I have been working with Kirby's Frame Data too): http://pastebin.com/PzTjdtx8 and look for "miiswordsman"

And one of your moves (most likely Airborne Assault or Gale Strike) is Unblockable Push. See if you can find that for me. I cannot seems to get it to work.

Slash Launcher (???)
Frame 5- 6: 0% 0b/0g 361° 0.0-Hitlag 0.0-SDI Push Unblockable
Disables all ledge grabs on real frame 1
Enables forward ledge grabs on real frame 13

Of course, it is not Sword Laucher (even though Sword Launcher is wonky) and AA information is missing from the list.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Dapuffster will deny every strenght of Mii Brawler until it is part of a unblockable, not dodge able, not DI-able true, killing at 80% Helicopter Kick combo.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I can't say I like 1-1-1-1 swordfighter at all.. Minus his normal b move, that Tornado is pretty sweet. I'm actually finding I just plain LIKE 3-3-3-3 now. Down B can be used like Ganon's to be able to act just off the stage, it can be a nice punish, allows for some cool movement options, I feel silly for having thought the e move was useless before. I also just plain love Chakram, it's kinda easy to bat away but it can east through some moves and cover space nicely. That like, Power Thrusting things can be used to cover a lot of options on the edge when an opponent is covering, the last hit extends JUST far enough to snag people on the ledge. I've even just gone for it in the air and had a good time landing it. Plus that good recovery.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Dapuffster will deny every strenght of Mii Brawler until it is part of a unblockable, not dodge able, not DI-able true, killing at 80% Helicopter Kick combo.
The hell are you talking about? Mii Brawler is easily top 10 in the game, if not top 5. Of course he has strengths. D-throw combos into Helicopter Kick until about 60% that much was obvious. It combos and kills if you grab the opponent at the percent and near the ledge. Any higher than that and he has a harder time killing because he doesn't have that combo anymore. Of course, if the opponent knows this the matchup becomes alot harder. Shiek and Diddy bop him like everyone else because of their better grab game and range.

But anyways this isn't about Mii Brawler, this is about Swordfighter. He's bad but he's not the worst character in the game. D-air is his best move and his 1111 moveset is the most bearable of the 3 fighters. Decent Ike Style recovery with both Up B and Side B, counter is always legit, tornado isn't the best projectile but it can be of annoyance. Unlike Gunner and Brawler, Swordfighter doesn't rely on his specials to be useable.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
In other news, I found out that Stone Scabbard can spike and you can potentially grab the ledge during the spiking animation. I still prefer Hero Spin but the more you know.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
@ Jigglymaster Jigglymaster
Unownkid said:

"Sure I love to see what people think or state. Let me get you started:
"Swordfighter is the worst character" (I'm fine with this until proven otherwise. Though, Dapuffster thinks Swordfighter 1111 is better than Brawler 1111. And we all know Swordfighter is not good.)
"He has weak moves, a lot laggy attacks and no (very little) KO moves"
(Weak Moves - Compared to everyone else. Sure, I guess they are overall below average. Laggy Attacks - Meh I guess. Depend on the Mii Size. No (Very little) KO Moves - Wrong. Swordfighter has more Kill Moves than Mario with a 1111 set. Of course, I guess one can argue that Mario has better gimp options (Fair, Fludd, and Cape). However, if you need a KO (like 120-130%) then we have more options."

This is what led me to my rant, because I thought you thought Mii Brawlers are useless without their best specials.
Because it is exactly like you said.
Brawler doesn't rely on his specials alone (Although Helikick is nice)
He can be high tier with 1111 alone

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
@ Jigglymaster Jigglymaster
Unownkid said:

"Sure I love to see what people think or state. Let me get you started:
"He has weak moves, a lot laggy attacks and no (very little) KO moves"
(Weak Moves - Compared to everyone else. Sure, I guess they are overall below average. Laggy Attacks - Meh I guess. Depend on the Mii Size. No (Very little) KO Moves - Wrong. Swordfighter has more Kill Moves than Mario with a 1111 set. Of course, I guess one can argue that Mario has better gimp options (Fair, Fludd, and Cape). However, if you need a KO (like 120-130%) then we have more options."

This is what led me to my rant, because I thought you thought Mii Brawlers are useless without their best specials.
Because it is exactly like you said.
Brawler doesn't rely on his specials alone (Although Helikick is nice)
He can be high tier with 1111 alone

Well yeah actually, 1111 Mii Brawler is a killer bee without its Stinger and Wings. Useless. His whole moveset is combo food but if he has nothing to use to finish his plate then whats the point? He also can't recover either so you might as well just play Little Mac who should be considered to be a straight upgrade. 1111 Swordfighter at the very least has some kill moves and a recovery compared to 1111 Brawler. Losing Helicoper Kick and Feint jump drops Mii Brawler from Top tier to low-mid, maybe bottom.

B-air kills at 140%, whoopie
Smash attacks are all incredibly slow and punishable
Onslaught is super punishable and reactable

..what does he kill with exactly?

Swordfighter on the other hand, again, can at least kill with U-air and D-air.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Oh hey Dapuff! Welcome to the Swordfighter Club.

I can't say I like 1-1-1-1 swordfighter at all.. Minus his normal b move, that Tornado is pretty sweet. I'm actually finding I just plain LIKE 3-3-3-3 now. Down B can be used like Ganon's to be able to act just off the stage, it can be a nice punish, allows for some cool movement options, I feel silly for having thought the e move was useless before. I also just plain love Chakram, it's kinda easy to bat away but it can east through some moves and cover space nicely. That like, Power Thrusting things can be used to cover a lot of options on the edge when an opponent is covering, the last hit extends JUST far enough to snag people on the ledge. I've even just gone for it in the air and had a good time landing it. Plus that good recovery.
Yep! Power Thrust is pretty awesome. It nullify weak projectiles like Mario and Pikachu's Neutral Bs. I didn't know that last hit extends beyond the ledge. Good to know.
In other news, I found out that Stone Scabbard can spike and you can potentially grab the ledge during the spiking animation. I still prefer Hero Spin but the more you know.
Yep. I figure this out a while ago. Game tips even tell you this. Just make sure you are facing the ledge. You cannot grab the ledge if you are facing backwards from it.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
The hell are you talking about? Mii Brawler is easily top 10 in the game, if not top 5. Of course he has strengths. D-throw combos into Helicopter Kick until about 60% that much was obvious. It combos and kills if you grab the opponent at the percent and near the ledge. Any higher than that and he has a harder time killing because he doesn't have that combo anymore. Of course, if the opponent knows this the matchup becomes alot harder. Shiek and Diddy bop him like everyone else because of their better grab game and range.

But anyways this isn't about Mii Brawler, this is about Swordfighter. He's bad but he's not the worst character in the game. D-air is his best move and his 1111 moveset is the most bearable of the 3 fighters. Decent Ike Style recovery with both Up B and Side B, counter is always legit, tornado isn't the best projectile but it can be of annoyance. Unlike Gunner and Brawler, Swordfighter doesn't rely on his specials to be useable.
One of these days I'm going to get better with U-air to the point that you believe that it is Swordfighter best move.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Hey guys,

So T!mMy and his friends are doing a stream and they do a little tournament among themselves. T!mMy has a really good Swordfighter. So keep a look out for it.
http://www.twitch.tv/gamepadarena
The stream started at 7pm PST. Enjoy and follow the stream.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
ADVANCE THE META PEOPLE!!!

But SmashCapps! That's Link, we play Mii Swordfighter you silly weirdo!

Well my friends, Swordfighter has a jab with the same frames, general animation, and it seems hitboxes. I've been testing this out and have been having success doing this as a standard size Mii Swordfighter too. Maybe my opponent sucks at DI or reacting so I'd love to get this on film and confirmed by another player here. This could give us a very powerful tool!

EDIT: More testing has given me some WEIRD results. Sometimes it's like it's working, others it doesn't wanna. You can even combin it with jab one AND 2 i think on some characters at various percents. This is really cool stuff!

DOUBLE EDIT: Jab 2 can link possibly into up tilt as well as up smash after canceling. Bigger combos at low percents, killing at high percents. I feel stupid for not having tested Mii Swordfighter's jabs before @_@

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I have been trying to do Jab 1, Jab 2, into Utilt while keeping Tap Jump activated (for OoS option). Up smash everytime. Sigh...
Anyways, you can do Fair->FF-> anything. T!mmy does FF Fair into Upsmash to kill someone. It was pretty cool.

Nice lab work, Smash Capps

Top Bottom