• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Mii Swordfighter Competitive Discussion and Q&A Thread

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I have been trying to do Jab 1, Jab 2, into Utilt while keeping Tap Jump activated (for OoS option). Up smash everytime. Sigh...
Anyways, you can do Fair->FF-> anything. T!mmy does FF Fair into Upsmash to kill someone. It was pretty cool.

Nice lab work, Smash Capps
I'm finding it's so hard to manage the up-tilt but man when it goes it can make for sure epic combos. I've been using the Fastfalled Fairs as well, I also like how they can sometimes be used to knock out projectiles while keeping a hitbox in front of you.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
ADVANCE THE META PEOPLE!!!

But SmashCapps! That's Link, we play Mii Swordfighter you silly weirdo!

Well my friends, Swordfighter has a jab with the same frames, general animation, and it seems hitboxes. I've been testing this out and have been having success doing this as a standard size Mii Swordfighter too. Maybe my opponent sucks at DI or reacting so I'd love to get this on film and confirmed by another player here. This could give us a very powerful tool!

EDIT: More testing has given me some WEIRD results. Sometimes it's like it's working, others it doesn't wanna. You can even combin it with jab one AND 2 i think on some characters at various percents. This is really cool stuff!

DOUBLE EDIT: Jab 2 can link possibly into up tilt as well as up smash after canceling. Bigger combos at low percents, killing at high percents. I feel stupid for not having tested Mii Swordfighter's jabs before @_@
Hmm... this seems quite interesting. I'm not too sure of its viability though.

semsomo

Smash Rookie
NNID
semsomo
ADVANCE THE META PEOPLE!!!

But SmashCapps! That's Link, we play Mii Swordfighter you silly weirdo!

Well my friends, Swordfighter has a jab with the same frames, general animation, and it seems hitboxes. I've been testing this out and have been having success doing this as a standard size Mii Swordfighter too. Maybe my opponent sucks at DI or reacting so I'd love to get this on film and confirmed by another player here. This could give us a very powerful tool!

EDIT: More testing has given me some WEIRD results. Sometimes it's like it's working, others it doesn't wanna. You can even combin it with jab one AND 2 i think on some characters at various percents. This is really cool stuff!

DOUBLE EDIT: Jab 2 can link possibly into up tilt as well as up smash after canceling. Bigger combos at low percents, killing at high percents. I feel stupid for not having tested Mii Swordfighter's jabs before @_@
Hey made an account so i can thank you for this, lol

This helps swordfighter be a bit more dangerous in close quarters, for me it seems to work better on heavies like bowser with the jab 2 cancel although donkey kong seems to have less trouble escaping.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Just started really testing swordfighter recently and would like to practice with some peeps :) My Wii U ID is Geek4Jesus

Have we come to a consensus yet on min height/max width or min height/min width? I'm more speed oriented so I would probably prefer the one that gets me moving faster but if the difference is neglible then I don't mind sacrificing some speed for range, etc.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Hmm right now we decided on 1/4 Short Height with Lowest Weight (Slightly slower but a bit of range) , and Smallest Height & Weight (Fastest in speed and startup but lowest range)

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Hmm right now we decided on 1/4 Short Height with Lowest Weight (Slightly slower but a bit of range) , and Smallest Height & Weight (Fastest in speed and startup but lowest range)
Shortest has like no range which makes everything else so much harder.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Just made a Leonardo mii with 1/4 shortest height and lowest weight, also testing Finn the Human (shortest height/normal weight), and Clarence (shortest height/largest weight). Main set is 1223. Kinda has a Captain Falcon feel to it.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Shortest has like no range which makes everything else so much harder.
Well, when you move at the speed of sound (toon Link really), I guess range isn't an issue?! Who am I kidding? This is Swordfighter we are talking about. This is the very reason I make my "main" a 1/4 Short but Default Weight because the Tiny "Knife" bugs the me from hell and back.

Just made a Leonardo mii with 1/4 shortest height and lowest weight, also testing Finn the Human (shortest height/normal weight), and Clarence (shortest height/largest weight). Main set is 1223. Kinda has a Captain Falcon feel to it.
Nice and which one have been giving you best result?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Well, when you move at the speed of sound (toon Link really), I guess range isn't an issue?! Who am I kidding? This is Swordfighter we are talking about. This is the very reason I make my "main" a 1/4 Short but Default Weight because the Tiny "Knife" bugs the me from hell and back.

I personally find it funny to beat up a guy as some ****** with a shank

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
1/4 shortest height with shortest width. I tweaked it some and put it in the pirate costume. I'd been whiffing with the bigger swords a lot and based on the other thread I wondered if it would be easier with a sword that had a design closer to the actual hitboxes.

I personally find it funny to beat up a guy as some ****** with a shank
Actually with a frodo baggins/elijah wood costume it could be a dagger/shortsword...just sayin :)

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Hey is the jab lock still here or was it never here to begin with.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
After someone posted a joke Swordfighter guide, I've been wanting to make a real one.

Problem is, I don't know him anywhere near well enough to...

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
After someone posted a joke Swordfighter guide, I've been wanting to make a real one.

I don't think any of us know enough about them to make a guide about them. I could try... if you want though.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I've been studying a bit.

Was Blade Counter's bucket-brake property already known? I've been testing it with Bob-Ombs in Training Mode and, yup, it cancels all aerial momentum, just like :gw: used to.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I've been studying a bit.

Was Blade Counter's bucket-brake property already known? I've been testing it with Bob-Ombs in Training Mode and, yup, it cancels all aerial momentum, just like :gw: used to.
Damn I wish I can test that right now that looks really useful against heavies.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Update: Unfortunately, it looks like it's a trait shared by all Counter-type moves, not just Swordfighter. It should at least help extend his survivability, though, anyway.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord

Go for it, man. Let's see what I can learn and improve on.

But is it really worth the take if Ike himself outmatches Swordfighter in terms of maximum power output?

I'm currently not so sure if I want to remain using Swordfighter. I mean, I love using Mii, but my playstyle tends to go offensive yet being able to counter. Initially, Ike leaned towards the former whereas my Mii Swordfighter leans somewhere in-between, dishing damage while at the same time having a average speedy counter going on.
But the past few days, what I've gathered from all of this, is that the best way to play Swordfighter is having a maximum speed output and creating traps -- and I don't know if that fits my playstyle.
I want to bring this discuss here because this is what Swordfighter Discussion is for.
Yes, Ike beats Swordfighter in term maximum power output and other utilities. The 1.04 Patch helped Ike a lot. However, Mii Swordfighter has the ability to adjust his speed accordingly (of course sacrificing his range) and switch his kit around. Mii Swordfighter also has projectiles that forced approach, cover his recovery, and can beat other projectiles. Have you tried fighting someone that spam projectiles as Ike? Not impossible to beat thanks to Power Shielding, Jumping, and Rolling but still annoying, right?

One of your sets is 1231, correct?
Gale Strike, Sword Launcher, Hero's Spin, and Counter. You describe this as a hybrid between Link and Ike. Which it is and is a good set.
Gale Strike is your projectile. Eats most projectiles, send your opponents upward, and has a windbox at the end. Apparently, you can use it to cover your recovery since the move stalls SF for bit then you use Hero's Spin to get back. (You mention before and I knew about. Sadly, I didn't think of any applications for it until recently. Thank you!)
Sword Launcher is your gap cover, secondary recovery and escape option (you can briefly change direction which is something Ike cannot do?).
Hero's Spin is your OoS option and primary recovery.
Counter is Counter.

My main set right now is 2231, so our builds are similar. I use SoL instead Gale Strike because I know some small applications with it. But I can switch to 1231 depending on the matchup.

Now, you don't have to use "optimal" set -213X with 1/4 height with thinnest. You see, in the Custom Project people post their diverse sets. Use whatever works for you. If you read though this discussion you will notice how much I changed my views on certain moves. Nothing is set in stone. This is evolving meta-game. You never know, 1111 could be true set in the long run haha.

Last edited:

CrimsonSmasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
NintenJerry
3DS FC
3737-9960-0814
Go for it, man. Let's see what I can learn and improve on.

I want to bring this discuss here because this is what Swordfighter Discussion is for.
Yes, Ike beats Swordfighter in term maximum power output and other utilities. The 1.04 Patch helped Ike a lot. However, Mii Swordfighter has the ability to adjust his speed accordingly (of course sacrificing his range) and switch his kit around. Mii Swordfighter also has projectiles that forced approach, cover his recovery, and can beat other projectiles. Have you tried fighting someone that spam projectiles as Ike? Not impossible to beat thanks to Power Shielding, Jumping, and Rolling but still annoying, right?

One of your sets is 1231, correct?
Gale Strike, Sword Launcher, Hero's Spin, and Counter. You describe this as a hybrid between Link and Ike. Which it is and is a good set.
Gale Strike is your projectile. Eats most projectiles, send your opponents upward, and has a windbox at the end. Apparently, you can use it to cover your recovery since the move stalls SF for bit then you use Hero's Spin to get back. (You mention before and I knew about. Sadly, I didn't think of any applications for it until recently. Thank you!)
Sword Launcher is your gap cover, secondary recovery and escape option (you can briefly change direction which is something Ike cannot do?).
Hero's Spin is your OoS option and primary recovery.
Counter is Counter.

My main set right now is 2231, so our builds are similar. I use SoL instead Gale Strike because I know some small applications with it. But I can switch to 1231 depending on the matchup.

Now, you don't have to use "optimal" set -213X with 1/4 height with thinnest. You see, in the Custom Project people post their diverse sets. Use whatever works for you. If you read though this discussion you will notice how much I changed my views on certain moves. Nothing is set in stone. This is evolving meta-game. You never know, 1111 could be true set in the long run haha.
I don't have to use 1/4 with thinnest but from the data we've gathered by now, it seems that my Max Height Max Weight Swordfighter is just a bad choice. I wish it provided a more radical difference compared to 1/4 Height Min Weight but alas (i.e. possessing some actual range and strength difference).
Still, the Custom Project's deadline is nearing and what if post-Custom Project we find out that Mii Sword's best moveset is no included within the 24 options.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I don't have to use 1/4 with thinnest but from the data we've gathered by now, it seems that my Max Height Max Weight Swordfighter is just a bad choice. I wish it provided a more radical difference compared to 1/4 Height Min Weight but alas (i.e. possessing some actual range and strength difference).
Still, the Custom Project's deadline is nearing and what if post-Custom Project we find out that Mii Sword's best moveset is no included within the 24 options.
Then we'll update it later. We're locking in the project for EVO and losing one sudden good set for the "worst character in the game" (they aren't IMO) is a small price to pay for having customs at the biggest fighting game tournament.
Wow, I keep forgetting it hasn't been a year since Smash 4 came out...

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Usmash is actually a really good move. It has deceptively good forward range (3 stage builder blocks IN FRONT of Guest A, to be specific – same as Ftilt), decent damage, and effective KO power.

Last edited:

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I have this habit of doing a string of jab1+jab2+grab + d or uthrow + aerial (usually into uair or fair, disregard the nair in the gif.) Should I not do this?

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I have this habit of doing a string of jab1+jab2+grab + d or uthrow + aerial (usually into uair or fair, disregard the nair in the gif.) Should I not do this?

I was actually going to recommend that :p

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
Probably really obvious, but jab+jab+Stone Scabbard is a pretty good mixup with the 1111 spread.

I don't know what it is, but I've taken a liking to medium/fat Mii Sword. Possibly because I use SoL on it and don't really have to approach. And SoL seems to do 9% at full range with a fat Mii, as opposed to 8% normally.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Probably really obvious, but jab+jab+Stone Scabbard is a pretty good mixup with the 1111 spread.

I don't know what it is, but I've taken a liking to medium/fat Mii Sword. Possibly because I use SoL on it and don't really have to approach. And SoL seems to do 9% at full range with a fat Mii, as opposed to 8% normally.
I (and I assume a few others) prefer to use the momentum maintained from SoL so the 8% damage is worth the repositioning IMO.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
You can do jab+jab into anything. Of course, it is not a true combo but it strings different moves together. Like Jab+Jab+ Gale Strike or Jab->Jab ->Tilt Chakram -> Grab for combo or UpSmash for kill.

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
Fought a few matches on Anther's with 1111 50/50.

While I don't mind the 1111 (although I'm not a fan of how limited the options are), I find that 50/100 height/weight feels... better, somehow. Whatever mobility changes there may be seem to flow a bit better, in my opinion. Perhaps the jump isn't as high? Or perhaps the double jump flows into a fair better as a follow-up? I can't quite pinpoint the difference.

Although it's quite possible I'm just used to different move sets.

I thought it over and I think I know what it is. While the air game takes a hit from the poor jump height, the ground game receives a buff since you can land much more quickly under your own control. It's also much more difficult for opponents to land since they have less room to fast-fall past you with a dodge, or they risk getting punished from landing lag.

Since projectiles and utilt/Fsmash are some of Mii Sword's better tools, being grounded more often helps a lot in racking up damage. True you can't follow up as immediately, but if Mii sword is better defensively then it's moot.

The only drawback I've found is the inability to land uair with a heavy Mii. However, I can land Fair rather consistently.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Soo... How good are you guys with your up air traps?
I need work :\

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Think I will run with smallest weight and default height. Gonna use Swordfighter in an upcoming tourney this saturday.

2133 will be my set.

No counter picking.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
You Mii Swordfighters need to start coming out to some online tournaments. I know they can't substitute for real life, but it's an excellent way to try out how you can do in tournament with the character without a ton of pressure or commitment.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Soo... How good are you guys with your up air traps?
I need work :\
Terrible. Up Air hits is funky. I wish I can use my Sword Fighter in For Glory. At least I can learn what I can and cannot do against certain players.
Think I will run with smallest weight and default height. Gonna use Swordfighter in an upcoming tourney this saturday.

2133 will be my set.

No counter picking.
Sounds good. It is a really good set. Don't be afraid to switch to Marth if you are not feeling confidence with the matchup. I do this all the time at my custom tournament on Fridays or Saturdays. I used Kirby to seal the deal. Swordfighter for training purposes. Good Luck and Have Fun! Oh... is the tournament being streamed? I will like to add more videos to the Swordfighter video thread.

You Mii Swordfighters need to start coming out to some online tournaments. I know they can't substitute for real life, but it's an excellent way to try out how you can do in tournament with the character without a ton of pressure or commitment.
I wish but I afraid I cannot do Sundays.

With the Mewtwo Update around the corner, what kind of buffs that you guys wish Swordfighter should get?

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
Endlag reduction. That's about it, really. Marth/Lucina would benefit heavily from endlag reduction on their movesets as well. As it stands I'm leaning towards Swordfighter already being better than Marth/Lucina (What has Sakurai done to you two?) if only because Sword has access to some very useful projectiles.

I really don't know what Sakurai's beef is with long-range characters being slow in spite of their range not benefiting them that much. Except Shulk, for some reason. Weird.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I just want one of two things:
Make Swordfighter's reward on hit be as much as the lag on his moves
Make his moves less laggy to reflect that ridiculous endlag on most of him moves

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Debating between 2213 and 1212 for EVO sets. I'm getting a lot of feedback that shuriken of light is preferable to gale strike but curious as to why specifically. B-down isn't as crucial for me.

Nerdicon

Smash Journeyman
Can we just agree that Mii Swordfighter needs to be banned?
His reach is too good and has some of the best kill moves in the entire game
Not to mention the infinite on half the roster
His projectiles need to be toned down a bit as well, especially the Chakram
That is all

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Debating between 2213 and 1212 for EVO sets. I'm getting a lot of feedback that shuriken of light is preferable to gale strike but curious as to why specifically. B-down isn't as crucial for me.
Gale Strike has more startup and ending lag than SoL. Both good at harassing but SoL is better at harassing your opponents at a distance and easier for punishing for teching/dodging incorrectly. Gale Strike does the most damage at up close and becomes weaker over time to a mere windbox whereas SoL is exact opposite. It does the most damage from a distance (Less that Half of FD) and flinches.

I treat SoL like a weird Falco with Mario's Fireball Air Drift mechanic. You can your opponent to approach you or can kind of approach them with it.
Gale Strike, on the other hand, is a wall of hitboxes that beats a lot of projectiles and can position your opponent either above or away from you. You either need to shield it, full jump over it or time your spotdodge. In most cases, players don't know what to do against it.

Personally, I firmly believe Gale Strike require a little more expertise than SoL. Like really! SoL is easy mode - Shoot it and your done whereas Gale Strike - what distance do I need to be at to hit them with the windbox. Even to this day, I still don't have it down. But I am currently learning to combine Gale Strike with Basic Attacks specifically Jab 2 and add to my list of mix ups.

Anyways, I advise you to test them yourself. Play a several matches with friends or Ladder and see what give you the best results. Ask you opponents what they think gave them the most trouble or was annoying/"broken" - Gale Strike or SoL. Then go from there. Nothing set to stone. You might change most people mind on Gale Strike.

Can we just agree that Mii Swordfighter needs to be banned?
His reach is too good and has some of the best kill moves in the entire game
Not to mention the infinite on half the roster
His projectiles need to be toned down a bit as well, especially the Chakram
That is all
Ban Shaq first then we will talk about Swordfighter.

Top Bottom