• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mewtwo Q&A Thread (Check Here)

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
As I recall, Rock Smash doesn't break shields (unless the shield has been significantly damaged) and is unsafe (even after the shattered rock pieces). Grabbing out of shield should work in some instances. Maybe Fair or Nair OOS can work as well.

Confusion is good too, but I don't think it's an option that you just throw out on reaction.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
For the record, Charizard is the only character I have JV 3 stocked. It wasn't on FG either. I have also never lost to my college friends Charizard. (He's PR'ed 4th or something)

PEACE7

Smash Champion
I feel stupid for not thinking about that thanks guys I'm going to have to do some testing.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Confusion is good too, but I don't think it's an option that you just throw out on reaction.
Confusion is frame 12, IIRC? Rock Smash is double that, so you can, I imagine.

Anyways, another random question for you guys. I know, silly stuff, but knowledge is power, as Sir Francis Bacon once said. I've read Mewtwo as a solid footsies character. Yay or nay? I ask because he certainly feels like it with his walk speed and DTilt.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Confusion is frame 12, IIRC? Rock Smash is double that, so you can, I imagine.

Anyways, another random question for you guys. I know, silly stuff, but knowledge is power, as Sir Francis Bacon once said. I've read Mewtwo as a solid footsies character. Yay or nay? I ask because he certainly feels like it with his walk speed and DTilt.

It is frame 12, but factoring in reaction time (around 12-13 frames, IIRC) and maybe input delay, it's not particularly easy to do on reaction. If you predict a Rock Smash, then go with Confusion.

EDIT: I guess on reaction, you can hit the projectiles back at him if you are spaced well enough.

Yep, he's pretty much a footsies character. Always been one, but with his buffed ground speed and walk speed, he can play footsies better. :)

Last edited:

Bigfoothunter

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mastawoo3
As much as I hate to admit it, I've been REALLY struggling with the little mac matchup. I know all you gotta do is gimps but I struggle with everything before I can set that up.
If I approach, I eat an armored fsmash and die at 50%, if I shield too much it just gets broken by downward fsmash, and he can just spam that good ol frame 1 jab so I have a hard time punishing.
Any tips on just other options I have for counterplay? I hate losing to Macs at my weekly I host that I really should be beating consistently.

Sonicninja115

Stick to the side of the stage and use SB, mini or otherwise. Make sure to mix it up and stop at the appropriate distance. NEVER approach him with a Grab or DA. Only if you have a reliable set-up or strong read. Stay at the ledge, as it makes Smash attacks decidedly less safe. Try to read his habits.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I realized something earlier about Little Mac. Me and a friend had discussed that Mac actually plays like a boxer. You gotta know when to throw the right punch and when to be patient.

Well, the opposite is also true. The opponent has to play it like a boxing match as well. You have to know when to bait an attack and when to throw in your own. Keep mac guessing. If you have him offstage try to bait the counter. Play keep away as much as possible. Whatever you do don't just charge in recklessly or you will get KO'd! (Haaaa I'm funny)

Last edited:

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
Hello fellow Mewtwo players, the Wario boards are currently discussing the Diddy MU, click here:4wario: to join the conversation ;3

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Why are you inviting Mewtwo players to get involved with a match-up discussion not concerning them at all?

I'm not mocking or anything I'm curious if that happens often.

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
What are some good mobility exercises esp. that I can do in training mode? One my main problems with Mewtwo is that I can't really get him to go exactly where I want/expect. But I see established Mewtwo mains moving and floating around gracefully, something I'd like to be able to do.

Also, what are some tips for safely landing? (other than to go for the ledge, which AFAIK applies to all characters generally) I have tried to use confusion stalling for a mixup, but it seems that even if it makes the opponent whiff a move, by the time the move is over and I land they're able to attack again.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

What are some good mobility exercises esp. that I can do in training mode? One my main problems with Mewtwo is that I can't really get him to go exactly where I want/expect. But I see established Mewtwo mains moving and floating around gracefully, something I'd like to be able to do.

Also, what are some tips for safely landing? (other than to go for the ledge, which AFAIK applies to all characters generally) I have tried to use confusion stalling for a mixup, but it seems that even if it makes the opponent whiff a move, by the time the move is over and I land they're able to attack again.
Now, for moving here is what I suggest. Practice various technical movement options. Learn foxtrot/Foxtrot dancing, Dash-Shield, Phasing and other easy stuff. You probably already know these, but here is what I do. I use all these things in TM. I just Foxtrot around, mixing it up with Phase Uairs/fairs and all those other simple movement options. This will help you get used to simply using them whenever you need to. Also, practice U-turn and walking, as U-turn can be useful and walking is a GDLK ability. Eventually, once you learn stuff like PP and LC, implement those into your practice. It shouldn't take more then a couple of weeks to become proficient with the easier movement options.

For the second part, there is a gigantic mistake I often see even in the best players. They use confusion with FH distance of the ground. This enables the opponent to easily punish you without over-committing. Using it higher up will force the opponent to land it they want to combo you. Chances are that whatever single aerial they can get out of a DJ isn't going to harm you that much. Also, teleporting into the stage can be a really good mix-up option. Better then one would think as the opponent is going to approach the spot where they believe you will land.

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
Now, for moving here is what I suggest. Practice various technical movement options. Learn foxtrot/Foxtrot dancing, Dash-Shield, Phasing and other easy stuff. You probably already know these, but here is what I do. I use all these things in TM. I just Foxtrot around, mixing it up with Phase Uairs/fairs and all those other simple movement options. This will help you get used to simply using them whenever you need to. Also, practice U-turn and walking, as U-turn can be useful and walking is a GDLK ability. Eventually, once you learn stuff like PP and LC, implement those into your practice. It shouldn't take more then a couple of weeks to become proficient with the easier movement options.

For the second part, there is a gigantic mistake I often see even in the best players. They use confusion with FH distance of the ground. This enables the opponent to easily punish you without over-committing. Using it higher up will force the opponent to land it they want to combo you. Chances are that whatever single aerial they can get out of a DJ isn't going to harm you that much. Also, teleporting into the stage can be a really good mix-up option. Better then one would think as the opponent is going to approach the spot where they believe you will land.
Awesome, I really appreciate it. It sounds like all that should definitely help.

SubconsciousRose

Smash Cadet
Quick and simple question since can't seem to figure it out on my own

How do you do turn around down tilts as Mewtwo quickly after using Down Tilt in one direction?

Using down tilt multiple times in one direction is very quick but I can't seem to do a turn around down tilt without it taking what seems like a longer time than it should. I'm usually totally fine doing things like turn around jab quickly with a character like Rosa so I'm wondering if there's some different way of doing a quick turn around with down tilt that I don't know about.

Sonicninja115

Quick and simple question since can't seem to figure it out on my own

How do you do turn around down tilts as Mewtwo quickly after using Down Tilt in one direction?

Using down tilt multiple times in one direction is very quick but I can't seem to do a turn around down tilt without it taking what seems like a longer time than it should. I'm usually totally fine doing things like turn around jab quickly with a character like Rosa so I'm wondering if there's some different way of doing a quick turn around with down tilt that I don't know about.
My suggestion is Tiltstick. You can press left/right and then c-stick Dtilt to switch directions. Also, it is quicker to cancel Dtilt into another Dtilt then it is for a movement option. Or at least it seems that way.

SubconsciousRose

Smash Cadet
My suggestion is Tiltstick. You can press left/right and then c-stick Dtilt to switch directions. Also, it is quicker to cancel Dtilt into another Dtilt then it is for a movement option. Or at least it seems that way.
Been using tilt stick for a very long time but when I input another after hitting the opposite direction on the main stick, I just get another dtilt in the direction I'm already facing though.

Sonicninja115

Been using tilt stick for a very long time but when I input another after hitting the opposite direction on the main stick, I just get another dtilt in the direction I'm already facing though.
You cannot buffer the input. The last input made will always be buffered over any previous inputs, this is what makes certain tech hard. So, you have to close the time as much as possible to get as little lag as possible. Another technique is what I like to call Dtilt walking, where you continuously hold forward, and Dtilt whenever you start to move. Very good for pressure.

HipsterBlastoise

Smash Rookie
Okay I tried to make the title as clear as possible, i have recently found out a combo/mixup? for metwo.

The combo/mixup is like this.

Jab1-Disable (wait for stun animation to end)- Jab1-Jab1-Disable (wait for stun animation to end)- Jab1-Jab1-Disable.....etc

Why do you have to wait? The thing is, if you disable; there is a set time for disabling and stunning again. Apparently if you disable, wait and hit the opponent with the first hit of jab 2 times, you will be able to stun them again with disable.

Okay so from my little testing, i have found out that this does not work all the time with fast-fallers. It seems to work with Heavy's and Medium's.

Sonicninja115

Okay I tried to make the title as clear as possible, i have recently found out a combo/mixup? for metwo.

The combo/mixup is like this.

Jab1-Disable (wait for stun animation to end)- Jab1-Jab1-Disable (wait for stun animation to end)- Jab1-Jab1-Disable.....etc

Why do you have to wait? The thing is, if you disable; there is a set time for disabling and stunning again. Apparently if you disable, wait and hit the opponent with the first hit of jab 2 times, you will be able to stun them again with disable.

Okay so from my little testing, i have found out that this does not work all the time with fast-fallers. It seems to work with Heavy's and Medium's.
Jab-Disable works if the opponent tries to attack out of Jab. However, Jab-Jab can be easily broken, and is even less consistent then Jab-Disable. I would suggest sticking with Jab-Disable if you regularly attend tournies, otherwise, if you are a WiFi player, then it might work.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Is there a graphic or something else which indicates how disjointed Mewtwo's Dtilt is?

Although the move loses to short hops, MK's neutral game plan involves staying on the ground as much as possible, so I would like to know how difficult M2's Dtilt would be to whiff punish with MK's own Dtilt, for example.

Mewtwo and MK's Dtilts have IASA frames which are when you can input other actions (moves, jumping etc.) and cancel some of the move's ending animation. Turning around does not count as such an action, so you have to wait for the whole animation to play out before you can turn around (and Dtilt the other way). I encountered this the other day as well, it's weird and kinda annoying.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Is there a graphic or something else which indicates how disjointed Mewtwo's Dtilt is?

Although the move loses to short hops, MK's neutral game plan involves staying on the ground as much as possible, so I would like to know how difficult M2's Dtilt would be to whiff punish with MK's own Dtilt, for example.

Mewtwo and MK's Dtilts have IASA frames which are when you can input other actions (moves, jumping etc.) and cancel some of the move's ending animation. Turning around does not count as such an action, so you have to wait for the whole animation to play out before you can turn around (and Dtilt the other way). I encountered this the other day as well, it's weird and kinda annoying.
Don't have an image but only the tippity tip is disjointed.

:150:

Sonicninja115

About 40% of the tail has a hurtbox. However, considering how the tail swings, Dtilt has a pretty large hurtbox.

The best methods to punish it are shieldgrabbing a Base Dtilt or Dash attacking a whiff. If you get the cross up, you could probably safely use DA if you have to shield as well. Because Mewtwo's OoS options suck horribly.

At the same time, make sure to lab Dtilt punishes. Mewtwo doesn't have that many options in general, as his rolls are slow, and he doesn't have OoS options. Try to find out a vortex, as I am sure MK can set one up. Probably DA/dash grab.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
About 40% of the tail has a hurtbox. However, considering how the tail swings, Dtilt has a pretty large hurtbox.

The best methods to punish it are shieldgrabbing a Base Dtilt or Dash attacking a whiff. If you get the cross up, you could probably safely use DA if you have to shield as well. Because Mewtwo's OoS options suck horribly.

At the same time, make sure to lab Dtilt punishes. Mewtwo doesn't have that many options in general, as his rolls are slow, and he doesn't have OoS options. Try to find out a vortex, as I am sure MK can set one up. Probably DA/dash grab.
DA is a commitment though. It's not as safe as people think, I'm pretty sure you have enough time to drop shield, turn around and Dtilt MK before he can bring up his shield. It should hit because of Dtilt's range. Ftilt should work as well although I am less sure, I think the cutoff is 12f moves (with enough range).

As a result being able to whiff punish with Dtilt would be more ideal. Which, if what you say is true, should be very possible. Incidentally I am working on Dtilt traps and stuff at the moment. I'll be sure to work hard on them in case I face KJ at some point lol.

Thanks for the info (& Y2Kay Y2Kay ).

D

Deleted member

I feel like I'm slipping with Mewtwo lately, but don't let him go. I need advice on how to play neutral better with him. What moves shouldn't I overcommit to specifically? I find mysekf running too much and bring predictable with baby Shadow Balls.

Sonicninja115

I feel like I'm slipping with Mewtwo lately, but don't let him go. I need advice on how to play neutral better with him. What moves shouldn't I overcommit to specifically? I find mysekf running too much and bring predictable with baby Shadow Balls.
Try checking out my guide, I have a section on it. Otherwise, I am not an expert in that area, so sorry.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What the heck did I do here?
https://youtu.be/devxv6gzRNE?t=34s
Reversed areial momentum by charging shadow ball? How does this work?
It's called "b-reversing", done by quickly inputting the opposite direction after a neutral b input in the air. Everyone can do this, though some get more out of it than others. That ZSS you fought could also have done it with her Paralyzer, for instance.

Last edited:

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
Is there any way for Mewtwo to get out of Ness' wall of fairs, or is this usually a true combo on Mewtwo?

Sonicninja115

Is there any way for Mewtwo to get out of Ness' wall of fairs, or is this usually a true combo on Mewtwo?
Don't you just DI up or Back? I don't play any ness mains offline, but I am pretty sure this works. The main problem is that Uair trues on Up DI and Back, but that isn't as bad as Fair strings.

Gemba Board

Smash Apprentice
Alright guys I have a landing lag question. I've looked into kuroganehammer's frame data for mewtwo but I can't seem to find the landing lag for his airdodge. I know most characters in the game have 22 frames of landing lag for airdodge with a few exceptions (zss at 15f). I was wondering if mewtwo fell into the standard 22f or if he's been blessed with better frames. Thanks and sorry if this is obvious to you guys, but I just recently got into mewtwo.

Sonicninja115

Alright guys I have a landing lag question. I've looked into kuroganehammer's frame data for mewtwo but I can't seem to find the landing lag for his airdodge. I know most characters in the game have 22 frames of landing lag for airdodge with a few exceptions (zss at 15f). I was wondering if mewtwo fell into the standard 22f or if he's been blessed with better frames. Thanks and sorry if this is obvious to you guys, but I just recently got into mewtwo.
I believe he has standard. KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer ? Is there a list of airdodge landing lag?

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
What's the most efficient option to 2-frame for Mewtwo?

Sonicninja115

What's the most efficient option to 2-frame for Mewtwo?
On the other hand, Bair is pretty nice since it is active for quite awhile, whilst Nair only hits once every 3 frames. Preference really. Timing and stuff like that.

Top Bottom