• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mewtwo Q&A Thread (Check Here)

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
How do you do the dtilt to DJ upair combo? I've tried just faster inputs but the DJ is always late.

Also how can you setup the fair death combo off the side? I always seem to miss it slightly.
Put Mario at 40% and then Base or Tail Dtilt him. Forward DI negates the combo, unless you do it nearly frame perfect and move forward. Basically, you have to mash Jump, but only twice and then buffer a Uair to get it to true. Eventually, you will get the timing down and won't have to mash. It is just a really fast and kinda difficult.
Hey I remember reading somewhere in this boards a post that explained completely how Nair works, but I can't find it again, be it in the combo thread of in the stickied guide.

Anyone knows what I'm talking about ?
http://smashboards.com/guides/mewtwos-nair-knockback-and-all-of-its-uses-and-forms.856/
It is my guide, and we have too many stickied threads all ready. It should be listed in the useful threads thing.

I moved it out of the stickied guide when I made it into it's own.

Last edited:

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys use the c-stick for? Smash or tilts?
And another question, is perfect pivoting still good for people like me that insist on keeping the c-stick to smash?
And an even dumber question, what are the uses for perfect pivot in mewtwo's case?

Sonicninja115

What do you guys use the c-stick for? Smash or tilts?
And another question, is perfect pivoting still good for people like me that insist on keeping the c-stick to smash?
And an even dumber question, what are the uses for perfect pivot in mewtwo's case?
Hey man! I have an answer to the last question in the end area of my guide, section 6 I believe. In brief, they are insanely good.

They are still usable with smash stick, but PP spacing is going to be a tad harder, not much, just a tad.

I prefer C-stick tilts because of the freedom it gives for tilts. Especially Utilt. Also, smash stick causes your momentum to break whenever you input a move. Small thing really.

I can give a link, but the guide is stickied soooo...

Sonicninja115

What Smash attack is stronger with no rage and with rage? charged and uncharged?
I have kill percents with DI and without in the guide. I should make a complete list of stuff....

Anyways, IIRC, Dsmash is stronger then Fsmash, but is much worse when DI'ed.

Last edited:

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
Oh my bad, I was just wondering because when I get disable on Falcon at 80% midstage I can't decide which would be more optimal for a medium-heavy fast faller. Cerulean guide right?

Noge

Smash Cadet
Why is Mewtwo not Top Tier?

Okay, sorry xD... I mean, it's really hard for me to win a single match against this character :l
I normally play as Ike or Pikachu and during the battle I feel quite forced to rush into him, but like 60% of times I aproach he does just destroy me,,, I dont know if you can give me any tip about something so general but, which good ways to aproach do I have?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Okay, sorry xD... I mean, it's really hard for me to win a single match against this character :l
I normally play as Ike or Pikachu and during the battle I feel quite forced to rush into him, but like 60% of times I aproach he does just destroy me,,, I dont know if you can give me any tip about something so general but, which good ways to aproach do I have?
As Ike, you have the power advantage at the extent of your range, so approach calmly and use your longer-ranged moves to tag him before closing in further. Try not to let shadow balls, charged or otherwise, get to you.

Sonicninja115

Does anyone have the visual hitboxes of Mewtwos Dsmash?
Do you mean something different then Furils stickied thread?

As Pika, remember that Mewtwo's fastest option is frame 5, with his fastest OoS option being frame 6. Look into your shieldstun data an find out what is safe. Punish and bait out confusion. QA around. Mix it up and never get predictable.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Do you mean something different then Furils stickied thread?

As Pika, remember that Mewtwo's fastest option is frame 5, with his fastest OoS option being frame 6. Look into your shieldstun data an find out what is safe. Punish and bait out confusion. QA around. Mix it up and never get predictable.
no worries dude Metalex got me already!

http://i.imgur.com/dhS611z.gif

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Kind of a harder question but how can I try to be less reliant on dtilt and sh fairs in neutral? I never really find too much of a use for nair unless it's in a combo. I use shadowball but i go either too much or not nearly enough.

Other than ledge options I feel this is where I'm just barely scraping by and honestly can determine games.

Last edited:

Bigfoothunter

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mastawoo3
On the topic of Dsmash, after looking at the hitboxes, would it be able to get a 2-Frame Punish or just hit people hanging from the ledge in general? I just keep hearing varying information on it so just wanna clarify.
Unless of course there's a better move to use in that situation? Dtilt maybe?

Sonicninja115

On the topic of Dsmash, after looking at the hitboxes, would it be able to get a 2-Frame Punish or just hit people hanging from the ledge in general? I just keep hearing varying information on it so just wanna clarify.
Unless of course there's a better move to use in that situation? Dtilt maybe?
Dtilt can, but on a stricter portion of the cast. Dsmash and Dair are the general go-to options.

Bigfoothunter

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mastawoo3
Thanks for clearing that up!
Also, I don't know if there's already a post for this so I'll ask here. I spent some time labbing and making a list of all the characters that can still land on the bottom platforms of battlefield after being hit with confusion,(allowing for follow-ups or stocks depending on % if no tech) and those that can be hit with Dsmash when standing under said platforms (if mewtwo uses Dsmash while standing on the platform). I could make a thread about it if it seems useful enough to anyone.

Zivhayr

Smash Rookie
I remember months ago confusion was patched so that it didn't put enemies above platforms so that they need to tech. Seems that got reverted, since it's working when I tested today. When did this get changed, and what exactly changed?

Sonicninja115

I remember months ago confusion was patched so that it didn't put enemies above platforms so that they need to tech. Seems that got reverted, since it's working when I tested today. When did this get changed, and what exactly changed?
It only works on about 25% of the cast now.

Onoh

Smash Cadet
NNID
benclaremom
I know nair can be used for some footstool combos on Sheik and it can also lead into other moves as well. I'm having trouble getting the opponent on the side I want them on, whether they go in front of or behind Mewtwo. Is there any easier way to tell than just guessing and reacting to which side they will be on?

Sonicninja115

I know nair can be used for some footstool combos on Sheik and it can also lead into other moves as well. I'm having trouble getting the opponent on the side I want them on, whether they go in front of or behind Mewtwo. Is there any easier way to tell than just guessing and reacting to which side they will be on?
Please go to the guides tab and find smash 4 Mewtwo. I have a guide on it there.
Is there a list of these characters anywhere? I'm testing now, wondering if I should bother posting my findings.
Hasn't been compiled, so go for it!

kiddo805

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but any tips on landing the footstool -> DJC Disable? I always seems to do the disable a bit too high, above the other player. Any help is appreciated! :cheep:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
kiddo805 kiddo805 Sounds like you just need to do the inputs faster. It's jump 2 times (jump, footstool) and then you need to double jump and do disable at almost exactly the same time to cancel it as low as possible.

One reason you might be struggling with this is because it takes a little bit of time to jump with your thumb from (assuming you use a GC controller) the:GCX:or :GCY: button to the :GCB: button which can be just enough for your DJC Disable to not come out early enough.
A solution some people use to make it easier is remapping one of the shoulder buttons L,R or Z to Jump since you can then jump and press Down B for the disable at the same time using the shoulder jump button. Hope this helps!

Zivhayr

Smash Rookie
So before I forget just gonna post the results here.

Characters that land on top of battlefield platform when confusion is used underneath:
Peach, wario, zss, marth, duck hunt, falco, charizard, ness, olimar, lucina, mega man, lucas, cloud and roy

Also works on Lylat when standing on the middle facing toward the outer platform. Doesn't seem to work on any other stage. Perhaps in the Duck Hunt tree, but didn't bother testing that at all.

Sonicninja115

So before I forget just gonna post the results here.

Characters that land on top of battlefield platform when confusion is used underneath:
Peach, wario, zss, marth, duck hunt, falco, charizard, ness, olimar, lucina, mega man, lucas, cloud and roy

Also works on Lylat when standing on the middle facing toward the outer platform. Doesn't seem to work on any other stage. Perhaps in the Duck Hunt tree, but didn't bother testing that at all.
Is it okay for me to put this info in the guide? I will credit you of course.

kiddo805 kiddo805 Try not moving your thumb down and instead shifting it. So instead of moving your thumb down to hit the B button, try just turning your thumb sideways and hitting it with the side of your thumb. (Assuming X/Y to jump)

Last edited:

Bigfoothunter

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mastawoo3
I already have a list of the characters Dsmash on platform works on, but feel free to test it again:
- Ganondorf - Samus - Zero Suit Samus
- Marth - King Dedede - R.O.B.
- Captain Falcon - Wii Fit Trainer - Bowser
- Rosalina & Luma - Donkey Kong - Bayonetta
- Link (Animation) - Ike (Animation) - Sheik (Animation) *Animation means they can only be hit during parts of their neutral animation due to hitbox shifting, so not reliable*
Also add Robin to the confusion platform list btw, I have him down on my list as well, but can confirm the rest are correct.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Aside from his lack of weight, what other weaknesses does M2 have (I hear his OoS options are subpar)? Trying to learn this character and practice him, and I'm just curious to know what all his limitations will be.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Aside from his lack of weight, what other weaknesses does M2 have (I hear his OoS options are subpar)? Trying to learn this character and practice him, and I'm just curious to know what all his limitations will be.

Notable weaknesses include:

• Less-than stellar frame data. Far from bad by any means, but fighters like Mario and Sheik will have little trouble overcoming Mewtwo in close quarters.
  • Lack of immediate combo breakers. He doesn't have too much trouble when it comes to landing with varied movement options, but he needs some space to do it, which at low percents likely won't happen until you've taken the brunt of your opponent's combos.
  • His tall size makes him an easier target.
  • His recovery, while excellent in distance and extremely varied, can be gimped if your double jump is sniped below the stage. In addition, his standard ledge getup options leave something to be desired (but can be mitigated with smart use of specials).

Sonicninja115

adding on a bit. He only has one amazing combo breaking option in Airdodge, which comes out frame 2. However, airdodges are easily read. So it becomes meh without anything else supporting it.

Ledge options are a large weakness, but can be somewhat overcome through use of high level AT like LLG. Still theorizing on that last point.

Zivhayr

Smash Rookie
Also add Robin to the confusion platform list btw, I have him down on my list as well, but can confirm the rest are correct.
They're on my list too, I must have missed it when listing the characters. Cheers for the correction.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
I haven't read the whole thread, so pardon my ignorance here.

Is UTilt > FH NAir > FAir/BAir a legit combo, or is that just a setup? In fact, should it even work?

Sonicninja115

I haven't read the whole thread, so pardon my ignorance here.

Is UTilt > FH NAir > FAir/BAir a legit combo, or is that just a setup? In fact, should it even work?
It might be. I think it works rather well, but only on certain hitboxes. Maybe Metalex Metalex knows.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
LordShade67 LordShade67 At 0% Dtilt > Utilt > Nair > Fair/Bair is a legit combo provided you hit with the Utilt hitbox that knocks the opponent up above you so Utilt > Nair > Fair/Bair should definitely be too!
Im not sure about the exact percents for this though but i think it combos at low to low mid percents.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Metalex Metalex Ah, cool. Good to know. It didn't seem like it in Training Mode, but to be fair, the combo counter has its....issues.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
So, I've been watching some Rich Brown and Mew^2 matches and I noticed one blatantly obvious thing that perplexed me: they both constantly use down-throw once they get a grab (obviously unless up-throw will kill or nearly kill).

I get that it can be decent for getting a follow up, but wouldn't down-throw be better as a mix-up rather than an all the time thing? I always use forward-throw because of the 13% it gets me every time I land a grab.

Three questions: Why do they never go for forward-throw? Is the chance of getting a follow up off of down-throw worth it rather than the more consistent damage of F-throw? Is down-throw worth using as a mix-up option?

EDIT: Just saw Mew^2 use F-throw against a Mac to get him off stage so I can't say he never uses it. :happysheep:

Last edited:

Bigfoothunter

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mastawoo3
So, I've been watching some Rich Brown and Mew^2 matches and I noticed one blatantly obvious thing that perplexed me: they both constantly use down-throw once they get a grab (obviously unless up-throw will kill or nearly kill).

I get that it can be decent for getting a follow up, but wouldn't down-throw be better as a mix-up rather than an all the time thing? I always use forward-throw because of the 13% it gets me every time I land a grab.

Three questions: Why do they never go for forward-throw? Is the chance of getting a follow up off of down-throw worth it rather than the more consistent damage of F-throw? Is down-throw worth using as a mix-up option?

EDIT: Just saw Mew^2 use F-throw against a Mac to get him off stage so I can't say he never uses it. :happysheep:
The benefits of F-Throw are usually one of two things:
A) The 13% ofc, and B) Enough time to get a decently charged shadowball.

The biggest downside to F-Throw is that it can be DI'd at mid-to-high percents so that not all the shadowballs hit, cutting almost half of the damage. At that point D-Throw is not only more reliable for damage, but puts them in a disadvantaged state where you can possibly follow-up, read an airdodge, do platform locks, etc. At a certain point it just becomes a better option, but F-Throw is still good for lower percent damage yes.

Also on that topic, where has Mew^2 been? I haven't seen him listed on a Shockwave for months, or even his brother, did he move or something?

Sonicninja115

The benefits of F-Throw are usually one of two things:
A) The 13% ofc, and B) Enough time to get a decently charged shadowball.

The biggest downside to F-Throw is that it can be DI'd at mid-to-high percents so that not all the shadowballs hit, cutting almost half of the damage. At that point D-Throw is not only more reliable for damage, but puts them in a disadvantaged state where you can possibly follow-up, read an airdodge, do platform locks, etc. At a certain point it just becomes a better option, but F-Throw is still good for lower percent damage yes.

Also on that topic, where has Mew^2 been? I haven't seen him listed on a Shockwave for months, or even his brother, did he move or something?
Mewsquared has been lost to pokken...

PEACE7

Smash Champion
What's our best option against Charizards RockSmash? Do we have anything that beats it without trading?

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
What's our best option against Charizards RockSmash? Do we have anything that beats it without trading?
Confusion. It's a command grab, so it catches Zard out of his armor. It also reflects the shattered rock pieces since they're technically projectiles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom