• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mewtwo Q&A Thread (Check Here)

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Are you treating this as gospel? Don't fall into the trap of assuming that all pro players know everything. This is just based on matchup charts created by pro players (who don't know every single matchup in the game) and in some cases, the discord community for each character when there isn't enough representation of said character. And not all pro players agree on some matchups. Sol's matchup chart is a big example (Little Mac +3 over Doc, Ganon and Bowser LOL). That chart looks lovely though.

Regarding your video, what I saw was ESAM capitalize when M2K was off stage, and outplay M2K. Pika's normals lose to Cloud's normals, and he struggles to get in. ESAM had to work much harder than M2K did to get hits. Posting a video where a Pikachu wins against Cloud without ANY kind of analysis doesn't do much.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Are you treating this as gospel? Don't fall into the trap of assuming that all pro players know everything. This is just based on matchup charts created by pro players (who don't know every single matchup in the game) and in some cases, the discord community for each character when there isn't enough representation of said character. And not all pro players agree on some matchups. Sol's matchup chart is a big example (Little Mac +3 over Doc, Ganon and Bowser LOL). That chart looks lovely though.

Regarding your video, what I saw was ESAM capitalize when M2K was off stage, and outplay M2K. Pika's normals lose to Cloud's normals, and he struggles to get in. ESAM had to work much harder than M2K did to get hits. Posting a video where a Pikachu wins against Cloud without ANY kind of analysis doesn't do much.
Quote from reddit:

"Cloud and pika on stage is slightly in cloud favor, but pika only needs cloud off stage once with no limit to take the stock. And a two stock meta really emphasizes that. Pika needs to do much less work to kill cloud, and pika can play around some of cloud biggest stengths easily, such as limit camp (Quick attack) and juggling (pika has no problems landing with moves like quick attack and skull bash). So Cloud needs to work to win the neutral and get good punishes, which because he has a giant ass sword, isnt too hard to do, but when looking at off stage play, cloud can't easily ensure a gimp or a limit cross slash kill because of pika's huge variety of recovery. Basically, Pika can hold his own on stage long enough to get cloud off stage and win. Obviously there is more to the match up than just a number but thats the reasoning of the +1 for pika in a nutshell."

Also ask nearly anyone on the Cloud or Pika board, they'll say its Pika's favor or at worst even.

firstbones

Smash Rookie
NNID
firstbones
i don't like the "cloud gets gimped so he loses the mu" argument, but it's pretty relevant in the pika mu considering the rat might very well be the best gimper in the game. that esam-m2k set is a good example, but really just look up any esam vs cloud set and notice how cloud dies everytime he's sent offstage. it's actually dumb.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
i don't like the "cloud gets gimped so he loses the mu" argument, but it's pretty relevant in the pika mu considering the rat might very well be the best gimper in the game. that esam-m2k set is a good example, but really just look up any esam vs cloud set and notice how cloud dies everytime he's sent offstage. it's actually dumb.
Not dumb, its a point, its one of the main reasons Mario isn't completely -2'd by Cloud or Sheik and Bayo win solidly against Cloud.

firstbones

Smash Rookie
NNID
firstbones
Not dumb, its a point, its one of the main reasons Mario isn't completely -2'd by Cloud or Sheik and Bayo win solidly against Cloud.
i meant dumb as in "great" dude. also the bayo-cloud thing is debatable
edit: what's that mario-sheik thing you just said lol

Last edited:

firstbones

Smash Rookie
NNID
firstbones
Gimping is why Mario can do alright against Cloud, and its also why Sheik wins over Cloud soundly.
oh i thought you were randomly referring to the sheik-mario mu my b
btw it's not the only reasons but yeah

Top Bottom