• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mewtwo Q&A Thread (Check Here)

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Uh, so I'll have to switch my controls around to do it right? I am too use to the standard controls,
Switching would be the most "optimal" way. It might be possible with standard, but I don't know. If you are able to pull it off, then you should be fine.

Sonicninja115

Could Mewtwo rise to top 3-5 like some top players say he is?
First I've heard of top 5... Was it thoughtful thinking or salty groaning? Anyways, there is the possibility. However, the top 5 are really good. Cloud, Shiek, Mario, Rosa and Fox are all amazing characters. Then, you remember that you have Sonic, Diddy, Bayo, and the outliers, Marth and Ryu. Like, top 7 is all super tight. I have to say that M2 and Bayo are about the same level. Either one could advance, but it depends on the continuation of our metagame, and the stagnation of the others.

I dunno.

Sonicninja115

I was watching abadango and he did a dtilt to footstool on a sheik, can anyone give me more info on this combo?
Yes. It is rather simple, but hard to pull off. The Dtilt-Footstool is as simple as any footstool, but because of the low KB of Dtilt, it is pretty easy to get it regardless of DI.

Otherwise, the best follow-up is a Double Jump Cancel Shadowball to get the jab-lock. Afterwhich, disable and do whatever you want.

TheException

Smash Rookie
I've been struggling against small characters, Cloud, and Diddy. I've been trying a bunch of random characters for them like Metaknight and Fox but can't seem to find what would be a good combination to deal with these characters

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
I've been struggling against small characters, Cloud, and Diddy. I've been trying a bunch of random characters for them like Metaknight and Fox but can't seem to find what would be a good combination to deal with these characters
Megaman is an amazing secondary for Mewtwo because he covers the Diddy matchup but there's a drastic difference between the two so it may be a bit hard to get used to

TheException

Smash Rookie
Megaman does win the matchup as far as I know but Cloud isn't much trouble for Mewtwo in the first place. For him and small characters you kind of just need to learn the matchup.
Yeah for small characters I just remembered that you need to do lots of phasing against them which I haven't done in awhile. Idk why I asked about Cloud because I haven't actually been losing to him. Could you share some knowledge on how to beat small characters?

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
Depends on the small character... Shadow ball is extremely effective vs Kirby, but not so much vs Lucas, etc etc. Who is giving you trouble?

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Hey Mewtwo Mains! I've been thinking a lot lately on making Mewtwo a possible secondary to help out my Mega Man instead of just only playing him just because I enjoy playing him whenever. I have some important questions that I would really like to know and would be extremely appreciative if someone can help answer these.

1. How good and popular is the :4megaman:/:4mewtwo: pair amongst Mega Man and Mewtwo mains on a competitive level?

2. What is Mewtwo's main gameplan and any adaptive gameplans in case his main gameplan gets somewhat nullified or even completely falls apart?

3. How good are Mewtwo's neutral, advantage state, disadvantage state, and how good is he in clutch situations?

4. How well does Mewtwo do against :4mario::4fox::4pikachu::4sheik: and also :4bayonetta:(She's not that bad when I'm playing as Mega Man. I just hate fighting this character regardless of whom I'm playing as.)?

5. What are some other things I need to be aware that not a lot of people may know about that should know like any advanced techniques for example? It can be anything really.

Thank you!

Troykv

Smash Master
I have a weird question...

What is exactly Mewtwo's niche/theme?

What exactly makes him special? I need to know it to avoid mistakes in an article that I plan to do.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Was on FG the other day to try and get some of the rust off of me and I fought a Yoshi for quite a bit. Used Mewtwo against him a few times and I went for an fthrow but he double jumped out. I recall hearing about Yoshi being able to do that but it got me curious if other characters had means of avoiding the shadow balls of fthrow.

I was able to get Yoshi to double jump out but I also tried Bayo's airdodge to see if her f1 Bat Within would kick in along with the up b's of Little Mac and Marth and Jigglypuff's Rest. Also tried another Mewtwo's airdodge since it becomes intangible frame 2. Wasn't able to get any of them to work though. Is Yoshi the only character with a means of escaping fthrow? I didn't try Ryu but his true Shoryuken is intangible on frame 1 too.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Was on FG the other day to try and get some of the rust off of me and I fought a Yoshi for quite a bit. Used Mewtwo against him a few times and I went for an fthrow but he double jumped out. I recall hearing about Yoshi being able to do that but it got me curious if other characters had means of avoiding the shadow balls of fthrow.

I was able to get Yoshi to double jump out but I also tried Bayo's airdodge to see if her f1 Bat Within would kick in along with the up b's of Little Mac and Marth and Jigglypuff's Rest. Also tried another Mewtwo's airdodge since it becomes intangible frame 2. Wasn't able to get any of them to work though. Is Yoshi the only character with a means of escaping fthrow? I didn't try Ryu but his true Shoryuken is intangible on frame 1 too.
Shield Shulk can via airdodging, Greninja has SSHC, it never fully combos Bowser, and Fox can SDI I think?

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Shield Shulk can via airdodging, Greninja has SSHC, it never fully combos Bowser, and Fox can SDI I think?
First one makes sense since the throw portion of fthrow would be weakened by Shield making the shadow balls not connect, Greninja's makes sense too given how that tech works. Bowser is a surprise to me and I just tested it and you're right. Is it his Tough Guy thing? Like, I get that the throw portion is weak but even things like fireballs eventually cause him to flinch as his damage goes up. Fox is kinda a surprise too although his high fall speed would make that plausible.

Any idea why Yoshi can get out with his f1 super armor double jump but other characters with f1 aerial options can't? Or maybe they can and I just suck at timing it.

godogod

Smash Ace
So this just happened last night against a friend(Mewtwo vs Peach) online. He recorded it on his wii u(via replay I'm assuming), and I saw the same exact thing.

https://gfycat.com/MadPitifulIchneumonfly

edit: nvm asked about this on gamefaqs, and someone said I was buffering, which was inputting a move 10 seconds before the curent move ended to immediately execute the second move after the first one ends.

It makes sense.. Been trying it on training mode and its pretty hard to do with a single jump trying to do it at the apex of the jump while covering as much distance as possible with neutral air so I have enough time and minimum verticial height from the ground to execute forward air before it gets canceled/ unable to do at all. I know what animation to forward air on the ending of neutral air.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
How in the ever-loving baby Jebus do I fight Ganon, Little Mac, Kirby (surprisingly) Ike, Bowser, DK, Cloud, Corrin, Robin, Link, and Ryu?

Last edited:

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
How in the ever-loving baby Jebus do I fight Ganon, Little Mac, Kirby (surprisingly) Ike, Bowser, DK, Cloud, Corrin, Robin, Link, and Ryu?
Never get struck, sometimes strike back.

Ganon, Ike, DK, and Bowser, keep them at arms length. Spam SB for zoning and Fair when they approach. Tilts on parade.

Link, Ryu, Robin, Cloud and Corrin, you will need to be extremely manoeuvrable and know your limits. RESPECT LINKS DEADLY DISJOINTS.

Little Mac - get him off the edge. You are the god of off-edge and he is not.

Kirby - use your speed, and precisely space tilts.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
What's giving you trouble?

:4kirby:: Run away, down tilt, up tilt (occasionally).

:4myfriends:: Shield his aerials and run away. Don't get too predictable with mini fireballs or down tilt or you will get hit. Fair when you can.

:4link:: Pay attention to his zoning habits, especially with bombs. Try to catch them or reflect them. Throw Shadowballs. Fully charged ones beat his projectiles. Respect his disjoints and aerials. Mix up your landings against him.

:4dk:: This isn't easy to be honest. Run away as best as you can and shield if you get in range of his attacks. Watch out for his bair and dash attack. Pay attention to the DK's grabbing habits. Make sure to have fully charged Shadowballs on deck.

:4corrinf:: You should be able to punish her side b mixups after shielding it. The jump variation has a lot of recovery so punish it with Fair if you see it. Once again, PS if you get in their range. Don't spam down tilt as Fair will probably beat it.

:4wiremac:: Shield dash attacks, punish him severely with down tilt into stuff, capitalize when off stage or when he is in the air.

:4bowser:: He doesn't have a lot of safe moves and his landing options are weak so practice punishing him when he throws out aerials. Don't get too greedy when attempting to juggle him as he can just yolo dair or yolo down-b. Try to stay out of his grab range at all times.

:4robinf:: Reflect her projectiles or throw fully charged Shadowballs, respect her fair and punish her aerials OOS as they are not that safe.

:4cloud:: Throw mini shadowballs to stop him from charging. Be wary of Cloud's spacing on Nair as it isn't always safe. Juggle him if you get a hit with down tilt.

:4ganondorf:: Whiff... punish...his...moves...or...bait...him. Don't go ham against him at all or challenge his range.

:4ryu:: Same as above, but it's a bit harder because he is harder to punish on shield and he is more mobile than Dorf.. Focus Attack is really gimmicky and loses to multi-hit moves (hint, Nair, Up-Smash).

All of these matchups require Mewtwo to run away and whiff punish hard, which he can do well against these characters.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
What's giving you trouble?

:4kirby:: Run away, down tilt, up tilt (occasionally).

:4myfriends:: Shield his aerials and run away. Don't get too predictable with mini fireballs or down tilt or you will get hit. Fair when you can.

:4link:: Pay attention to his zoning habits, especially with bombs. Try to catch them or reflect them. Throw Shadowballs. Fully charged ones beat his projectiles. Respect his disjoints and aerials. Mix up your landings against him.

:4dk:: This isn't easy to be honest. Run away as best as you can and shield if you get in range of his attacks. Watch out for his bair and dash attack. Pay attention to the DK's grabbing habits. Make sure to have fully charged Shadowballs on deck.

:4corrinf:: You should be able to punish her side b mixups after shielding it. The jump variation has a lot of recovery so punish it with Fair if you see it. Once again, PS if you get in their range. Don't spam down tilt as Fair will probably beat it.

:4wiremac:: Shield dash attacks, punish him severely with down tilt into stuff, capitalize when off stage or when he is in the air.

:4bowser:: He doesn't have a lot of safe moves and his landing options are weak so practice punishing him when he throws out aerials. Don't get too greedy when attempting to juggle him as he can just yolo dair or yolo down-b. Try to stay out of his grab range at all times.

:4robinf:: Reflect her projectiles or throw fully charged Shadowballs, respect her fair and punish her aerials OOS as they are not that safe.

:4cloud:: Throw mini shadowballs to stop him from charging. Be wary of Cloud's spacing on Nair as it isn't always safe. Juggle him if you get a hit with down tilt.

:4ganondorf:: Whiff... punish...his...moves...or...bait...him. Don't go ham against him at all or challenge his range.

:4ryu:: Same as above, but it's a bit harder because he is harder to punish on shield and he is more mobile than Dorf.. Focus Attack is really gimmicky and loses to multi-hit moves (hint, Nair, Up-Smash).

All of these matchups require Mewtwo to run away and whiff punish hard, which he can do well against these characters.
Here's whats troubling me
:4kirby:NO landing lag and grabs don't give a damn what I do
:4myfriends:I can't challenge his range ever, I'm usually always stuck shielding
:4link: I have problems punishing a lot of his stuff out of shield.
:4dk: Mewtwo can't kill early on him, mewtwo dies at 50. I myself am not good at challenging things.
:4corrin:Advice Above helped
:4wiremac:I cannot land, he covers way too much distance when I'm charging the shadow ball, I'm NOT good at gimping.
:4bowser:Same as DK only a little worse.
:4robinm:Idk why I put him here when I made my original comment.
:4cloud:Only thing I hate is his range in general.
:4ganondorf:I'm not good at playing the defense game, I'm usually always the whole always follow the opponent type. That's why I can't stand this MU.
:4ryu: Combos4dayz. Also I hate killing him when true shoryu kills at 60 on us with rage and he can use it out of almost any of our combos after he hits the 100% mark and we have a little rage.

Last edited:

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
For landing issues, use a fakeout teleport manoeuvre: ie, fall left and when you see him dash in to punish, teleport down (to the ground) and right. In fact, being able to teleport to ground whenever/wherever you damn well please, is very useful against most players (who don't know the value of walking).

For the big tough guys, you need guerrilla tactics. do a little damage, and retreat. don't get greedy, since you cant afford to be punished and take damage. Luckily, their big moves tend to be quite laggy and punishable Shadow-ball is your friend.

If Kirby's no landing lag is giving you grief, practice sidestepping out of the way once he commits to his aerial and following up with a Dtilt, Utilt, or even Fsmash. He has little landing lag, but once he has committed to Dair you can usually tell where he will land it. He has no range. You have range. He is super slow. You are super quick. Just be patient.

Ryu and Cloud will probably be the toughest to crack. I usually just fall back on shadowball and patiently looking for an opening to use SHADFF Nair/Fair without getting hit. every Ryu/Cloud is different and I have never found a solid strategy beyond extreme caution.

Most of mewtwos game is trying not to get hit, really. And timing sick dodge-and-punishes.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
maybe at low%?

...but in that case you probably aren't going for the kill and instead are setting up for more damage. I have been working on using Utilt to launch upwards, then jump up and bait the airdodge as they think I am U-airing... but rising Dair them instead. Just for the lolz really.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
maybe at low%?

...but in that case you probably aren't going for the kill and instead are setting up for more damage. I have been working on using Utilt to launch upwards, then jump up and bait the airdodge as they think I am U-airing... but rising Dair them instead. Just for the lolz really.
I can usually bair or FH nair.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
So, I've been looking for a reliable co-main/secondary. Thus far I've turned to :4mewtwo::4metaknight:or:4greninja:. I came here, as I've been told :4mewtwo:is a common secondary for :4marth:/:4lucina: mains and vice versa. I'm basically wondering how well :4mewtwo:really covers their MU's. That, and if he can be played aggressively in a reliable manner. Any and all help here is greatly appreciated.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
So, I've been looking for a reliable co-main/secondary. Thus far I've turned to :4mewtwo::4metaknight:or:4greninja:. I came here, as I've been told :4mewtwo:is a common secondary for :4marth:/:4lucina: mains and vice versa. I'm basically wondering how well :4mewtwo:really covers their MU's. That, and if he can be played aggressively in a reliable manner. Any and all help here is greatly appreciated.
Mewtwo covers their bad MU's extremely well, as he wins against Sheik, and goes even or wins against Sonic.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
So with spring getting closer, I'm finally gonna be able to get my g2 and a vehicle within the next few months and then I plan on attending tournaments every other week in Ottawa. I'm fully content on having Mewtwo as my main (I was afraid of his meta devolving to that nair infinite much like how MK's devolved to just the uair ladder before it got patched) and I wanna get myself ready.

What are Mewtwo's main bread and butter combos that I should get comfortable with? Namely against the top and high tiers which have a variety of weight groups. What are his best stages and his worst? Is there anything in particular that I should watch out for as an M2 player? For example, I see all too often that Diddy is one of, if not, M2's worst mu and I've read on the cci that Sheik apparently still has a 50/50 on Mewtwo thanks to the way his double jump works? Might be able to avoid it by inputting dj and then air dodge but you can't buffer 2 options at once like that so it requires timing. Any tech that I should get comfortable with? I know there's Shadow Ball breversing and wavebouncing and also Teleport ledge cancelling. I should mention that I'm also trying to make use of the bidou control scheme and it actually feels quite natural to use (although it makes playing Melee a pain since I often press :GCY: to grab).

Less important but I may as well ask this too, who is a good secondary for M2? I'm most comfortable with these characters :4marth::4lucina::4feroy::4cloud2: and am debating giving these characters a try :4mario::4fox::4ryu:. I still want to put my main focus on Mewtwo and even see about grinding out the Diddy mu and any other negative mu rather than go straight to a secondary but I should probably have a second viable character to practice with just in case.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Krysco Krysco In the secondaries department, I'd say :4marth: or :4cloud2:. Cloud's a solid secondary in general, though he doesn't really cover Diddy depending on who you ask(he IS the go-to for Dubs, though). Marth does well against Cloud(Not that :4mewtwo: does that bad against him unless you're Rich Brown, apparently.) and maybe Diddy? I dunno.
:4lucina: Might can work, but most of the time, I feel like :4marth:'s worth more of the investment.
:4feroy: is frankly not gonna do you any favors. Contrary to what some people think(I won't say any names but you know who you are), he is **NOT** a Top 25 character and does not cover M2's MUs.
:4mario:Dunno about his Diddy MU, but he loses to Cloud, IIRC.
:4fox:No idea.
:4ryu: Also no idea.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Out of those characters:
:4cloud:,:4marth:... that's about it. :4mario: does well against :4diddy: but he struggles against characters with safe-ish disjoints/range.

TarriestMetal27

Smash Rookie
I really don't understand how to beat these guys with Mewtwo. I tried getting Bayonetta as a secondary, but she just didn't click. Should I get another secondary or should I find a way to beat them with Mewtwo.

Sonicninja115

The only truly hard MU is Diddy kong, otherwise, everything is winnable. I would suggest thinking over what is punishable, how to punish it and what options you need to avoid/how to DI them. It's kinda basic information for me to give, I know. But this is a solid template to use
TarriestMetal27 TarriestMetal27

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I really don't understand how to beat these guys with Mewtwo. I tried getting Bayonetta as a secondary, but she just didn't click. Should I get another secondary or should I find a way to beat them with Mewtwo.
I would say a good secondary is Pikachu, he does well against Diddy and wins against Cloud, Cloud isn't much of a problem since thats even, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents.

Sonicninja115

Does Mewtwo have potential to be top 5? Or will he stay 9-10th forever?

Alsodoublepost.-.
No problem! i believe that the top 5 are pretty set in stone. M2 has too many meh mu's to climb over mario, cloud or shiek.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Does Mewtwo have potential to be top 5? Or will he stay 9-10th forever?

Alsodoublepost.-.
No. Characters like Sheik, Diddy, Sonic, Bayo, Cloud, ZSS, etc. have more going for them or are less vulnerable.

No problem! i believe that the top 5 are pretty set in stone. M2 has too many meh mu's to climb over mario, cloud or shiek.
I think Mario is the worst of the Top 10, just behind Mewtwo actually. His poor range and lack of kill moves (even factoring for rage) hinder him.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
No. Characters like Sheik, Diddy, Sonic, Bayo, Cloud, ZSS, etc. have more going for them or are less vulnerable.

I think Mario is the worst of the Top 10, just behind Mewtwo actually. His poor range and lack of kill moves (even factoring for rage) hinder him.
But that's just crazy. But hey, you can keep wavering your funny opinions around.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
But that's just crazy. But hey, you can keep wavering your funny opinions around.
? What's crazy? Mario being the worst of the Top 10? Not really. I gave you brief reasons why he is not Top 5 material. A few Mario players think that he will struggle in the meta as long as there are characters like Cloud, Marth, Sonic, etc. I actually think he does alright vs. Cloud but he still has issues with safe-ish disjoints.

Considering that you said Pikachu does well against Cloud (lol), I'd be hesitant to say that I have funny opinions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom