• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mewtwo Q&A Thread (Check Here)

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Not only is it a mindgame but remember that Mewtwo can actually throw Shadow Ball faster from a charge stance. As such you can bait out an air dodge and throw Shadow Ball right afterwards (frame 6, as fast as a jab or D-Tilt).

It's something I don't use enough anymore, although I did use it more back in the day. Should probably start getting that into my gameplay again.
Raykz, does the SB hitbox start behind Mewtwo? Because he is charging it there, so is it possible to have a frame 6 smash attack so to speak. I saw Abadango charge it at the edge with an opponent on the ledge, except he was facing the stage, thus, the thought struck me.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Raykz, does the SB hitbox start behind Mewtwo? Because he is charging it there, so is it possible to have a frame 6 smash attack so to speak. I saw Abadango charge it at the edge with an opponent on the ledge, except he was facing the stage, thus, the thought struck me.
I actually have no idea. I doubt it though. I'll test it tonight.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I have definitely hit an opponent who was right close behind me when I launched FCSB before, but this could be a function of recoil rather than the hitbox beginning slightly behind mewtwo .

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I have definitely hit an opponent who was right close behind me when I launched FCSB before, but this could be a function of recoil rather than the hitbox beginning slightly behind mewtwo .
Yes, from my tests:

Throwing it while on the ground with an opponent behind you will not hit the opponent unless he somehow extends his hurtbox inside Mewtwo. I tried it while walking into Mewtwo and it still wouldn't hit.

In the air the recoil makes Mewtwo go inside the opponent and land the SB.

Also on the edge if your are doing the charge animation the opponent will stand up in front of you if they do regular getup or attack getup (although you must shield the attack getup), so maybe Aba was doing it so he could get a backthrow out of it (or a FCSB is they roll).

Damandatwin

Smash Apprentice
How do you do this?

I can't figure it out. I know you can cancel his DJ momentum with his specials but when I try to do it with shadow ball I go way higher than he does in the video.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
How do you do this?

I can't figure it out. I know you can cancel his DJ momentum with his specials but when I try to do it with shadow ball I go way higher than he does in the video.
You cannot cancel the getup jump, you have to double jump before doing Shadow Ball.

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
if i know a mewtwo is going to jump from the ledge and side b, how would i punish it?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
if i know a mewtwo is going to jump from the ledge and side b, how would i punish it?
Do you mean let go and Side-B or do a Jump Getup and Side-B?

If he is going to let got and Side-B into the stage and you know he is going to do that it is extremely easy to just walk out of range and then punish with a Smash or Aerial. If he is going to Jump Getup into Side-B then there's about 20-30 frames of startup in this action, you can definitely Smash him before he gets the Side-B out, otherwise you could just duck under the Side-B since he will be very high in the air and then punish with an aerial.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
since this is a Q&A board i was wondering if any one can confirm that the combo dtilt>fair>nair works on characters like fox and jigs? because at the moment i know it works on heavys but not mediums or light.

Sonicninja115

since this is a Q&A board i was wondering if any one can confirm that the combo dtilt>fair>nair works on characters like fox and jigs? because at the moment i know it works on heavys but not mediums or light.
Dtilt-Fair, and then a FF Nair. So a chain?

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Has anyone had any luck getting the timing down for mewtwo’s instant ledge grab? I have been practicing it with a few characters, but i cannot seem to get with mewtwo.

Sonicninja115

Has anyone had any luck getting the timing down for mewtwo’s instant ledge grab? I have been practicing it with a few characters, but i cannot seem to get with mewtwo.
Do you mean the run-off-FF-FF Cancel thing? Mewtwo has a really hard time doing it. I prefer to either use LC or simply do a PP when hanging over the ledge.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer I am confused about a slight bit of information.

On your site it says that Mewtwo's air time from a SH is 41 frames. His Air Dodge FAF is frame 29 and B-Air's hitbox comes out frame 13.

If I an understanding this correctly, B-Air should not be able to come out after an Air Dodge from a SH, since the fastest it could come out is frame 42.

But you can in fact SH -> AD -> B-Air opponents with the trunk of Mewtwo's tail (and sometimes even the very tip of it also hits). Although it requires very strict timing.

Is there something I am understanding wrong about these numbers?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer I am confused about a slight bit of information.

On your site it says that Mewtwo's air time from a SH is 41 frames. His Air Dodge FAF is frame 29 and B-Air's hitbox comes out frame 13.

If I an understanding this correctly, B-Air should not be able to come out after an Air Dodge from a SH, since the fastest it could come out is frame 42.

But you can in fact SH -> AD -> B-Air opponents with the trunk of Mewtwo's tail (and sometimes even the very tip of it also hits). Although it requires very strict timing.

Is there something I am understanding wrong about these numbers?
Frame 29 is the first actionable frame.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Do you mean the run-off-FF-FF Cancel thing? Mewtwo has a really hard time doing it. I prefer to either use LC or simply do a PP when hanging over the ledge.
It's this motion. :GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR: (assuming you are trying to grab the left edge).

K, thought as much. Why does he have such a hard time doing it? :(

Sonicninja115

It's this motion. :GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR: (assuming you are trying to grab the left edge).

K, thought as much. Why does he have such a hard time doing it? :(
I think it has something to do with airspeed and fall speed, or just his run off animation might send him too far forward.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I think it has something to do with airspeed and fall speed, or just his run off animation might send him too far forward.
Might be the latter. I usually get it when I try to run off and teleport towards the ledge, which is hilarious because it's inconsistent and it's not what I wanted to do.

rowcla

Smash Rookie
G'day all, been kinda-sorta picking up Mewtwo recently, but had a couple of questions.

First up, I was watching Abadango's set against Void at Pound, and I don't think I saw a single BAir from him. What do other people think about this? Is the move actually just outclassed in almost all situations? I had been finding it a pretty potent spacing tool in neutral, but is that just because of inexperience?

My other question was regarding NAir. I've heard that the direction your opponent comes out is random, is this true? Or is it possible to, in some way, determine the direction they'll come out, so you can follow it up immediately?

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
G'day all, been kinda-sorta picking up Mewtwo recently, but had a couple of questions.

First up, I was watching Abadango's set against Void at Pound, and I don't think I saw a single BAir from him. What do other people think about this? Is the move actually just outclassed in almost all situations? I had been finding it a pretty potent spacing tool in neutral, but is that just because of inexperience?

My other question was regarding NAir. I've heard that the direction your opponent comes out is random, is this true? Or is it possible to, in some way, determine the direction they'll come out, so you can follow it up immediately?
Bair is just slow (13 frame startup) and has a noticeable amount of landing lag (17 frames), so it's not great in neutral. You can use it to press your advantage or to edgeguard, but in neutral, it doesn't have a place.

Knockback guide for nair is in this forum somewhere. Recommend checking it out.

Last edited:

rowcla

Smash Rookie
Bair is just slow (13 frame startup) and has a noticeable amount of landing lag (17 frames), so it's not great in neutral. You can use it to press your advantage or to edgeguard, but in neutral, it doesn't have a place.
In retrospect, I guess I didn't really mention this, but I've been using it in neutral when my opponent is jumping or on a platform. Thus mitigating the issue of landing lag. The range has made it seem difficult to punish as well, provided its properly spaced, though that might just be because my opponent's aren't approaching well or the matchup...

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
In retrospect, I guess I didn't really mention this, but I've been using it in neutral when my opponent is jumping or on a platform. Thus mitigating the issue of landing lag. The range has made it seem difficult to punish as well, provided its properly spaced, though that might just be because my opponent's aren't approaching well or the matchup...
Probably the latter. This move works well when your opponents are in the air (when you're at advantage, not during neutral) and offstage since they can't do much to counter it (either airdodge at the right time or contest it with a faster aerial). Anyway, there are better moves to use in neutral (down tilt, shadow ball, fair, etc.) that put yourself at less risk while doing the same thing as bair.

Last edited:

rowcla

Smash Rookie
Probably the latter. This move works well when your opponents are in the air (when you're at advantage, not during neutral) and offstage since they can't do much to counter it (either airdodge at the right time or contest it with a faster aerial). Anyway, there are better moves to use in neutral (down tilt, shadow ball, fair, etc.) that put yourself at less risk while doing the same thing as bair.
That's a real pity, the move is super sweet and satisfying, so its a pity that it has such limited applications. Thanks anyway though

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I use BAir a lot, mainly for pressuring opponents who are offstage, but its also worth noting that it hits slightly above Mewtwo, so if there is any ambiguity about whether they will be above or behind you when the hitboxes come out, it is useful.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
That's a real pity, the move is super sweet and satisfying, so its a pity that it has such limited applications. Thanks anyway though
Well, keep in mind that for the things that bair is used for (i.e. pressure during advantage, offstage game), it's really good. I definitely agree that landing this move is satisfying.

One more application (though not as useful) is to throw it out when trying to get back on stage.

Last edited:

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Well, keep in mind that for the things that bair is used for (i.e. pressure during advantage, offstage game), it's really good. I definitely agree that landing this move is satisfying.

One more application (though not as useful) is to throw out when trying to get back on stage.
YES. It has good reach and strikes through the stage, so if they get a bit close when edgeguarding, its a great choice to surprise them.

TAN-MAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
EvitanArt
I just started playing on Anther's a bit and have come across some decent Sheik players, and I seem to have pretty difficult time with it. Seems like I just get rushed down and beat up for a while until they can land a bouncing fish lol.

I was only able to take stocks when I got a grab or punished a Short hop with upsmash, which wasn't very often.

I was really only able to take

At any rate, after these matches I watched Abadango's sets vs Void and K9, and he seemed to be using a lot of SH Nair OOS in order to get control of the game and make the Sheik a little more weary of approaching.

So my question is what are some suggestions for dealing with that kind of rushdown?

More specifically:

Should I focus on timing my dtilts and shadow balls better to keep the Sheik out?

Is Fair a viable option for intercepting Sheik air combos or Sheik approaches?

Could SH Fair OOS be an option for dealing with Sheik?

Also, if this question should be addressed in another thread[ like the Sheik matchup thread?] please let me know.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Differences between Fsmash and Dsmash? Is one always better than the other?

Sonicninja115

Damage- 19%-26% (Sweetspot) 15%-21% (Sourspot)
Kill Potential- High
Use- Killing and Damaging
Combo Potential- None
Hitbox Active: 19-21
FAF: 53
Frames on Shield: -17/-15

Damage- 15%-21%
Kill Potential- High
Use- Killing and Damaging
Combo Potential- None
Hitbox Active: 21-22
FAF: 44
Frames on Shield: -6

The two main differences are that Fsmash kills earlier, while Dsmash only kills earlier with Bad DI. Dsmash unfortunately has a large DI spectrum that makes the differences between no DI and DI death percentages huge.

The Shieldstun numbers are slightly off, but still rather accurate. I am updating them soon with the smash calculator. Basically, Dsmash is incredibly safe on Shield, unpunishable by the looks of it, while Fsmash is punishable by a DA or Grab.

Also, Fsmash has a sweetspot while Dsmash doesn't, more consistent I guess.

And Dsmash can hit below the stage.

So basically, nope. Situational, depends on percent and positioning. Reizilla Reizilla

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Replacing my old main (Mega Man), I've decided to pick up Mew2 and I've been using him for about 2-3 weeks now, and I finally feel like I found a character I could actually get satisfaction from using compared to my other replacement options. To help myself get a smoother grasp of the character and to make the road a little easier, I come asking with 3 questions.

1. What would you consider his best and worst stages to pick/ban and why? Is he adaptable enough to function on most of them or is there one or two that would turn him to a fish out of water?

2. What are your go-to moves and strategy for the neutral game. So far, I find that my neutral consists of charging Shadow Ball, approaching/poking with FF Uairs or Dtilts, using Nair at close ranges (have a bad habit trying to approach with it though, something I aim to break), and a few mixups with jabs; but I feel as though this isn't quite enough and there's something I'm missing.

3. Who would you consider Mew2's worst MU's at this point? And does he have any notable winning or close-to-even MUs with any one of the top or high tiers?

Appreciate any helpful answers, and thanks in advance.

DERPFISHsaysNO

Smash Cadet
Replacing my old main (Mega Man), I've decided to pick up Mew2 and I've been using him for about 2-3 weeks now, and I finally feel like I found a character I could actually get satisfaction from using compared to my other replacement options. To help myself get a smoother grasp of the character and to make the road a little easier, I come asking with 3 questions.

1. What would you consider his best and worst stages to pick/ban and why? Is he adaptable enough to function on most of them or is there one or two that would turn him to a fish out of water?

2. What are your go-to moves and strategy for the neutral game. So far, I find that my neutral consists of charging Shadow Ball, approaching/poking with FF Uairs or Dtilts, using Nair at close ranges (have a bad habit trying to approach with it though, something I aim to break), and a few mixups with jabs; but I feel as though this isn't quite enough and there's something I'm missing.

3. Who would you consider Mew2's worst MU's at this point? And does he have any notable winning or close-to-even MUs with any one of the top or high tiers?

Appreciate any helpful answers, and thanks in advance.
1: Mewtwo's worst stage is duck hunt by far. It shifts his tail out of the z axis, and in doing this makes his hurtbox much larger. Otherwise FD may be his worst overall, but that is largely matchup dependant. His best stage is also variable, but battlefield is often your best bet, as we gain dthrow and confusion shenanigans on that stage on the low platforms vs several characters.

2. In neutral, forcing approaches with shadowball and using phase aerials, dtilt, or jab1 to punish approaches is quite successful. Retreating with phase is also viable vs lots of characters and can set up for shadowball charge or throw. (Phase is short hop air dodge, if you didn't know.)

3. I'm of the opinion our worst MU right now is either Falco or Fox. Both characters force Mewtwo to approach due to long lasting reflectors and decent projectiles. Fox can hurt us more if he hits us, but Falco may be the worse matchup due to the fact that his lasers tend to interrupt everything that we do and our very large frame gets stuck in his multihits quite often.

Sonicninja115

Tips on dealing with reflectors?
Mewtwo can actually be pretty safe when he fires off a SB. Learn the distance you need to be at to get a confusion off at and be prepared to move if need be. I need to check the specifics, but I will add it to my video list once my analysis is complete.

WalrusBiscuit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalrusBiscuit
Mewtwo can actually be pretty safe when he fires off a SB. Learn the distance you need to be at to get a confusion off at and be prepared to move if need be. I need to check the specifics, but I will add it to my video list once my analysis is complete.
Alright, please tell me when you've done that!

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
How do you do the dtilt to DJ upair combo? I've tried just faster inputs but the DJ is always late.

Also how can you setup the fair death combo off the side? I always seem to miss it slightly.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Hey I remember reading somewhere in this boards a post that explained completely how Nair works, but I can't find it again, be it in the combo thread of in the stickied guide.

Anyone knows what I'm talking about ?

Top Bottom