• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mewtwo Q&A Thread (Check Here)

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Smog Frog Smog Frog Shad, SH Fair and Falling Fair, Mini SB and SB Charge. Dtilt and Utilt to punish approaches. PP, Foxtrot dancing and U-turn are pretty good aswell. The neutral is really complex, but these are the general moves used in neutral. I will make a note to add a section to my guide about it.

Sonicninja115

wait what about cross up shad uair? ive been doing that for a while now.
That is good, but mainly at high percents I think. I need to lab that more actually. A SHAD Base Uair isn't that safe on shield. You can easily get shieldgrabbed. However, a tipper Uair is incredibly safe. It might have a kill option.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Unfortunately your link is broken for me. I can't see what you're talking about.
Works for me. Basically Mario air dodges past an U-Air and Mewtwo moves forward and hits Mario with a Fair as he lands onto the stage.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Works for me. Basically Mario air dodges past an U-Air and Mewtwo moves forward and hits Mario with a Fair as he lands onto the stage.
It sounds like a good strategy: bait air dodges with Uair pressure, punish with Fair.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
Looks like pikachu can QAC anywhere on Umbra Clock Tower.
https://youtu.be/RcWTSbCsN0o
I'm not at my wii now, but can anyone test if Mewtwo can use his teleport cancel in a similar way? This could be amazing if this becomes a counter pick stage.

Sonicninja115

Looks like pikachu can QAC anywhere on Umbra Clock Tower.
https://youtu.be/RcWTSbCsN0o
I'm not at my wii now, but can anyone test if Mewtwo can use his teleport cancel in a similar way? This could be amazing if this becomes a counter pick stage.
Mewtwo cannot. It might be super specific, but after preliminary testing he always did his spin-out thing.

Sonicninja115

https://youtu.be/vhINQfFY-Bo?t=357

How does Mewtwo do the instant shadow-ball charge after getting up from the ledge?
Ledge Jump-Double Jump Cancelled ShadowBall. You can do the same with counters and disable and stuff. To learn it, the best way is to go into 1/4th speed and find the exact point that you can DJ, and then go into full speed and use the animation as your cue.

Did I explain it well? Any questions?

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Ledge Jump-Double Jump Cancelled ShadowBall. You can do the same with counters and disable and stuff. To learn it, the best way is to go into 1/4th speed and find the exact point that you can DJ, and then go into full speed and use the animation as your cue.

Did I explain it well? Any questions?
To add to that, anything involving a double jump cancel is much easier to do correctly if you change any of the shoulder buttons to a additional jump button. (assuming you use a GC controller)
If you do this you won't have to do the leap with your thumb from the jump button to the B button and it allows you to do the double jump cancel as fast as possible since the double jump and Shadowball charge would preferably be done almost at the same time.

So for example instead of pressing :GCX:>:GCX:+ :GCB: for jump > doublejump canceled shadowball you can instead press :GCX:> :GCLT:+:GCB: if you change your control scheme which is a much more convenient if you get used to it.

Alternatively you can just hold the controller in a clawgrip which i do for many characters with similiar techs so you have one finger on the jump button and the thumb on A / B at all times (search for clawgrip if you want to see how it looks)

Anyway, this might seem unnecessary at first since double jump canceling isn't THAT important after all, but if you don't use one of the L/R buttons for anything you might as well remap it :) Mewtwo's footstool combos involving shadowball locks become easier this way too.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

To add to that, anything involving a double jump cancel is much easier to do correctly if you change any of the shoulder buttons to a additional jump button. (assuming you use a GC controller)
If you do this you won't have to do the leap with your thumb from the jump button to the B button and it allows you to do the double jump cancel as fast as possible since the double jump and Shadowball charge would preferably be done almost at the same time.

So for example instead of pressing :GCX:>:GCX:+ :GCB: for jump > doublejump canceled shadowball you can instead press :GCX:> :GCLT:+:GCB: if you change your control scheme which is a much more convenient if you get used to it.

Alternatively you can just hold the controller in a clawgrip which i do for many characters with similiar techs so you have one finger on the jump button and the thumb on A / B at all times (search for clawgrip if you want to see how it looks)

Anyway, this might seem unnecessary at first since double jump canceling isn't THAT important after all, but if you don't use one of the L/R buttons for anything you might as well remap it :) Mewtwo's footstool combos become easier this way too.
Footstool true combos into disable on 90% of the cast apparently. Good stuff.

:GCRT: Jump is also good for aerial mobility. It allows you to move freely with your index finger on Jump and your thumb on the C-stick.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
alright, here's a question:

how much of this tech do i absolutely need to know and perform consistently to be good at :4mewtwo:? it's already difficult remembering trying to remember exactly how much i can do in any given situation...

Sonicninja115

It depends on skill level really. I would suggest at least learning how to use B-reversing and wavbouncing. Then, after you feel that those are easy and just a walk in the park to do, try incorporating another tech, like SB get-up as is explained above, or Phasing, spend time learning LC and stuff. don't try to learn everything at once. Right now I am incorporating Phasing into my game, and seeing how well I have memorized LC. Plus, I us PP, Foxtrot dancing, B-reverse and other smaller techs. This tech list took me almost 4 months to learn and LC and Phasing will probably last me until April. Learn techs as you can, as 90% are really useful, but don't worry about getting them all done as fast as possible. Also, Phasing and PP are GDLK and I recommend them to anyone. (Except Ganondorf...)

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
Does Mewtwo have any good grab setups, guaranteed or otherwise? Particularly at higher percents when upthrow or backthrow could kill.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Does Mewtwo have any good grab setups, guaranteed or otherwise? Particularly at higher percents when upthrow or backthrow could kill.
Condition them to expect a dash attack after an uncharged shadowball, and then surpsise them with dashgrab instead?

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Hmm... well, on characters that don't have a very small frame to them, Jab1 > Grab stills works, you just gotta position yourself properly. You could also try tomahawking into a grab.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
shorthop Nair > Grab/Dashgrab is guranteed if fastfalled at the right moment and Jab 1 > Grab is a frametrap for many characters even at KO percents. As mentioned above tomahawking (shorthop to bait out a shield, but instead of attacking fastfall and grab instead) is also a good option in some scenarios.

A fun one to do is to B-reverse a almost fully charged shadowball into the opponent to bait out a shield but instead grab them when you land (and if they don't shield throw the shadowball) but this one isn't very reliable against high level players :p

Last edited:

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
...As mentioned above tomahawking (shorthop to bait out a shield, but instead of attacking fastfall and grab instead) is also a good option in some scenarios.
I didn't realise this had a name! Yeah, this is probably the most effective method that I use (other than regular shieldgrab) particularly since I mostly approach with aerials anyway, and in any given match I try not to fastfall too much so that my opponent doesn't expect it when I do so at KO%

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
My buddy mains Mewtwo and he tends to suicide a lot when recovering. Is there some kind of teleport nuance he's missing? Is there a method to get more consistent ledge snaps?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
My buddy mains Mewtwo and he tends to suicide a lot when recovering. Is there some kind of teleport nuance he's missing? Is there a method to get more consistent ledge snaps?

Depends on how he is dying.

1. Mewtwo tends to bounce off any objects.

He needs to make sure, 100% sure, that if Mewtwo were to physically travel the trajectory he is teleporting in, Mewtwo wouldn't collide with any object.

2. Being hit causes you to not be able to grab the ledge for a full second.

This is much worse when using an Up-B with no hitbox, so much range and so much lag. Doing Up-B less than 1 second after being touched will cause Mewtwo to basically Up-B into his death.

In the same way if he Up-B's directly into the ledge after being hit he will actually collide with the edge and bounce away from the stage, assuring an SD, be careful.

3. Mewtwo's Up-B doesn't ledge snap unless it's a very specific close to 45 degree angle.

He actually does a small animation of twirling before grabing the edge which gives the opponent much more than just 2 frames to hit you while recovering, specially since:

4. Mewtwo's hurtbox goes above the stage when ledge snapping. So certain D-Tilts and Dash Attack will actually hit you when recovering.

Mostly, tell him to mix up his timing and angles. Also to always keep in mind 1 and 2, they are incredibly important.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Depends on how he is dying.

1. Mewtwo tends to bounce off any objects.

He needs to make sure, 100% sure, that if Mewtwo were to physically travel the trajectory he is teleporting in, Mewtwo wouldn't collide with any object.

2. Being hit causes you to not be able to grab the ledge for a full second.

This is much worse when using an Up-B with no hitbox, so much range and so much lag. Doing Up-B less than 1 second after being touched will cause Mewtwo to basically Up-B into his death.

In the same way if he Up-B's directly into the ledge after being hit he will actually collide with the edge and bounce away from the stage, assuring an SD, be careful.

3. Mewtwo's Up-B doesn't ledge snap unless it's a very specific close to 45 degree angle.

He actually does a small animation of twirling before grabing the edge which gives the opponent much more than just 2 frames to hit you while recovering, specially since:

4. Mewtwo's hurtbox goes above the stage when ledge snapping. So certain D-Tilts and Dash Attack will actually hit you when recovering.

Mostly, tell him to mix up his timing and angles. Also to always keep in mind 1 and 2, they are incredibly important.
Adding on to the second point, this is cast wide, but particularly annoying with Mewtwo.
I would suggest practicing it. Not saying he doesn't, but practicing it for 15 minutes or so every week is extremely helpful.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
Do certain hits of Mewtwo's upsmash have their hitbox extend higher than the others?
I have really inconsistent performance when trying to use it to catch people who are above me and attacking downwards. For instance, sometimes I will catch a DDD out of his up-b, and sometimes he buries me. Sometimes I will catch bayonetta out of her down air, sometimes she gets me. Is there a way I can time it to be sure I win these exchanges?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
The last hit seems to have a bigger hitbox than the rest of the move. It just sounds like a spacing problem, but up smash can be pretty inconsistent thanks to it multi hit properties. Just be glad it isn't Melee up smash, although you can still apparently SDI out of it in this game.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Do certain hits of Mewtwo's upsmash have their hitbox extend higher than the others?
I have really inconsistent performance when trying to use it to catch people who are above me and attacking downwards. For instance, sometimes I will catch a DDD out of his up-b, and sometimes he buries me. Sometimes I will catch bayonetta out of her down air, sometimes she gets me. Is there a way I can time it to be sure I win these exchanges?
The first hit has a really tall hitbox, but it isn't very wide.

The last hit is both tall and wide.

As for catching people falling directly on top of you. That's probably due to the fact the move doesn't hit every frame but every 3 frames. So most likely sometimes they get into the U-Smash on a frame the hitbox is active, but sometimes they get into the U-Smash the moment the hit leaves and they get 3 more frames to drop on top of you and hit you.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Would Roy be a decent secondary/co-main? I've been having fun with him recently and am weighing my options.

Sonicninja115

I'm getting there.

Alright then. I appreciate the feedback.
He might do okay. He has speed and quick aerials, as well as throw combos. He is very different from Mewtwo, and that would definitely help as a CP. Make sure to keep your options open. I personally picked up Diddy kong so that I would have a top tier under my belt, to handle the aggravating MU's and characters. If you feel that Roy could help against characters that Mewtwo struggles with, or that you like his playstyle and how he works, then go for it!

D

Deleted member

What are Mewtwo's most reliable landing options and ways to pressure shield? I've been struggling in those two areas lately.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
What are Mewtwo's most reliable landing options and ways to pressure shield? I've been struggling in those two areas lately.
I personally love tricking people up with teleport shenanigans. If they are charging you then warp to safety. If they EXPECT it then just land normally.

I also go for platforms for certain stages. On Smashville specifically, if the platform is asafe distance away then I confusion over. If they read that then teleport in the other direction.

If nothing else it will keep your opponent guessing.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
What do people think of DITCIT and its' uses for characters other than Megaman and Pacman? Hitaku, a (former?) Sheik main from Norcal, has started to rep Mewtwo more at the Showdown Smash locals. He posted this video on Mewtwo's DITCIT (which goes pretty far) and its' potential uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W9O2BRzyjQ

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
For shield pressure, confusion is useful. When you see them get all turtle-happy, drop this on them a few times followed up with a UTilt (or a FAir if ya nasty). Also Tomahawk (SHFFGrab).

Landing is harder, but yeah, teleport fakeouts are great (just make sure you end on the ground, or ideally, ledge cancel). If your opponent is a calm and patient walk-master though, you will probably have a bad time - even with advanced teleport shenanigans.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
What are mewtwo's weaknesses other than having a big body and being light? What are Mewtwo's best high tier matchups?

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
What are mewtwo's weaknesses other than having a big body and being light? What are Mewtwo's best high tier matchups?
Having slow start up on moves. You sum all 3 together and Mewtwo has one of the worst disadvantage stages in the whole game, the only thing he has going for him is his Air Dodge (best in the game).

I would say Luigi, Rosa, Villager, MK are Mewtwo's best high tier matchups. I think he also has some even (or close to even) matchups with a few more of the high tiers.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Having slow start up on moves. You sum all 3 together and Mewtwo has one of the worst disadvantage stages in the whole game, the only thing he has going for him is his Air Dodge (best in the game).

I would say Luigi, Rosa, Villager, MK are Mewtwo's best high tier matchups. I think he also has some even (or close to even) matchups with a few more of the high tiers.
I would rather face off against a strong Falcon rather than a strong Villager. Can you elaborate on what you think makes Villager a good MU for us? Confusion seems like it has too slow a start-up to effectively reflect Villager's business without clairvoyance (!) even though there is a lot of business which can technically be reflected...

Top Bottom