• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Spoiler-free!)

I'm always late to these things. Bah, never mind. Anyway, I'm not too worried about dark/light ammo. It reminds me too much of the plain old missiles from Metroid 1. Collect missiles from random beasties, then use them to do lots of damage, or to open red doors. When you needed more missiles, you'd just blast more monsters until you had enough.

Which leads me to wonder... in MP2, will there be Light Ammo Tanks and Dark Ammo Tanks that let you carry more of said?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Anybody want a Metroid Prime 2: Echoes demo disc?

Bonus Disc Contains:

* Metroid Prime 2 Echoes playable demo
* Metroid Prime 2 Echoes movie trailers
* Metroid art gallery
* The Metroid Chronicle

Nintendo is giving them away and they're set to ship August 20th. All you have to go is sign up at Nintendo.com and register 5 of the 23 games that include a special key-code in the box when you buy them.

http://www.nintendo.com/metroidprime2.jsp

"Thank you!

You have successfully reserved your copy of the Metroid Prime 2 Echoes Bonus Disc!
"

Woohoo. I get the demo disc.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
So, wait, the My Nintendo version does not include the original game? I know IGN said that the bundle, which you can find info for on here: http://cube.ign.com/articles/535/535889p1.html said that the original would be packaged in. It's not like I need another Metroid Prime; it's just that if it came with it, I could sell it for about 10 bucks I bet.

While this isn't as big a deal as the Zelda Collector's Edition (and I was hoping Nintendo would do the Nintendo Puzzle Collection this year for My Nintendo), I'm still going to "cheat" my way to five games. Now did I register 1080 or Mario Party 5?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Originally posted by Raccoon87
So, wait, the My Nintendo version does not include the original game? I know IGN said that the bundle, which you can find info for on here: http://cube.ign.com/articles/535/535889p1.html said that the original would be packaged in. It's not like I need another Metroid Prime; it's just that if it came with it, I could sell it for about 10 bucks I bet.

While this isn't as big a deal as the Zelda Collector's Edition (and I was hoping Nintendo would do the Nintendo Puzzle Collection this year for My Nintendo), I'm still going to "cheat" my way to five games. Now did I register 1080 or Mario Party 5?
The GCN Bundle comes with the original Prime, this free demo disc does not. I wish Nintendo would've put all of the Metroid games onto this disc. To put Super Metroid on it they'd have to totally re-do everything though because the GCN can't have direct ports of SNES games. For MegaMan Anniversary Collection Capcom had to re-do all the games (which isn't hard for them to do and it's good, because otherwise the game still thinks it's running on it's original system). If you've played any of the Classic NES Series games you'd know that since they are direct NES ports they still lag because they think they're playing on a NES.

Anybody think we'll get a Starfox bonus disc, too? :p

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Luckily for me, it happened to be time for me to update my Nintendo power subscription, so I'll be getting the bonus disk too :D.

Starfox bonus disk is doubtful. Prime is probably Nintendo biggest game this year (or Resident Evil 4). Nintendo doesn't really do bonus disks often, so unless this will become a trend with them, I don't think so.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Originally posted by McFox
Luckily for me, it happened to be time for me to update my Nintendo power subscription, so I'll be getting the bonus disk too :D.

Starfox bonus disk is doubtful. Prime is probably Nintendo biggest game this year (or Resident Evil 4). Nintendo doesn't really do bonus disks often, so unless this will become a trend with them, I don't think so.
With Resident Evil 4 coming out January 11th 2005, I would say Prime 2 is Nintendo's biggest game this year. Will it sell the most out of Nintendo's games? I doubt it. As much of an awesome game it is, a lot of people are turned off by it's controls because they aren't like a FPS. Of course, those are the people who think the Prime is a FPS, when it's FPA.

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
So, I'm gonna go out tomorrow to buy a game just to get this demo disc... Anyone know which games have PINs? Or are there any registerable games you guys recommend?

I already looked at the supposed list of all registerable games at N.com, but it seems to be missing some. Like... all the games I've already registered (MK: DD, Zero Mission, Mario and Luigi, and Custom Robo) are all *not* on that list.

Help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Anyone know if you can register PAL products to get the disk? *Sigh*

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Machina, here's the entire list of games you can register:

Listy

Unfortunately, over half the list is the Classic NES series, which I refuse to buy. I have plenty of GC and GBA games, but I'm not buying more just so I can get PIN number =/.

And I have no idea how PAL games work.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
1. Mario vs. Donkey Kong
2. Mario Golf: Advance Tour
3. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
4. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
5. Mario Party 5
6. Metroid: Zero Mission
7. Pokémon Colosseum
8. Legend of Zelda, The: Four Swords Adventures
9. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
10. Classic NES Series: The Legend of Zelda
11. Classic NES Series: Pac-Man
12. Classic NES Series: Xevious
13. Classic NES Series: Excitebike
14. Custom Robo
15. Classic NES Series: Bomberman
16. 1080° Avalanche
17. Classic NES Series: Donkey Kong
18. Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros.
19. GBA Video: Pokémon - For Ho-Oh the Bells Toll!
20. WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$
21. Classic NES Series: Ice Climber
22. GBA Video: Pokémon - Johto Photo Finish
23. Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Games

Those are all of the registerable games, you could just go to a videogame store like GameStop where they have the game boxes out and you can open them and look at the papers inside the manual... Just write down the code or take a digital camera with you and snap a picture. :p

mic, no. This is for the US only as of right now.

ExMachina

Smash Journeyman
McFox: Yeah, that's my problem... there aren't really any other games out there I want, but I seriously want this demo disc.

Cashed: Thanks for the list... and the idea. :) Hehe, I just might do that.

Out of the registerable games, I'm thinking about picking up Wario Ware. I don't have the GBA version, it's only $30, and I figure I can use it to pacify my younger cousins who are visiting...

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
(too lazy to look back)

now If I were to buy a new cube would I get the disk as well?

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
I can see myself probably getting this thing, no matter what. Question, though. If I renewed my NP subscription now (it only ends in February), could I get the bonus disk now, and get the new issues later? Otherwise, I think I'd do what you suggested, Cashed. You know, with the game-box things.

Lesse hear, I gots MK:DD!! and MZM...three more PINs!

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Originally posted by CerbKirby
I can see myself probably getting this thing, no matter what. Question, though. If I renewed my NP subscription now (it only ends in February), could I get the bonus disk now, and get the new issues later? Otherwise, I think I'd do what you suggested, Cashed. You know, with the game-box things.

Lesse hear, I gots MK:DD!! and MZM...three more PINs!
Cerb, if you're going to buy the Samus GameCube bundle you already get the bonus disc, what, do you want two or something? You greedy little...

And I do believe if you renew your Nintendo Power subscription is goes onto the end of your subscription so once you get to the point where you should've run out, you'll then have another year left of NP.

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
Uh, what? No, no, you misunderstood me. I don't want the Metroid Bundle, just the special disc. I was saying that if I can't get it through special PINs in the games, then I wanted to know if renewing now would get me the disc now.

Apparently, renewing my subscription would come after my last issue, but if I renewed now in advance, I was thinking I could get the bonus disc.

Don't hate! ;)

Sheesh, what's on this 'bonus disc' anyway? Videos and playable demos of games to come? Like one of those demo 'cubes they have in Fred Meyers and Wal-Marts, but with non-busted control sticks? If so, I don't need it.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
It's just a disc with a Prime 2 demo, Prime 2 trailers and "Metroid Chronicles."

Metroid Chronicles is probably just like the feature on the Zelda disc, the whole "history" of the Metroid series... All it did on the Zelda disc though was show clips of all the games... Very lame.

Cerb, did you already get another GameCube or what? And from what I understand about Nintendo Power, if you renewed now you would get the bonus disc in the mail (they always took forever to send me my gifts) and have another year of Nintendo Power from whenever your current subscription expires.

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
If I understand from what you're talking about, I did get a new Gamecube after my old one busted. It works fine, and it's platinum! I covered the cost of it by selling the two games that came with it. Yes, that's right, two! For some reason, they sent LoZ: Collector's Edition and Master Quest, both of which I already had.

Anyway, thanks for the information about NP. I just needed a second person's perspective and information.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Originally posted by ExMachina
Yep. You get a Platinum Cube, MP, the bonus disc... and all in this nifty box with Samus gracing its exterior.

Is this offer avaible now or do I have to wait, if so how long?!

I need a new cube and a new prime (gonna break some world records) and being a big samus fan I can't wait for the bundle.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
This isn't about the disc, but look at Samus' visor. It's different from her Prime visor. Did anyone notice that? I'm just wondering why they went ahead and made the visor with the indentions at the top.

I'm sure hoping that there's something... hidden in that disc. How big would the demo and history have to be for it to be worthwile to make? I'm guessing that the two things wouldn't fill up much space.

EDIT: I've gotten notification that I'm on the list to get one once they ship them. But I do have a big thing here about the demo disc. The picture of it says "Products Ranging from RP to T", which must mean that either there are videos of other games or they might have put in another demo (here's hoping for something like Star Fox!)

Nic64

Smash Lord
meh, I don't have any of those cards necessary to register my games(I throw away everything inside but the manual...) and I don't feel like signing up for propaganda power... no bonus disc for me ;-;

Originally posted by Raccoon87
This isn't about the disc, but look at Samus' visor. It's different from her Prime visor. Did anyone notice that? I'm just wondering why they went ahead and made the visor with the indentions at the top.
Gee, could it be there are visors in Echoes that weren't in Prime? :rolleyes:

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
You obviously didn't understand what I mean. Samus' original suit (why would they show a suit that she gains?) has a different visor shape than that of her suits in Prime. I know there will be new visors, but this is about the shape of the visor, not what the visor does.

By the way, <3 apparently the deal is available now. I saw it in several newspaper ads this Sunday.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
In MP2, they changed the shape of her visor. No biggie. No suprise either if you've seen earlier pics.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Double posting, I know, but I bet if MK were here, he'd have posted those pics much earlier. Where is he by the way?

Anyway, I got my demo disc!!!!!!!! I'm gonna try and run through the disc, giving my impressions on how the demo was and some of the pieces to the story from what Nintendo's trailer and preview showed. I'll try to spoiler parts that might be new.

First of all, there are five parts to the disc: Retrospective, Trailer, Demo, Preview, Art Work.

Nintendo seems to have improved upon the Zelda: Collector's Edition disc because this one is much better. When you choose retrospective you are taken to a screen showing every Metroid game from Metroid to Echoes in the order that they take place in the storyline, which by the way is Metroid; Zero Mission; Prime; Prime 2; Metroid II; Super Metroid; Fusion. Going to any of the games gives you a series of clips as well as the storyline of the game.

The trailer is good, but the preview, in my opinion, rocks. Remember those shots of the GF soldiers? I'm guessing that that will be the opening cinema to the game. Samus, as we know, is sent to reach a crashed GF Bravo Team in the Dosha Sector on the planet Aether and provide assistance. However, the Space Pirates are there too and Dark Samus. What seems to be the most intriguing is that the Ing can enter the Light World. But then so can the Luminoth, which seem to be Aether's equivalent to the Chozo. The Dark Aether is threatening to take control of Light Aether by destroying four Luminoth places. The Ing have both melee attacks and beam attacks. Finally, remember that crocodile guy from the E3 2003 video? Well, that is a new version of the Space Pirates. Also it seems that the Ing are parasitic and that the Space Pirates are once again up to something with Metroids and Phazon. Meanwhile, art work mainly comes from Prime but does include some Echoes art work. My favorite has to be the colored headshots of Samus.

The demo now is great; it'll make you want to get the game now. You start off with the Battle and Scan visors and the Power, Light, and Dark beams. The Scan visor has been redone; gone are those symbols, but now the unscanned things that add info are blue, those scanned green, and crucial things red. The demo begins by giving you mainly some simple obstacles to shoot to get to the next few doors. It's really a tutorial, but then you enter a courtyard where you fight three groups of Space Pirates. The third group even mans some sort of laser guns! Next comes the morph ball fun, which includes a tunnel that shows a band of Pirates entering through a dark portal, which the tunnel ends in the same room. After fighting a few more Pirates, you'll have to activate the teleporter. Once in Dark Aether, you'll have the fun jumping from dome to dome. Inside domes, you gain health, but at the end, there are 2 Ing to fight.

The demo disc was so much fun that I just can't wait for Echoes. For a while now, this game has begun to take a seat to Resident Evil 4, but now that I've gotten to play it, I can't wait. Another bit of information: it seems the game will take place in missions according to the demo, trailer, and preview.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Not Echo's related but still...

Samus in Celuloid? Sigh....sorry.[/alliteration]
Nintendo has spoken out to counter rumours in the industry that a film adaptation of Metroid is currently in production. Speaking in an interview with Japanese magazine Nintendo Dream, Ninty producer Yoshio Sakamoto described reports to that effect as 'misleading'. However, such a project doesn't seem too far-fetched either.

"There were some misleading reports before the E3 that Metroid's production was confirmed," says Sakamoto-san. "But to be accurate, it's that the company that John Woo works for has gained the rights to negotiate with Nintendo of America to make Metroid into a movie. Metroid's production hasn't been officially decided yet, and there's no release plans for it," he added.

The rumours originally stemmed from pre-E3 speculation, fuelled by a report in the Hollywood Reporter which stated that John Woo was planning to co-produce the film, with an option of directing it also. The report even contained a quote from Woo, who assured the publication that the film would be hitting cinema screens by Christmas 2005. According to Sakamoto however, "There's been no progress."
At least the rights are there being negotiated. Hopefully Xmas 2006? It just better not suck....or say who Samus is gonna be played by.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Alll the beams weren't there (and it may seem like there could be more than 5 beams; the map screen had all these colors for open doors, but the Light and Dark Beams were not given to any color), only Dark and Light, but you did have the ability to go into morph ball (but no spider ball despite the fact that spider tracks were in the demo).

Overall the demo wasn't as good as that of Metroid Prime's (you know, with the boss and all), but it was still tons of fun!

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I'm growing impatient... People on the East Coast are getting their Prime 2 demos and I live an hour from NOA Headquarters and haven't recieved mine.

Angst.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I got it today, and I live in Louisiana, see here's a step-by-step of what I did, with some humor thrown in, because parts of it were funny. Keep in mind, there will be SPOILERS, and I'm not going to blank them out, because it's only SPOILERS for the demo disk. If you want to play through it fresh, wait until after you play it to read this:

Excuse the switches from past-tense to present-tense, but I was playing through it again as I wrote this, so it seemed natural to go with present-tense sometimes. I'd go back and change it, but I don't feel like it, so just try to ignore it ;).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Startup. Make sure to notice the wide-screen effect at the title screen. Noticed the cool new Retro Logo.

Background info. Mission: "Locate Federation Troopers" or other nonsense. Kill all the bad guys is basically what it said.

Okay, nice shifting between Light and Dark worlds from the planet view. Samus flies in, gets banged up by Dark lightning, and crashes thrown some rocks into a conveniently empty room that seems to have been put there specifically for her.

The new ship is #@$%$# sweet.

Samus appears. Love the added green glowing lines going down her leg. She jumps in the air, cutting 7,000 frontflips before landing. Business as usual.

The first thing I noticed was that there were these bird-sized insects flying around. I tried to destroy them, but no luck.

I go through my options. Double-jumping still works. Morph Ball and the bombs still work, but no Spider Ball and no Dash Ball. Wave Beam, Ice Beam, and Plasma Beam have been replaced with the Dark and Light beams, with the normal Power Beam still present.

I try to fire both, and found that the Light Beam fires almost exactly like the Plasma Beam in Prime 1. A fast, straight line. When charged, it fired a spray of shots, but it didn't spray too far apart. It could be used to hit a single target if close enough.

The Dark Beam was different. You remember those floating gasballs from Magmoor Caverns in Prime 1? The ones where when you hit them, they exploded and left the little ball of green gas behind? Well, the Dark Beam looks like that. You're firing the green gas left behind in Magmoor Caverns, only now it's purple and black. Charging just shoots a bigger ball faster.

Normal Visor was present with his brother the Scan Visor. I scanned everything, and everything seemed to be normal, despite the gigantic flying bugs. There was a divurgent path in the first room, but I needed a more powerful weapon than I had to blast the big stone blocking it away. I blasted a big spiderweb that was blocking my path with the Light Beam and it disappeared. It also works with the Dark Beam.

I came to the first door and approved. I like the new design.

I then came across a tunnel not unlike those you would find in Magmoor Caverns. Remember those ones that had glass around the sides? Almost exactly like that, only I was way up in the air. There was a single creature crawling around, and upon scanning found out it could phase out of the current timespace if I didn't kill it immediately. Talk about convenient.

That's when I noticed that I didn't like the Scanning system as much as Prime 1. Instead of being able to scan anything within that little widescreen bar that comes up, you have to put the desired object with a smaller circle within the bar. It required more precision than I liked.

I blasted the creature with a charged up Dark Beam. It was at this point that I remembered I had ammo. Keep in mind that I had been blasting aimlessly around the first room for several minutes, so I didn't have much left. Upon a second play, I found out that you start with 50 ammo for each weapon (Power Beam has infinite shots), and it takes 5 for a charged shot.

As I moved closer to where it had died, I was attacked by two flying, glowing things. After a second of sheer panic and wild firing, I found that these were ammo packs. Apparently, they're automatically attracted to you now, even while you're not charging a beam. Very useful, I stopped for a moment in silent approval. In case it didn't occur to you by reading that (don't worry, it didn't occur to me until later), enemies can give more than one item behind, now. Then I moved on through the next door.

The next room had a small side-path, an elevator, and a cliff on the opposite end. I explored the side-path for a moment to find nothing of interest inside. There was what appeared to be a giant cocoon, but I couldn't scan it or blow it up, so I lost interest. I scanned the little tower next to the elevator to boot it up, just like in Prime 1, noticing again that the scanning system was worse. I decided to explore the cliff before descending, however, figuring that I may be able to walk somewhere.

As I approached, a message flashed up on my screen:

Warning: Terminal Fall Ahead!

I stopped for a moment to admire that. It was an excellent touch, and was very funny. Even funnier if someone is running towards the cliff, and it shows up after they've fallen.

Anyway, I could see nothing of interest beyond the continuation of the giant bugs. I fired at some distant cliffs, and was surprised to learn that my Power Beam shots actually reached that far. Upon using the Light and Dark Beams, I found that they could not reach. Still, I could see the distinctive flash of the Power shot hitting something when it reached the wall. Very impressive.

I moved onto the elevator, and instantly liked it more than the elevators in Prime 1. It was much faster, or maybe it seemed that way because it wasn't being lowered at all. When I stepped on, some clamps let go, and it just let me fall.

I hit the ground (in third-person view now) at about 200 miles an hour. The camera hovered behind Samus for a moment before entering her head, and I noticed that her butt was more well-defined than the last game (it's worth mentioning). More of the suspicious spiderweb blocked my path, so I blasted it with the Light Beam and moved through the door.

In the next "room" (it was an open pathway), I was attacked by several small creatures. They posed no challenge, and I laughed as I executed them one-by-one. Next door.

I can tell that this room holds something significant. There are buildings here, and small fires, so I know something bad happened. I scan the two items closest to me. The one on the left looks like a windmill if you knocked it flat on it's back, and then pointed the "arms" skyward. Upon scannation, I am informed that it is a functioning Space Pirate wind-harvesting energy source. On my right, I have what is referred to as a "Galactic Federation Cargo Crate," which for the purpose of this review will from now on be called a "crate," I tried to the destroy the windmill, but no luck. The crate did explode, and I took the ammo inside.

Three space pirates show up, although the music stays eerily still. As I'm blasting them with the Power Beam (to conserve ammo on my special ones), I'm informed that I can use "Y" to fire a missile. No duh. I do so, and then try a Super Missile, but can't do it. The Pirate that was on a platform above me falls realistically off when he dies.

I move forward, and am attacked by two more Pirates. Now the familiar music starts, and I notice it's been tweaked just a bit. As I kill the two pirates, I notice that they fire much more accurately in this game.

Immediately upon defeating those two pirates, two more jump into these very sweet-looking hover-cannons. Finding the Power Beam useless, I dispatch them with the Dark Beam. Upon my second play, I found that the Light Beam was similarly effective. *Note: Upon a third play, I found the Light Beam to be more effective. The cannons take roughly 4 shots to defeat, and so the spread shot of the Light Beam takes out each cannon in one shot, because really, it's like 6 shots in 1.

Moving towards the door, I fire upon the crates. The Light and Dark Beam ammo fly to me instantly, but I have to charge up to get the Missile Ammo to be similarly attracted. Guess it only works for the beam ammo.

In the next room, I am told to use the Dark Beam to dissolve a Light barrier. How stupid does Retro think I am?

Past the Light barrier, I immediately see that there is no exit, so I scan the room. I notice that two seperate panels in the floor are bright blue, and upon scannation, see that there are several stress fractures running across it. Go figure, I have to use the Morph Ball Bombs to go underneath the floor.

After doing this, I exit the Scanner, and a message pops up:

Use the Morph Ball to get through small areas.

Feeling intelligent and smug, knowing that I already knew what to do even before the game did, I bombed the floor, and went through some kind of organic tunnel. Think about what the inside of your large intestine would look like (without the poop). That's what this tunnel looked like. Except there was a door in it. Your intestines don't have doors.

The next room was really cool, I was rolling around underneath the floor the Space Pirates were walking on! I'm not exactly sure why they had connected the two rooms using an intestinal tract that none of them could hope to fit through, considering that their own Morph Ball experiments ended... badly. Still, it was incredibly convenient for me. I laid several bombs under them, but they didn't seem to notice, so I moved on.

I avoided small barriers and watched above me as several Space Pirates jumped into a Dark Portal. I ended up on the side of the room, and took out the two remaining Space Pirates, trying up my Dark Beam as I did. Upon charging, the Dark Beam freezes opponents in their tracks. On my second play, I tried the Light Beam, and was delighted to find that the spread shots home in on targets, instead of going in a straight light. #@$%$# sweet. Scanning the various terminals in the room revealed basic information about the Dark World. There were several reported casualties, yada yada.

I moved to the Dark Portal, because that's obviously what I was supposed to do. I walked through it, and then decided to stand still in it, feeling dumb. For a moment, I thought maybe I was in the Dark World, and that the transformation was merely cosmetic. But seeing nothing different, I decided that that hypothesis was wrong, and, seeing a mini-elevator, charged it up.

Moving upstairs, and being required to do a double-jump, I noticed that they changed the physics of it some. Not a whole lot, but it will be noticable until you get used to the new physics. One Space Pirate appears, and I dispatch of him quickly.

Moving towards the locked door that opened up when I defeated that pirate, I was completely taken off-guard when I found a Pirate behind some kind of a laser-glass, in what looked like the control room, directly to my right. I fired at him, but the glass seemed to be impenetrable (at least by the Power Beam), so I just sat there, staring at him. Waiting for him to signal an alarm, or something. And right then, he shot me! Completely off-guard twice in a matter of seconds. I dispatch of him through the now-broken glass, and find that I can't jump through it. So, going back upstairs, I go through the now-open door.

In the room, I see what could be a cage with it's doors wide open. The door is hooked up to some kind of generator, like the kind you would find in the Phazon Mines in Prime 1. As I a move closer, I am surprised when the cage doors crash closed and HOLY #@$%$ IT'S #$%$#@$%ing DARK SAMUS!!!

She flies backwards, farther into wherever that is, but I am unable to follow, or shoot her, because of the door. I look around, but there's no way to follow her.

Going into the other door in that room, I reach the control room where I had shot the Pirate before, and turn on the Dark Portal. Duh.

Now, I go in the Dark Portal for real. Very cool warping effects. In a cut-scene, Samus is freaking surprised to find out that the Dark World hurts her when she sticks her hand out. The Portal back to the lab disappears, leaving me in a bubble of Light energy in the Dark World.

Scanning, I found a couple of dead Space Pirate carcasses lying in the Darkness. They were dead for various different reasons, but all of the scanning revealed that they had been infested with some kind of parasite, and were terminated by their fellow Pirates. Interesting. I ready myself, and jump to the next bubble.

The first thing I notice is that while, yes, you lose energy in the Dark Matter, you gain energy while standing in the Light zones. I don't know if you guys knew that, but I hadn't read it. I noticed then that I had nowhere else to go, but, seeing a floating bubble, I shot it with a Light Beam to reveal a bubble. I tried shooting the crystal in the previous bubble, but it didn't make that bubble any larger. Oh well.

In the next room, I burn down a Dark spiderweb with the Light Beam. Moving on to burn several more Dark spiderwebs, I run into the Dark Matter and into the next room. One of the bubbles you can shoot for a Light bubble is right at the door, but I totally bypass it and run to the next functioning bubble.

That's when the monsters appeared. Imagine the outcome if a horse and a spider mated. Okay, now give it one glowing red eye. And dreadlocks made out of Dark Matter. That's what these monsters looked like.

Obviously, I was supposed to shoot these things with the Light Beam, so that's what I did. (These are the monsters that can turn into direct Dark energy to move around. They are invulnerable when they do this.) I only got hit once, when one of them swiped at me from outside. Apparently, they can't come into the bubble with you, which was convenient for me. *Note: On my third time playing, on of them shot me with some kind of beam, propelling far from my Light bubble! Luckily, I actually landed inside another one, but it was still kind of unsettling. I hadn't encountered that attack upon my last two plays.

It was at that moment that I ran out of Light Ammunition. I could see one of the Light balls ahead of me, waiting to be shot so it could turn into a bubble. No such luck. So instead I ran straight at it, hoping to find another dome.

What I hadn't realized is that it wasn't one of the balls, it was a portal. Walking into it, I was brought to a Mission Complete screen. Demo over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overall, I liked it much better than I expected to. I figured it would be more of the same, but it was different enough to feel brand-new. The only complaint I have is with the new precision required for Scanning.

IceClimersrule14

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Cashed
I'm growing impatient... People on the East Coast are getting their Prime 2 demos and I live an hour from NOA Headquarters and haven't recieved mine.

Angst.
That's me on the east coast with the bonus disc here today :p.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I got my disc yesterday, just like old Niner. Overall I was very pleased with the demo and McNine pretty much said everything there was to be said.

I thought the Ing kinda just stood there when I was killing them... Well, when I charged up my light beam. When I just kept firing short shots from the light beam they seemed to fight back more, but when I charged up the light gun... they seemed to just stand there and take the beating. Hopefully they'll be a little more aggressive in the final game. One thing I noticed and KI did too, the Space Pirates actually look like Space Pirates now (In Prime they didn't even have the claw arms) and they seemed to be a lot more aggressive than in the original Prime.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
For those poor souls who don't have the demo disk (Curse you all, disk havers!) I have found some NEW pics.

*Drools*

Stopsign

Smash Ace
Yea, it all looks good to me. So far looks like it might not be quite as mouth wateringly good as the first one when you play it. But it is still going to be awesome. The only thing I've been disapointed in hearing about is that the light and dark beam have ammo. I don't like being conservative. I would much rather overkill everything I shoot at.

Top Bottom