• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Spoiler-free!)

Death

Smash Lord
This game is going to be pretty ******* good! I can't wait til it comes out in Toronto. Nice graphics and all. Gonna be great!

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Originally posted by Stopsign
The only thing I've been disapointed in hearing about is that the light and dark beam have ammo. I don't like being conservative. I would much rather overkill everything I shoot at.
Well, playing through the demo, I only ran out of ammo once, and that was because I spent five minutes shooting at these gigantic insects (who are invicible, it seems). And even then, I only started with 50 ammo, and there's room on the bar for a lot more. My second and third play through the demo, I was definitely not conservative with the two special beams, and I never really came close to losing all my ammo.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Hey, I'm back!

The multiplayer shots above have some Samus color variations I haven't seen before. Maybe it was just the lighting, but I don't remember seeing an orange/blue one before!

I'm glad that someone agrees with me on the Scan Visor. It's bad; much worse than Prime's. When I first played the demo (spending what seemed like more time in Scan Visor mode), I kept wondering where the squares were until the color indicated that it needed to be scanned or had been.

By the way, I finally beat Fusion, so now I'm being entertained by Metroid.

Originally posted by Raccoon87
The multiplayer shots above have some Samus color variations I haven't seen before. Maybe it was just the lighting, but I don't remember seeing an orange/blue one before!
Aww, that's just so you can tell who's what player. No big. Just so you can figure out who's where.

In the original Metroid, the Missiles had ammo, and it never became too much of a problem (except in Tourian), so I'm not too upset about light/dark ammo. And after what Nine said, I'm feeling even more sure.

Oh, and before I forget, W/b '**** :)

Nic64

Smash Lord
Looking great so far, every time I see new pics I have massive nerdgasms.

I think that adding a multiplayer was a mistake though, there's already lots of idiots that try to compare Halo to MP and now this is going to make it worse...

(besides if you want an online FPS PC > Xbox)

Death

Smash Lord
The multiplayer might make the whole game better!... or worse. Anyway, can't WAIT til it comes out. 2 months and 3 days til it comes out here.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I know this might seem obvious, but if you don't like the Multiplayer, DON'T PLAY IT! It's just a little bonus, not the bulk of the game.

Stopsign

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Nic64

I think that adding a multiplayer was a mistake though, there's already lots of idiots that try to compare Halo to MP and now this is going to make it worse...

(besides if you want an online FPS PC > Xbox)
Your saying that MP is better than Halo. I think they are about the same and excel in different ways. One thing that Halo was better at is adding lots of good multiplayer modes which most people think are awesome. I bet they are but I have never played them. I think multi player will add a great element to the game. Not make it worse. We will see when it comes out.

Nic64

Smash Lord
I didn't say MP is better than Halo, simply that people shouldn't compare them because they're completely different and this causes comparisons.

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
Well, it's only at Rating Pending right now, so it's not like the box art is finalized. They might change it at the last minute, seeing as how they've done that for many games. This one looks pretty convincing, though, so it might be the official one.

I actually made a boxart image using other pics and stuff. It's not good at all, but I thought this was a fitting place to mention it. Once I'm able to re-upload it, maybe I'll share it, but it probably won't ever be fixed.

Death

Smash Lord
I agree with it being dull. Oh I just started playing MP again... Just to relive how the game goes. Right now I just got the wavebeam and I started 2 days ago.

Nic64

Smash Lord
I don't think the box art's bad, not as dull as Wind Waker and an improvement over the original Metroid Prime in my opinion.

This was brought up at IGN's boards and I thought it might be worth discussing here...would it ruin Echoes if Samus was in a thong at the end? Would it make it better?

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
This was brought up at IGN's boards and I thought it might be worth discussing here...would it ruin Echoes if Samus was in a thong at the end? Would it make it better?
That is one of the worst ideas ever. Seriously. Just because there are a bunch of horny teenagers who can't get any action and are trying to fill the holes in their hearts with girls who are not real, does not mean that the rest of us need to see the greater part of Samus's virtual buttcheeks.

Unless you are talking about thong sandals, because I think that would be pretty funny.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I think the reason that idea's come up was with Fusion (and possibly others) the better you did, the more she took off, up to a point with a 1 piece bikini. I hope it doesn't happen for MP2. It was good with MP1....

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
I think that at the end of Echoes that there should be at least a little bit of her human side showing. Perhaps the end could have her standing above her ship with her helmet off and holes (possibly caused by eaten-through Phazon) around her suit. But don't sell her body.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Alright, time for some new stuff! I'm surprised nobody else has said anything yet...

The latest issue of NP went a little bit into the story and mechanics of MP2. Mainly, it provided images and descriptions for the new equipment. As could have been easily predicted, there is a Dark Suit, and it looks... cool, but non-traditional. Other than NP, I don't have any sources, but I'm sure someone could find pics somewhere >_> They don't provide much information about it either, just that it obviously allows her to survive in Dark Aether.

Next up is the Seeker Missile. It's basically that multi-targeting thing that was in some of the preview clips. "Samus's Seeker Missile allows her to target up to five enemies at a time. When the weapon locks on, a volley of missiles will fly from her launcher and chase down the hapless victims".

Dark Visor. "Perfect for Aether's Dark World, the Dark Visor allows Samus to see certain enemies that are cloaked or otherwise invisible". From the screenshot provided, the view changes to what looks like a cross between the Heat Visor and X-Ray Visor of the last game; background is an indefinite blue/grey while enemies come up in different shades of red.

New kind of space pirates to fight as well. The Space Pirate Commandos look like an attempted cross between Samus's Power Suit and Space Pirates; very sleek and dangerous-like. There are some parts of their... "body", I guess, that easily resemble the Power Suit, but most obvious is the addition of an arm cannon. There's also a missile launcher (I'm assuming) mounted on their right shoulder. From the looks of them I'd say they were some type of Space Pirate cyborg, but the article doesn't say anything about them other than the name.

Finally, they touched on Multiplayer a bit.
As you've no doubt heard, Echoes contains a kicking multiplayer mode in which up to four players duke it out for bounty hunter supremacy. We currently have confirmation of two modes: Deathmatch (slay your opponents, natch) and Bounty (collect cash that falls from defeated corpses). And though the lock-on targeting system might seem like an anathema to a multiplayer game, it's not. If you're targeted, you can always use the Morph Ball or a double jump to escape. You can also use the Scan Visor to inflict nasty conditions on your hapless foes.
They also told/confirmed a bit of the background story regarding Aether.
Eons ago, the Luminoth- an intelligent race that values peace and knowledge above all else- settled on paradisial planet Aether, where war, famine and disease were all but forgotten. During their reign, they constructed four Energy Controllers which used the internal energy of Aether itself as a power source. After many centuries the splendor of Aether was threatened by an approaching Phazon meteor. When the incoming asteroid struck Aether, the massive explosion sundered the planet into a Light World and a Dark World, and gave birth to the Ing. The war of Aether has raged ever since.
Hopefully somebody can find some pics to go along with my descriptions >_>

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Here's the best part of the article: "We currently have confirmation of two modes."

Hopefully that means that there will be more modes, hopefully more fun.

And I'm really looking forward to story mode; that's the reason I'm getting this game. I really hope there is a lot of interaction between the GF, Samus, Space Pirates, Ing, and Luminoth.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Wow that doesn't look too bad though the color resembles the phazon suit from the first. not to bad though. It makes me impatient that I have to wait for another month and 17 days though.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Looks like she's going to pull a Transformer move and twist herself into some vehicle. :| Those shoulders seriously look like they could be used for transportation.

Personally, I think the color scheme should have some sort of purple on it... seeing as the Dark matter is purple and black. Looks pretty cool though, doesn't look like she has that much armor on that suit though. Kinda like the Fusion suit, more of a cover.

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
i agree. the shoulder pads look like huge wheels.
does anyone else think the dark beam kinda resembles the ice beam? not only in the way that it stops enemies from moving, but the way it looks looks like the ice beam, except it's purple where the ice beam was white.

firaga01

Smash Lord
What a horrible skin. I'd have to agree with the rest of you wit the pseudo-wheels...At least Dark Samus looks prett good.

soroush123

Smash Lord
I personaly am glad that the screw attack is here. Plus, there is proboly another suit later that'll look cooler, I just hope it doesn't get ripped off you and turned into some wierd dark counterpart thingy (well, that's what I think)

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer

Is the official boxart. Just like what was posted a few weeks ago, only it seems to be a little more colored and not so washed out now.

Mewtwo is #1

Smash Lord
drat!

I liked the other box-art better....just black with the Title printed on it, and that black circle.....it gave it a sense of mystery....and since Metroid Prime is mysteryish, well, I thought that fit it.....this one seems to colorful and "happy".

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
It's kind of interesting where the rating signal is placed, since that's probably the first time a GCN game's rating thing is placed on the left instead of the right, like most other Gamecube games. It's not a big deal really, but I figured I'd point that out.

I kind of like the new boxart, but it seems a bit "crowded", kind of pseudo-technical. It's kind of nice that way, but I still wish they would've used a different stance.

Blazin Elf

Smash Apprentice
I played the Echoes demo today and all I can say is if anything proves the existance of God, this does. I love the way it sounds like it branches directly off of MP. The light and dark beams are fun to play with and multiplayer looks awsome. I hope the SA isn't as broken as it was in fusion.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Wow it looks better this time. I think they should have made Samus look better.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Cerb, you should know... especially since this is a SSBM website... SSBM's rating is also in the lower left hand corner. So is Prince of Persia's, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!'s and F-Zero GX's.

Those are my games I could find with it on the lower left hand corner, I'm sure there are a lot more.

soroush123

Smash Lord
You know, the dark suit looks like parts of the suit were REMOVED. Perhaps an infection from that paracite?

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Cashed
Cerb, you should know... especially since this is a SSBM website... SSBM's rating is also in the lower left hand corner. So is Prince of Persia's, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!'s and F-Zero GX's.

Those are my games I could find with it on the lower left hand corner, I'm sure there are a lot more.
Yeah, I just found that out today from another site. I even looked on my SSBM box, and it was the same as mentioned. Same for MK: DD!! and F-Zero also? I checked another site, and they only mentioned SSBM and Tales of Symphonia.

I'm soo apathetic...:(

To Arrow: I know, but I don't care either way.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
My comments...

The boxart - well, personally I liked it before just fine (before they added the tech-symbols)... seems a bit cluttered now. Still looks cool though. Reminds me a little of the Japanese box art for MP.

The Dark Suit - Nice! I think Retro really has the right idea when it comes to expanding the Metroid series here. First they used a bold new color change in MP rather than just the plain old Varia and Gravity variations. Now they're using cosmetic changes too! I would really like to see more types of suits in the future (maybe even in Echoes?). I think the shoulders look really cool.

SA? Wazzat?
My guess would be Screw Attack.

I'm soo apathetic...
I think the word you're looking for is 'ignorant'. Apathetic would mean you don't care.

If anyone cares (nice segue), Nate of Metroid Prime speed running fame has released the first ever MP2: Echoes speed run! Well, sort of. It's a speed run of the demo. Retro seems to have taken extra steps in MP2 to make it more difficult to sequence break, such as preventing you from standing on as many scenery objects as you could in Prime, but you can still use techniques like scan-dashing to save time. Nate also managed to find a short cut or two you may not have known about. So give it a watch (it's also a nice video for those who haven't played the demo and want to see it).

http://www.planetquake.com/sda/other/MetroidEchoes.html

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
That I love Beams one seriously made me laugh out loud. Especially since on Halo2.com the front page says "ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US" in Covenant code. It just... makes fun of Halo 2 in so many small ways. Nintendo + 1.

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
for some reason, i thought the game was gonna be released on oct 27, but then i saw a comercial that said nov 17...

it was a pretty cool commercial. i came in halfway but i saw the words go something like "you will be afraid of the dark" or something like that.

does anyone know how many beam weapons there will be? all i know is the power light and dark beams, but is there a fourth that has been revealed yet?

Top Bottom