• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Spoiler-free!)

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
The fourth beam has been revealed. Spoiler follows:
The fourth beam is known as the Annihilator, and uses both dark and light beam ammo to fire.

It's currently unknown if there will be more beams than those 4.

BTW, if you like those sites Mic linked to, you might also find these of interest (You really only need bother checking one... they're all the same as ilovebeams)...

http://www.iloveskis.com/
http://www.ilovekeys.com/
http://www.iloveknees.com/
http://www.ilovesneeze.com/

Nintendo really went site registering crazy.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Originally posted by Lightsaberboy
all your bees are belong to us? huh? i dont get it >_<
By Cashed
Especially since on Halo2.com the front page says "ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US" in Covenant code. It just... makes fun of Halo 2 in so many small ways.

Ice_Climbers2

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by Arrow
The fourth beam has been revealed. Spoiler follows:
The fourth beam is known as the Annihilator, and uses both dark and light beam ammo to fire.

It's currently unknown if there will be more beams than those 4.
Where'd you find that bit of spoiler info? I dont disbelieve you, just curious where you found it. ;)

I sure hope there are more than four beams now since
the fourth beam also uses ammo.
. We need some more variety with all this light and dark. Besides, what would a Metroid game be like with out the Ice Beam?

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Looks like retro loves making new suits for samus.
Woah, tons of new screenshots! Is that a boss you have to fight while in morph ball mode? I think the new suit looks very sexy... I'd like to see what that helmet looks like from the front.

Where'd you find that bit of spoiler info? I dont disbelieve you, just curious where you found it.
Well, I specifically found it being mentioned in the metroid2002.com forums. The source was an interview with Retro employees. I'm disappointed by the lack of an ice beam too (how else are you supposed to kill Metroids!?), but apparently for this installment, the Dark Beam has taken its place. The 3 new beams are basically using the same engine as the beams from Prime. The Dark Beam is a slow firing shot with freezing abilities (Ice Beam), the Light Beam is a shorter range, but fast shot with a wide firing cone when charged (Plasma Beam), and
the Annihilator has homing shots (Wave Beam).
If you notice, the graphics for the gun arm itself are even the same as they were in Prime (Ice Beam shaped arm is the same as the Dark Beam arm).

I don't get what the first 2 havta do with Metroid Prime 2 and which video are you talking about?
Do a little more searching on Channel 51, and you'll find some stills and videos that, although staticy, should look very familiar. Also, the site owner of Channel 51 is named "Samantha Marus" and lives in "Sumas". Channel 51 makes many references to Orbis Labs, which appears to be researching some kind of combat ball ;)

EDIT: Spoiler if you aren't a Nintendo Power subscriber. The latest issue confirms both the
Annihilator
and the
Light Suit
, which is the same one as in the screen shot that was linked to a couple posts ago.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Yes there is. Put $5 down on it and you get a free T-shirt. The T-shirt says "Universal Bounty Hunters: Saving one planet at a time."

The Windwaker

Smash Journeyman
The game is no longer called Metroid Prime 2: Echoes... it's not named Metroid Prime 2: Dark Echoes. I guess they wanted to throw that in there and it does make more sense. Along with this name change another one of Nintendo's games got a name change. Star Fox is now Star Fox Assault... I personally liked Armada better.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Originally posted by The Windwaker
The game is no longer called Metroid Prime 2: Echoes... it's not named Metroid Prime 2: Dark Echoes. I guess they wanted to throw that in there and it does make more sense. Along with this name change another one of Nintendo's games got a name change. Star Fox is now Star Fox Assault... I personally liked Armada better.
No, I'm pretty sure it's still called Echoes.

soberfox

BRoomer
BRoomer
What is up with that list of links that all take you to the same place? Why were those made, and how the **** did you find them?..unless of course, you made them yourself...

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
ilovecapris.com?
Hilarious!

To sober: Its a spoof on www.ilovebees.com, a site premoting Halo 2.
It doesn't take alot of work to get a bunch of different addresses to the same page. I'm not sure of the cost, but if Nintendo is funding it cost wouldn't even be an issue.

~ Azure

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Venom Dream
ilovecapris.com?
Hilarious!

To sober: Its a spoof on www.ilovebees.com, a site premoting Halo 2.
It doesn't take alot of work to get a bunch of different addresses to the same page. I'm not sure of the cost, but if Nintendo is funding it cost wouldn't even be an issue.

~ Azure
Yeah, ilovebees scares me.

FaTmAn2k20

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm... I'm considering getting this instead of MGS3, and then just borrowing my friend's MGS3 whenever he finishes it. I don't really know why, but I'm pretty sure it's because of that sweet T-shirt.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Hmmm... I'm considering getting this instead of MGS3, and then just borrowing my friend's MGS3 whenever he finishes it.
It's frickin' awesome that you've stopped writing in black, kiddo.

Keep up the good work.

And yeah, I'll be getting this game on Christmas. No question.

Bowser87

Smash Lord
I reserved it today, but the offer is different in Canada. Instead of a t-shirt, we get a f*cking CD case shaped like a Morph Ball with the MP2 logo on it. It sucks, but I still got something free. Maybe it's time I get a CD player now.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Originally posted by Bowser87
I reserved it today, but the offer is different in Canada. Instead of a t-shirt, we get a f*cking CD case shaped like a Morph Ball with the MP2 logo on it. It sucks, but I still got something free. Maybe it's time I get a CD player now.
That's actually not to bad of a trade off. The CD case sounds awesome. Wish I had one.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Personally, I think the CD case sounds way cooler than the shirt. The shirt looks... kind of lame. First of all, the color... wtf. Secondly, it looks way too "festive" for a Metroid shirt. Why can't someone just make a shirt with a big picture of a metroid on the front. That would be "the bomb". The sold out Hot Topic ones have been the best Metroid shirts I've seen so far. Heck, I'd take a shirt with the image from the ilovebeams sites that says "Never send a man to do a woman's job".

Though I haven't gotten my latest EGM yet, I'm betting that the only reason they gave MP2 only one 10 is so that Halo 2 could be the game of the month, and not have to face outrage from X-Box fans. I'm not implying that Halo 2 doesn't deserve it's score... but from what I've seen/played of both games, MP2 is just as good as Halo 2, if not better.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Arrow, where are you hearing these scores for the games? I've heard scores about all of the big games that are being reviewed in the latest issue, but they are just rumors. The next issue doesn't come out for at least another week, even for suscribers.

I'd preorder Echoes if I could get a CD instead of a t-shirt.

Bowser87

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Raccoon87

I'd preorder Echoes if I could get a CD instead of a t-shirt.
CD case, not CD.

That box art makes me long for the game even more. The game will come out only the 17th here, and I'll get it the 20th.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I wonder who got the game so early. I don't get it until next week. That boxart is pretty cool.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by MEWTWOMASTER2002
I wonder who got the game so early. I don't get it until next week. That boxart is pretty cool.
Game review sites have already received the full version of MP2.

The boxart is really nice. Though it's hard to tell from the picture, I heard that it has kind of a holographic thing going on.

Definitely check out metroid.com if you haven't already. The site is set up to be interactive in such a way that exporing the site is kind of like playing Metroid Prime 2. You move around through different areas and scan items/enemies to open game footage and downloadable content. It even keeps track of your item collection percentage!

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
THE SCORES! So far...

EGM: 9.3/10
1up: 8.5/10
NOM UK: 97/100
Gamespot: 9.1/10
IGN: 9.5/10
Gamepro: 5/5

Average: 9.35

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Honestly I expect slightly better scores, but dang they are still very impressive.

Also most of the complains have been about:

Backtracking
I love the backtracking Metroid games. It's done in a way so when you backtrack you go through some rooms you've seen before, btu because you have all these new powers you get a new fresh impression of the rooms you backtrack through.

Difficulty
They say that Metroid Prime 2 has gotten a bit harder. But being European and haveing the harder version of Metroid prime I can only say that this is indeed a postive thing. Hard Mode on the PAL Metroid Prime is soooo much fun.

Controls
The controls for Metroid Prime were perfect imo, however I can see why some people want retro to at least include an option to have dual analog.

Multiplayer
Well I've always been against multiplayer in Prime, so it's sad to see point being taken off because of this new feature. However I find it annoying when people complain about it not being online. Was Goldeneye and Perfect Dark not great games?

More boxart shots

Do you like my new avi and banner?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
MK, everyone complains about no online in the game because we live in a time where online is the new in-thing. It's the most popular thing to do, N64 didn't have online capabilties, yet the GameCube does. Does Nintendo support the online though? No, they don't think it's a profitable form of business.

Online though... Online really can make a game. Halo 2 wouldn't be as fun as it is if it weren't online. I love playing with Osco, INFESTD and other people I don't know. I can also play against my friends without having to go over to their house. Sure it just sounds lazy, but it's a lot easier.

And you think it's silly for it being scored down for no online? Mario Power Tennis got scored down for a function that can be turned off. I bought Mario Power Tennis today too, really fun.

Anyways, I have Prime 2 reserved and got the shirt. I don't know how I'm going to get $45 in 2 days though. :p

soroush123

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Metroid Killer
Do you like my new avi and banner?
Yes, very sick.

Anyway, I;m hoping to get this mainly for the MP, so it sure as **** better be good.

CerbKirby

Smash Lord
I would like to note that the boxart for MP2: Echoes is super badass! I would also like to make some notes and points about the game.

From what I can imagine from the game, the multiplayer doesn't really seem to add that much to the game. You could go as far as to say it "takes away from the single-player", but the multiplayer wasn't really made to be a big deal about the game. If you want a mulitplayer Metroid frag-fest, I'd say MP: Hunters would be a suitable game (again, this is judging from other areas, not experience), but the multiplayer in MP2: Echoes is merely a bonus for the people who want to take a break from traveling between light and dark worlds, fighting Ing, etc.

Also, as for the online, it might've been a nice addition to the game, but it's not like it's a regular FPS that people would want online (even if it was more regular like that, it probably wouldn't online for the Cube anyway ;)). The single-player aspect of Metroid games has always been their best appeal (and in most cases, their only appeal), and I can't see someone sacrificing a beautiful, atmospheric game with an awesome single-player just to get online play against some people they don't even know. Also, four people is fine by me, and you certainly don't need LAN/online for that, unless you really need a whole screen of your own.

If Nintendo will make any money off of Metroid for its multiplayer, it should definitely be MP: Hunters. It's basically what everyone asks for: local wireless connection, no split screens (how could you do that on a handheld anyway?), and possibility of over 4 people included in Samus frag-fests. The graphics are shaping up as well, and whatever DemaSked does for playing with people over long distances, it can surely be good.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Actually I was more annoyed by the fact that they take points off multiplayer because its without online mode when most people who've played multiplayer simply complained about that it simply doesn't work. As in Metroid is never meant to be played as a multiplayer.

From the impressions I've heard even an online standard like Halo 2 wouldn't save Metroid Prime's multiplayer.

However some people do find the multiplayer fun.

Gamepro:
"There's more good news, and it's in the form of MP 2's long-awaited multiplayer mode. It may not stand toe-to-toe with Halo 2's jack-of-all-trades multiplayer, but it's simple, quirky, and ridiculously addictive--all the earmarks of a classic party game."

Kick arse wallpaper (no spoiler)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Originally posted by Cashed
Anyways, I have Prime 2 reserved and got the shirt. I don't know how I'm going to get $45 in 2 days though. :p
Oh moan, moan, moan. In aus, it's $100, without the Tee. :mad:

Top Bottom