• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Spoiler-free!)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
No it does not. Us aussies are getting majorly ripped off. Example. 1 aussie dollar = ~77US cents.
So $45 US should be $58.2975 aus. But noooooooo. Hence my frigin' annoyance.

Thankyou, and come again.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
So it's worth $77US in Australia? That really sucks. I'm getting my preordered copy tomorrow at gamestop:D . Who else is getting it or already has it?

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
"I Got To Play and Awesome Game, and All I Got Was This Crappy T-Shirt!
And the Game..."
We can add an OH NOES! to the end, too, for good measure...

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have Metroid Prime 2.

I... played Metroid Prime 2.

I... had to change my pants after playing Metroid Prime 2.

And now I do believe I will go play some more Metroid Prime 2 :D

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's Tuesday. The game I've been waiting for years finally arrives on shelves, and I'm sitting in school just waiting for it to get out so I can head to the store and buy it. When I get it (after some lengthy playtime), expect some raving about it here.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Well, could we do what we did when the first Prime came out and made a non-spoiler topic and spoiler/help topic? I really don't want to learn about what happens at the end when I'm not there.

I really want to get this game. Unfortunately, no store has a good enough deal. I'm tight on money, and Target has an amazing deal on Paper Mario for $40. Not to mention that some stores will sell Twin Snakes for $10! So, if I can scrounge up $50, AND if the stores will ease the burden even the least bit, then I'll be playing Echoes alongside all of you.

And without bots, I bet multiplayer will useless on my disc.

Bowser87

Smash Lord
I'm doing the exact same thing! Except I'll get the game the 20th.

I learned too much stuff from visiting the official website, despite the fact that I didn't read anything about the Luminoth, Ing, etc. They revealed way too much about the Amorbis fight for example, everybody knows how to beat it before having the game now.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Originally posted by Metroid Killer
Ok I made I spoiler topic. I wont get the game until the 26th which really suck (but at least Europe doesn't get it months later this time).
Yay! Australia too! Take that you 50htz monster!

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's good to see you back MK!

Personally i'll get this game for Christmas, and i'll be buying Paper Mario 2 first. I have seen very little about this game(same goes for Paper Mario 2) so I think i'll have a great time not knowning what to expect.

HeroOfTime

BRoomer
BRoomer
I won't be getting it until Christmas either. So I'm playing Metroid Prime through also. This'll be my first time beating it though...

*waits for the rocks*

I haven't a good excuse why I didn't yet though. Oh well. It's a good game. :p

Dapenda

Smash Champion
great game, dont forget to scan the bosses & minibosses b4 AND after they've been infected by the dark purple cloud stuff

Bahful

Smash Apprentice
Hmm..only just got to the third save point, but, I dunno, seems to be shaping up to be an obscenely excellent game. Very, moody, atmospheric...there were times when the creep factor bordered on downright scary. Of course, it lacks the original mystical, magical feel the first one had when, for the first time, you realized you were actually looking through the gosh-darned visor of Samus Aran, herself. Of course, you can't blame Retro for this, just noticed it was something I missed.

The menu screen is more "computer-ish" than the first and there's a very distinct blue-black theme. But you also get some organic teasers of what looks like very insectoidy appendages. Also, I found the way they transformed "Retro Studios" into "Metroid Prime" keeping some of the letters and shifting the others, quite clever.

After you press the Start button, you'll get to a screen where you can decide to go into the Single or Multi Player modes. The setup itself is essentially two balls, fixed to a center axiom, that shift about with your analog stick. It's an approach that is used throughout the game like in the logbook and such. It's very organized, but it didn't feel very intuitive and took a little while to get used to.

Anyhow...hope that sated you for the meanwhile, if it didn't, that's okay, I get to replay the experience in my head all over again. Something to warm me over til the weekend where I'll probably get a more extended playtime.

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
The graphics improved... More background actions than before. A LOT better IMO. I've had it since launch, and started playing it friday. Haven't stopped, 50% done, and I already know its a ****load better than Prime.

Not a big spoiler... but the multiplayer sucks ***. Also, don't play it until you beat the game, multiplayer will not only tell you every power up, but lets you use it. It's also not even worth the time :-p

Bowser87

Smash Lord
Yes, it's really ****ing good, I've had it since friday and played about 9 hours so far. There was one thing I didn't like at the beginning though, the music, but after a while there were some good themes (Spolier:
The 2 Brinstar themes from Super Metroid!
)

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry that I haven't posted anything about the game yet... I've been very busy with work and school. And when I'm not involved in those, well... I'm playing MP2 ;) I estimate that I'm about 75% through the game right now... I should probably beat it within the next few days, depending on how much time I have to play. Here's some of my impressions so far, and I'll try to keep them as spoiler free as possible.

First of all, since MK requested it, here's what I think of the new menu. The "web" system seemed kind of awkward at first (basically, you spin the selections around a central axis, in any direction), but once you get used to it, it's pretty cool. On a related note, I really like the new logbook. It breaks down your scans into more refined subcategories, and keeps individual scan percentages for each category. For instance, if you go under the Creatures category, you'll have selections for Aether creatures, Dark Aether creatures, and Off-world creatures. Then if I select Aether creatures, it will break them down into the types of creatures... large, small, flying, aquatic, or something like that (I'm doing this from memory). Some of the categories get very refined. It makes searching for things in your logbook very easy (they're not just all in a random order like they were in Prime), and it also makes narrowing down scans you missed easier as well, since I might see that I have 100% of the large creature scans, and vehicle scans, but I'm missing a flying creature scan, etc.

Ok, now onto the game itself. Control is pretty much identical to Prime. If you played Prime, you will be able to jump into Echoes and immediately feel at home. Graphics are a bit better than they were in Prime, and there's an even greater attention to detail than there was before. Sound effects are basically all the same as the ones in Prime. The music is about on the same level as well. I haven't run across any tunes quite as catchy as the Phendrana music, but just like how Prime borrowed the Ridley and Norfair music, Prime 2 borrows it's own share of classic songs, all of which have been very pleasent surprises (highlight, for musical spoilers):
Both Brinstar songs from Super Metroid are used, as well as the classic item room song for when you kill a boss. The Brinstar 2 music (which is used for lower Torvus) is by far my favorite song in the game, no surprise since it was my favorite song in Super Metroid.

The plot is fairly simple, though it gets fleshed out a ton by all the Luminoth, Space Pirate, and Federation lore you download. A big change here is that you have a friendly ally on Aether who informs you on where you should go next. But don't worry... it's nothing like Metroid Fusion. Though there are sections of the map that will be blocked until you defeat certain bosses, the game is still pretty similar to Prime, allowing you to go back and explore tons of new areas every time you find a new power-up. The world itself is divided into seperate regions, like Prime, and each is uniquely beautiful, and features scenery significantly varied from that in Prime. In particular, the (minor spoiler)
Sanctuary Fortress
region is very unique and cool... it looks very high tech. The world seems to be about the same size as Tallon IV, with one difference... there is also Dark Aether, which makes the total play area much larger. The Dark Aether areas are somewhat less scenic, but probably intentionally. The area isn't one that's supposed to be intended for exploration, but one you're supposed to want to get out of. Being in Dark Aether definitely creates a sense of urgency. There's not much else I can say about it without stepping into spoiler territory, so I'll leave it at that. One more note regarding the areas... no two rooms are alike this time. Remember how in Prime there would be that one S-corridor that appears like 5 times? Not in Prime 2... every insignificant hallway is unique, and a work of art. The detail is really something that has to be seen.

Ok, difficulty. Echoes' difficulty is about the same as Prime's... maybe a little tougher. Battles tend to require a bit more quick reflexes with dodging and attacking than before. Bosses especially will require a great deal more strategy than in Prime. And speaking of bosses... there's a lot of them. Most of them aren't too tough, but so far there's been two bosses that caused me to get a game over, and one of them I even lost against twice before managing to beat him. I've also had more than a few close calls where I defeated a boss with less than an energy tank of health remaining. Definitely makes the game a lot more fun, IMO.

I really only have two complaints about the game, and one of them is a spoiler if you don't know about all the power-ups, so read it at your own risk. 1. The game is largely key driven. Remember having to find all the chozo artifacts in Prime to open the Impact Crater? Well, it's like that, but worse. It's a type of gameplay that I don't think really lends itself to the Metroid series well, but it's not so bad that it's ruined my enjoyment of the game. 2. (spoiler)
I was somewhat surprised at how soon you find the Light Beam after finding the Dark Beam. It's like within 10 minutes of each other. It seemed like a poor decision, since you don't really get to experiment with the usefulness of the Dark Beam before getting the Light. Also, it made me feel rather overwhelmed because there were now twice as many doors I could go back and check out.

That's all for now. I forgot to talk about multiplayer, but I don't have time right now before class, so I'll do it later. If anyone has questions about the game, feel free to ask.

EvilEvincar

Smash Journeyman
Then I'll guess I will talk about multiplayer. I got a chance to play a few matches of MP2 when it was used in a random videogame tournament (they used Donkey Konga, how much more random can you get?) I probably should note that none of this information I consider spoiler, since I believe this was right out the box (they didn't use a memory card).
Anyway, the multiplayer is at least ok, if not good. So far it doesn't seem to be increadibly deep as SSBM, but there does seem to be plenty of tricks here and there. For example, in one level you can mount a powerful turret, which someone could blowup via a morphball switch.
Missiles was the weapon of my choice, since once people got used to targeting, dodging was regular shots seemed easy.
The Deathball was the ability of choice. It does kill usually with one hit, although sometimes it didn't. One could still dodge it if chased, as I was nearly able to do once (somebody had to shove me).
The main problem was simply there was only two high powered weapons in the game, the Anillator (sp?) and Deathball. But then again, I know that I don't know all of the tricks that exist in the game, since the person who owned it was constantly able to kill me fairly quickly.
Overall, it is certainly no Halo. There is some depth in the tricks one could pull off, but it doesn't contain the high amounts of action that one would normally see in a multiplayer game. It isn't bad; I think it's just good, but not great.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Thanks a lot for the impressions very appreciated!

Man I'm soooo hyped! I'll get the game tomorrow and will skip school friday and devote the whole day to Echoes.

So far people have told me that it's a lot better then Metroid Prime except the fresh feeling isn't as big anymore.

Bowser87

Smash Lord
Well, anybody else with some comments about the game?

I'm at 50% right now, and I must say that
Sanctuary Fortress
RULES! It's one of the strangest, most psychedelic video game places I've ever seen.

Also. that 2nd Temple boss fight was awesome.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
I'm about 40% in (a little over 10 hours eventhough I'm sure I must have spent an additional 5 hours just on dieing and reading the logbook, unless it counts that too).

I just got the
Spiderball
and **** those
Ingsmashers
are soo cool, much more frightening than those grenchlers which were much more frightening than the sheegoths from Prime ;)

Here's how I would evaluate each area:

The beginning - Temple grounds
: Very awesome, very creepy, just to see those dead soldiers frightened the crap out of me, and as in any other Metroid game you feel so fragile in the beginning with so little powers. I truly felt isolated untill I met the Luminoth.

Agon Wastes
: A bit underwhelming. I guess it's nice to have a
sand
themed area instead of the usual ice/fire/grass/etc. but it kinda felt dull to me. Had some coll enemies and awesome bosses.

Torvus Bog
: Now this was a kick arse area! Just as great as Phendrana drift, if not better. Eventhough the rooms were big it felt really crowded due to all the plant life. And the grenchlers kick major arse. At one point I fought against two at once and had to run, however I missed a platform and fell down into a lake. I tought I was safe down in the water, but when I turned around I saw those bast**ds swimming closer to me. Scary as h*ll! And wow first time you reached
Torvus Bog Depth
and heard the
Red Brinstar theme
was a wonderful feeling plus the underwater rooms were great.

The next area is as beautiful as it's original(concerning the metroid games) some very very cool enemies (talk about getting your suit
hacked
!!!). And some really awesome and fun puzzles.

Overall I think I'm finding Echoes to be more fun while I still will favor Prime as the better game, and that's mainly because I think Echoes strays a bit too much from the Metroid staples. However that's just an impression and I'd like to finish the game before making more of such comments.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
I played a bit of this game at a Nintendo Promotional thing they had at Wal-Mart.
It feels alot like the first, but with more kick-*** cutscene type things.

I also got a free T-shirt (the one with the ying-yang Samus simble from the magazine ads).

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I just got it today. I've plugged 3 or so hours into it already, and I'm liking it. Starts completely different from the demo (thankfully). I'm also noticing that they put in a lot of things to help prevent sequence breaking... the translation doors, namely. I'm sure people will still manage to find extra paths, though. Just might take a little longer.

SS4Ricky

Smash Ace
Cool, thanks. lol, didn't even consider there was a spoiler button, i see it now.

My evaluation? I just beat the game today, and i have to say it was well worth it. After going through the artbooks and such, you remember all the big guys you had to plow through to get this far. I completely forgot about the
3 headed worm boss where you had to get sucked in and bomb it from the inside, plus the chykka (sp?) was one of the coolest bosses i've fought in a while. And man does the light suit look a WHOLE lot cooler than the dark sut, i felt like i was driving a busted old car with the dark suit.

Like Metroid Killer said, Prime will always be No.1 in my books. This game is still awesome, but like Arrow said about the keys, each area felt like the same routine, and basically it was. Get the 3 keys, check out some mean-looking monsters (grenchlers, annoying *******s), shoot 'em up when they get
taken by the ing, then defeat the boss, which is just a bigger version of the main themed enemy.

I've been going through the game without a guide (getting lost a TON, but finding alot of useful powerups before the Z help appears) and i have to say that there's a whole lot more freedom once every power up is gotten. there have be alot of times where i get one powerup, but need another to open a door which in fact i can't open untill i get another powerup 3 bosses down. Tossing all these locked doors in my face earily in the game was a bit annoying, cause half that i opened lead to even more locked entrances. At least i knew i was going the wrong way, and by that time the Z help was flashing like mad.

Now that i know where just about everything is i'm sure my second playthrough will be alot more enjoyable. Good game though, multiplayer's fun but you really need at least 3 people to make it enjoyable. I'm happy at least you get a
full body shot of samus without the suit at the end without having to have 100% everything.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
AR is so fricken fun.
infinite ammo
infinite jumps
all temple keys
all multiplayer levels
infinite POWER BOMBS

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
And............................?

C'mon, mic.

Sorry Osco, I tried to stop.....

no. 1 smash daddy

Smash Ace
annoying1359 said:
AR is so fricken fun.
infinite ammo
infinite jumps
all temple keys
all multiplayer levels
infinite POWER BOMBS
I wouldn´t consider that fun, with AR, there´s not too much point on playing it since it´s already too easy...

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
yeah, too easy makes it kinda fun! to me. i guess know im kinda wierd.

Wuss

Smash Champion
I saw on Gamefaq's that there is a "No Space Jump Guide". How in the world do you beat this game without the extra jump?? Has anyone done this? Also, what happens when you get the screw ball?? Does it work?

Wuss

Smash Champion
I thought about that, way too lazy...
I read a little, and there seem to be a whole lot of ways to jump without the spacejump. It is strange...

Skywalker

Space Jump
I've broken sequences in Zero Mission and Super, but I haven't in Echoes.

Echoes is my 2nd favorite Metroid game, too. :(

Top Bottom