• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Spoiler-free!)

Ocarina

Smash Lord
Motion sickness, eh? Feel sorry for you.. I can't wait to get revenge on my friend for beating the crap out of me in multiplayer Goldeneye... but this game may turn out to be THE game of the year, and maybe even beat Super Metroid for best Metroid game in the series!

Nic64

Smash Lord
I guess it is possible, but I doubt this will top super metroid...but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Ice_Climbers2

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can anyone say........Kraid?

Not sure if anyone has seen these pics but they appear to be older shots Retro took while the original Prime was still in development. The fact that they considered putting Kraid in the original Prime makes him a very real possibilty as a boss in Prime 2. Anyone seen these shots before? They're new to me...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Oooooooh. Nice. Well, Kraid was back in Super Metroid, so I guess they mannaged to save him from Brinstar in Metroid 1, so I guess it could make sence. I wonder how big he'd be.....

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
YES I'm back from unstable computer h*ll!!!

As you can see in the Kraid shot he has that weird metal plate in his head. I guess he would be the resurrected Meta-Kraid just like we had Meta-Ridley.

Wouldn't it be cool if Meta Ridley took care of Space Pirate operations on Tallon IV, while Meta Kraid took care of the business on Aether ;)

Nic64

Smash Lord
Ridely needs to die. Having franchise characters is cool and everything but seriously, I think we've killed him enough.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but that picture doesn't look realistic. I mean, it would be great to have Kraid in Prime 2, but I just don't think it's real. Plus, some of the other pictures (goat men?) are just ridiculous.

But Ridley is a cool character. If only there would have been more about chasing Meta-Ridley (that was the reason Samus went down to Tallon IV in the first place) in Prime then just going down there to uncover the mystery of the planet.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by Nic64
Ridely needs to die. Having franchise characters is cool and everything but seriously, I think we've killed him enough.

Just like Bowser, Ganon and many others, you can never kill Ridley enough.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
OMG OMG OMG!!! Man a friend of mine got his hands on the latest Game Informer which has an exclusive article on MP2.

He scanned the pics and sent them to me.... now you'll love me cause I uploaded them to the F-Zero server!! P.S. DON'T DIRECT LINK TO OTHER SITES. The pictures are HUGE and the bandwitch will be eaten up if everybody direct links to other forums and it ends up in IGNs forums.

Here they are, with LOTS of new info. Be aware of minor spoilers.

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9
Page 10

There are so many new things, so I'm just gonna list what I find interesting:

The Space Pirate Commando looks sooo cool!! Woohoo!

The 4th Visor has been revealed. The Dark Visor which will make it possible to see things in the Light World that you wouldn't be possible to see otherwise.

Lots of Ing monsters!!? Inglets, Warrior Ing, Hunter Ing!

Lots of returning gadgets including lots of new ones!

"We plan to have deathmatch levels where all lights go out and you need the Dark Visor to see."

Retro is aiming for 60 frames per second for multiplayer!!!

Nic64

Smash Lord
Thanks for the info MK, every time there's new info on this it just looks better and better...

The Dark world looks awesome...er...the whole ******** game looks awesome but it's good to see they aren't running out of new enviroments to use. The Dark beam "grape jelly" looks interesting too. I didn't think they could improve on the graphics too much but they've managed to make it look a lot better anyway.

The multiplayer looks amazing, I was especially glad to hear that they're keeping it metroid-esque instead of trying to imitate other FPS games. Like the move to first person this could potentially suck but if it works then it will own(like the move to first person did). The use of the morph ball and visors should make this very interesting. The lack of dual analog and usage of lock-on could raise concerns but once again this isn't Goldeneye or Halo, it's Metroid so it will likely work differently and the lock-on shouldn't make it too boring.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Chozo aren't involved this time.....strange. Oh well. I just wish it was out now....Nice find MK.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
They won't include Chozo's? It's one of the most imortant things in the Metroid series.

Ice_Climbers2

BRoomer
BRoomer
Chozo not included I don't find as big a deal. Its not like every mission given to Samus as a bounty hunter has to involve her past protectors in some way.

That's not to say the Chozo should be cut from the Metroid series all together though. They add a lot to Samus' background. She just doesn't have to bump into them everywhere she goes.

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
Originally posted by MEWTWOMASTER2002
They won't include Chozo's? It's one of the most imortant things in the Metroid series.
i always thought the metroids were the most important things in the Metroid series.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Phh. Right. If that was true wouldn't the game be called......oh. Nevermind.;)

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I said it's ONE of the most important things I didn't say it was the most.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Well the Chozo has mainly been a major part of the storyline and until now the provider of power-ups. It hasn't been a very active part of the games yet still quite important.

I'm more worried(well not really worried), about the Space Pirates getting a much smaller role in Prime 2, however the Ing look really awesome and there will be some Space Pirates here and there afterall.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The space Pirates ay have a smaller role, but if you come up against a bunch of Ing Pirates....cool. I hope to see a lot of logs and stuff to scan though.

Bowser87

Smash Lord
It seems to me that the Luminons will replace the Chozos. After all, there can't be Chozos in every planet of the galaxy.
The Ings are obviously the reason why the Space Pirates will have a more minor role, but from what I've seen of the videos, the Space Pirates will still have a big presence. I sure hope we can scan their datas again. Reading the Luminon scripts shouldn't be so bad either.

firaga01

Smash Lord
IGN recently released an article detailing the development process of Metroid Prime 2. Here's a complete excerpt:

Originally posted by IGNCube:
June 14, 2004 - Game Informer Magazine recently featured an updated look at Retro Studios' first-person adventure Metroid Prime: Echoes. The print publication unearthed some new details about the anticipated game, as well as some interesting information on the development cycle behind it.

IGNcube has compiled the new tidbits below:

*Retro is still considering dual-analog support for the game

*Even before artists were called in, Retro first designed and built all of Metroid Prime 2's gameplay mechanics and levels so that everything worked and was fun

*Projectiles from Aran's Dark Beam can slide across the ground and home in on enemies

*The worm-like boss in the Prime 2 E3 2004 trailer is called Amorbis. The beast is constructed of three giant worms whose mouths can shoot dark projectiles

*New Space Pirate Commandos carry a Variable Pulse Cannon, an E-Grenade Launcher and an Energy Scythe, and can cycle between them. They also repel energy-based projectiles with a Barrier Shield and can speed across the land at high speeds using Boost Thrusters. This type of enemy can also use a Shadow Cloak to turn invisible; Samus will need to use the Dark Visor to spot them

*Space pirates play a "very, very small part in the game."

*New enemy Grenchlers follow Samus into the water

*Galactic Federation Troopers appear in the game

*There are at least four Beams in the game and possibly more

*The Echo Visor enables Samus to see sound; an enemy called a Shrieker attacks Aran with sound beams that can only be viewed with the visor

*There are Inglet, Warrior Ing and Hunter Ing in the game

*The Spider Ball will be able to roll over complex surfaces; Samus can, for instance, roll over spheres and jump from one sphere to the next
IGNcube will have more on the game as information becomes available.
They haven't ruled out dual analog yet?! {goes in an ecstacy-induced seizure}

Stopsign

Smash Ace
Originally posted by firaga01

They haven't ruled out dual analog yet?! {goes in an ecstacy-induced seizure}
I don't really care if they stay with their origanal system for firing or if they go on to doing the daul anolog sticks. As long as they make it work with the game.

firaga01

Smash Lord
There were two main quibs I had with the original Metroid Prime:

1. It was too short.

2. It only used one analog stick.

I mean, come on, movement in the original MP was a little clunky. I thought the way Retro implemented movement of the Z axis was mediocre, at best. You even had to stand still while looking around! sure, it worked alright, but I want a control scheme akin to TimeSplitters 2. Sure, that doesnt leave much room for the visor changing buttons, but I'm sure if Retro really wanted to find a way to incorporate it into the game, they would.

The Windwaker

Smash Journeyman

I mean, come on, movement in the original MP was a little clunky.
Oh, it was meant to be clunky the way Samus moved. I mean, you can't have controlling her with two analog sticks anyways... her suit doesn't have a neck... and her suit is humongous, so it feels clunky.

The Windwaker

Smash Journeyman

I mean, come on, movement in the original MP was a little clunky.
Oh, it was meant to be clunky the way Samus moved. I mean, you can't have controlling her with two analog sticks anyways... her suit doesn't have a neck... and her suit is humongous, so it feels clunky.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
I found the controls to be very great in Metroid Prime, but there has been a lot of requests for Dual control, so I guess it would be smart of Retro to include that option.

And since we are talking about stuff which throws Metroid in the direction of a FPS you might as well want to see some multiplayer movies. ;)

It's weird there have been very few movies showing off the multiplayer mode from the E3 build.

Check these two lengthy movies out

To me it looks a bit too much like a typical FPS deathmatch, I'm sure the Metroid gameplay will make it different though (morphball etc.), however there are some stuff that are working against the multiplayer.

Lock-on and the controls. I don't mind the multiplayer being in Prime 2 as long as it will be fun to play. But it's like it wants to be a FPS multiplayer but at the same time they wont adjust some of the things that might makes it less fun.

However we've only seen the deathmatch version of multiplayer so I hope the other modes will be much more like FPA.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
There's invisibility in multiplayer? That's cool. I wanna try that. It doesn't look too bad though and it looks like you can pick up powerups anywhere. Where are the grapple points?

firaga01

Smash Lord
And, of course, as expected, Metroid multiplayer is turning out to be nothing more than a gimmick that was probably implemented as a last-minute decision to appease the milions of Metroid fans who wanted multiplayer in the game.

Also, you can tell that they are using a single analog-stick movment configuration, so even though Retro hasn't ruled out a dual control scheme, they probably wont implement it.

Don't take my criticism as a sign of my reluctance to play Prime 2. Far from it. The game is going to kick uber ***, the multiplayer is going to kick ***, the storyline (which is supposed to be much improved) is going to kick ***. I know the multiplayer is going to be better than Deathmatch and retro is just hiding the other features from us until the release date comes closer. This is the same company that had to endure endless speculation and doubt from hardcore fans making sure MP didnt suck balls, and had to do it all while Miyamoto breathed down their necks for the entire time. MP2 will be great, but I can't help but hate the fact that I'll be playing the same game all over again...

Bowser87

Smash Lord
And, of course, as expected, Metroid multiplayer is turning out to be nothing more than a gimmick that was probably implemented as a last-minute decision to appease the milions of Metroid fans who wanted multiplayer in the game.

From what I've seen, most Metroid fans weren't too keen with a multiplayer. It was mostly the FPS fans who wanted that. Many Metroid fans feared it would turn out just like you said, including me.

As for those multiplayer videos: The first one was ruined by the Pokemon show music playing in the background.
The second one had the Starfox theme playiing at the end, so it was better.
Seriously, there are things I liked. That morph ball cannon is neat and I like the fact that there are places you can only reach through morph ball. Also, one of the stages is a space station and I think I'll be staring at that space background for hours when I get the game.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Originally posted by Bowser87
Also, one of the stages is a space station and I think I'll be staring at that space background for hours when I get the game.
Heh my exact though. I might end up "exploring" in the multiplayer after all ;)

I can't wait to see some footage of the swamp area. Imo there was too little "forrest" area in MP (only the Tallon overworld), so perhaps we will get a real Brinstar this time ;)

Btw remember that Kraid model from the previous posts. Here's a comment from the guy who worked on Kraid:

"I had completely finished modeling and skinning Kraid. The level that he was to be included in was well underway to being designed. There just was not enough developement time remaining to fully implement all aspects of the scenario that were needed to pull off a highly polished\ fun gaming experience... animations\ effects\ programming\ etc. It was decided that Kraid was not imperative enough to the Metroid Prime project to run the risk of pushing up the release date in order to fit him in.

I'm sure the folks over at Retro are designing ways to fit Kraid in possible future Metroid titles."
-Gene Kohler
May 11, 2004 (Mythicahq.com)

Man do you realize how great the chances of a Kraid in MP2 are right now!!

*crosses fingers*

Nic64

Smash Lord

What? The Multi has many aspects not used by other FPS's, it's very unique. Maybe unwise, multiplayer may be bad for Metroid...but certainly not just a gimmick.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Multiplayer isn't going to be completely unique, but it's not going to be a complete copy of normal FPS either. The fact that you can lock-on, but then break lock-ons by morphing will make things very interesting, I think. I see frantic battles with players frequently morphing and jetting away to avoid getting attacked, while the other player will try to give chase, all the while searching for upgrades like the death ball. The hacking visor will also make things interesting, since it can disable abilities like missiles or morphing. With some clever level design, I think multiplayer could be very fun. I still don't think it was a neccessary add-on for the Metroid series, but I'm being optomistic.

Nic64

Smash Lord
They need to increase movement speed I think, well...at least throw in an upgrade. I was playing Metroid Prime today and whenever you have to go long distance it can be kind of a pain walking across large area's that you could've gotten through much quicker in Super Metroid.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
A perfect excuse to add the Speed Booster ;)

And just like the altered the Space Jump into a double jump, they could just make the speed boost work so that run 1.5 times faster (and if you ran for a couple of meters(while holding down some botton) then you would gain 5 times the speed and you would be able to break through stuff and run even further).

Sounds good?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hmm. That would be cool. You see an enemy Samus far off. You start blasting. The enemy starts running towards you and speeds up, with you blasting. Then, when you realsie it's too late to run or dodge, the enemy Samus slams into you, sending you flying into a pit of Phazon (It could be in the game) MUhahahaha.....

Bowser87

Smash Lord
How would it look like while you're doing it, though? Somehow I can't really picture it in Prime. Samus walks so slowly compared to Super Metroid, it doesn't look possible that she'd run so fast. How would you control it, exactly?

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Well I think it would work best that once you hold down the botton to charge up the Speed Boost then you would run in a fixed line(on-rail). This would probably make it really hard to harm anybody in multiplayer but then again I haven't played it yet ;)

And if this is just an idea of a fan then I'm sure Retro would be able to do it in way that's 10 times better ;)

Nic64

Smash Lord
Somehow I can't really picture it in Prime. Samus walks so slowly compared to Super Metroid, it doesn't look possible that she'd run so fast.

That's really why I brought it up, I was mostly impressed with Metroid Prime but I can't help but miss the days when you could fly across a room doing a cannonball <_<

Top Bottom