• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Spoiler-free!)

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Perhaps the Luminons are like the Chozo in that they are highly educated. I would like it if the Luminons could go back and forth through the two worlds like Samus can.

As for areas, they really do have to put in a Chozo ruins-like place. It won't seem as Primish without one. If they have an ice zone and fire zone, they should make them bigger. I really thought the there wasn't much to do in the fire zone (what is it again?) after you found the first item in there.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
[creepy voice]Mag-moooooor...[/voice]

Yeah I think they will be much more intelligent than the Ings (which just seem instinct based) and they'll probably have some kind of awesome secret weapon only to be used in emergency situations (Hyper Beam!! :p)

Actually I haven't watched that many videos yet (only the 17 vids at IGN :p) but I found some vids here and are downloading right now.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
The more videos I see and the more I read about this game, the more I want it. It's number 1 on my most-wanted list (Zelda's #2).

Everything just looks incredible, and gives me memories of the first game. That was amazing, and if this one is better, then I'll be in euphoria.

This fall and holiday season is going to break me...

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Originally posted by Giygas
Everything just looks incredible, and gives me memories of the first game. That was amazing, and if this one is better, then I'll be in euphoria.
Indeed. I watched a RE4 movie and I could hear the MP theme music in the background so I shut down the movie and started downloading more MP2 movies :)

http://www.gamebaboons.com

They have an awesome movie where the player faces off with Dark Samus. By the way, Dark Samus is mad it's super fast and just shoots rapidly at Samus, sometimes it fires devasting shots that completely crushes one of the many huge pillar/tubes in the room whichs leaves flames and ruins. I can't wait to fight Dark Samus it looks so cool and so fun.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Originally posted by Metroid Killer
Actually, I think this is a Chozo. I was just playing the first Metroid Prime 5 minutes ago, and had to save it and post. I'm at the point in the game right now where you meet the Chozo Ghosts for the first time. They're tall, skinny, small head, and to things coming out of their shoulders. On the ghosts the things were sticking up and out, but you can see that whatever is in the picture, it has them too.[/speculation]

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer

Not quite. Way different looking than the Chozo ghost, imo. And besides... in life, the Chozos look more like birds than their ghost form. I don't think it's a Luminon either. It could be, but it looks way too sinister to be a "good" species. I'm thinking it might be some new type of space pirate.

There's 4 new gameplay videos on IGN, including the first (but very brief) footage of the echo visor in action!

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
God dammit I need to beat Prime...

MK, I hate you so much for getting me so interested in this game.

I don't know about you guys but I'm digging all the facts that we have about this one waaaaay more than I did with Prime. Dark Samus seems awesome, the story that we've come up with sounds awesome and I'm sure if we came up with that Nintendo and Retro got something very hot cooking.

Even though I know it's not a shooter I still wish Retro could come up with another control scheme for the players who don't like the default one. That way the people who like it can keep it and the people who don't like it can just change to other controls.

The thing that bugged me that most in Prime was having to hold R to look up and down. Actually... That was the only thing in the controls that bugged me.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Heh, speaking of Metroid Prime, all this MP2 news got me so anxious, that I started a new game on MP for the heck of it. I'm going to try to get 100% in under 4 hours, but I'm not using any sequence breaking tricks, so I might end up being slightly over. I must say that even though the game has been out for a year and a half, I was still impressed by the graphics when I started it up. They're just so amazing.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Originally posted by Arrow
Heh, speaking of Metroid Prime, all this MP2 news got me so anxious, that I started a new game on MP for the heck of it.
Me too. When I saw the Chozo Ghost, I stopped to post about it. Then again, it's the only Metroid game I've ever beaten, so who am I to speculate? :p

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
You'll defintely want to go to the first page to see a buck load of new info.

I've dedicated an entire post to the different characters and races in the game and it has a lot of new info not mentioned in this topic... as well as... Metroids!!

Go now!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Metroids? Who would have thought they'd be in this game?;) I like the fact that the Luminous guys give Samus weapons, instead of Samus finding this upgrade conveniently placed that coincidently works wwith her current system. Not that that would be a bad thing.:p

Originally by MK
I think it's safe to assume that the bottom left hand guy has that hacker-visor.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Well if you can tell that was a screen from the E3 trailer. And in the trailer there is no hacker virus. It even looks more like she is changing to morphball mode. Notice that the arm cannon is away? Also the weapons would all disappear except for charged beam and power beam or people automatically go to morph ball mode. Other than that no one has their scan visor on. That's why I doubt that it's the hacker virus.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
MK, I went ahead and edited the first post to say that there is no LAN. IGN is my source, and IGN's source was the Nintendo guy that they interviewed... I can't remember his name. :|

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
maybe that mysterious black creature on the first page is a space pirate that was affectedd by dark matter. Remember in the e3 trailer, we see this dark matter take over a space pirate. maybe that's what that is.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962

I think Samus can wear the phazon suit again as you can see in the picture her hand is black with a blue circle. I also think that's how you can go out of the Barrier in the dark world without being hurt. Well it's just a guess but I still think you can wear the phazon suit but I'm not sure about it being able to go to the dark air.

Does anyone know if this is the second scan visor? I'm not sure but when I watched the trailer those circles weren't red when Samus had her regular visors on.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Originally posted by MEWTWOMASTER2002
I think Samus can wear the phazon suit again as you can see in the picture her hand is black with a blue circle. I also think that's how you can go out of the Barrier in the dark world without being hurt. Well it's just a guess but I still think you can wear the phazon suit but I'm not sure about it being able to go to the dark air.
I doubt they'd re-use the Phazon suit. More likely it's a dark-capable suit you find, that looks like the phazon because it's dark in color.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
I think the same as McFox... Metroid Prime already snatched the Phazon Suit and we already know about a Dark Suit, so you go figure it out...

But then on the other hand... the Dark Suit is made by the Luminons... which crafting materials do you think they would've used if you had to guess?? Dark Matter? or could it be that Phazon somehow connects with the Dark Matter? Phazon can only be found in the Dark world after all?? Hmm actually I don't bother to think more about that...:p

New demo impressions at IGN plus they've uploaded some new movies.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Erm yeah a double post, but I have so much to say soo...

Just a quick comment about the music. I liked the music in MP, I liked it a lot, but it didn't touch the soundtrack of Super Metroid which was godly. If you go see the video at IGN with the Echo visor or watch the new video called Morphball fun you'll notice a remix of the MP theme. It sounds really really great imo. It's much more of a typical Metroid tune instead of the techno songs from MP... however iI've only heard 30 secs of it, but it defintely sounds nice :)

Now a great news for European Metroid fans(me!!!). We wont have to wait another 6 months to get MP2 in Europe like we had to do with MP. In a recent interview Satoru Iwata said:
"Well, yes, in this opportunity I really want to apologise to the fans of Nintendo products in Europe. It is true that we are often late in introducing you to the new products compared with Japan and the United States. Having said that however, not all games are late in their European arrival. For example, we are now showing the Metroid Prime 2: Echoes game for Nintendo GameCube, and we are now putting or energies so that the European version of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes will be launched in Europe by the end of this year, at the sacrifice of the Japanese launch by the end of this year, so please understand that it's not always the case that Nintendo is late in introducing software in European territories"

If you look at the intro movie for the E32k4 demo you'll notice that Samus ship has changed a lot from the MP design and looks more like the Metroid II and Super Metroid design.

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Super Metroid

My guess is that the ship in Zero Mission and Metroid Prime is supposed to be the same, then Samus has gotten her hands on some new ship after Metroid Prime which now has become the trademark ship of Samus...

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
My guess is that the ship in Zero Mission and Metroid Prime is supposed to be the same, then Samus has gotten her hands on some new ship after Metroid Prime which now has become the trademark ship of Samus...
I don't think the one in Zero Mission and Prime are the same. For one thing the one in Zero Mission was destroyed by space pirates in the middle of the game so Samus had to get her suit back and escape in one of the space pirate ships. So maybe the one in Prime is just a rental or it's the same but the ship was changed so it's harder to find and more suitable.

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
"we are now putting or energies"

What's this supposed to mean?

Hooray for us Europeans! I too, remember the days when we waited for 6 months with SSBM after the USA release, and then pretty much every European saw the secret characters on the net allready... It was the same with MP, but that was actually 5 months, not 6.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
So uh, it's a Galactic Federation Trooper when in the URL it has the acronym for Space Federation Trooper...

Riiiiight.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
MK: You know for sure that the creature in that screenshot is a Luminon now? Where did you find that out from?

Oh yeah, and I think the Fed troopers look awesome.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I hope that if the Euro guys get it, the aussies will get it soon too. If we don't....grr. I don't care if we DID get MK: DD early, I WANT METROID!
Hmm. Could this mean that the US will be importing PAL games? *S******s*

Nic64

Smash Lord
Oh god I'm going to cream my pants...

I knew that Metroid Prime 2 would own, Metroid Prime was ******** impressive given that it was Retro's first game. This is going to ******** own.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
If there were an eight letter word that was censored that I could think of I might be able to understand part of what you are saying. But be it as I can't, I'm just left in the dust.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Hmm if they added the Screw attack, wall jump, and Spring ball I wonder which buttons are used for those if the buttons are the same for the first Metroid Prime. Is there anyone here that knows and can explain it to me.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
It has already been confirmed that the spring ball won't be in the game, and personally I'm glad. It always seemed like a pointless upgrade, since you can do the same thing with bomb jumps (if you're skilled enough). As far as the screw attack/wall jump, I'm actually not sure how they have it set up currently. I would assume you just have to press a button while in mid jump that normally wouldn't do anything while jumping, such as the morph ball button.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by Arrow
I would assume you just have to press a button while in mid jump that normally wouldn't do anything while jumping, such as the morph ball button.
Well, if you press the morph ball button while jumping in Metroid Prime, you turn into a morphball in midair.

So, yeah. They'll probably figure something out. It will be seamless. They won't screw it up.

At least I hope not...

Nic64

Smash Lord
If there were an eight letter word that was censored that I could think of I might be able to understand part of what you are saying. But be it as I can't, I'm just left in the dust.
er...I thought I had used 7 asterisks...

I'll agree, the spring ball never really mattered. The Screw Attack was always a favorate of mine but I'm skeptical that it'd work well with the new format.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, if you press the morph ball button while jumping in Metroid Prime, you turn into a morphball in midair.
Ah, I forgot about that. I knew you could morph back to normal while in midair as the ball, but not vice versa. But still, I can think of very few if any situations that required you to morph in mid-jump, so I don't think switching that to screw attack would be a problem. They could also have it be a "third" jump of sorts... i.e. you jump once, do your space jump, and then when you press the jump button a third time, it will switch out to the third person view for screw attack.

You know, we're probably all speculating for nothing. I'm sure one of the previews out there mentioned which button does it, but I'm too lazy to check ;)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Maybe it's just something simple, like pressing jump again, after the Spacejump.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer

Dapenda

Smash Champion
The first Metroid Prime was great, cept the game lacked "real" replay value after u beat it. Pictures as rewards just wasnt enough motivation to warrant searching my butt off to scan for every single scan in the game, although hunting for missiles and messing around w/ the original game were fun for awhile. It's great that this one will have a multi player mode, I just hope i wont get so much motion sickness like i did for the first oner. Back then it was play 1/2 hr, lie there in agony for 1/2 hr, and repeat.

Top Bottom