• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Spoiler-free!)

EvilEvincar

Smash Journeyman
Adam was the cpu of the GF ship, not Samus'. So it may be possible, but I think it is unlikely. Especially since it looks like he/she/it is firing at Samus, unless some there's some nats next to Samus.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by MEWTWOMASTER2002
DUDE, that can't be Adam. Adam was Samus's computer before the ship was destroyed. He "died" because the ship crashed and saved Samus by doing an auto eject to save her. It has a better chance of being a GF soldier.
Wrong. Adam was Samus's CO back in her early days of joining the Federation. Exactly what he did to sacrafice his life to save Samus's is unclear.

I doubt that's Adam in the picture, but it would be an interesting plot development if he was worked into the story somehow. Another theory about the armored dude's identity is that it could be the "other Samus"... specifically the armored guy you see laying dead on the ground before you go fight Kraid in Super Metroid... the one many fans say is Houston. But personally, I'm still leaning towards the GF soldier theory.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
I think I remember Retro saying this game would be in no way connected to the story in Fusion, in order to dispell those annoying "Metroid Prtime is a X!!!!!!1!" theorys.
So it couldn't be Adam.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I think the pic is from a small cutscene where either Metroid Prime or an Ing attacks a GF ship and then the GF troops try to defend their ship. Why else would it be burning and why would a person shoot Samus...unless it's a space pirate but they are creatures. Actually it MIGHT be because I am trying to fit in the fire and the ship.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by Crouching Shiek, Hidden Dragon
I agree as well, Retro changed Samus's visor, why can't they change the bloody color of an enemy?
Cause it's not consistent... anyways, CSHD, even a dark cave that thing is still ****ing dark *** black lighting up something that is black is still black...

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Originally posted by Misto-Roboto
Cause it's not consistent... anyways, CSHD, even a dark cave that thing is still ****ing dark *** black lighting up something that is black is still black...
And Paper Mario is consistent with Super Mario RPG how?

How is Zelda: Wind Waker consistent with Zelda: Majora's Mask?

All we're saying is that it could be Metroid Prime, and the problem with that is certainly not what color the suit is, but rather what the storyline is. You don't think Retro can make a color change between when it finished MP1 and before it started MP2? And who's to say Metroid Prime (the enemy) can't change colors? It changed the type of light it projected (heat, infrared, etc.), it can't change colors? Puh-leeze.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by McFox
And Paper Mario is consistent with Super Mario RPG how?

How is Zelda: Wind Waker consistent with Zelda: Majora's Mask?

All we're saying is that it could be Metroid Prime, and the problem with that is certainly not what color the suit is, but rather what the storyline is. You don't think Retro can make a color change between when it finished MP1 and before it started MP2? And who's to say Metroid Prime (the enemy) can't change colors? It changed the type of light it projected (heat, infrared, etc.), it can't change colors? Puh-leeze.
I could very well believe the inconsistencies in Paper Mario/Mario RPG and Zelda. Excuses are plausible which means game designers can get away with a lot more. For instance, Zelda games are always based off of legends. Legends as you well know are usually really vague so you could pretty much get away with saying some hero in green. As far as Mario is concerned, Mario's games are drug happy and whacky to ever hold any real consistencies in plot.

Metroid however does not fall in the same category as them. Metroid has never had this bouncy quality Zelda and Mario have. We all see Metroid Prime return with a black shiny hand(with an eye for some reason) which most likely means it's going to stay rather close to it's color set, not inverse the entire process.

On another note, I've been doing some pondering on this "Echoes" title in relevance to something someone had said earlier dealing with multiplayer, multi-world/dimension and the whole gate looking thing. Multiplayer might be plausible if say that "Echo" in the title referred to an echo of Samus(not a clone) but a faint image of Samus throughout alternate realities? I know it is bit far stretched but it gives some possible leeway to multiplayer not screwing up the Metroid "experience". It also explains that questionable character in the bright colored suit. Could it be an "echo" of Samus?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Grey isn't inverting the color of black, white would be the inversion. Grey is just a lighter form of black which would make sense because we saw the hand in the dark cave.

And Mario and Zelda haven't always had those attributes, it always just happens in one game, so who's to say that it won't be happening in Metroid Prime 2?

The pondering has been going on about the Echoes subtitle and all the ideas you mentioned have already been mentioned by other posters. I believe it's the last one that you restated because if the creature does end up being Prime in it's new form then we suddenly have an echo of Samus. Bloody brilliant.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Actually I read a theory about the Echoes also like yesterday. This person had posted that there's a picture with some sort of symbol (I guess like this [*], but the star's a dot) on one of the pictures on the visor choices. He says that that symbol indicates sound, which would mean a sonar visor and possibly a sonar beam. It sounds sort of good, but what exactly would be the point of a sonar visor when you'd have the beam?

Anyway, here's the link: http://boards.ign.com/Metroid/b5217/57386360/?32

Of course, maybe Echoes has to do with the echoes of an ancient society AKA the Chozos. And maybe one of the worlds actually is the homeworld (I thought one of the Chozo lores in Prime said that they travelled to the various planets, meaning they'd have to have a starting point) of the Chozos where an amazing civilization's works have been plundered and lay in ruins. Maybe the Ing conquered the Chozo Homeworld and therefore caused the Chozos in the colonies to disappear?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Originally posted by Raccoon87
It sounds sort of good, but what exactly would be the point of a sonar visor when you'd have the beam?
Maybe I can interpret this for you.

Sonar visor could be like actual sonar, or echolocation, where sound is bounced off of objects and then reflected back to its original source. This would be the ideal kind of visor to use in dark environments, assuming that the other visors don't work. Additionally, sonar can detect the difference between different kinds of materials, like between metal, rock, wood, glass, etc. So if there was a door disguised as a rock face, a sonar ping would easily be able to detect where it is.

As for the sonic attack, it would work the same as other types. Just sounds themselves have the ability to destroy even the strongest substances if concentrated into a tight beam aimed at the object. So if you were to, say, charge up a sonic blast and then fire it at even the most indestructable material in the game, it would crumble. Additionally, it could be used to disorient enemies. By aiming a sonic blast at their head, you screw with their senses, flooding their head with sensory input and briefly shutting them down. Charged, a sonic blast would easily kill any living organism.

Assuming the information you got is true, the above is one way it could work.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmmm... I don't know how likely a sonar beam would be, as cool as it sounds. But a sonar visor! Now that would be sweet! I can only imagine what the display would look like. The only real problem with both ideas (visor and weapon) is that there's still only 4 spots for visors, and 4 for beams, so one of the existing ones would have to be removed. We can assume that the regular and scan visor are still in the game, so either x-ray or thermal would have to be removed. As for the beams, power beam and ice beam will be back without a doubt, and the wave and plasma beams are pretty important parts of the Metroid series, so I can't really see either of them being removed. Unless maybe Retro adds an upgrade equiping screen (sort of like in Super Metroid) that allows you to select the 4 beams (or visors) from all the ones you've found, and set them to the directional buttons... so sort of like Super Metroid crossed with the more recent Zelda games (WW, OoT). That would be kind of cool (and would likely mean even more upgrades to find).

EDIT: I just read the guys post on ign.com, and thought I'd share this little quote:

"A recent quote from a worker at Retro Studios, said that there would be at least one new visor. That supports my theory, as does the information about the game. It says that there will be a light and dark world in the game, so perhaps you've guessed it, but if you can't see anything in parts of the Dark World...how can you see? WITH SOUND!"

Though he didn't source the quote from the Retro Studios worker, if that's true, then I'd say that Sonar is definitely the new visor.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Yeah I've read a lot about those Sonar theories as well. It also goes extremely well together with the title. Sonar Visor would also be able to find hidden rooms and stuff, I could imagine it would resemble the Xray Visor the most, therefore if there still only are 4 Visor then I expect that Xray Visor gets the boot.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Wow that's a good theory. If there was a sonar beam and that means it can kill anything with one hit then it means that it will suck because it means that bosses will die in one hit and it will ruin the game. Therefor ethe sonar beam won't fit. As for the sonar visor...what will the objects look like? I belive it will appear but I can't imagine what it will look like to use it.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh please. The bosses in MP were often hit by fully charged plasma blasts and they didn't die instantly. They will make it work out even.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
I guess I somewhat see what could happen with the sonar visor and beam (as McFox spelled out), but isn't it in real sonar where they release a beam which bounces back from surfaces? I would think that maybe both would have to be used in conjuction, for how else would sound make a picture on a the normal visor?

As for the potency of the beam, I wouldn't expect it to allow one hit kills. The plasma beam was extremely powerful in comparison to the others, but it still didn't kill much with one shot.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I guess I somewhat see what could happen with the sonar visor and beam (as McFox spelled out), but isn't it in real sonar where they release a beam which bounces back from surfaces?
Yes. Not really a beam, it spreads out in all directions.

I would think that maybe both would have to be used in conjuction, for how else would sound make a picture on a the normal visor?
Not necessarily. Since the wave of sound shoots out in all directions and bounces back, the picture would look pretty simplistic (talking about real life here), something like an Etch-A-Sketch drawing, where really only lines can be visually seen.

As for the potency of the beam, I wouldn't expect it to allow one hit kills. The plasma beam was extremely powerful in comparison to the others, but it still didn't kill much with one shot.
I was talking about real sonic attacks. Obviously, if added to the game (although it looks unlikely thanks to what Arrow and MK said, I was just kind of taking off from what you said), it would be adjusted accordingly.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Grey isn't inverting the color of black, white would be the inversion. Grey is just a lighter form of black which would make sense because we saw the hand in the dark cave.

And Mario and Zelda haven't always had those attributes, it always just happens in one game, so who's to say that it won't be happening in Metroid Prime 2?

The pondering has been going on about the Echoes subtitle and all the ideas you mentioned have already been mentioned by other posters. I believe it's the last one that you restated because if the creature does end up being Prime in it's new form then we suddenly have an echo of Samus. Bloody brilliant.
I just got a glimpse of the same picture in the magazine and it looks darker, but it still too bright, it's got shiny bright too it. The cave in there still gave off a bright glow so don't give me that "it's in a dark cave" bit.

On another note, Mario and Zelda have always had such attributes. They are always constantly changing their appearance by a larger scale than Samus.

I also think you missed what I was saying about the echoes theory. I brought up the thought of that guy being an echo of Samus but left it at that. I was focusing on the multi-Samus screen in reference to the "Echo" title.

I must be brilliant CSHD for joining on what everyone else is speculating about. What the **** was I thinking? :rolleyes: Who knows we might all start debating stupid points in pictures only for us to ALL be wrong.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
for how else would sound make a picture on a the normal visor?
Go see Daredevil you sonar newbie :p

NEW Details on the game!!!

"
April 30, 2004 - Moments ago Nintendo officially revealed some more details about the highly anticipated sequel Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. The basic concept behind the story has Samus returning to another mysterious planet to exterminate evil. As long as she finds it. Only this time Samus will find her new battlegrounds torn in half, a world of light and darkness. As Samus, players will have to travel between the light and dark parts of this world, and the gameplay dynamics will of course be affected by this. We'll be able to explain exactly how it all works as E3 gets closer.

Also, the design demonstrates a similarity to the Game Boy Advance's Metroid Fusion in that our heroine Samus will be hunted by an evil enemy; we imagine that this new create will be the designated assassin or terminator to Samus. Looks like exploring the new light and dark lands of this world might have players jumping out of their space boots.

Lastly, a few more details regarding the multiplayer battle have been divulged. The mode supports up to four players, deathmatch style. Essentially it's just as you'd imagine, where the multiplayer dynamics revolve around searching for weapon upgrades and chasing your enemy down. With the lock-on mechanics likely coming in to play, the Morph Ball will come in to play to help players escape when they aren't ready for a face-to-face shootout. Levels will also demonstrate some complexity with shortcuts, and players will be able to escape or attack by taking advantage of strategically placed grapple points on the ceilings.

That's all the latest we have for now, but check back shortly before E3 and we'll have even more. "

- IGNcube

I dunno... deathmatch style? ... well it wont be typical deathmatch because of the Metroid gameplay, but still...:( But man I'm looking really forward to see another player swing over a pit while shooting at another player!! :p Also the single player sounds interesting, though I don't hope it turns out completely like Metroid Fusion (although Fusion was a great game).

Well I still can't wait for E3 to have more info revealed.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
You sure must be.

Wow, neat new details. I'm not liking how the creature is chasing down Samus, though... Way too much like Fusion.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Those details seemed nice, but I think a few of us were already thinking about Samus being chased and the light and dark world (at least I was). However, that tidbit about the grapple hook really got my attention. Shooting and grappling? I don't think that could be done in Prime, so this is new. I wonder what other gameplay tweaks there could be.

As for Deathmatch, I hope that Retro's just pulling our legs here. Hopefully, they've got something new, bigger, and better hiding for right now.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Shooting and grappling? I don't think that could be done in Prime, so this is new. I wonder what other gameplay tweaks there could be.
It was in Prime, remember? They put the grappling on her left hand so you could still shoot while doing it.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Yeah, as McFox said, shooting while grappling was in Prime. I liked just swing around shooting at nothing, good times, good times.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Yeah, as McFox said, shooting while grappling was in Prime. I liked just swing around shooting at nothing, good times, good times.
Something that was far too less of in Metroid Prime, I hope to see some more grappling beam action... which the article kinda said.

Phillip Chanter

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sonar vision sounds pretty neat if you ask me.

I think that sound in Prime 2 will be pretty benificial, if you think about it, sounds in Prime 1 were very helpful in figuring out what was coming or what was behind you. I'm guessing that in certain rooms there will be a strange non-enemy sound that only the sonar visor would pick up, what you would find is a mystery to us all but you know what I'm getting at right?

Speaking of the light and dark world, this reminds me of two different games that had that same idea. Link to the Past as dukie made refferance to, and Castlevainia: Harmony of Dissonance did the same thing. Link to the past had key points and an item to move Link to both worlds, but castlevainia only had certain rooms that did that. I'm guessing that Prime 2 will use this light and dark world style gameplay like Castlevainia did (which was a tad confusing to most).

Oh, and what would be nice for the grapple beam is if there was a boss that had a weakness to it (you could pull off bits of the boss with it and shoot the exposed weakspot or something along those lines), that to me would be a great thing for that device.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Re: Sonar vision sounds pretty neat if you ask me.

Originally posted by Phillip Chanter
Oh, and what would be nice for the grapple beam is if there was a boss that had a weakness to it (you could pull off bits of the boss with it and shoot the exposed weakspot or something along those lines), that to me would be a great thing for that device.
Gee, that sounds an awful like ARRGHUS from Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

I'm disappointed Phil, I thought you were more creative than that....

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Maybe you could use the grapplebeam to pull yourself above said boss and shoot down on a weak-point on the top of his head?
How long left until E3? 5 days or something? W00t.

guitarhero

Smash Cadet
I'm hoping multiplayer isn't a tradiotional style of play. The original Metriod Prime was so innovative, and I hope multiplayer will be innovative, too. I hope its not standard deathmatch or capture the flag. The lock-on setup, which worked well in the single player game, might make kills far too easy in multiplayer, which is what is making me hope this multiplayer mode will be innovative (in the same vein as Splinter Cell: Pandora Tommorow.)

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I don't know about the rest of you but that is one WICKITY SWEET LOGO! I especially like the font used for "Echoes."

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
The controls are the exact same without the boost ball. I wish I could go to E3 to try it.

Bowser87

Smash Lord
*Ejaculates*

Well, what can I say? This will be the best game in the universe? No, that's too obvious. I can't wait? Too obvious as well.
Anyway, I'm glad to see the Space Pirates back, unless they're those "Ing" things, but they look like Space Pirates to me. I didn't really like that limited ammo thing either, but I guess they were forced by Nintendo not to make the game too much perfect, so Nintendo wouldn't look bad in comparison, so they did that.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
I don't like the sound of limited ammo either...

But it sounds rather cool... those impressions certainly doesn't make the game sound as great as it looked in that video (omg that was just friggin sweet)

But Screw Ball is back!? YAY!

A true sequel to Metroid... so it's gonna be before Metroid Prime? Confused...

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
MK, you would know the Screw Ball was back if you had linked to the GOOD video. You linked to a short one. The actual E3 trailer, which kicks major, major, major *** compared to that other one shows a lot more.

My favorite little bit of it is when Samus and Dark Samus aka Metroid Prime (you can especially tell because Dark Samus's shoulders are phazony and Dark Samus absorbs phazon) have this nice little stare down before they fight.

There's the better trailer.

Edit: Oh and no MK, it is not before Prime. Why would it be called Metroid Prime 2 if it was before Prime?

And that dude with the gun in that one screen we were speculating about so much earlier seems to just be something like a GF Solider because there's a ship with a ton of them on it and they're under attack by these spider things.

Top Bottom