• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Spoiler-free!)

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Regardless of the multiplayer option, if it does exist, then it could be quite cool to shoot at other Samus'. I mean, a Samus wearing the Gravity Suit could be shooting at a Samus wearing the Power Suit, who's trying to Power Bomb another Samus wearing the Fusion Suit..

Perhaps the powerups could be suits? And only one player could have a suit at a time? So if you grab a superior suit, then you discard your old one and take up the better sheilding of the new.. having the Phazon suit as an optional unlockable could be cool. Maybe there could be only one copy of each suit per level, and to obtain the best, you gotta take the player with the suit you want down. You remeber in GoldenEye, how you'd snag the best weapon asap and constantly have ammo runs etc? (Well I did) You could pick up missile expansions and powerbomb pickups for use in combat. The would be awesome, just sit there and fire off a volley of super missile and the space jump to another platform, double back, check your flanks! THESE ARE HUMAN ENEMIES!! WOOHOO!

When its been said that wouldn't be fair to put Ridley as playable, I mean, it can be balanced. I mean duh, look at smash: Bowser's a slow piece of crud, but do you regret getting hit by the odd Forward Smash etc? YEP! Ridley could be like the slowest turd ever, but layeth the smacketh down on any hapless wanderers in range...

Well that's my 3 1/2 cents.

DukieMan1223

Smash Lord
Expanding from SabreAnt's ideas with the suits, a mode could be a sort of capture the flagwith the flag being the Phazon Suit. Then all others try to destroy the mad pimped out Phazon Suit guy and pick it up for themselves.

That guy in the trailer definately has the phazon glow.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
"Capture the suit" is a clever idea, however I'm still against that kind of "FPS" multiplayer.

I don't think we should expect that kind of typical multiplayer since Metroid Prime's engine and controls weren't made for that.

Also I'll try to avoid ALL media this time. It was 5really annoying to find out about Ridley, Thardus, Metroid Prime before playing the game, and I knew about all the areas as well.

Ice_Climbers2

BRoomer
BRoomer
You know, just to expand on this multiple-Samus idea, I don't believe that is entirely out of the question. Not just for multiplayer but for the the main story mode too. At the end of Metroid Prime, Prime itself is crawling out of the phazon looking like a Samus clone. Who's to say we won't be confronted by Metroid Prime using a Power Suite lookalike? It sounds like Metroid Fusion all over again but the basic concept of Samus vs. Samus could appear fresh in a 3D setting. Now bring down to multiplayer. The idea of multiple people being a "Samus" isn't so outragous. It could all fit.

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
omg... can't wait for this one... the first one was amazing... this one will be 2
Too or aswell? ;) Or do you mean it will be the 2nd installment, in which case duh. :p

Capture the suit hey? I dont really mind if multiplayer isnt in, but I would love to be able to do it, even if it wasnt great. It'd still be really novel. I been playing Fusion lately and fekkin SA-X is a hardcore ***** man! She's kicka$s powerful. But yeah there's a Fusion topic so I'll limit my comments to: D@mn man.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Hey I have an idea.

There has been a minor gripe amongst the stubborn hardcore metroid fans...

"That multiplayer will ruin the atmosphere of the game, that you wont feel all alone on a planet anymore."

I say, what about you wont have any multiplayer mode to begin with at all? Then you will have to beat the adventure game before you are able to "destroy" the metroid feeling.

Imo, this would actually be a win-win situation.

The hardcore fans can't say that they ruined their experience beforehand.
The casual gamers who are stupid enough only to play multiplayer are forced to play the epic adventure...

Oh, and can you say rewarding when you beat the game;)

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Well I decided to "copy" the words of Matt the editor of IGN Cube.

Accodring to him:

There will be a Metroid Prime 2 playable demo available at Nintendo's pre e3 game show. May 12. (I expect the demo to be similar to how Metroid Prime's demo worked)

There will be a lot more 3rd person morph ball action.

The graphics should actually look noticeably better.

Looking good!

Can't wait to get info about that demo!

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
EGM has announced in their latest issue that Metroid Prime 2 will have a preview in their next issue. I've been to their boards, and it seems more people are interested in this (they're all asking "How can they make a preview with little to no details?") in comparison to KOTOR 2, which will be the cover story.

Shadowfury333

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowfury333
3DS FC
3497-0544-5961
Hopefully, the game will have multiplayer, and online multiplayer modes like: Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and Co-op.

para trooper

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by Kid Icarus

Actually, I just expect it to be some lame 1 page thing with a few screen caps from the E3 trailer and what they THINK will be in the game (EGM's trademark is speculation when they really have no information about something)...
EGM changes their editorial content as often as Michael Jackson changes faces.

I seriously doubt they have anything. Did anyone see their coverage of Jak 3 and Ratchet 3? They got one screen shot of each and picked them apart using pure speculation as an article.

EX: "....Ratchets got a stylish new spacesuit. Yep, thats all we got.

Ex: "this new weapon here looks like its go some kick to it"

Ok? thanks for clearing that one up EGM.

Bowser87

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Shadowfury333
Hopefully, the game will have multiplayer, and online multiplayer modes like: Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and Co-op.
No, I think it was already made clear that this would be too anti-Metroid. Leave deathmatches for all those other FPS games. Metroid is not that kind of game. A deathmatch and coop would ruin it. It has to at least come up with something innovative.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Speaking of Metroid... It seems that the movie is infact back on schedule... The company must have renewed the contract or something.

John Woo Bringing Metroid to the Big Screen Source: The Hollywood Reporter Wednesday, April 7, 2004

John Woo has optioned Nintendo's best-selling video game franchise Metroid for the big screen, says The Hollywood Reporter. Woo will produce the sci-fi movie and has the option to direct. Terence Chang and Brad Foxhoven will share production responsibilities. Lion Rock Productions' Suzanne Zizzi also is attached to the project.

The plan is to release the first film before 2006. The movie will center on the origins of the game's female protagonist, sexy bounty hunter Samus Aran, and relate her adventures battling the insidious life-sucking Metroids and their controlling force, Mother Brain.

"We have to assume the mainstream audience is unfamiliar with the property," Foxhoven said. "As for the rest of the film, we will stay true to the game and have Samus battling the Metroids and Mother Brain in a fight for control of the galaxy."

Nintendo will unveil its eighth "Metroid" game, "Metroid Prime 2," at its E3 press conference May 11.
Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=4202

Rejoice or don't. Your decision.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
The plan is to release the first film before 2006. The movie will center on the origins of the game's female protagonist, sexy bounty hunter Samus Aran, and relate her adventures battling the insidious life-sucking Metroids and their controlling force, Mother Brain.

We have to assume the mainstream audience is unfamiliar with the property," Foxhoven said. "As for the rest of the film, we will stay true to the game and have Samus battling the Metroids and Mother Brain in a fight for control of the galaxy."
I can hope that the director/screenwriter actually have some idea of what really happens in Metroid games, but chances are that they don't. Hopefully part of what's written is just what's been said by an uninformed reporter and not the true ideas of the director. "insidious life-sucking Metroids and their controlling force, Mother Brain" seems to make the Metroids out to be the cohorts of Mother Brain and mentions nothing of Space Pirates... "we will stay true to the game and have Samus battling the Metroids and Mother Brain in a fight for control of the galaxy" yet another reference to the interlacing of Mother Brain and the metroids, but the big thing is: when has this been a fight for the galaxy? A planet or two here and there, but nothing so wide-scaled.

It's always nice to hope that they actually do a good job and keep it in line with the games, but chances are that it won't, and the end result is a sucky Metroid movie :-/
I just really hope they surprise us and make it good.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
That's great news to hear. I hope they have Ridley and not make him sucky like in the games, although he was pretty good as Meta-Ridley in Metroid Prime.

Hmm in Metroid Prime 2 has anyone hear anything about Ridley? Will he be regular or Meta-Ridley?

Bowser87

Smash Lord
We don't know if he'll even be in the game. There hasn't been much news since E3 2003.
As for that movie, I have huge doubts it will stay true to the series, if it ever gets produced, especially since Hollywood is taking care of it. The only-and when I say only, I mean it-, only reason they're making a movie, is for money. So they don't care about what the fans of the series will think, all they want is to make the most money they can, and they won't do that by making a movie that will only appeal to those familiar with Metroid. It will most likely just be another of those uninspired action movies Hollywood is making every month or so. That is, if it does get released, which I doubt.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Obviously the movie will have a different feel than the games.

Many factors such as the no dialog, all alone etc. needs to be changed so that the movie will work.

I'm most happy that they say that it'll be about the early days of Samus.

*waits for more info, before judging the news*

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
This hasn't got anything to do with MP2, but it's Metroid related and I don't want to create a topic just for this.

Enjoy:

At Metroid Prime's launch in Europe NOE hosted many contests around the European countries including one where fans had to create the best Metroid websites. The prizes given out were some extreme rare(around 20 of them) life-size Samus(Metroid Prime version) statues estimated to be worth $2.000+.

Right now one of those statues is on sale on Ebay for $299. The problem is that the seller lives in Italy and buyer has to pick up the statue at his house...

Thanks to Infinity's End from the MetroidDatabase boards for these great pictures of the rare Samus trophy from Super Smash Bros.: Melee.

And finally here's a really awesome picture that won the first prize in an IGN boards coloring contest.

Tails the Fox

Smash Ace
Uh. She looked better in Metroid Fusion. That pic that won the coloring contest is beyond awsome. That person has some talent.

You guys may not like having a Metroid Multi-player but I will enjoy it seeing as my friend never returned my Perfect Dark.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Well my guess is that the multiplayer game displayed in one of those screenshots is a capture the flag game. Notice the Chozo artifact above the second player, plus the really high scores, plus the creator of capture the flag works for Retro.

Also is it just me, or does that black guy remind you of Master Chief from halo??

The Visor Hud has changed a lot as well.

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Oh. My. God. Even that first screen alone would have me giddy with excitement! What in the world is that thing? Is it Samus? Or is it one of those things that may have fused with the phazon suit? It sort of looks like a cut scene. There's a slight part of me that thinks it might be Samus because of what happened to her in Zero Mission. Did they say that that game would tie into the story of Prime 2? And it does look like Samus has a handheld weapon.

Capture the artifact! I sure hope they have some more intruiging multiplayer scenarios.

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
What, everyone gets excited now because Metroid Prime 2 officially has a multiplayer mode now? I don't get you guys...

Atleast the worm boss looks nice, and that black dude, BUT SERIOUSLY having multiplayer mode is way too early for Metroid IMO. Samus needs...how do you say, a side-kick if there's gonna be a Multiplayer mode. Maybe Ridley turning good would fit that role nice, don't know what to say anymore...

They better make the Multiplayer mode original!

Bowser87

Smash Lord
F***, like, WTF!!?? I click on those images, and they don't show up!
Well from what I can see, it looks good. I'm not very happy about the multi-player. I sure it's at least innovative and not a deathmatch, and something better than a simple "Capture the artifact", which would be a waste of space, because you can play that in basically every FPS. About having a sidekick, NO WAY, that would be even worse.
Am I the only one who can't see the full size version of these pics? It really sucks!!

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Those pics look GREAT!!! Though they should have made the colors of the suits like in Smash Bros. Melee. I definately will buy the game when it comes out.

Xija

Smash Cadet
Wow...those look great. And, since they will have time to refine them, the game will look absolutely incredible. <goes to playMetroid Prime>
Anyway, I can't wait to get it. I hope will at least be as good as the first.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by SabreAnt
Regardless of the multiplayer option, if it does exist, then it could be quite cool to shoot at other Samus'. I mean, a Samus wearing the Gravity Suit could be shooting at a Samus wearing the Power Suit, who's trying to Power Bomb another Samus wearing the Fusion Suit..

Perhaps the powerups could be suits? And only one player could have a suit at a time? So if you grab a superior suit, then you discard your old one and take up the better sheilding of the new.. having the Phazon suit as an optional unlockable could be cool. Maybe there could be only one copy of each suit per level, and to obtain the best, you gotta take the player with the suit you want down. You remeber in GoldenEye, how you'd snag the best weapon asap and constantly have ammo runs etc? (Well I did) You could pick up missile expansions and powerbomb pickups for use in combat. The would be awesome, just sit there and fire off a volley of super missile and the space jump to another platform, double back, check your flanks! THESE ARE HUMAN ENEMIES!! WOOHOO!

When its been said that wouldn't be fair to put Ridley as playable, I mean, it can be balanced. I mean duh, look at smash: Bowser's a slow piece of crud, but do you regret getting hit by the odd Forward Smash etc? YEP! Ridley could be like the slowest turd ever, but layeth the smacketh down on any hapless wanderers in range...

Well that's my 3 1/2 cents.
The only thing that bothers me is the lack of a quick 180° like they with Quake and other FPS's.

Ice_Climbers2

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can't imagin Retro not doing something to make the controls more suitible for mulitplayer. I'll bet a 180° spin or some other new feature will be implemented. Otherwise, yeah, it is gonna be a little bit awkward with regular Prime controls....

It all looks awesome! Once you get some pictures, you always want more! ;)

Fourside

Smash Ace
I don't really care about the multiplayer, since I don't have much friends, and they rarely go to my house. I'll just just player the normal 1P mode for a long time and have fun.

I am impressed with the game, like always. After all, it's Metroid, Nintendo's best franchine. They will never screw up, or they will face the wrath of thousands of loyal fans.

And don't forget about May 6. Metroid is gonna get 18 years old!

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
You could read the previous page...

Anyway click on this link

Here are the many suggestions on who that weird black Halo dude is:

• Regular Enemy. Space Pirates cracked the code to the Power Suit.
  • Metroid Prime wearing the Phazon Suit (could've been altered a bit since it was formed in a big blue blob of phazon)
  • The dead bounty hunter from Super Metroid
  • GF troops either helping or trying to kill Samus... (fishy conspiracy etc.)
  • Just some other bounty hunter that just happened to be at Tallon IV(or whereever MP2 takes place)

I'm rather lost I don't know what to think. And honestly I think it's too early and too few given details to even think up all these things. Hopefully EGM will have screens in their MP2 preview.

Top Bottom