• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Meta Knight's Weaknesses ~ (no joke topic!!!)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Cust in case you care: Yeah, I used to think MK should be banned but I changed my mind. He shouldn't even considered ban worthy (honestly, I even my doubts that he's the best character....). One common argument is that MK is supposed to have no exploitable weakness and therefore is not reasonably defeatable. I'll show you that it's not like that to (hopefully) end this nonsense. All numbers that come up are from training mode. They are a bit different in a real match.

His Size

His size is problematic. Quite a few characters can force him to jump release out of their grabs, which leaves MK almost always vulnerable to attacks or even regrabs. Most ppl ignore me when I bring this one up or just come with some strawman arguments: "MK is too hard to grab and these characters suck anyways lololol". This is rubbish. In Melee spacing was due to Wavedashing much "stricter" than in Brawl but you could still grab any top tier character if you get the chance. Marth had more range than MK has now (comparably) yet MK is supposed to be magically un-grabbable? This is obviously complete garbage. Jump releases must be considered a disadvantage against MK. Here's are some facts...

Characters, that can force MK to jump release: Donkey Kong, Zero Suit Samus, Marth, Zelda, Sheik, Ike, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Bowser and Peach (if anyone's missing, let me know).

Out of all these characters DK seems to be the only one who get's no free attack. All the other characters get one guaranteed attack. Ike, Peach, Zelda and Marth apparently only get a free dash attack. They either deal less dmg than a throw or have no KO potential. In most cases both is true.
However, Ganondorf, Falcon, Sheik, Bowser and Zamus will have better options. Ganon gets a free downB and Falcon even has a CG apparently but since both of them suck I'll even leave them out. That leaves us with Bowser, Zero Suit Samus and Sheik.

- Bowser: has a CG only due to MKs size. It also gives Bowser plenty of free attacks and often KO moves. With it he can KO MK with 0% at the second stage of Castle Siege (so much for the no counterpick argument).

- Sheik gets a free boost smash. Kills at 83% (center of FD + training mode)

- Zamus gets a free sideB. Apparently she doesn't even have to move. Kills at 105% (center of FD + training mode)

No matter what you think about it, it's a weakness that's in fact almost exclusive to MK. Other characters have the same weakness but they are not of interest now.

Good DI is bad for MK

Many ppl seem to be unable to DI MKs attacks correctly. Otherwise they wouldn't complain. If you can DI out of his moves correctly, half the work's done (honestly I'm more afraid of Sonics techchases than of MKs tornado). If you manage to DI correctly you'll see that many moves of MK have some weak spots, that you can exploit. The most obvious example is the tornado: The top center has almost no priority at all and it just happens to be the spot that you can reach the easierst via good DI. If you DI correctly (up+away) and fast enough, you basically just get a free Dair and in many cases, they deal much more dmg than the first few hits of the tornado do. Most dair deal between ~15% (Peach, Yoshi, Pika and many others) and ~20% (Ganon, Yoshi, Snake). Some of these moves have KO potential such as Links dair. That means: even if you fail to shield the tornado (completely shielding it leaves him open too btw) you can still avoid most hits. You'll take ~8% dmg but are able to deal twice as much. Tornado isn't a safe move. You don't even need to shield it to have a good weapon against it. That's the "fate" of weak multi-hit attacks in Brawl. You can DI at almost any time out of most of his moves and bring yourself in a better position for a free attack or a risky lose / lose situation for MK. The Shuttle Loop is such a move. It has little start-up lag, invincibilty frames and seemingly transcending priority but it's actually full of weak spots, that put him in bad positions.

Just in case: Snake, King Dedede, GnW and Donkey Kong don't have many moves like that, that bring the user in bad positions. Few characters have such moves at all. MK is one of the only (higher tiered) characters, who has such issues.

His weight

One of the only things that's accepted: MKs leight weight make him easy to KO, even with his godly recovery. Most ppl will tell you that he's strengths will outweigh this flaw. Of course they do. MK is top tier for a reason. But Snakes strengths outweigh his weaknesses too. That's the nature of top tier characters. What stays is one recognition: MK does have a weaknes.

I hope some ppl of you will read it and take it seriously. MK has 3 weaknesses and all of them can be exploited by multiple characters.

Now tell me: How many weaknesses does King Dedede have? Can you name 3? He has his large size, which makes him a victim against combos and multi-hit moves but that's it. You can't name more weaknesses than 3 because he doesn't have more than 3. You can't DI out of his moves easily because most of them are single hits. DI won't give you a free attack against his overpowered bthrow. Against MK it will in many cases. You can't kill Dedede under 100%. You can do this vs MK. You can't just grab him and get a free finishing move as a result. Sheik, Zamus and Bowser can do this vs MK.

Now don't ever say MK has no weakness again.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
You might want to note Marth has a tipper Fair out of a grab release. This is very good information, thank you.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I'm not certain you can label a temporary walkoff as a huge vulnerability, especially given the platforms to dodge around on while you wait for the stage to change.

Basically, whether MK can be grabbed or not calling one section of Castle Siege enough to make it a counter due to a walkoff cg is a bit of a stretch since the MK can just not take any chances that'll lead to grabs for a short period.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
"... these characters suck anyways lololol". This is rubbish.

Ganon gets a free downB and Falcon even has a CG apparently but since both of them suck I'll even leave them out.
^ I thought that was funny.

Nice points though. I agree with you on most of it.

I'm still neutral on the MK ban.

And I'm reading around to see what I think is best.

Thanks for the info.

Kookie

Smash Apprentice
See, I'm confused. Half the people that are Pro-ban want him banned because of his apparent lack of weaknesses, and the other half of the Pro-ban side want him banned because of his amazingly unbelievable advantages and overall well-balanced . . . ness.

So, if he's up for ban because of his flaring advantages, then this thread's effect is practically null.

viparagon

Smash Ace
Wow, you didn't even mention yoshi's grab release (i'm disappointed Gheb) and you think yoshi's dair does about 15%? it does over double that!

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Dedede's weaknesses:

1. As you said, he's big. Easy target. Bad shield. Due to this, he is easy to combo.
2. Bad aerial mobility (though 5 jumps).
3. His longer range attacks are laggy. Ftilt, Fsmash, Uair, dair, waddle dee toss. Ftilt isn't that slow, but a fast opponent can shield and then punish.
4. His recovery is fairly predictable and thus somewhat punishable.
5. Doesn't have such a great approach, and can't outcamp every character.

MK's size is also a plus. He is a smaller target and thus harder to hit. Matched with his great groundspeed and multiple jumps / glide, he is a good character to dodge projectiles and approach with.

You are correct though, those are MK's most significant weaknesses.

For the record, I am neither pro-ban nor anti-ban. I just do believe that Dedede definitely has more than 3 weaknesses.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Dedede's weaknesses:

1. As you said, he's big. Easy target. Bad shield. Due to this, he is easy to combo.
yeah

2. Bad aerial mobility (though 5 jumps).
lol MKs is also veeeeeeery bad <_<

longer range attacks are laggy. Ftilt, Fsmash, Uair, dair, waddle dee toss. Ftilt isn't that slow, but a fast opponent can shield and then punish.
A fully spaced ftilt can be punished by almost no character...also this is no real argument. It's like saying Snake is slow because his fsmash is...

His recovery is fairly predictable and thus somewhat punishable.
Not really o_0

5. Doesn't have such a great approach, and can't outcamp every character.
MK outcamps no characters so it's also a weakness

MK's size is also a plus. He is a smaller target and thus harder to hit. Matched with his great groundspeed and multiple jumps / glide, he is a good character to dodge projectiles and approach with.
His size is also a disadvantage....

For the record, I am neither pro-ban nor anti-ban. I just do believe that Dedede definitely has more than 3 weaknesses.
These aren't exploitable weaknesses. As an opponent you can't really make use of the lack of aerial mobility. By your "rules", MK has more than 3 weaknesses too

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
I agree with your points. Meta Knight is far from perfect. And I don't believe air speed can be listed as a disadvantage for Meta Knight; he still excels at aerial combat even with his slower air movement. Bad air speed is usually listed as a disadvantage if it hinders the character's recovery (like Link for example).

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I believe MK's size and weight are in the same category, in regarding to weakness.

Since grab releasing is your main argument with size. Weight is also a factor in that.

Also good DI is a weakness for all characters.

So therefor MK has 1 weakness.

?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I believe MK's size and weight are in the same category, in regarding to weakness.
No. A character can be light but rather tall (like Marth or Peach but Melee Mewtu is the most extreme example). And some are rather small but moderately heavy (Wolf, Ivysaur)

Since grab releasing is your main argument with size. Weight is also a factor in that.
Weigth has no impact on Jump Releases

Also good DI is a weakness for all characters.
No. Good DI won't make Snakes ftilt weaker. But it will make a lot of MKs attacks weaker

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
yeah

However his aerials come out very fast, and have similar range to Dedede's, with disjointed range from the back where Dedede doesn't have it.

A fully spaced ftilt can be punished by almost no character...also this is no real argument. It's like saying Snake is slow because his fsmash is...
Have you tested this? What kind of proof do you have to back this up?

DK's ftilt has nearly as much range as Dedede's. If he PS or even just shields, I believe he should be able to retaliate. And many characters should be able to punish out of a PS. I haven't tested it, but you can't say that his ftilt is nearly unpunishable without some kind of evidence.

Even if none of these work, jumping over the Ftilt is a surefire way to punish it with at least a few characters.

And I named quite a few more moves than just one, so how is this comparable to your Snake analogy at all? Several of his moves have noticeable and punishable lag. Snake's tilts are incredibly fast, with very good range. Dedede's only comparable move is his Utilt, which is one of his main killers.

Not really o_0
How is it not predictable? He has 5 jumps which he can fool around with, but his aerial mobility is poor so when he's sent fairly far he has to use his up b.

He can do 3 things with up b. Aim how far horizontally you want it to go, and then a choice between cancelling it by the peak or not.

This does not provide that many mixups. It has some mindgaming ability, definitely, but it is ultimately a punishable recovery.

However he has the best approach game of any character. Advancing is his best option, anyway. Dedede has awful approaches, so when he is being outcamped it is a lot harder for him.

Agreed. All I was looking for is that "also."

These aren't exploitable weaknesses. As an opponent you can't really make use of the lack of aerial mobility. By your "rules", MK has more than 3 weaknesses too
Sure you can make use of the lack of aerial mobility. One of Wario's main strengths is having a better aerial mobility than the majority of his opponents.

The recovery is definitely an exploitable weakness, as is the lag on some of his moves.

You can't not count lag on moves. The only reason you didn't mention it in your first post is because MK is the only character who DOESN'T really suffer from this weakness.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Yoshi =/= Dragonite

Also I don't like you Gheb. You are a very, very mean person, and you made me cry

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Also, the grab release disadvantages that MK has are to some of the tallest characters in the game.

Probably not making his size a factor in it, but his opponents size.

I'm basing this on the fact that Peach can GRCG (grab release chain grab) Ness as well.
But ness is also small, so I dunno.

Andurian

Smash Cadet
Lucario's Forward Smash and Down Air are very useful against the tornado as well.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
This list is actually very correct, and as MK players become more aware of it, it'll be less noticeable in tournaments. The difference is most pronounced against Sheik, who gets a full charged needle toss or a boost smash out of a grab, and the needles have good followups. Since Sheik also has gay f-tilt lawks that can lead to the grab at the appropriate percent, this is very bad for MK.

As a result I make a point to stay airborne against Sheik, though I haven't really been able to beat VJ (best Sheik in Vegas) yet.

Hype

Smash Lord
I think his size is more of an advantage.

- the fact that many caharacter can make him jump break isn't bad, the fact that he can't do anything for a while after a jump break is bad. olimar is smaller than him but doesn't gte affected that much by jumo breaks, wario on the other hand...

his small size make him harder to hit. falcos have to silent laser...

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Gheb about Shuttle Loop...although it's hard to time a hit against a looping MK properly, the loop almost always trades hits at the least. The loop has bad priority, but it's so fast that it's hard to get a hit in to contest it in the first place. If my memory serves me correctly, Peach has a really easy time hitting MK out of the loop.

Oh, and when I read that whole situation about forgetting Yoshi...

I lol'd. :p

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Lolololol MK's size? He should be thankful to be so small, now he's not that easy to combo, and as Pyro said, good MK's dont get grabbed. If he was any bigger, he would've been slower, completely killing MK. 1 Invalid points, 2 OK-points, but 2 OK-points isn't gonna save MK.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
yeah

But he can cover it up by attacking as he does so or just tornadoing. DeDeDe's best aerial, b-air, cannot be used as he is approaching because he must face an opponent as he approaches. Therefore, he's susceptible to lots of aerial stuff.

R.O.B. punishes DeDeDe's ftilt just fine. Snake can muscle right through. Game and Watch can just turtle through.

MK is most likely the best ledgecamper in the game.

It's much more of an advantage.

You're just splitting hairs here, hairs so fine that they can't even really be split to begin with.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Now I know what M2K meant when he said: "This is where people decide to be stupid." Instead of reading what I actually have to say, you come up with some Dedede vs MK BS, which I admit that it's just my opinion.

Rather than that you should check out what I say here. If you think it's too hard to beat MK use Sheik and kill him @Corneria. All you need is to deal 50% dmg and grab him. Oh, w8. MK is ungrabbable and it's completely impossible to deal 50% dmg to him. I should've known that rubbish like this would come up sooner or later. It's just as dumb as saying "Falco's pathetic offstage game doesn't matter 'cuz he's strong eveywhere else". Of course he is. He's a f*cking top tier character and it's obvious that his strengths outweigh his weaknesses by far. So what? MKs small size is not only an advantage. Just because his size helps him doesn't mean that it makes up for the fact, that it hurts him too. Point is: If he gets grabbed by one of the characters mentioned in the OP his size is a disadvantage. Just because his small size is usefull otherwise doesn't mean that it removes this weakness.

Staco

Smash Champion
rly nice thread gheb
I think lucario could do much better against mk, if the people would di better
because if they di right every hit lucario doenst dies under 150% (only if the mk can gimp the lucario, which is very hard to do)

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Now I know what M2K meant when he said: "This is where people decide to be stupid." Instead of reading what I actually have to say, you come up with some Dedede vs MK BS, which I admit that it's just my opinion.
Actually, I agree with your main premise. Meta is completely beatable. In fact I believe this is a good thread, it outlines his main weaknesses.

The only thing I took issue with was when you decided to say that Dedede has fewer weaknesses / better tools than MK. Dedede is definitely not better, nor does he have fewer weaknesses.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Cust in case you care: Yeah, I used to think MK should be banned but I changed my mind. He shouldn't even considered ban worthy (honestly, I even my doubts that he's the best character....). One common argument is that MK is supposed to have no exploitable weakness and therefore is not reasonably defeatable. I'll show you that it's not like that to (hopefully) end this nonsense. All numbers that come up are from training mode. They are a bit different in a real match.

His Size

His size is problematic. Quite a few characters can force him to jump release out of their grabs, which leaves MK almost always vulnerable to attacks or even regrabs. Most ppl ignore me when I bring this one up or just come with some strawman arguments: "MK is too hard to grab and these characters suck anyways lololol". This is rubbish. In Melee spacing was due to Wavedashing much "stricter" than in Brawl but you could still grab any top tier character if you get the chance. Marth had more range than MK has now (comparably) yet MK is supposed to be magically un-grabbable? This is obviously complete garbage. Jump releases must be considered a disadvantage against MK. Here's are some facts...

Characters, that can force MK to jump release: Donkey Kong, Zero Suit Samus, Marth, Zelda, Sheik, Ike, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Bowser and Peach (if anyone's missing, let me know).

Out of all these characters DK seems to be the only one who get's no free attack. All the other characters get one guaranteed attack. Ike, Peach, Zelda and Marth apparently only get a free dash attack. They either deal less dmg than a throw or have no KO potential. In most cases both is true.
However, Ganondorf, Falcon, Sheik, Bowser and Zero Suit Samus will have better options. Ganon gets a free downB and Falcon even has a CG apparently but since both of them suck I'll even leave them out. That leaves us with Bowser, Zero Suit Samus and Sheik.

- Bowser: has a CG only due to MKs size. It also gives Bowser plenty of free attacks and often KO moves. With it he can KO MK with 0% at the second stage of Castle Siege (so much for the no counterpick argument).

- Sheik gets a free boost smash. Kills at 83% (center of FD + training mode)

- Zero Suit Samus gets a free sideB. Apparently she doesn't even have to move. Kills at 105% (center of FD + training mode)

No matter what you think about it, it's a weakness that's in fact almost exclusive to MK. Other characters have the same weakness but they are not of interest now.

Good DI is bad for MK

Many ppl seem to be unable to DI MKs attacks correctly. Otherwise they wouldn't complain. If you can DI out of his moves correctly, half the work's done (honestly I'm more afraid of Sonics techchases than of MKs tornado). If you manage to DI correctly you'll see that many moves of MK have some weak spots, that you can exploit. The most obvious example is the tornado: The top center has almost no priority at all and it just happens to be the spot that you can reach the easierst via good DI. If you DI correctly (up+away) and fast enough, you basically just get a free Dair and in many cases, they deal much more dmg than the first few hits of the tornado do. Most dair deal between ~15% (Peach, Yoshi, Pika and many others) and ~20% (Ganon, Yoshi, Snake). Some of these moves have KO potential such as Links dair. That means: even if you fail to shield the tornado (completely shielding it leaves him open too btw) you can still avoid most hits. You'll take ~8% dmg but are able to deal twice as much. Tornado isn't a safe move. You don't even need to shield it to have a good weapon against it. That's the "fate" of weak multi-hit attacks in Brawl. You can DI at almost any time out of most of his moves and bring yourself in a better position for a free attack or a risky lose / lose situation for MK. The Shuttle Loop is such a move. It has little start-up lag, invincibilty frames and seemingly transcending priority but it's actually full of weak spots, that put him in bad positions.

Just in case: Snake, King Dedede, GnW and Donkey Kong don't have many moves like that, that bring the user in bad positions. Few characters have such moves at all. MK is one of the only (higher tiered) characters, who has such issues.

His weight

One of the only things that's accepted: MKs leight weight make him easy to KO, even with his godly recovery. Most ppl will tell you that he's strengths will outweigh this flaw. Of course they do. MK is top tier for a reason. But Snakes strengths outweigh his weaknesses too. That's the nature of top tier characters. What stays is one recognition: MK does have a weaknes.

I hope some ppl of you will read it and take it seriously. MK has 3 weaknesses and all of them can be exploited by multiple characters.

Now tell me: How many weaknesses does King Dedede have? Can you name 3? He has his large size, which makes him a victim against combos and multi-hit moves but that's it. You can't name more weaknesses than 3 because he doesn't have more than 3. You can't DI out of his moves easily because most of them are single hits. DI won't give you a free attack against his overpowered bthrow. Against MK it will in many cases. You can't kill Dedede under 100%. You can do this vs MK. You can't just grab him and get a free finishing move as a result. Sheik, Zero Suit Samus and Bowser can do this vs MK.

Now don't ever say MK has no weakness again.

I agree Meta Knight does have weaknesses. He's not as unbeatable as some people make him out to be. I mean Zero Suit Samus can like infinate grab him somehow. He has even matchups against Yoshi, Zero suit samus and some people say olimar too. He's good but not unstoppable. I agree with this thread completely. People are learning new stuff to counter him too, like I've heard that you can DI out of his F and B airs somehow.

Top Bottom