• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight's New Match Up Thread: Meta Knight

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
With DTL's proper premission, I'll be on charge of the MU discussion.

Next one to discuss is the Ditto.

Tips, tricks, what to do, what not to do, how to beat certain stuff... Everything that could be useful.

GO!

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
What sticky?
The "MU Database" is currently a Directory (with 1 link), and "MK's Revenge" is really old. Plus, the Q/A thread is flling with MU questions of a small number of characters.

I just want to continue what DTL started.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I know but he won't be updating it anymore, so I mean why don't you make a new database thread to replace his

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Because he's still there, but he got down with it because he wanted not to hear people complaining about MK.
I can make the threads and summaries, he just needs to link them.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Spacing with Fair, Dtilt, and Ftilt are good. If they shield a lot, grab them. fair is NOT SAFE on shield btw
If you grab them at low% (around 0-20%) and they DI down and away your dthrow, you can actually ftilt them and this is almost always guaranteed.
If they DI up, uair them. If they air dodge after DIng up, you can uair> nair and this will connect basically all the time. M2K showed me this at Apex

Ftilt 3 out ranges everything MK has. Dash attack can be good for a surprise approach, but it can be shield grabbed easily so using this predictably is really bad.

You should always fast fall your F-Airs, but to do this properly you must wait until the F-Air animation ends, THEN fast fall. Otherwise, you will have more landing lag than normal and the F-Air will not auto cancel. If you do it correctly, the lag is pretty hard to punish, but MK can D-Tilt the other since it has great reach and it comes out very fast. If you space it correctly, it's safe if they shield it.

MK's sword has transcendant priority, so all of his non B moves except dash attack and glide attack will beat out tornado.

TORNADO VS TORNADO: I asked M2K about this and there are 2 factors to it. The tornado that is higher up and pressed more B usually wins. This makes sense because Tornado's hitboxes are put together so it's like a cup, and at the top is where MK is vulnerable.

If they approach a lot with dash attacks you can also SH/FH dair.
Grounded SL is a good way to punish things out of shield. This kills at around 130% fresh with no DI.
If you GSL, and miss, the other MK will probably try to punish you with their own GSL.
IF YOU KNOW THEY WILL DO THIS, DO A GLIDE ATTACK ASAP because it will trade hits with their GSL and they take more damage. I'm not sure if this is 100% guaranteed, I just saw M2K do this a lot.
If you see the other MK miss their GSL, usmash covers all options. It doesn't really do much damage, but this way you don't take damage. You can also start juggling them with uairs, this is good too

BTW if you get D thrown at low %, you can also buffer an air dodge and then ftilt right after. This can catch the other MK off guard.

MK can actually "chain grab" MK. If MK air releases, you can dash grab them and this is a guaranteed regrab. If they ground release, I don't think there's anything guaranteed.

When you are above MK, you're at a disadvantageous position. It's safe to jump a couple times and then glide away to the edge so you don't get juggled, but you also need to make sure you have jumped high enough so the MK can't shuttle loop you or hit you with uairs.

If you are the one doing the juggling, if they don't do the glide thing, space uairs and fast fall them and it is easier to space like that. Uair is also faster than dair, so you don't always have to fast fall.

When MK is off stage, you should stand at the ledge. If they recover low, but high enough, do a ledge drop nair > reverse SL so it auto snaps the ledge. This can be good for edge guarding. If they are smart then they will stay lower and throw uairs and that can beat your ledge drop nair.
One thing I see M2K do is he will grab the ledge and do a ledge drop Tornado if the MK is below. Use this if you know they are going to try to recover with SL, because Tornado will suck in MK if the MK does a SL.
Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0QpYIvLiPY#t=0m21s

If the MK is recovering with nado, you can do a ledge hop bair, and this can be good sometimes. I saw M2K do this a lot at SuperCon recently, and it can work really well. You just have to know when to use it as the tornado comes. It's not that hard to space either. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMaV7f-Dmd8#t=2m04s
If their nado is above you while you are grabbing the ledge, uair them. That's all you can do pretty much if they are above you.

If you know that they will try drill rush, time it so you grab the ledge, and do a ledge drop nair. I saw M2K do this at apex and it can stage spike in a really weird angle. I'm not really sure how to explain it.

If the MK is gliding at you, tornado them. They get sucked in really easily and glide attack doesn't beat Tornado.

Let's say you grab the ledge. It's pretty safe to start planking and wait to see what they will do. They will most likely charge an Fsmash. Charging an fsmash is fairly safe because it out ranges a ledge hop fair. DO NOT DO A LEDGE HOP FAIR this is a bad option in general.

What you can do to stop them from their fsmash charging is plank and then recover with a surprise tornado. This usually works if they dont expect it. Another thing you can do is ledge drop, then jump> airdodge onto the stage and quickly buffer all 3 hits of ftilt because this out ranges fsmash. The spacing and timing for this has to be really good so don't do it stupidly.

Don't fall for the tearbear stare. Fsmash has little lag and trying to punish it often ends up you taking damage instead. Uthrow kills at around 170% ish iirc.

If you are gliding to the edge, and the MK is standing at the edge charging an fsmash, glide attack can actually beat this if you tilt up your glide SLIGHTLY. If not, it's like 50/50 may trade hits

When you are recovering, tornado and DC are probably the safest. Tornado is really versatile in terms of mobility so you can keep your opponent guessing where you will land/how fast you will go etc. DC makes you invincible for a couple frames and has minimal lag so it's not bad either i guess.

gliding low and stopping at like a 45 degree angle from the ledge and throwing uairs is pretty safe. then you can DC onto the ledge/on stage. if you grab the ledge, and the other mk is standing at the ledge they can fast fall off the ledge before you grab the ledge and if you let go of the ledge to try to start planking they can uair and you can possibly get stage spiked

grabs are really really good, edge guarding/juggling is where i get most of my damage

STAGES: Ban your least favorite stages, and CP your favorite ones. LOL

That's all I know

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Aight, here we go.

First of all, agreed @ Kaffei about Ftilt/Dtilt/Fair. These moves will, with simple reads, get your opponent's damage up easily while keeping yours low. Dtilt is good against MK if you can read him well. For example, if you trip him with Dtilt, if he doesn't move, then Ftilt him. Sometimes I like to condition my opponents by charging Fsmash when I trip them. Then they won't roll towards me. From here I can do a Ftilt or dash grab based off of what they do off of reaction. It's all free damage.

Worth noting - MK pretty much ***** any character from 0 if he lands a glide attack. It's not totally reliable, but it's something worth looking out for, whether it be landing it or defending against it. It's easy to beat - just tornado or get behind him. But if you land it, then Uair Nair/Fair is easy peazy.

How to beat tornado: Ftilt beats it pretty nice. If you're already getting hit by it, then DI out and Dair. Otherwise a lot of your attacks will beat it - Fair, Dair, Smashes, Tornado if you're above, etc.

How to use tornado: The safest place to tornado MK is above. Don't just tornado straight at MK. It's stupid and you'll get hit by something. You'll want to watch out for GSL if you're in front and above MK. If he's shielding, you can try and shield poke or just move away.

Dthrow is probably your best throw against MK. If they fall in front of you with an airdodge, you can Fsmash them. If they DI away, walk forward and see if an Ftilt will land. If they're going far, airdodge or not, you can dash attack them and get an Utilt or something. If you GET Dthrown, DI-ing towards and using Dair is generally safe on MKs that will chase. Otherwise just get away because MK has a lot of safe options after Dthrow-ing you. At higher %, I like to go for Bthrow or Uthrow for kill setups and damage, respectively, because it's harder to combo out of Dthrow. Note - Uthrow does the most damage of MK's throws.

MK can be easy to gimp if he isn't safe. Dropping with Nairs/Dairs are easy stage spikes, and UpB afterward just seals the deal.

Edgeguarding: If MK tries recovering with tornado, Dair or wait and punish if you can - preferably with a grab in case it's autocanceled. If he's going for glide, tornado easily beats it. Or bait the glide and punish with your choice of move. Dimensional Cape is actually fairly safe to recover with in the MU. Drill Rush is probably one of the harder ones to beat, too. Drill Rush can potentially beat Shuttle Loop if you drill straight into the MK using SL.

Nair OoS is pretty useful in this MU. Use it on ledge get-ups, glide attacks, etc. Kind of a reaction thing.

I agree with what Kaffei said about seeing what your opponent will do to edgeguard you. Surprise tornados work, and you can also bait with Dair and airdodge to the ground to be safe.

Don't be predictable with Shuttle Loop. It's too easy to punish. If you shield GSL, you can just punish with Uair or Fair. A lot of MKs won't even go for the glide attack and they'll get hit either way.

This is a match I like to switch up my playstyle with. Defensive is usually a smart choice. You can read and punish. Just rack up the damage early with Ftilts and Dtilts and a few aerials. Maybe glide attack combo if they fall for it, in which case you should get at least 30%. No MK wants to get hit by Ftilt. It hurts really bad to get hit by it. If you're using it at low % and walking forward and backwards a little bit to mix up the spacing, you can condition your opponent to expect and Ftilt when you walk forward. Expect grabs early on, so throw in some Dtilts, too. From there you may get free Ftilts or a grab, depending on what they/you do. Next time, they'll drop their shield too late and after an Ftilt you can walk forward and grab.

OH btw when I say Ftilt, I don't always mean all the hits. For baiting and spacing, use just the first hit, maybe the second.

Don't be stupid with tornado. Seriously. You can hit through tornado in so many ways. And at high %, stay away from tornado unless you KNOW it's going to hit. Otherwise, you might just get an Utilt through the bottom and die. Nobody wants to die like that.

Dropping Bairs can get you some nice hits. The first two hits will give you enough, so time it so that the third hit doesn't come out. Sometimes, this will land you a kill. Bair into reverse Dsmash can work. Also Bair into reverse Ftilts, or a grab, etc.

Summary of my Thoughts
Spacing Ftilts, Dtilts, and Fairs (ESPECIALLY THE FIRST TWO) are REALLY important in this matchup. Don't challenge MK's shield from the air. Just space tilts from it and he won't be able to punish you. If you mix it up in terms of spacing and what hits you throw out, you may get a grab or two in there, leading to more combos. Reading and understanding your opponent is key, here.

Defense is good.

Don't be predictable with glide attack. If you see an opening and you know it'll hit, go for it. At 0, glide attack into Uair then Nair/Fair will get you some great starting damage. Otherwise, you can beat glide attack with shield and a Nair OoS or grab, depending on where they attack, or a tornado.

Test what your opponent will do when you're on the ledge. With drop Uair, you're totally safe.

Be careful when recovering - Shuttle Loop goes through tornado and drill rush. Drill Rush, however, can, potentially, beat Shuttle Loop if you aim down onto the rising, SL-ing MK. Sometimes it's better to jump back with some aerials, then mix in a Dimensional Cape.

Don't go for obvious kills. A couple discreet setups I like are things like first two hits of Bair into Dsmash, grab release into regrab for air release, or Dsmash if they ground release and don't react properly (test what they'll do earlier and read their habits) or get another grab and get free damage with Uthrow. This is where defensive play is important. Keep racking damage up until the opportunity for a kill arises. Almost all of MK's moves are punishable by MK, it's just a matter of figuring out with one your opponent will do. Stay away from getting in the air or using tornado/GSL when at high %. Tornado and GSL can BOTH be Utilt'd, among other things.

I think that's it for now.

tl;dr - Space tilts. Mix things up. Read your opponent well, then punish. Play defensively at high %.

Oh yeah, and stages. This is obviously just preference because it's a ditto. I personally like Brinstar, but I'm fine with any neutral or CP, really, because it's a ditto. xP

It's been a long day. I might come back and read this over tomorrow, almost certainly with edits in mind.

EDIT: Post 3333. I hope it's good.

EDIT 2 thanks to Orion: Getting grabs is important. It's free damage, and at low %, with simple reads, it sets up for more damage. They're also good for putting you in advantageous positions (e.g. Bthrow putting him behind and above you, pressuring him to get away/airdodge to avoid a SL). etc.

lilseph

Smash Ace
Well i was beaten to the "insert really long post here to help out MU". Oh well, Read what they got up there i can't really see anything to add to what they already got. I agree with everything they put up there.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Let's say you grab the ledge. It's pretty safe to start planking and wait to see what they will do. They will most likely charge an Fsmash. Charging an fsmash is fairly safe because it out ranges a ledge hop fair. DO NOT DO A LEDGE HOP FAIR this is a bad option in general.

What you can do to stop them from their fsmash charging is plank and then recover with a surprise tornado. This usually works if they dont expect it. Another thing you can do is ledge drop, then jump> airdodge onto the stage and quickly buffer all 3 hits of ftilt because this out ranges fsmash. The spacing and timing for this has to be really good so don't do it stupidly.
Actually Glide attack beats fsmash pretty much 100% of the time and is a good option to use if someone is spamming fsmash on the edge. They can bait you with fsmash and up-b your glide attack however.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Actually Glide attack beats fsmash pretty much 100% of the time and is a good option to use if someone is spamming fsmash on the edge. They can bait you with fsmash and up-b your glide attack however.
doesnt work vs good mks, however youre right.

do you understand HOW LONG IT TAKES TO SETUP A MOFFUGIN GLIDE

its like

k i can do all these jumps or shuttle loop and start flying at you. hes DEFINITELY not gonna stop charging fsmash and just hit me for this.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm just saying he said it trades with fsmash half the time when it actually beats it. And you would be surprised how many MK players don't know that and continue to charge fsmash lol. Also, you can drop down uair then shuttle loop while he's charging and if he lets go before you get there you can cancel your shuttle loop and grab the edge before he shuttle loops. It's all a baiting game.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Just ftr, sometimes I get my glide attacks by running away, then pressing X twice really fast, holding it the second time, and back so that I turn around and glide towards them. If it doesn't look like I'll get the glide attack, then I'll just cancel. It's a good way to bait.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I'm just going by what M2K said, since he is the best at the ditto. If you tilt the glide slightly up and then glide attack it will always beat fsmash. If not it depends on how well you space it. That is what he told me at apex

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Let's see...at Supercon and the nights before and after it, I played...m2k, Tyrant, Havok, MikeHAZE, and Cheese in MK dittos.

I feel like I know this pretty well now due to the help of everyone but m2k...lol. Havok was especially helpful. And handsome.

I'll post about this when I'm not Kirby's Down B animation sometimes'd.

(the stone one)

BTW this post in completely safe on moderator's shields.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I think you get the most damage off from edge guarding and juggling

@ . @

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Smart recovery is soooooo important in this MU.

A really good recovery option is to recover low, and at a slight diagonal angle from the stage, so that you can safely cover yourself with multiple jumps and uairs, and then DC to the ledge when you have the chance. If you space it right, it's really safe because if they grab the ledge, you'll go past the ledge and onto the stage, and if they don't have the ledge (which, with multiple jumps and uairs, you can stop that fairly easily) you'll auto snap to it. M2K was telling me at bio about how ridiculously safe that option is.

And a ledge option I have seen said yet is ledgehop air dodge buffered Froll. It can work very nicely as a mixup and gives you a HUGE positional advantage if you land it.

Getting back onto the onto the stage when you're on the ledge is an absolute *****. Luckily you have a ****load of options to help get onto the stage again, so just make sure you mix those up.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
DC in general is a really good recovery option. There are so many mixups you can do with it to get back on stage that I never see anyone try.

People don't innovate or experiment enough, imo.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
If you don't know what you're doing in the ditto, recovering low is a ******** idea. MK can easily float below the ledge waiting for you to recover low and auto snap SL you to death. You have to realize M2K is the best at this game and match up, his advice might be right, but it's not something everyone will be pulling off

Just be smart about your recovery and mix it up. Go high and low when the opportunity calls for it. Don't just do one or the other.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
DC in general is a really good recovery option. There are so many mixups you can do with it to get back on stage that I never see anyone try.

People don't innovate or experiment enough, imo.
thisssssssssssssssssssssssssss

@P4: That's why you space yourself so the SL can't hit you!! But yeah, mix up =D

:metaknight:

theunabletable

Smash Lord
If you don't know what you're doing in the ditto, recovering low is a ******** idea. MK can easily float below the ledge waiting for you to recover low and auto snap SL you to death. You have to realize M2K is the best at this game and match up, his advice might be right, but it's not something everyone will be pulling off

Just be smart about your recovery and mix it up. Go high and low when the opportunity calls for it. Don't just do one or the other.
If they're low like you're describing, you can just tornado right onto the stage. It beats SL when SL is at its peak distance.

Orion*

Smash Researcher

id rather scrubs lose to jason because they recovered properly, but just made Very small technical errors or reads that will come with time, than just recover like an idiot and get ***** by mid level players ._.

we generally should strive to make players the best lololol

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Unless something else got to be said, I'm starting the summary.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
As for recovering low... be careful and watch the other player's actions. If they grab the edge near the point of your recovery, you might be in for an invincible nair.

Also, I hear that your hurtbox gets strangely large at the end of dimensional cape. Though to be honest, I only have anecdotal evidence at this point, but I've heard of people getting grabs from farther away than they should. If anyone can back that up, that'd be cool. Idk, I'd be wary about using dimensional cape vs an MK that's already on the edge or near the airspace around the edge.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Maybe his cape has a hurtbox. Dunno since no one really uses DC in situations where it can be punished like that.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
@ Tuen; That is really weird about the cape having a hurtbox.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
As for recovering low... be careful and watch the other player's actions. If they grab the edge near the point of your recovery, you might be in for an invincible nair.
that shouldnt work to often anymore

drop REALLLY low and when theyre invince frames run out shuttle them XD

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Lets not forget that grab release! especially not on castle siege! :D
(dunno if that was mentioned or not yet)

I loooove coming up with trixies out of the grab release. <_<

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Lets not forget that grab release! especially not on castle siege! :D
(dunno if that was mentioned or not yet)

I loooove coming up with trixies out of the grab release. <_<
MK can't GR MK, he only air breaks when the held MK mashes out, otherwise it's always a ground break

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Yes there is a problem; because in P4's world no one ever mashes out ever if there is ever the risk of grab release shenanigans >_>
(I'm kidding (mostly), btw :p)

Although, I mean, you're really unlikely to walk off GR CG a smart MK and get a kill from it. As a mixup, though, it's a pretty good option. Like after your second or third grab, do a pummel or two and grab release > regrab for the extra damage + huge positional advantage.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Basically what Table said >_>

You're not gonna walk a smart MK off. I'm just pointing out the fact that you can't technically GR MK.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yes, but it still WILL happen sometimes. Then you can get your extra damage.

Top Bottom