• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Video Thread

theunabletable

Smash Lord
For MK vs Wario, just watch Dojo play against Wario. I think he has some matches against Bassem and DMG.

He plays it really, really well.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I think it's tyrant, TKD did win a tourney in cali a while ago defeating tyrant in the process

theunabletable

Smash Lord
That might be Tyrant, from when TKD came up into SoCal for the Chu tourney.

I'm not sure, though, too lazy to go check the TKD vs Tyrant matches.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
@Smash GOD: Here's my advice on the third match
EDIT: Oh ****, this is the video thread, not the critique thread >_>

**** my multitabbing habits and having this tab open since a few days ago...

Well I figure I already have a lot of this written down, and you might appreciate some advice from an outsiders point of view, so I might as well leave this here since I already wrote it lol...

0:05: Why the dash dancing? I guess you’re a Melee playing and it’s habit, but it really isn’t that useful in Brawl with tripping and all, and doing it there really didn’t accomplish anything…

0:07: Why did you uair after that glide attack hit? You had so many far better follow-ups (could’ve nair>uair’d for the M2K combo, or seeing the way he DI’d, you could’ve grabbed)). I mean like what options did the fullhop uair even cover?

0:10: Could’ve nair’d oos. You were facing the wrong way, grabbing doesn’t do anything lol.

0:12: When Peach is dairing at that area, it beats shuttle loop (or you’ll just plain miss, like you did). Shuttle looping was a really bad option there. Waiting a bit and ledge jump nairing when he’d DI back to the stage, since he’s not gonna air dodge (or even a ledge jump dair after he DI’d back to the stage). Maybe just a ledge drop > double jump uair. Or taking your chance to roll back onto the stage. Anything but that SL lol.

0:14: That tornado really wasn’t smart. Even though it didn’t get punished (but it could have been), you were so far away that there was no way you were gonna hit with it. It just wasn’t a good option, really. I guess as some sort of bait assuming he’d mess up, but that’s really just too risky, imo.

0:17: God you dash so much lol. It got you punished there. Walking up is a very good option, since it doesn’t give you a 1% chance of tripping, and you have more options from a walk, including not having your ability to shield restricted ever (you can’t shield during an initial dash. Which is why you couldn’t shield that glidetoss which might’ve been doable on reaction, had you been walking :p)

0:20: Punished for dashing in again.

0:25: She landed right next to you while you were shielding so you decided to… shield drop dtilt? Idk I would’ve nair’d, since it might’ve beaten the possible spotdodge (which he did), and would’ve had higher reward with about the same risk.

0:28: Dash attack? Input error or something?

0:30: Last time you glided at her you used the glide attack. A mixup might’ve been better (well you got punished for the glide attack this time, so a mixup would’ve definitely been better).

0:33: Why’d you run up, shield, then grab immediately? I’m pretty sure that if Peach had getup attacked you, and it hit your shield, your grab would’ve come out too fast with that timing and wouldn’t have grabbed her anyways. A dash grab, or running up and simply shielding and waiting would’ve worked better (could’ve punished her roll into you on reaction (I think… might be wrong), could’ve punished her get up on reaction, punished her get up attack on reaction, or if she’d rolled away she would’ve been in a ****ty spot and you’d have a major positional advantage).

0:36: Jab. Okay I don’t even need to say more, do I? Just make sure to practice on jabbing a second time after your first jab miraculously doesn’t get punished >_>

0:42: Ehh that wasn’t a very good Froll. I mean the only option it really covered was if the Peach had just made a mad dash towards you, which is pretty unlikely lol…

0:46: I liked that. I should start doing that on people’s shields….

0:58: Start canceling your SLs better. When the SL hits the apex of it (as soon as you start the glide), hit B, then down. You’ll cancel it, and you fastfall immediately, and auto-cancel. It’s way less laggy; you could’ve gotten punished for how much slower your SL cancel was.

1:02: Imo that FH fair wasn’t a very good option. Sure it would’ve hit her if she’d ledge jumped, but if you were just standing on the ground when she ledge jumped, she’d be in a horrible position anyways, and on the ground you could cover her other options.

1:12: Why the back getup roll? Bad option in that scenario. I mean it’s slower than just getting up, doesn’t have a hitbox out like a getup attack would, doesn’t really cover any space at all right where you were, and the roll in the other direction would’ve gotten you more distance.

1:20: Okay that was just bad lol. Don’t do that drill rush there XD It’s a pretty bad offensive option unless you’re in very specific scenarios.

1:50: Gah once again you had her on the ledge, which is a terrible position for her, and you did a really situational attempt to stop her from getting up. Idk I just think you could’ve done better to try and keep her in her really disadvantaged position.

2:10: There you go, you kept her in a bad position, which made her get nervous and try and get away from the ledge and got her killed. You could’ve gotten a kill earlier, though, when you shielded the getup attack, I think.

2:15: The other time you did a glide toss you dsmashed. Just saying that mixing it up with a grab might’ve been your smarter option…

2:30: Terrible time to tornado, imo. She had a turnip in hand, AND a lot of time to react to it? Bad option there, I think.

2:42: Awwww you had the gimp! You could’ve DC’d to the ledge and she would’ve been dead.

2:50: Why’d you SHAD? Could’ve like nair’d her on reaction, I think after that ledge roll, or shielded to cover the getup attack. Why a SHAD, though? I don’t really know what options that covered better than a shield, or a nair, or even a pivot grab. Hell dashing towards the ledge probably wasn’t a good idea. Walking towards it would’ve been better, I think.

2:57: Third time in a row you’ve glided at her, then glide attacked. She could’ve punished that oos, too, I think.

3:05: I literally laughed out loud when I saw your DI :p Work on that…

3:18: That was pretty good. Covered her options well, etc.

I don’t have time to comment on more, though. That was more time consuming than I’d expected lol.

Biggest problems I noticed: Really predictable with glide attacks, you dash too much (dashing limits a lot of options. Walking is often simply better), need to cancel your shuttle loops optimally, and work on trapping your opponent on the ledge.

The ledge is such a bad position for every character (even MK. He’s really only good on the ledge when he’s not forced to get off of it by LGLs lol).

That’s just what I noticed, though, and I could be wrong. I’m bad at this game, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
im active enough to, but how would it work?

would i just remake the thread or would i somehow have magical powers on the first post

etecoon

Smash Hero
they can just switch out the OP

I was going to volunteer seeing as half of the "updates" here were copy pasta'd from my all is brawl thread anyway and that'd give me some reason to update that again too in spite of no one actually using all is brawl's forums, but orion would do well with it

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Well I'll give you guys a day to figure out who you want to appoint to be in charge of the video thread and come back then.

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah definitely give it to orion if he wants it, I was just saying that I was about to volunteer for it too LOL

etecoon

Smash Hero
me/jupz, probably more jupz but I don't remember, doesn't mean I'd actually do better with it now though lol

like I siad w/e orion wants to do with it idc

etecoon

Smash Hero
your mad good at what you do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9BIENyiH8I#t=4m25s

I'm going to have the most amazing combo vid ever pretty soon if people keep recording me XD

well, second most amazing, patience is still the most entertaining **** ever

and like I said, I'll do it if orion wnats me too or if not w/e.

actually he already said it and when I thought about it this would be a good project to force me to watch more MK vids, I need to study better players more

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Kaffei...have you ever actually met M2K? Before I did, I was PERHAPS an even bigger m2k fan than you. I'm not going to say I've ever jacked off to one of his videos, but I'll admit I've jacked off while one was playing.

But then I met him. And I played him. And...I realized it's not what I thought it was.

But Havok. Oh my god Havok. After playing his MK, Snake, and Marth, I realized he's definitely the player to meatride. And Mike obviously, but he plays Marth and I only pretend to.

And Tyrant. He's amazing. He plays so smart it's ridiculous.

The players that aren't as good as m2k but strive to be are the real best players. Really.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Ya I got to play him at Apex. Best day of my smash life =D
I watched him play in pools and brackets and tried to learn more stuff.
He is my favorite smasher to watch in Melee and Brawl.

DTL said:
But then I met him. And I played him. And...I realized it's not what I thought it was.
It was for me! I hope I can go to Pound 5 cus I wanna play him again

Exdeath

Smash Master
I found that playing against M2K in singles was disappointing, but playing against M2K in doubles was inspiring.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
well i guess im the op now xD

since i guess i can order everything, for me personally when i watch vids of high level mks i usually look by matchup.

anyone want me to organize it like that or does every like it player specific? (theres enough mks at this point where it honestly looks kinda dumb XD)

or the Best solution imo,

if a mod p4, or omni could do this, also give me the second post

the 1st post i will put all the new vids that people want to see

the second post i will archive in a matchup based way so that people who are curious how to play a mu have something to study

etecoon

Smash Hero
personally I've always indexed by players but by MU is probably better because a lot of times people go looking for vids looking for idea's in specific MU's, it's just more difficult to maintain that way when you have people that switch characters a lot

I also like it indexed by players because you can use it to say things like listing overswarm vs shugo as OS' only vids <_< but for non-troll purposes yeah, by MU is good

Kaffei

Smash Hero
OS would be the last MK I would watch

Orion, I would personally prefer it if it were by match up, that's just me though.

clowsui

Smash Legend
it's not like OS wasn't successful in our region with MK for a long time :confused:

like obviously he isn't as good as other MKs and/or doesn't match up to the current metagame standard but it's not really fair to his results and his ability to just dismiss his videos without any sort of basis

obviously there's some sort of mw bias in me but i really didn't think OS' MK was THAT bad lol

Kaffei

Smash Hero
That's my point; OS was/is (I am not aware if he is active or not) not a bad MK, but it is 2010 and I would really like to see more current videos.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
im not midwest biased, there are a lot of midwest players i give credit, and OS isnt horrible, but in no way is or WAS his videos ever a video i personally would watch to aspire to.

just being honest

id watch tearbear before that *** by MILES, and i already wrote my post about how i think his style is very limiting to metaknights potential, just because at least i LEARN something when i watch him. niggz is mad smart, and has some unique ****

Top Bottom